Report: Millwall 0-0 Charlton

MILLWALL dropped to seventh in the Championship table after being held to a bore draw by Charlton at The Den. 

The Lions are now on their longest unbeaten run in 36 years after going 13 games without defeat, but were left frustrated after failing to break down the Addicks.

Millwall were again without winger James Henry who, despite having completed a one-match ban, failed a late fitness test with a calf strain, meaning boss Kenny Jackett named an unchanged side from the midweek win at Wolves.

The Lions almost took the lead within 20 seconds of the kick-off when Liam Feeney darted into the final third before unleashing a shot that swerved just wide of Ben Hamer's goal.

Feeney was the bright spark in the opening exchanges and his 15th-minute cross, destined for Keogh, was deflected into the path of Jimmy Abdou but the midfielder could not get a shot away.

Shortly after, Keogh's left-footed strike was well-held by Hamer before Chris Taylor dragged an effort wide of the near post as the Lions worked through the gears.

Charlton manufactured an opportunity of their own when Dale Stephens' pass was brought down by Rob Hulse, but he fired wide of David Forde's goal.

In the 30th minute, Keogh's teasing cross deceived everyone bar Feeney at the back stick, but the winger's shot rolled a yard wide of the bottom corner.

With half-time approaching, Feeney blazed over from inside the area before Abdou went close with a rare effort on goal as the two sides went into the interval locked at 0-0.

Early in the second period, Johnnie Jackson's free-kick caused havoc in the Millwall box before the ball was bravely headed clear by captain Danny Shittu.

Moments later, Lions fans were appealing for a penalty when Leon Cort's attempted clearance appeared to strike his own hand but referee Dean Whitesone failed to spot the infringement.

In the 48th minute, Taylor cooly cut onto his right foot before firing a shot over Hamer's goal as Millwall began to take control.

Chris Wood tried a speculative shot from distance before Shittu blocked a dangerous-looking Hulse effort at the other end.

Dany N'Guessan almost made an instant impact following his introduction from the bench when he teed-up Shane Lowry, whose deep cross fell to Abdou but he smashed over.

With 70 minutes played, Millwall counter-attacked and almost broke the deadlock when Taylor darted away from Dorian Dervitte before playing in Keogh, but Hamer tipped his stinging shot over the bar.

N'Guessan then had a header cleared off the line from Wright's corner, who himself saw a vicious 25-yard shot charged down.

Adam Smith drilled inches wide from distance in the 82nd minute and when Cort's blatant handball in the area minutes later went unpunished, it became clear this would not be the Lions' day.

Millwall: Forde, A.Smith, Lowry, Abdou, Shittu, Beevers, C.Taylor, Wright, Keogh, Wood, Feeney (N'Guessan, 66mins). Subs not used: M.Taylor, J.Smith, Racon, Osborne, Malone, Batt.

Charlton: Hamer, Jackson, Stephens, Kerkar (Green, 73mins), Pritchard, Kermogant (Wright-Phillips, 80mins), Solly, Seabourne, Cort, Hulse, Dervite. Subs not used: M.Taylor, Haynes, Jonsson, Frimpong, Button.

Conor Sefton


4 thoughts on “Report: Millwall 0-0 Charlton

  • December 2, 2012 at 00:00

    Did anyone get a clear view of sollys lunge on Taylor in first half? Looked two footed studs up from where I was sitting but that was from the dockers stand opposite side of pitch. Taylor and few players were fuming!

    Like (0)
    Dislike (0)
  • December 2, 2012 at 00:53

    Why does Taylor look so weak on the ball? Is he carrying a knock?

    Like (0)
    Dislike (0)
    • December 2, 2012 at 11:12

      Because he is small and not a muscle on his body. His hunger and determination normally make up for that bit yesterday that was lacking slightly!!

      Like (0)
      Dislike (0)
  • Pingback: free dating sites

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *