Millwall boss relishing "big challenge" at Ewood Park

© Edmund Boyden

KENNY Jackett says Millwall will relish the chance to test themselves against one of the most expensively-assembled teams in the division on Saturday.

The Lions meet Blackburn Rovers in a league fixture for the first time in 20 years and can overtake the Lancashire club in the table with a win.

But Jackett says he is under "no allusions" as to the size of the task facing his squad – Rovers spent £11million on new players last summer after their relegation from the Premier League.

The trip to Ewood Park is the first of two massive away games for Millwall, who also travel to Wolves on Tuesday.

"They're great games, ones we look forward to and they can't quickly enough for us," Jackett said. "It's great to be in this league. We're very pleased to be in here and competing.

"As a manager going to Ewood Park and Molineux are games to look forward to, as they should be for the players. It's a very expensive division and we want do well.

"They will be big challenges and we're under no illusions. We have to be working hard for every point, because every point is hard-earned in this division."

11 thoughts on “Millwall boss relishing "big challenge" at Ewood Park

• November 23, 2012 at 11:41

I've just seen that Trotts is out injured. I think we'll miss him big time. I know he can be inconsistent but his presence has become very important to us. I personally don't fancy Wright , especially away as he is not physical enough, I'd play Smithy in midfield.

• November 23, 2012 at 12:12

Smith in midfield?! Glad you're not the gaffer!! Wright isn't great defensively but against a team like Blackburn we need to keep the ball and he is the best passer of the ball we have. Hopefully if trotter isn't available jimmy will come in and work he's nuts off as always cos we will need it. Think we will get a scrappy draw! Hope Rhodes does as well as he normally has done against us.

• November 23, 2012 at 14:18

Obviously Jimmy will be in, it's a question of who plays with him! Smith played in midfield in a few away games last year and done alright. Wright is the best passer of a two yard pass sideways or backwards. He has only had two assists and one goal (albeit a belter)in the whole time he's been with us. IMO our best chance of getting a result is to keep strong defensively, hit Woody and let Keogh and the wide men play off him. Wright and Abdou (great tho he is Jimmy can't pass water) would not be able to retain the ball, offer very little going forward and Wright offers nothing defensively and I think we'll be doing a lot of defending tomorrow

• November 23, 2012 at 16:28

Wright was poor against Leeds, his worse performance for us by far but was still a 6/10 so not awful, IMO anyway. He don't just pass it sideways or backwards at all, and when he does knock it sideways its always perfectly weighted and in front of the player. Only player we have that regularly plays the ball in front of our wingers rather than to feet or behind them. Smith cm would be a massive backward step for us. Don't need to make any drastic changes to a team unbeaten in 10 unless forced to.

• November 23, 2012 at 15:32

Smiths pass selection can be poor, Wright played in most of our big away wins towards the end of last season when Trotts was injured, its not all about stats. its results that matter. Jimmy needs to push Wright up a bit if he's staying too deep........ any news on the invisible Mr Racon ????

• November 23, 2012 at 16:11

Only my opinion - if Wright plays I hope he proves me wrong, I just don't rate him at all. Half of my mates agree with me and half of em think he's good. I thought he was poor again against leeds. Racon played 90 minutes for the reserves the other day and has been on the bench for a few games, maybe he'll get a run out at some stage.

• November 23, 2012 at 16:46

i think he should give racon a chance in the centre with abdou...i do like josh wright as a player but i don't think he and abdou will give enough attacking threat whereas charlton fans tell me racon is good going forwards and its about time kenny gave him a chance to prove himself!

• November 23, 2012 at 20:04

I hate to say this chaps and Ladies, but I think we are going to get stuffed tomorrow. Hopefully you all prove me wrong! Its been a good run and may it start again againts Charlton.

• November 24, 2012 at 17:48

Whoops 🙂

• November 24, 2012 at 18:45

Glad you were wrong Bertie big...

• November 25, 2012 at 09:29