THE 13-year-old boy banned by Millwall for verbally abusing Marvin Sordell did not admit to using racist language, it emerged on Monday night.
Peter Garston, the club's fan-appointed director, has confirmed that there was no evidence to substantiate Sordell's claim that he had been racially abused.
A joint investigation by the Lions, Bolton and the Football Association into Sordell's allegations was concluded last week and resulted in the young fan being banned "for the foreseeable future".
A statement added that the boy would be invited to attend one of the club's educational courses in order to "change his outlook on equality, racism and life in general" – implying he had admitted using racist jibes.
But Garston said: "There were no witnesses to substantiate the claims of racial abuse. The club checked the CCTV and saw an incident between Sordell and a 13-year-old-boy. There was no audio evidence.
"The boy was interviewed (with a parent) by the club, at which time he admitted to verbally abusing Sordell. The boy also said that Sordell reacted with abuse back.
"The boy wrote to Sordell and apologised for the abuse. I would hope, being a professional footballer, Sordell would be man enough if he did react to give some sort of apology.
"I would like to see a statement of sorts clarifying the fact there was no admittance or evidence of racial abuse."