Report: Millwall 4-0 Huddersfield Town

MILLWALL put four goals past hapless Huddersfield Town at The Den to right the wrongs of their midweek draw with Birmingham City.

Boss Kenny Jackett warned his side against a repeat of the performance that saw them blow a three-goal lead against the Blues, and he certainly got what he was looking for.

Chris Wood – who scored twice in midweek – hit goals either side of the break before James Henry's first goal in SE16 in over 18 months made it 3-0.

Huddersfield were reduced to ten men with five minutes remaining as Jack Hunt was dismissed for foul and abusive language, and the Lions quickly added a fourth through Liam Trotter two minutes from time.

That goal rounded off an excellent afternoon for Jackett's men, with the fact the result provided their first clean sheet of the Championship season providing a massive bonus.

The Lions made two changes to the side that faced Birmingham on Tuesday, with Henry replacing Liam Feeney on the right side of midfield and Shane Lowry starting at left-back in place of the injured Jack Smith.

Huddersfield, meanwhile, included one-time Millwall transfer targets Joel Lynch and Danny Ward in their XI while Anton Robinson – a product of the Lions' youth system – was among the substitutes.

Both sides had opportunities inside the opening few minutes, with the Terriers going close with little over 60 seconds on the clock when Ward's low cross found the onrushing Lee Novak, but the striker could only hook the ball over David Forde's crossbar.

Then, soon afterwards, Millwall carved out a chance of their own following some good work down the left that led to the ball being nodded down for Trotter on the edge of the box, but he half-volleyed into the upper tier.

The returning Henry then nearly gave his side the lead in bizarre fashion on the quarter-hour with a swirling cross that forced Town goalkeeper Alex Smithies to turn the ball wide.

Then, soon afterwards, the impressive Wood took aim from the best part of 30 yards but his powerful shot swerved wide of Smithies' left-hand post.

But, despite that early flurry of half-chances, defences were generally on top for much of the opening half-hour as the two teams – both of whom conceded three times in midweek – sought to ensure they did not fall behind early on.

However, Millwall did go on to make the breakthrough on 28 minutes as Darius Henderson excellently turned his man on the left of the Huddersfield box before delivering a low cross for Wood to poke home from close range.

The Terriers could have levelled almost immediately when a cross from the right was diverted into the path of Keith Southern by Jermaine Beckford, but the onrushing midfielder miscued his half-volley and put it well over.

Chris Taylor then sent a long-range effort well off target as the half-time interval approached, although there was still time for another big opportunity for the visitors.

Adam Hammill's delivery from the right was excellently brought down by Beckford but the former Leeds striker somehow put his shot wide of the near post.

Keen to avoid another second-half surrender, Lions boss Jackett brought his players out from their half-time break early so they could undergo a series of fitness drills with coach Tim Breacker before the second period got underway.

Nevertheless, it was Huddersfield who started the second half the brighter with Beckford almost teeing up strike partner Novak, only for Jimmy Abdou to produce a last-gasp saving tackle and keep the ball away from goal.

Town almost grabbed a comical leveller with 59 minutes gone as Ward's low cross from the left span off Lions defender Mark Beevers and headed for goal, but the ball snuck just wide of Forde's right-hand post.

That scare provided the incentive needed for Millwall to go in search of their second, and it duly arrived on the hour mark as Henry led a surging counter-attack before playing in Wood to finish smartly for his second of the afternoon.

Visiting boss Simon Grayson brought on Paul Dixon and Sean Scannell as he looked to replicate the comeback conducted by his Huddersfield predecessor – now Birmingham boss – Lee Clark in midweek.

Instead it was Millwall who were close to scoring the game's third goal as Henry's outswinging corner found Lowry, but the Australian's first-time volley flew off target.

And the Lions' third finally arrived eleven minutes from time – though there was a degree of controversy about the goal.

With Lynch down on the edge of the Huddersfield box injured, Wood took up possession and squared the ball for Henry – and the wide-man did not waste his opportunity to rifle in from just inside the area.

Millwall could have made it four soon afterwards as Henderson rounded Smithies but was forced wide, so could only shoot across the face of goal from a tight angle and wide of the far post.

Referee Scott then saw fit to reduce Huddersfield to ten men by dismissing defender Hunt for an off-the-ball incident.

And the Lions quickly took advantage of their numerical superiority as Trotter picked up the ball on the edge of the box and curled beyond Smithies with two minutes remaining to seal the win.

Millwall: Forde; Dunne, Shittu (c), Beevers, Lowry; Henry (Wright 88), Abdou, Trotter, C. Taylor; Wood, Henderson. Not used: M. Taylor (GK), Racon, Feeney, Keogh, N'Guessan, Malone.

Huddersfield: Smithies; Hunt, Gerrard (Dixon 63), Clarke (c), Lynch; Hammill, Clayton, Southern, Ward (Scannell 69); Beckford, Novak (Norwood 82). Not used: Bennett (GK), Woods, Lee, Robinson.



6 thoughts on “Report: Millwall 4-0 Huddersfield Town

  • October 27, 2012 at 20:36

    Henderson was amazing today throughout and unlucky not to get a goal. Henry was superb in the second half after a poor 1st. Shittu looked lethargic to begin with but got better and better. MOTM, for me, goes to Hendo for his work rate alone.

    Like (0)
    Dislike (0)
  • October 27, 2012 at 20:41

    Agree totally but Taylor for me was excellent too and Lowry had a strong game at leftback also. Brilliant performance by the Lions today. COYL

    Like (0)
    Dislike (0)
  • October 27, 2012 at 20:44

    Yeah forgot about Taylor. He defended well and made some useful clearances and always wanted the ball, our 2nd best player in the first half IMO. Dunney and Lowry were solid, I guess the whole team were actually. Well, Trotter before the 80th minute was having a Western-Super to be fair. When Forde skinned Beckford.. my heart was in my mouth!

    Like (0)
    Dislike (0)
  • October 27, 2012 at 22:59

    Great team performance today even dunne played well !? Hopefully we will sign wood and beevers permanently even if does it cost us a fair amount. If we can keep that team together for the season we could have a chance for the play-offs? COYL

    Like (0)
    Dislike (0)
  • Pingback: My Homepage

  • Pingback: free dating sites

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *