Millwall dismiss Keane reports

MILLWALL have rubbished reports that Roy Keane is poised to replace Kenny Jackett as Lions boss.

The Daily Star claimed on Sunday that chairman John Berylson was to appoint a new manager following Saturday's derby defeat to West Ham, but NewsAtDen has been told the story is without any foundation.

Keane recently told The Sun: "If go back into football management, my next job will be vital for me after the disappointment with Ipswich.

"I've enjoyed my break, I've done a bit of travelling. Since I was nine or 10 I've been intense with my football, chasing something but at the moment I'm not chasing anything.

"That's good because sometimes you have to be content with just relaxing. I'm not sitting by the phone, waiting for a call, but come a Saturday I'm still not myself when I'm not working."

4 thoughts on “Millwall dismiss Keane reports

• February 5, 2012 at 18:16

I wouldn't want him anywhere near Millwall. People mistakenly think that because he is the big tough talking hard man he is automatically a good manager and leader of mean...he's track record seems to indicate otherwise.

Why do 'newspapers' like the Star make stories up?

• February 6, 2012 at 10:00

I would agree with Fingers, in Keane's case the saying empty vessels make the most noise springs to mind. If we make a change I would have liked to have seen Billy Davis, Dave Jones or Sean O'Driscoll coming in, they all have experience a a reasonably good track record at this level

• February 6, 2012 at 12:29

The point is,though, that we need someone NOW to replace Jackett or we are down. I suspect, though, that Berylson, despite being a successful hardnosed businessman, doesn't have the ruthlessness, or the understanding of football, the grasp the nettle. Jackett undone: out of ideas, disharmony in the dressing room, bad signings, spirit and togetherness, the things that gave us our edge, totally absent.

Berylson should consider this: if somehow we manage to finish 4th and stay in this division, then what? You continue with Jackett when his tactical limitations, abilities to find talent and get awkward personalities to perform, have been brutally exposed this season. And if we go down? I suspect that berylson might stillcontinue with Jackett, such is his footballing naivete. Footballis a rough old game and players are dispensed with in faitly unemotional manner (witness Bomber's departure). We cannot afford the loss of revenue of a drop into Division One: the TV money, the position, the lower gates etc. Look at the balance sheet and judge Jackett on that, Berylson.

Blimey, that was a bit long. But then after 50 years of watching this club, you get a little involved.

• February 6, 2012 at 16:27

Keane is absolutely no leader of men. In fact, he's so arrogant that even once he lost the dressing room at Sunderland and Ipswich, still refused to wind his neck in and try a different approach.

Then again, we never wanted Wise at the club and he was in charge during one of our most successful seasons ever. Same difference?

I like Kenny, he's done a good job and I still believe he knows how to turn things around. I just hope it gets started before it's too late. If no change by end of March JB may be left with little choice.