Report: Burnley 2-2 Millwall

DARIUS Henderson grabbed a stoppage-time equaliser to earn Millwall a point at Burnley and halt the Lions' three-match losing run.

Charlie Austin's header on the stroke of half-time looked to have been enough to secure victory for the Clarets, but Henderson drilled in from close range to equalise.

And the striker hit the bar with the last chance of the game as Kenny Jackett's side went close to grabbing a dramatic and unlikely winner.

Manager Jackett made two changes to the side that were beaten 2-1 by Brighton last week, handing a start to fit-again captain Paul Robinson and drafting in Danny Shittu to replace the injured Karleigh Osborne.

Shane Lowry was moved to left-back, meaning Scott Malone lined-up on the left side of midfield in a 4-4-2 formation, with Josh Wright dropping to the bench.

The game was just three minutes old when Millwall took the lead. Andy Keogh held the ball up on the edge of the penalty area before squaring to Trotter, who swept the ball into the top corner from 12 yards, via a slight deflection.

Martin Paterson should have grabbed an instant equaliser for the home side when he rounded goalkeeper David Forde after latching onto a long ball, but Shittu was perfectly-placed to clear his shot off the line.

The Clarets then went close to levelling twice in quick succession; first, Chris McCann's powerful drive from the edge of the area was tipped over by Forde, before Junior Stanislas struck the woodwork from Paterson's cross in the 16th minute.

But defender Ben Mee headed in Stanislas' corner past a stranded Forde to make it 1-1.

Burnley had a strong penalty appeal turned down when Shittu appeared to block Paterson's shot with his hand and then Dean Marney fired over from 18 yards as the Lions were forced to defend deeper and deeper.

Millwall continued to carve out chances on the counter attack, though, and keeper Lee Grant made superb diving saves to keep out long-range shots from both Malone and James Henry.

Austin, the division's top scorer, gave the Clarets the lead for the first time in the match when his powerful header from Kieran Trippier's deep cross sailed over Forde in the 43rd minute.

With Robinson struggling again with injury, Jackett was forced to bring on Jack Smith at half-time and shift Lowry back into the centre of defence.

Burnley were straight on the front foot after the restart and Austin went close to adding a third goal when he got on the end of another Trippier cross, but he could not keep his header down.

But the Lions settled and a half-chance fell to Chris Wood in the 50th minute before Lowry went close to turning in Malone's dangerous free-kick.

There was huge controversy in the 64th minute when Stanislas saw his thumping drive ruled out for offside after referee Craig Pawson overruled his linesman's initial decision to give the goal.

The official adjudged that Paterson had been offside in the build-up and was convinced by vociferous complaints from Millwall's players that the striker had been interfering with play, and so the score remained 2-1.

A well-worked free-kick involving Wood and Henry presented Keogh with a shooting opportunity from six yards out, but the Ireland international fired wide – though his blushes were spared by another late offside flag.

There was a ten-man scuffle involving players from both teams after Lowry was booked for a strong challenge on Ross Wallace, who had been given a yellow card for a lunge on Smith minutes earlier.

Shittu then tried his luck from 25 yards on a rare foray forward and Grant had to be alert to tip his shot over the bar for a corner in the 84th minute.

There was late drama at both ends as David Edgar's shot was hacked off the line by Smith, before Wood rattled the bar with a header from close range.

But with the Lions fearing their moment to equalise had passed, Henderson chested down Trotter's pass and finished from four yards.

And in the final seconds, Henderson's header deflected off Mee, onto the bar and then onto the goalline, before being scrambled away to safety to the disbelief of the 11,192-crowd inside Turf Moor.

Burnley: Grant, Trippier, Duff, Edgar, McCann (Bartley, 70mins), Wallace, Marney, Paterson (Vokes, 75mins), Stanislas, Austin, Mee. Subs: Jensen, Mills, Stewart, Stock.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne,  Lowry, Abdou, Robinson (Smith, 46mins), Shittu, Malone (Batt, 66mins) Trotter, Keogh (Henderson, 75mins), Wood, Henry. Subs not used: Taylor, Mkandawire, Wright, Racon.



2 thoughts on “Report: Burnley 2-2 Millwall

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *