Report: Birmingham 0-1 Millwall

Jake Sanders

FRED Onyedinma came off the bench to score the only goal of the game as Millwall made in three consecutive league wins on the road with a narrow victory over Birmingham at St Andrews.

Second-half substitute Onyedinma fired home at the second time of asking on 77 minutes after Blues goalkeeper David Stockdale had saved his initial effort.

Birmingham almost stole a point in injury-time, but Jordan Archer kept out Craig Gardner’s curling free-kick.

It was another superb win away from home, and stretched the Lions’ unbeaten run in the Championship to six games.

And it was a fully deserved win, Millwall restricting the hosts to just one shot on target.

The three points means Millwall have gained more points this season than in the entire of the 2014-15 campaign, when they were relegated from the Championship.

Millwall are 14th in the division, just two points off Leeds in 11th place.

Neil Harris made one change from the side that drew with Cardiff at The Den last Friday as Shaun Williams replaced Ryan Tunnicliffe in the centre of midfield. Mahlon Romeo kept his place despite his early mistake against the Bluebirds and Lions legend Tim Cahill was once again named amongst the substitutes.

The hosts started well and were inches away from taking the lead inside two minutes when Jeremie Boga’s 25-yard free-kick landed just wide of the left-hand corner after Jacques Maghoma had been fouled by James Meredith.

It took Millwall 13 minutes to get going and they nearly went in front with their first attack of the game as George Saville intercepted a pass on the halfway line and slid in Lee Gregory. He waited for his team-mates to join the attack before he found Jed Wallace, who had his goal-bound strike saved by David Stockdale.

Moments later the Lions came even closer when Saville saw his cross-shot cleared off the line by Carl Jenkinson after the Blues could only half-clear a Millwall corner.

The chances kept coming for Millwall and Saville was continuing to be at the heart of everything good for Neil Harris’ side. The midfielder broke forward to win a free-kick 35-yards out that was swung in by Ben Marshall, but only half-cleared as far as Saville, whose first-time volley was a whisker away from finding the top corner.

Birmingham then could have gone into the break in front, but Gardner’s deflected low strike landed the wrong side of Archer’s post and the away side survived.

The Lions started the second half with more positive intent and could have taken the lead in the 64th minute, but Steve Morison could only find the side-netting after the ball had fallen his way.

Harris introduced some fresh legs for the Lions with 25 minutes to go in the shape of Onyedinma, who replaced Ben Marshall. And it was the substitute that broke the deadlock less than 15 minutes later.

Shaun Hutchinson sent a hopeful ball forward and Onyedinma managed to get his body in front of the defender before cutting in from the right and finding the bottom corner at the second attempt for his first league goal this season.

Tim Cahill was introduced with five minutes to go for Morison and just like last Friday was greeted with a massive cheer from the travelling fans.

Millwall could have extended their lead on 88 minutes, but Stockdale kept out Jake Cooper’s powerful back-post header and then Hutchinson nodded just wide after Cahill had headed back into danger from a corner.

Gardner nearly made the visitors pay for not adding to their lead in stoppage-time, but Archer was equal to his 25-yard free-kick and Millwall held on for the points to complete a first-ever league double over Birmingham.

Image: Millwall FC