Report: Norwich City 2-1 Millwall

By Jake Sanders

MILLWALL started 2018 in the worst possible way as Norwich came from a goal down to defeat them at Carrow Road.

Steve Morison opening the scoring against his former side just before half-time with a stunning strike from distance, but second-half goals from Tom Trybull and James Maddison turned things around for the Canaries and gave them just their fourth home win of the season.

The Lions huffed and puffed, but were unable to find a leveller and left East Anglia pointless.

Millwall stay in 15th place in the Championship table, but Burton's win at Sheffield Wednesday means the Lions are just six points above the relegation places.

Neil Harris once again shuffled his pack from Millwall's 1-0 win over Queens Park Rangers on Friday night as Shaun Williams and Fred Onyedinma came into the side with Jed Wallace and Aiden O'Brien dropping to the bench.

Despite Millwall's bright start, it was the home side that had the first chance of the game. Josh Murphy sent over a delightful cross for Nelson Oliveira, but he couldn't direct his header on target.

Alex Pritchard went even closer four minutes later, but Jordan Archer was equal his dipping effort from 25 yards and tipped it over.

The Lions were struggling to contain City's front four, and Murphy in particular. He was next to be denied by Archer as he also saw his long-range drive touched over.

It took Millwall 21 minutes to register their first attempt on the Norwich goal when Ryan Tunnicliffe found James Meredith in space on the left, but Angus Gunn made a fine save to stop the full-back's powerful effort creeping in at the near post.

Harris' side were growing in confidence and were starting to create some good chances. A loose ball fell to Tunnicliffe in the box, but he couldn't keep his volley down. Pritchard fired just wide at the other end from just outside the box.

The Lions ended the half the stronger of the two sides and Harris would have been more than satisfied going into the break all square, but things got even better approaching added-time. Morison, clearly not short on confidence after his winner against QPR three days ago, audaciously lobbed Gunn from fully 30 yards to give Millwall a half-time lead. It was the 34-year-old's second goal in as many games after he had gone the previous 23 without hitting the back of the net this season.

Despite their strong end to the opening period, Millwall made the worst possible start to the second as Norwich levelled within seven minutes. Maddison sent over a teasing free-kick and Trybull climbed highest to send a looping header into the far corner.

Norwich nearly completed the turn-around just past the hour mark, but Murphy couldn't connect with Pritchard's teasing cross from eight yards as he missed the ball.

Harris bought on Wallace and O'Brien for Onyedinma and Lee Gregory to give Millwall some much-needed fresh legs and changed to a 4-5-1 formation with Wallace and O'Brien either side of George Saville, Tunnicliffe and Williams in a five-man midfield.

However, Daniel Farke's side almost went in front when Murphy nearly made up for his earlier missed chance, but his curling effort clipped the bar from 25 yards out, with Archer a spectator. The majority of Carrow Road thought it was in.

Norwich did not have to wait long, though, two minutes in fact as Maddison curled home into the far corner after a fine reverse pass from the impressive Pritchard to give them the lead.

O'Brien had a shot blocked late in game, but Millwall were unable to carve out any real openings, and their long wait for an away win goes on.

Image: Millwall FC