Report: Millwall 0-0 Hull

MILLWALL got another Championship point but will feel it could have been more against Hull on Tuesday night as Allan Mcgregor twice brilliantly denied the hosts in the second half.

Lee Gregory went close before the break when he shot wide from Tom Elliott’s flick before McGregor tipped Gregory's snapshot over the bar later in the half.

Hull looked sluggish early on but eventually got on top, the strong running of Jackson Irvine and Jarrod Bowen proving troublesome for the home side, while left-back Ola Aina frequently provided width in attack to stretch the game.

Hull had nine shots on goal before the break, with Jordan Archer tipping over Markus Henriksen’s long-range strike before the goalkeeper pushed away Kevin Stewart’s effort.

In the 46th minute Hull striker Frazier Campbell made a mess of the opportunity presented to him by Shaun Hutchinson as he failed to set up strike partner Nouha Dicko in front of goal.

Millwall were struggling in attack and that prompted Lions boss Neil Harris to send on Steve Morison and Fred Onyedinma for Elliott and Aiden O’Brien.

Morison made an immediate impact on the game and after he had almost found Ryan Tunnicliffe with a nod-down McGregor tipped Hutchinson’s header from Shane Ferguson’s corner over the bar before Onyedinma shot too high.

With 10 minutes left George Saville teed up Ferguson whose low shot was well saved by McGregor, who also managed to hold on to the ball with Morison waiting to take advantage of any mistake.

Kris Twardek came on for his league debut but Millwall were almost caught out as they committed players forward, Kamil Grosicki sending the ball wide of the far post after finding space in the box.

Both sides had late chances to get the three points, but in space in front of McGregor, Gregory couldn’t find the target, before substitute Evandro Goebel blasted wide of Archer’s post.

It was the same Millwall XI that had started at Sunderland, Morison left on the bench for the second successive league game for the first time in his current Millwall spell.

Millwall started confidently and could have taken the lead in the fifth minute but after collecting Elliott’s flicked header and beating Michael Dawson, Gregory hit a low shot wide.

Hull had looked lethargic in the warm-up and they carried that into the game, allowing Elliott to win most aerial duels early on. Dawson seemed to sense he needed to send a message to his team-mates as he challenged Elliott strongly to leave the striker holding his head.

The early avenues of attack for Hull were central ones and Bowen shot well wide after running at the middle of Millwall’s defence before Stewart dragged another effort off-target.

They went closer minutes later when Aina ushered Irvine through the middle. He helped the ball on to Bowen who tried to pick his spot in the far corner but fired over.

A half an hour in Hull worked Irvine into a shooting position but he couldn’t test Archer. The visitors, though, had played their way into the game with some fluid movement and quick transfer of possession.

They finally found their range as Henriksen shot from 30 yards and Archer had to tip the ball over the bar.

Millwall had faded after their bright start and James Meredith decided to give them impetus when he burst forward to find Gregory, who turned and snapped in a left-footed shot that McGregor tipped over. From the corner O’Brien’s drive hit a defender and Hull could clear.

Three minutes before the break it was the same combination as earlier, Irvine running diagonally off his left wing to locate Bowen, but again the latter made poor contact with the ball and let Millwall off the hook.

Stewart then stretched Archer with a shot from outside the box that the goalkeeper palmed away, before Archer was swiftly off his line to get to the ball before Dicko after it briefly looked like the striker would reach Irvine’s pass over the top of the hosts’ defence.

Hull should have been in front a minute after the break but Campbell failed to locate Dicko after Hutchinson’s weak header had left the front pair bearing down on Archer’s goal.

Harris summoned Morison from the bench to replace Elliott and almost immediately Millwall created their first proper chance of the second half. Gregory did well to find Ryan Tunnicliffe who spotted Saville’s run into the box, but from an angle the midfielder flashed a shot wide at the near post.

Morison was making a difference and when he aimed a cross towards Gregory, Dawson had to stretch to cut out the danger.

Hutchinson was then close to opening the scoring as Millwall pressed their opponents back.

With 15 minutes left there was a period of mayhem in Millwall’s box as a number of the home players bravely threw themselves in front of shots before the referee eventually whistled for a free-kick to relieve the pressure.

Millwall were the stronger side as the game entered the final 10 minutes, but couldn’t find a way past an inspired McGregor in Hull’s goal.

In injury-time Tunnicliffe wriggled through to shoot but McGregor was in the right place, before Gregory had a glorious chance to win the game only to blaze over from eight yards.

Archer was then relieved to see Goebel fail to hit the target with the game’s last chance.

Image: Millwall FC

John Kelly