Harris: Webster's first Millwall goal since the opening day came at a crucial time

NEIL Harris felt Byron Webster’s first goal since the opening day of the season came at the perfect time as Millwall defeated Shrewsbury Town to move to within three points of third place in League One.

Webster’s only other goal this season had come in the 3-0 win over Oldham in August, and he provided the first piece of real quality at The Greenhous Stadium when he shot first-time past goalkeeper Jayson Leutwiler from Steve Morison’s clever set-up.

Millwall survived an early second-half onslaught from Paul Hurst’s side before Shaun Hutchinson got his first goal for the club in the 77th minute.

Shrewsbury, battling to avoid relegation, fought back again and Shaun Whalley pulled a goal back in the 90th minute.

With Lee Gregory still out, Harris was pleased with Webster and Hutchinson’s strikes and said the pair were “outstanding” as Millwall moved level on points with Southend in sixth.

"It was a composed finish from a boy with very good technical ability for his size,” Harris said of Webster. “He was set up well by Steve Morison.

“He should score more goals, he knows that. Sometimes for whatever reason you don’t find that ball and the ball doesn’t find you in the penalty area.

"The game was ebbing and flowing, it was on a real knife-edge. We got ourselves into some good positions in and around the box without really being creative or clinical, so sometimes you’ve got to find other ways to score.

“Two goals from set-pieces is really pleasing.

"Both my centre-halves were outstanding. Yes, we'd love Steve Morison, Lee Gregory and Aiden O'Brien to add to the 105 goals they’ve scored between them in two seasons, but sometimes goals need to come from other areas of the pitch – especially at this stage of the season.

"To have centre-halves popping up with goals is really key. Our application, desire and spirit was top drawer tonight.

“We knew Shrewsbury would have a right go. Paul has really got them at it so we knew we’d have to stand strong. We had to come away from The Den and give a performance we’d expect to give at our place.”

The win was Millwall’s second in a row after two defeats in a four-game winless league run.

The Lions face Gillingham next, another side with the threat of relegation hanging over them.

Harris said: "We had a little blip, but we're now out of it and we go into a local derby with Gillingham on Saturday in high spirits and good form.

“We'll play on the front foot and we want to make sure we add to our points tally so we're in the top six come April 30."

Image: Millwall FC 

John Kelly


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *