Millwall will hold Forde talks in the summer

DAVID Forde will not be coming back to Millwall in January.

Forde, who turns 37 on Dec 20, is on a season-long loan at League Two Portsmouth where he has kept eight clean sheets in 21 games.

The Republic of Ireland international lost his place to Jordan Archer last season, and Neil Harris has given Tom King his full Lions debut in this campaign.

Millwall have an option to recall Forde when the transfer window opens next month, but Harris will wait until the end of the season to hold formal talks with his former team-mate.

“I spoke to Fordey a couple of weeks ago and he’s having a good time there, he’s really enjoying it,” Harris said. “He’s playing week-in, week-out.

“Fordey’s got a lot of interests, he loves studying and reading. For me Fordey has got all the attributes to be a really good goalkeeping coach. He’s a real thinker and his work ethic is unbelievable.

“The reason he went to Portsmouth was because he wanted to play every week. He’s not ready to be of that mindset where he’s not playing. He did it last year because he knew he had a little bit of a loss of form and that Jordan was coming strong, and they were difficult decisions.

“This year I told him I was going to go with Jordan and Fordey said he wanted to go and play. He’s doing that at Portsmouth and he’s not going to come back here and be guaranteed to play 20 games after Christmas.

“He won’t want to come back, he’ll want to stay where he is because that’s the man he is, that’s his mindset. He’s on a season-long loan and an option to come back in January but he’ll want to stay.

“Come the end of the season it’ll be another conversation about is he going to play, is he not and where does his future lie.

“But that’s a long way off at the moment.”

Image source: ©Millwall FC

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)