Report: Millwall 3-1 Middlesbrough

ANDY Keogh scored a brace to inspire Millwall to a 3-1 victory over Middlesbrough and their first home win of the season.

Keogh netted a goal in each half after Liam Trotter's dipping volley had given the Lions a 25th-minute lead against Tony Mowbray's play-off chasers.

Marvin Emnes converted a penalty on the stroke of half-time with the score at 2-0, but the visitors were on the backfoot for much of the second half – despite having long spells of possession – and Keogh added a third late on.

Millwall could have opened the scoring in just the tenth minute when James Henry's corner was knocked down by Karleigh Osborne into the path of Keogh, who swivelled and fired straight at keeper Luke Steele.

Keogh went even closer to putting the Lions ahead moments later when his header was blocked by Steele's one-handed save and the rebound came back off the post.

But the deadlock was finally broken when Trotter was given time and space to strike a bouncing ball on the half-volley over Steele and into the top corner from 20 yards.

And it was 2-0 ten minutes later when Keogh rifled in the rebound after Henry's shot had smacked the inside of the post.

Boro were handed a route back into the match on the stroke of half-time when Jimmy Abdou's reckless lunge sent former Den loanee George Friend flying in the area, leaving referee Fred Graham with little choice other than to point to the spot.

Powerful frontman Marvin Emnes, who until then had been restricted to tame long shots, sent Maik Taylor the wrong way to set up a tense second period.

Manager Kenny Jackett replaced Darius Henderson with Shaun Batt at the interval as the Lions pushed for a killer third goal – and they nearly got it in the 52nd minute.

Henry's low free-kick caused chaos in the Boro box but neither Keogh or Osborne could stab the loose ball home after a goalmouth scramble.

At the other end, Grant Leadbitter's drive from the edge of the area flew narrowly before Friend's driving run was ended by Henry's superb block as Boro pushed for an equaliser.

But Millwall continued to pose problems on the counter attack and should have put the game to bed when Keogh cut the ball back to the onrushing Scott Malone, but the left-back did not strike his shot cleanly.

Malone made amends, though, when his run and cross led to Keogh's match-clinching strike – a deft flick at the near post which bounced in off the far post to cap an impressive team performance.

Millwall: M.Taylor, Dunne, Malone, Abdou, Lowry, Osborne, Trotter, Wright, Henderson (Batt, 46mins), Keogh, Henry (Feeney, 82mins). Subs not used: Forde, Shittu, Racon, Marquis, C.Taylor.

Middlesbrough: Steele, Emnes, Woodgates, Zemmama (Ledesma, 54mins), Hines, Leadbitter, Miller (Williams, 73mins), Haroun (Smallwood, 62mins), McEachran, Friend, Hoyte. Subs not used: Riply, McManus, Reach, Arca.



2 thoughts on “Report: Millwall 3-1 Middlesbrough

  • September 1, 2012 at 18:07

    The team played excellently today. Good passing game even from the back!?
    Henry ran his socks off and Wright, Keogh and Trotter had very good games. If this is the passing and possession style of Football Kenny wants from his team, long may it continue COYL

    Like (0)
    Dislike (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *