Report: Millwall 1-1 Brentford

NAD Report Scores Brentford

MILLWALL drew 1-1 with Championship side Brentford in Tony Craig’s testimonial at The Den on Saturday afternoon.  

Brentford took an early lead through Yoann Barbet, before Steve Morison eqaulised after Millwall had created a number of chances.

It was Millwall who looked the more likely to get the winner in the second half but they couldn’t find a way past Brentford goalkeeper Daniel Bentley.

Both teams gave Craig a guard of honour before Millwall wasted no time attacking their opponents. Morison had an early chance after Lee Gregory had squared the ball but scuffed a shot at Bentley.

Moments later Bees striker Scott Hogan darted behind Shaun Huthcinson to get clear on goal but he couldn’t trouble Jordan Archer.

Brentford took the lead in the sixth minute, Barbet lifting a free-kick up and over the wall into Archer’s bottom corner after Shaun Williams had been wrongly penalised when he appeared to win the ball cleanly from Sam Saunders 25 yards out.

Shortly afterwards Archer was left totally exposed and only a brilliant double-stop to deny Saunders and then Hogan prevented Brentford from doubling their lead.

Lions boss Neil Harris was forced into a change on 18 minutes after Hutchinson went down off the ball before limping off the pitch. Aiden O’Brien was introduced with Shane Ferguson dropping to left-back and Craig moving into the centre of defence to partner Byron Webster.

Less than a minute later David Worrall had a glorious chance to equalise on his first appearance for Millwall at The Den but, clean through on goal with Gregory in support to his right, the winger mis-kicked his shot well wide.

Millwall were creating most of the clear-cut chances now, and after Worrall had teed up Williams in the box the midfielder shot straight at Bentley.

The home side persisted and found an equaliser in the 28th minute when Williams delicately lifted the ball to Morison six yards out and the striker powered his header past Bentley.

Millwall shaded the first half, with Morison the stand-out player, and after he won possession in midfield just before the break he laid the ball off to Williams who found Mahlon Romeo striding forward. The full-back spotted Gregory making a run at the back post but Bentley was quick off his line to prevent the ball reaching the striker.

In the 52nd minute O’Brien headed Worrall’s corner at Bentley who saved, before Craig had to be alert to nick the ball off Hogan’s toe as he was about to shoot.

Millwall had an excellent chance to go in front after an hour when Gregory slid in O’Brien in the box, but Harlee Dean scooped the ball over his own bar with Morison lurking behind him.

In the 64th minute Brentford almost gifted Millwall a goal when Dean’s back-pass to Bentley was short, but the goalkeeper just got there before Morison to clear.

The Lions were still creating all the best chances and after Brentford had scrambled away Worrall’s cross, Webster forced Bentley into a full-stretch save from the corner.

Brentford almost stole the win a minute from time when substitute Emmanuel Ledesma shot from 22 yards but the ball went just wide of Archer’s far post.

Image source ©Millwall FC

NewsAtDen's live action is brought to you by:

Arc Restoration

John Kelly