Report: Crawley Town 2-3 Millwall

MILLWALL made it three successive pre-season wins with a 3-2 defeat of Crawley at Broadfield Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Lee Gregory nodded Millwall in front before Enzio Boldewijn quickly equalised.

Crawley enjoyed most of the possession in the first half as Millwall struggled to create much in front of goal, and Dermot Drummy’s side went 2-1 up when winger Jordan Roberts finished from close range.

Millwall were more urgent after the break and Shaun Williams levelled when he headed home Shane Ferguson’s free-kick.

Steve Morison put Millwall back in front four minutes from time when he nodded Ferguson’s cross past substitute goalkeeper Mitchell Beeney.

Neil Harris named a stronger side than he had in the first two pre-season friendlies. Gregory and Morison started up front with Shaun Hutchinson partnering Byron Webster in the centre of defence and Jimmy Abdou in midfield.

Gregory put Millwall ahead in the 17th minute when he headed Morison’s cross from the right past Yusuf Mersin into the far corner.

Crawley were level a few minutes later when Boldewijn was given too much time in the box to shift the ball to his left foot and fire past Jordan Archer.

The home side went in front in the 34th minute when James Collins muscled past Webster in the box before cutting inside and squaring for Roberts who tapped the ball into an empty net.

Aiden O’Brien almost brought Millwall level a few minutes later but his volley from Gregory’s header zipped just wide of Mersin’s post.

Harris made one change at half-time with David Forde coming on to replace Archer.

At the other end Gregory had the chance to pull Millwall level but on-loan Chelsea keeper Beeney stuck out a leg to divert the ball away.

Harris brought on Ferguson for Gregg Wylde for the Northern Ireland international’s first appearance in pre-season as the Lions looked for an attacking spark.

Ferguson made an immediate impact, and it was from his free-kick from wide on the left that Williams rose to plant a header over Beeney.

Harris introduced Fred Onyedinma, Ben Thompson and David Worrall with 20 minutes left.

Worrall tested Beeney with a drive from 25 yards but the goalkeeper gathered comfortably.

But Morison ensured a third win in a row and a third headed goal of the game when he beat Beeney from Ferguson’s delivery.

Ferguson could have made it four before the final whistle but his half-volley came back off the post.

NewsAtDen's live action is brought to you by:

Arc Restoration

John Kelly