Millwall manager hints at busy month of transfer dealings

IAN Holloway hopes to be busy in the January window after admitting he "can't wait until the summer" to strengthen Millwall's squad.

Holloway hinted that Lions fans should expect a flurry of transfer activity at the start of 2015 following the 1-0 defeat to Bolton on Friday night.

Chairman John Berylson recently confirmed that his manager would have money to spend, while chief scout Mick Harford has been looking for new players in France.

And Holloway said: "What I want for Christmas is some pace – I think we're really badly lacking some pace down the sides when Lee Martin isn't fit.

"The players are trying and trying but we need some help, and I will get them some help in January. We need some pace.

"I need some more choices and I will try to sort that out next month. I can't wait until the summer, we've got to do this now.

"It was looking like a nip and tuck in January but it might be major surgery.

"I couldn't get my last set of targets before the loan window shut, so I have got to get some new ones. We might have to buy some of them and that will be fun, won't it?

"I'm looking forward to it. I think I know what we want and what we need. We need to see some different faces if possible and that will help the group."

139 thoughts on “Millwall manager hints at busy month of transfer dealings

• December 22, 2014 at 08:06

Definitely getting rid of the deadwood. Major clear out on the way.

• December 22, 2014 at 13:07

@malcolm03: it's finding someone mental enough to take em mate! that's where i think we're gonna have major issues unfortunately.

• December 22, 2014 at 08:19

Young hungry players in,old money grabbing journeymen out please IH! COYL!!!

• December 22, 2014 at 14:47

@333lions:
      what like the hoff? he did the job - it is very easy to see young players as the answer, but the morons our crowd slaughters them after 20 minutes

• December 22, 2014 at 08:33

It would be great if we could get some of our own young players on the pitch, IH says he is looking for pace but Fred Onyedinma has bundles of pace and a bit of flair so give the kid a chance. Saying that we are desperate for a striker to help out Gregory.

• December 22, 2014 at 08:39

Not just players needed , we want new staff and MANAGER .

• December 22, 2014 at 09:12

@John: So many fans annoy me saying sack holloway blah blah blah! Who else are we going to get? On our budget where do you realistically think we can be? He has so many players he clearly doesn't want and most of the players he has bought in look good. We had 6 years of stability with Jackett and we need it again. We don't want to be sacking managers and replacing them every 6-12 months as we will just get relegated and be even worse off. We need stability and I believe IH will keep us up.

• December 22, 2014 at 11:20

@whiteliont: I said this yesterday, no one else will come in, no one would do a worse job, but no one could do much else with the squad, if holloway stops tinkering (which he says he has now) and settles the team down we can survive comfortably.
        It's his first full season and it is a transitional one, we have to give him 2015 to sort it out.
        Clear some out now, patch up in this window, massive clear out in the summer and then get his own players in the summer, he then has until xmas 2015 and if we are still as we are he has to go as his plan wont work.

• December 22, 2014 at 11:33

@brooker: I couldn't agree more. We have 24 players out of contract in the summer which will help us massively. IH mentioned Burnley last season getting promoted on a small budget however they had a small squad who stuck together. We have too many players who couldn't care about the club. If we can stay up this season I firmly believe that we will do well next season. I can't remember the last time we had a manager focus on youth and the future of this club, so many fans are so short term focused.

• December 22, 2014 at 11:40

@whiteliont: I think having 24 out of contract players is contributing to poor form personally.
            1) Do you feel valued if you have to play for the contract (if he wanted me he'd offer me a deal)
            2) Do we just wait it out it doesn't matter I'll be gone for free and can choose in 6 months
            3) Oh my god what if i dont get a contract and i dont get a new club and my career is over, i have kids to feed, stress, worry, bad performance.
            No coincidence the best players so far have secure contracts.

• December 22, 2014 at 12:15

@whiteliont: &booker both of you are spot on here.
            Whilst it is frustrating that IH keeps tinkering with Team, the fact that we have 24 players out of Contract at the end of the season, many of whom would not sustain a regular 1st Team place in a League 1 side let alone a Championship Team must hinder any Managers Team Selection.
            We have to give IH a chance to build a Team once he can clear out this Dead Wood. My hope that he will be able to keep us up this season and then we can judge him fairly with a relatively fresh start next season. From what I hear he is improving things behind the scenes to help generate better players coming through our Youth System. This has to be seen as a good thing but in order to build the right foundations he must be given time.
            With regards the 24 out of contract players, 75% probably will not be with us come the Summer. With those that he fails to shed during the January window, I would be tempted to end their contracts with immediate effect as their influence within the dressing can hardly have a positive effect.

• December 22, 2014 at 13:06

Then he should drop the players who wont be here next season, It's clear to see certain players don't care so why play them?

• December 22, 2014 at 12:22

@John: I'm not into swapping and changing managers, but Holloway is not the man for the job. He hasn't shown he can manage the many players he has already had and I don't have confidence in his ability to bring in the right people. Personally, I'd rather go down with someone like Harris in charge (even until the summer) than face next season in the 1st Division with Holloway still in charge.

• December 22, 2014 at 08:57

We already have Calamity Jane, I suppose its time for the Deadwood Stage to depart.

Too little, too late I fear!

• December 22, 2014 at 08:58

Not just one on "LOAN' , we need quite a few and very, very quickly. Or all you have is " Die - Hard fans like me and 5,000 other watching our home matches & 350 fans travelling away. Get this sorted ASAP Ollie, if the people above give the all clear with ' FUNDS' . ( NOLU, WDC ).

• December 22, 2014 at 09:02

Not wanting to be a pessimist but I'm sure we've been told the same nonsense about signing new players during transfer windows in the past.

Then what happens we get no one or 1 or 2 crappy loans!

Prove me wrong Ollie!

• December 22, 2014 at 09:24

Pls don't publish the names of our targets this window
    It's bad enough being let down week in week out with the current crop the last thing we need to know is who WON'T be signing for us.
    Pls let us know who HAS signed.
    Merry Christmas one and all.
    COYLs

• December 22, 2014 at 13:00

It is sites like this that lives off printing gossip and crap, its just click bait for advertisers, Should be telling us something when we have signed a player not who we want to sign.

• December 22, 2014 at 09:26

Sounds good to me, the only worrying bit is 'I need more choice'! How much choice do we need! Don't think we've played the same starting 11 all season!

• December 22, 2014 at 09:30

sack Holloway what a joke that is he will get players in HIS players then see what happens i am convinced he IS the right man for the job
    too many lightweight players get shot ASAP
    IOIT

• December 22, 2014 at 11:24

@MIGHTY: i said yesterday, the only players at the moment we'd all probably keep are the ones he has signed, the jury still out on webster and briggs, but williams, upson, angel, gregory, fuller, magaye, he also technically re-signed forde so he is his man, and has previously worked with and likes Jimmy and Shittu.

• December 22, 2014 at 10:02

if he thinks martin is quick then thats worrying because all though he works hard he does not go past defenders enough for me and woolford is slower than me. Use Fred and maggie as they are our future. Mcdonald is ok on the ball but is not a threat , angel needs more time but jimmy all day instead of him, . A striker who wins a header for gregs to feed off and hopefully score some goals. Lets see what happens but not getting my hopes up

• December 22, 2014 at 10:37

@DELBOY64: Too true - Woolford is like an old woman.That is what is missing in the team - Pace.
      Pace is what hurts opposing teams.

• December 22, 2014 at 10:14

The Bolton defeat left me fuming and I thought Olly made mistakes but Whiteliont is right Who do we get in maybe a 4-4-2 up and at em candidate who will get us battling, fighting and scraping for points, which essentially is what KJ did but all that will happen is eventually you end losing the battle, which essentially is what Millwall have done throughout their history.
    I like what Olly is trying to achieve but you need quality for that and we are sadly lacking in that department. Despite what everyone thinks we are still suffering for the Lomas experiment and ultimately are still saddled with players who offer little or nothing other than a burden to the wage bill. So the answer Olly goes out and buys the missing links but again a club of our size needs to pick up little gems because we are still a small fish in a big pond.
    So will Olly achieve his aim, at the matter I have my doubts but he has to be given an opportunity because if it does come off it might mean that Millwall become a force in the Championship if it doesn't then we will do what we have done historically and yo yo between divisions.

• December 22, 2014 at 10:32

@Vinny Shell: first and foremost the mental one will not get the sack even if we lose to bradford..and that is the the problem.he hasn't a care in the world about his standing at the club.so he feels he can do wot ever he likes(and does).Anyother manager with his s*** record would be looking over there shoulders and rightfully so.
      as millwall supporters we'll used to getting crap managers and he is no different

• December 22, 2014 at 10:47

Problem is no teams want our crap players, so with a limited budget, he is screwed until the summer when loads of them will go. Its going to be squeaky bum time this year, I have no doubt, but it is no good sacking managers every 6 months. Who would we get in? Another manager sacked from somewhere else because he was a failure. Wouldn't mind Eddie Howe though!!!

• December 22, 2014 at 10:49

Where is this weeks 'what we learned' or ain't you bothering this week coz we already know and have for a while now.
    Jim28 spot on.

• December 22, 2014 at 10:51

Morning Jim, How’s the head? Didn’t post the weekend as I had the ump! Listened to the commentary on Lions player. Was bored shitless felt for all of you that were there. Just wanted to wish you all the best for 2015 and hopefully we can get some results to cheer us all up. We fkn need it! Thanks to all on here for the great posts, good and bad all the best for Christmas and 2015. For all the bottle job infiltrators I wish you the pox!

• December 22, 2014 at 10:52

Some of our so called fans on this site make me ashamed to support the same club as them! Sack Holloway...??? The only thing the club will gain from that is a f*** off payout and a low grade manager to replace him! The idea is outrageous! I think some people need to come to terms with the fact we're a very small club competing in the toughest, closest, most competitve league in the world!! IH is our man and we will come good!!

• December 22, 2014 at 11:27

@TheBermondseyBomber: Leeds have had 3 managers and are 1 point better off, changing doesnt help, consistency does

• December 22, 2014 at 11:36

@TheBermondseyBomber: That is your opinion and I respect it and others.Some have different opinions and that is what a Forum is for.
      I am personally not ashamed of supporters that have their own views.
      As they say - time will tell who is right and who is wrong.

• December 22, 2014 at 11:41

@Longfield Lion: I like to see different opinions on the forums but some of what I read makes me cringe! Can't understand the thinking behind getting rid of the gaffer at all! Tried and tested at this level but we're one of the smallest clubs in the league - the overall expectation seems (to me at least) to be unrealistic! Can't say I'm not looking forward to January window - like you say time will tell.

• December 22, 2014 at 12:00

@TheBermondseyBomber: i wish you wouldn't keep saying we are one of the smallest clubs in the league..cos its p****** me of..you moan about what other fans say then belittle wal ...and before you come back with a s*** load of facts. Save it for sonebody else

• December 22, 2014 at 13:25

@Jim28: Truth hurt does it..... you're deluded if you think we're a big fish in this league!

Here's a thought.....Why don't you save your waffle for somebody else?!

Merry xmas!!

• December 22, 2014 at 18:38

@TheBermondseyBomber: One of the smallest clubs in the league? - well, we obviously can't compete with giants like Bournemouth and Brentford up near the top.

We're not a big fish in this league and never have been, but we're a proper Championship club (2nd Division) - nothing more, nothing less.

• December 22, 2014 at 23:14

@Micky Lions: thanks for replying to the post..cos i couldn't bring myself nor should other wal fans have to back the club from a idiotic post

• December 23, 2014 at 10:17

@Micky Lions: What Brentford who spent more on transfers in the last window than we have in the past 10 years! yep!!

Grow up Jim!

• December 22, 2014 at 11:02

Danny nguessan is on his radar

• December 22, 2014 at 11:12

To all those who think 442 is not the way to go,just look at the amount of goal,s being conceded with the latest formation's being played in all division's,4s 5s 6s 7s in abundance this past weekend alone,and if you think back to where we were when george graham took and the position we were in when he left,the first thing he did was give us a solid defence ,disaplin was foremost in his way of playing football it all started in defence ,how can we defend when in dunne we have a man who for a start,is not big enough to be a centre back and is not mobile enough to make up for his lack of stature.{this is not a knock at dunne but at IH for playing player,s where they should not be playing].
    The problem is IH shoot's from the hip,if a player train's well he give's him an ice cream by playing him in the next game,this happen's far to often that is why we never seem to have a settled team.
    All i ask is to have a settled side then the player's will know what they have to do and us fan's will understand what they are trying to do.
    For example can any one understand why he took maggie off,who in my opinion was playing well.

• December 22, 2014 at 13:00

@jim1222:
      Thanks for that Jim.
      Whilst my comment will be nothing to do with our present predicament, it is nice to be reminded of when George became our Manager. At the time we were dead and buried, I think we may have been 10 points adrift at the bottom of the Div. 3 staring Div 4 in the face. I remember travelling to Reading on Good Friday at half time we were down to 10 men (no prisoners Martin was sent off, I think) and losing 3-0, we came back to draw 3-3. We had to go to Chesterfield for the last game of the season to win to Survive. It Was a champagne moment when we won 1-0.
      George may have become a greedy bent b******d later on but I will always consider him one of the best managers we had at Millwall. Fair to say that Dunne would not be CB if he was manager today.

• December 22, 2014 at 11:26

that's all very well and sounds good. BUT!!! we need to get rid of 10 of our own to free up wages. which scares the s*** out of me coz who's gonna want the s*** we have?

• December 22, 2014 at 11:34

@steveomfc5: that's why we have to wait for the summer, we need to be patient and give him until then, I agree with all the negative comments about him and his clueless ideas at times and his daft substitutions and the constant drivvle he spouts, but i think under all the front is a decent manager, and once he has cleared the decks and can work with a smaller squad that he has chosen then we will be a top half club.
      Personally I'd have a look at the staff around him, I think he needs a proper no2

• December 22, 2014 at 11:56

@brooker
        You could be right about a new number two,but ollie chose him.
        brooker i was just about to write a post with a few of my thought's,and i have just been told a friend has died after a tragic accident,feeling sick at the moment,but it put's every thing in perspective,so f*** the football.

• December 22, 2014 at 12:04

@jim1222: I'm sorry to hear that Jim, thoughts with you and the family and friends.

• December 22, 2014 at 13:41

@jim1222: Sorry for your loss Jim. It's never a nice time to lose someone even more so this time of yr.
          As you rightly said f*** the football.
          I'll spare you a thought.

• December 22, 2014 at 21:32

@jim1222: Sorry to hear of your loss Jim, I know how roar you must be feeling. I lost a dear friend yesterday myself.

• December 22, 2014 at 11:46

I am just totally confused. I read all the posts on here and I can see most points of view. Look at our season so far, the games we have won ( I have been at all of them), have not been convincing wins, most have been take the lead and hang on. We have had a couple of fight backs (Wolves etc) which were brilliant, but why can't we start matches like that. I thought we started the season playing some decent stuff, ball on the ground and passing well. On Friday we were back to hoofing the ball up field hoping that McDonald or Fuller would get on the end of it, they didn't. A lot of people praise Holloway, is his record that good?, both promotions were via the play offs when both teams form had dropped in the second half of the season. His record in the premier league is not brilliant. He has made a lot of promises, but delivered little, now he talks of bringing in more players, have we not used more than anyone else in the league. Those who are backing him, are they prepared for us to be relegated and then hope he can get us out of league 1. I do not understand (Apart from the WH connection) why Holloway stays when his record is as bad as Lomas's. and some would be happy to stick with him if we do get relegated. I do not think Holloway helps himself by playing the clown, sometimes it is difficult to take him seriously. As I say I am just totally confused with what he is trying to do. To me relegation must be avoided at all costs, as league 1 is very difficult to get out of. I hope he does come good.

• December 22, 2014 at 11:52

@rikkiatwall: Well said and in my opinion you are spot on.

• December 22, 2014 at 11:57

@rikkiatwall: i agree tbh! he needs at least till the end of the season and we have just appointed gibbs to help him out with the coaching side of things. i am hoping we can shift some of the s*** out this window!

• December 22, 2014 at 12:01

@rikkiatwall: From what i read, he has been constantly chopping and changing to see who he wants to keep out of the 24 out of contracts, he has now said he knows who he wants to keep, which youth players are in mind and who his targets are, I hope this all means he will now settle the squad and i believe the players we have are more than capable of finishing mid table, but we must stay up, if we go down he has to go, if we stay up by the skin of our teeth he must take responsibility, if he continues to mess about every week then more and more fans will turn on him, you are all entitled to say keep him, sack him, do whatever with him, my opinion (and it is only my view and is neither right nor wrong) is stick with it, clear out the crap then judge him this time next year when he has no excuses other than bad refs, when its his team playing his way and they are still sh*t then he has to take full responsibility

• December 22, 2014 at 12:56

@rikkiatwall: It cost us enough in compo paying off Lomas, we just cannot afford to pay off Holloway's contract which I imagine would be a lot more than Lomas'.

• December 22, 2014 at 12:22

Who will buy the players we are trying to get rid of? If they drop their wage demands maybe they can drop a division but I don't believe they will. I wouldn't expect many outgoing in January, most will go end of season.

• December 22, 2014 at 12:27

@glyngo: Agree and that is the Clubs and IH`s big problem.

• December 22, 2014 at 12:29

@glyngo: and that is where the hands are tied, we need to clear out 15-17 players and only bring in 4 or 5.
      2 wingers a striker and a couple of defenders who can play more than 1 position. and maybe once we clear out some midfielder's maybe a decent attacking midfielder and replace McDonald.
      For now if we can move on Easter and Chaplow for a fee and use there 2 wages for 1 striker.

• December 23, 2014 at 08:51

@brooker: FFFP rules are judged over calendar years and not seasons I think so we can get players in January so long as well et plenty go in the Summer. We shouldn't then get a massive fine or transfer ban.

• December 23, 2014 at 11:14

@glyngo: oh we can break the bank in january in transfer fees but can we afford wages? if we sign some decent striker and pay 35-40k a week and go down we are screwed royally, and if they put any clause in it will be a leave for free and lose what we spent out on transfer, rather than a half your wages if we get relegated.

• December 22, 2014 at 12:54

would we sell malone now to try and get something for him or let him walk on a free?

• December 22, 2014 at 13:03

@brooker: I would sell Malone, while we can still get a fee, I don't feel he is the player he thinks he is. He does not seem to have followed on from his earlier promise. His defending is suspect at times and although going forward he can look ok his final ball is usually shocking, so imho cash in.

• December 22, 2014 at 14:34

@brooker: Flog him.... He'll have us over a barrel else!

• December 22, 2014 at 14:48

@TheBermondseyBomber: So is Briggs good enough or will we need a new LB as well as a RB if Wilko goes back to stoke? and the 2 wingers we need with pace plus the target man and back up striker. thats 5-6 players in this window with only enough wages for 1 or 2. i'd cut our losses on some players and just let them go now with a 6 month pay off

• December 22, 2014 at 15:02

@brooker: To be brutally honest I'd prefer we Kept Malone but not on inflated wages - not seen enough of Briggs really myself but the alternative is pay a kings ransom to keep Malone who has his moments but is no worldy!!

Could be worse.... we could be blackpool. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30573624

• December 22, 2014 at 12:54

I agree and wouldn't give him another penny to spend, All he brings in is more midfielders and crocks then plays them in the wrong position.

• December 22, 2014 at 12:58

People are annoyed at what Holloway is saying because he had between January and May last season to work out who he wanted and who he didn't. That period was a perfect time to judge who was good enough to stay and who wasn't. He gave all the players a chance but has this season played so many players in so many combinations and doesn't seem any clearer about who he does and doesnt want to play. One moment Abdou is in the squad and then he isn't. Jack Powell gets a game and then isn't seen for 2 months. O'Brien does very well and hasn't been seen since. Chaplow and Easter both randomly brought back into the squad. Getting very frustrating and we don't need to be in this position. This should have been sorted in the summer. The good run we had at the end of last season to stay up has probably confused him about who he wanted to stay and who he wanted to get rid of.

• December 22, 2014 at 14:03

Now I ain't holloways biggest fan but to compare him to that other ginger rat. Is complete b*******. It was that idiot that brought all the s*** to our club which we still can't get rid of. But why has it taken him so long to see the lack of pace in the team. He must be the mental one.

• December 22, 2014 at 14:48

@block 28: he went on the record last year saying he never got a chance from the fans..dont know what hes talking about f****** vernin s***

• December 22, 2014 at 14:17

fk off benzo lol. I have never said sack ollie but ? its nearly a year and we are still in the same sh1t as we were this time last year. we aeem to have a bit more fight this year and at times looked ok and competetive but we have been crying out for a forward yet still we only got gregs and fuller whom ollie drafted in. The youngsters were the way forward but they have again been pushed out even though we are crying out for pace and energy, . Hopefully the clear out will pave the way for decent young ambitious players

• December 22, 2014 at 14:59

First of all, if you're calling for Holloway to be sacked you are deluded. The guy clearly doesn't help himself with his actions and 'Willy Wonka' analogies etc BUT he is working with most of a squad he inherited from Kenny and Lomas.

I make it 10 of our current squad are Holloway's signings with the rest having been here a while or youth products and if you were to name our best players at the moment Gregory and Williams would top the list (or be very close) so he's still got the ability to identify talent for this team with out budget.

I think he does know what he wants to achieve with us and knows the players he needs to implement his ideas on the pitch but as most of the other posts have pointed out, its out of his hands getting rid of most of the current squad as we've been left with utter garbage that no one else wants. I bet he can't wait for the summer and they all leave like the rest of us!

January is massive for this football club, I don't expect a huge £1m+ signing or us to have a massive clear out or anything like that but I do expect us to buy at least one player (for a reasonable fee not like £100k) and bring in a couple of decent loan signings to just stop the rot and get us safe for this year at least.

I genuinely believe that Holloway is the right man for this club but he just needs to tone down his antics and concentrate on getting players in who actually want to play for us and winning football matches.

Oh I just saw on the clubs official twitter account that Justin Hoyte is playing for the 21's today, I completely forget he was still here, at least he's doing something for his wages eh!

• December 22, 2014 at 17:08

@spj91: I'd make him play for the Lionesses, waste of space.

• December 22, 2014 at 15:48

I am sick to death of holloway talking bolloxs
    It's time to walk the walk and stop waffling
    We are no better of than when he took over from Lomax
    In fact we are WORSE

• December 22, 2014 at 15:49

I am sick to death of holloway talking boll*xs
    It's time to walk the walk and stop waffling
    We are no better of than when he took over from Lomax
    In fact we are WORSE

• December 22, 2014 at 16:00

Personally I think this season is a write off. The problem with accepting the inevitable drop to the (kick your way out )division 1 is that just being in div. 1 doesn't mean we will get promotion. This division just requires safety, to maintain our income. If we do get relegated( which I think is a given), it could be another 5 years before we return to the championship. Bigger clubs than ours have found it difficult . Having said that I dont think there is anyone better than Ollie.

• December 22, 2014 at 17:07

@wallchef
      I find your post a bit double dutch,you say this season is a write off,you think we are going down,you think we might take up to 5 year's to get back up if we are relegated,but you dont think there is any one better than ollie.
      If we do get relegated who do you think is to blame,for to be honest if we do go down [i hope we dont] i will lay the blame firmly at ollie's door for the way he has mis managed the team so far.

• December 22, 2014 at 17:06

Look at the players not the manager holloway will do the job a majority of our players have been crap for two seasons now he needs to get rid and get hungry players in who want to earn a wage and play for millwall, the manager tells them what he wants but they are not giving it to him, get of his back and support him

• December 22, 2014 at 17:37

Don't wanna leave ourselves short but don't wanna over cook it and rock an already unstable ship. Ian's on his last real chance in January I think before the mob sets in and we all know that spells trouble. Fingers crossed.

• December 22, 2014 at 17:42

Is anyone else bothered that come January 'The wand' might be sold?we need someone to build around.

• December 22, 2014 at 17:43

@millwallchris74: ollie won't be going anywhere he is quality manager when he has hungry players he will come good for millwall

• December 23, 2014 at 08:59

@jcmfc1967: I know you are right about Ollie, he has a track record of success to prove it, but I can't understand why it has taken him so long to settle on his best 11 and a system that suits his squad. I wonder if he under estimated the problems we had at the club when he joined.

• December 22, 2014 at 18:10

1) Holloway publicly set himself a three year target when he took the job. I think the'tar
    get' was promotion to the prem. 2) When the club are in Div One, will he be revising his nonsensical targets ?.... 3) What does the Yank really want from this 'soccer club', success on the pitch, or increased value of his investment in the real estate of the surrounding area ? 4) Too many children have access to the web (as this site proves ! )+ anyone wish Mickey Purser was back ?

• December 22, 2014 at 18:13

What Millwall needs is a new manager, until IH goes nothing will change, this weekend's matches could be the catalyst to whether we stay up or go down. I cannot understand anyone who thinks Holloway has done a good job or those who keep making excuses for him. Its the same old story and the same old song from him..a new broom please!

• December 22, 2014 at 18:20

@PECKHAMLAD: well that's ok then, you don't understand us who want to keep the present manager, and we don't understand you lot who want rid of him.

• December 22, 2014 at 20:12

@bordersarebest0170:

we cannot afford to pay him off - so he will not go - so stop whining and support the players - we heard all this last year - we are always going to struggle until money is spent and we don't have much - to stay up a is a feat of a kind in this league - think Huddersfield Rotherham Blackpool - we have not had the assets to sell like some other teams - if we buy better quality in the new year we have a chance - holloway's messing around with squad and structure is to do with the basic fact that on the whole our players are not strong enough - he has shipped out lowry robbo TOWIE etc realising they are not good enough and he needs to do it with others but he can't

• December 22, 2014 at 18:39

IH needs to get these signings right or we will be in big trouble,we have not moved on at all really from last year and seem to be clueless when it comes to shape,tactics and formation. Thats either because the players are not up to it or IH is doing a bad job or its both. I cant see why a man thats been in the game all his life cant see the obvious and know how to get a team to gel. We are about to find out if he is up to the task,I just hope he is. Good luck IH.

• December 23, 2014 at 09:01

@LETEMCOME: you hit the nail on the head in that post.

• December 22, 2014 at 19:14

Ian I suggest you look to Eddie Howe and Bournemouth and Mark Warburton and Brentford for inspiration and direction on how it's done in this league. Both clubs get similar size crowds as Millwall on a regular basis, both clubs have chairman who back the manager and regardless of the financial losses still put their hands in their pockets to purchase the young hungry pacey players who make the difference (Even if its a few million).

When was the last time we actually beat another club at this level resoundingly (I mean a 5 or 6 - 0 thrashing, when? Maybe Preston was the closet in our first season back but we have been on the end of so many thrashings every season since it's utterly sickening. When are you going to deliver on your promises Olly and turn us around? I guess in the close season we will finally be able to offload many of these useless players but your actions in January will set the tone for the things to come and boy do we need BIG action. I would not shed a tear and nor will many other Wall supporters if we saw the whole squad cleared off to make way for the youngsters and some real quality talent and dare I say it will cost!

Ask yourself what would your mate Mourinho do? Do you think he would stomach this so-called team that is a reflection of his management skills? Of course he wouldn't and nor should you Olly! Are you and the club ready for this? Because as you said in your own words - A nip and tuck will not do, we need major surgery. So tell Bobby Backache to clear out the treatment room up (wheeling out the usual sick notes Chaplow and Bailey) because we're going into the operating theatre to prep for major season-long surgery! Get it right Olly and be ruthless on this. We are desperate now!

• December 22, 2014 at 21:49

@Bexley_Lion: @Sealion:

mourinho would spend £100 million - £287 million his team on the pitch last week - I can manage those players

• December 22, 2014 at 20:20

I do believe we all want holloway to succeed and his CV is experienced, and been up against some big clubs as a underdog, but also relegations when he should have done better.
    Remember the fitness levels are the best his ever had for pre-season really?

But we were all promised the millwall way quote from lomas, from holloway who spoke to jackett and advised him, but I've not seen that enough from us, jacketts football was boring over a period of time but atleast there was a big tackle from everyone ! There Was Enjoyable high tempo games, under holloway we are a bit of a soft touch,
    I would like to see more framptons or a new robbo,
    Watching Brentford the other month against Fulham were like us when we was promoted tempo and tackles the football is not any good but they always have the energy to win the back so it seems they have more possession in the right places,
    They have huge gangerly midfielder (can't spell his name) was on loan to portsmouth
    In league 2 yet he comes back and his playing week in week out in the championship?
    Question is does holloway play the strange shaped tactics because he really is mental or is it because we are not good enough ? And his gambling on something to work ?

• December 22, 2014 at 20:26

bexley lion excellent post, maybe Aldo can post this so The board can read it like we have to when the players come on and give us the same spiele

• December 22, 2014 at 20:29

On recent performance, I think we also need a strong, agile and experienced centre back, someone who can lead the defence and not the aging pro's like Dunne and Shittu. Webster and Beevers are the only realistic players for the future, but is either really a leader?

• December 22, 2014 at 20:41

MERRY XMAS EVERYBODY 🙂

• December 22, 2014 at 21:04

JB must have money to burn, £33M and counting. Play the kids now and again in League 1 if we have to. Throwing more money at it is not the answer. The players we have need to step up and start producing the goods and no excuses. Come on Ollie, show us what a good manager you claim to be. NOLU

• December 22, 2014 at 21:27

@TIMCHIMES: I think you have totally misread my previous post. I agree with all you say in your reply to my post, you tell me to" stop whining and support the team,which was what I was writing ,I also support the manager and hope he is here for a long time yet to see the job he started through to hopefully a good conclusion . Please read my post again properly and thoroughly and don't tell me to stop "whining" when I'm defending both the manager and the players AGAINST the whiners.

• December 22, 2014 at 21:57

@bordersarebest0170:
      not meant personally to you (sorry) but the general trend of despondency on here - we need to be realistic and not fatalistic - I really don't know what people expect (us to be in the top 6) Look at the teams 1 and 2 points above us - there is a lot to play for and we need support not whingers - anyone can turn up when we are winning (same goes for all clubs) All so reminiscent of last year - we are slightly out of our depth until better players can be sourced - same story of our players starting to dread playing at home

• December 22, 2014 at 21:29

JB going to splash the cash and IH has a top 3 strikers lined up all on loan we only need to pay for the wheel chairs

• December 22, 2014 at 22:33

Didn't want Holloway, still don't. But he's here and sacking him now gains us nothing. He is a vastly over rated manager but probably knows enough to keep us up. Let's see how the Xmas fixtures go and what we get in the January sales before any rash decisions are made. Decent centre-half and a decent centre-forward would go a long way toward making it a happier new year.

• December 22, 2014 at 23:53

@lion.ie
      Thing is lion i think we do have a decent centre forward in gregory,problem is IH has failed to get him any support,when O'brien came on to partner him against birmingham the pair looked good,but IH has persisted with Fuller who run's around in small circle's and is easy to mark,and gregory does all the chasing and closing down when he should be the one player we are aiming to get in on goal,unlike you i thought IH was the right man for the job but to say i am having second thought's is an under statement.

• December 23, 2014 at 09:07

@lion.ie: I agree that a striker and CB are needed, with only Gregory playing well up front and currently Beevers at the back we desperately need some quality in those areas. Problem is, we also need to sign Wilko or another RD, and a winger. Can't see us getting all of these in January.

• December 22, 2014 at 23:02

Brighton have sacked their manager, seems some chairmen think of their club first. I cannot at moment see any light at the end of the tunnel. Two tough games this weekend which could turn the season into a disaster or a change of fortune. Hope for the latter.

• December 23, 2014 at 11:22

@timchimes: my mrs is a Leeds supporter and she comes down the den with me (she loved williams penalty lol) @Peckhamlad: we always up our game against the teams that should whoop us, we will get 6 points against Norwich and Bournemouth and paper over the cracks, Ollie will then the team are great and wont need to buy as many as he thought and we end up with 1 loan LB from Sunderland

• December 22, 2014 at 23:16

The long and short of it is that this manager has two bob to spend , he undoubtedly f**** around to much with the players and formation but as the old chestnut goes " you cant polish a turd "

• December 23, 2014 at 07:48

@thecolumbusblock: still 4 pts above the drop zone for all the doom and gloom there is.

Undoubtedly we need to improve but some fans seem to think we've already been relegated.

• December 23, 2014 at 09:09

@MFC Lion: that's right, this January will be one of the most important months in our clubs history. I wait to see what they do about it. Merry Xmas and Happy New Year all.

• December 23, 2014 at 08:57

Jim28, Foxy,Block28,Potty1,Bushwacker14,LETEMCOME
    Jim1222 [ Ex PP1 ] Wongo,TheBermondseyBomber.
    Lincolnshire Lion, Lennie the Lion, Peckham Lad,Peckham Exile
    NO1LIKESUS.Sealion, MIGHTY, MFC Lion, Bexley Lion,
    NICKOLA, thecolbusblock, ALEX, JOSH AND ALL THE TEAM AND
    LAST BUT NOT LEAST THE LION [ OF WELLING ].
    MERRY CHRISTMAS WISHES TO YOU ALL AND YOUR FAMILIES,
    MAY 2015 BRING YOU ALL GOOD TIDINGS & EMMENSE HAPPINESS.
    STORMIN' NORMAN [ AND SUE ]
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "

hecolumbusblock

• December 23, 2014 at 09:38

@bermlion: And wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas Bermlion and continued championship football for 2015.

• December 23, 2014 at 10:03

@bermlion: see you at the next match..might even see you in the anchor...MERRY CHRISTMAS

• December 23, 2014 at 10:10

@bermlion: All the very best for you this Christmas and for 2015. Is another 3 points hard to ask for. Best Wishes to all.

• December 23, 2014 at 10:20

@bermlion: Happy Christmas Stormin' and Sue, have a nice one through 2015 , too. ( NOLU, WDC ).

• December 23, 2014 at 10:20

@bermlion: Thanks very much. Merry Xmas and happy new year to you and your family too!!

• December 23, 2014 at 12:04

@bermlion: A special merry Xmas to bonnie1272, crawleylion and lowdown, who like Nickola ( Shittu's no:1 fan)these mentioned always write very intelligent "Posts", so looking forward to reading more in 2015. STORMIN' NORMAN. NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE.

• December 23, 2014 at 09:44

Blah blah blah humbug!

• December 23, 2014 at 10:02

Just going to leave you with this thought for Christmas. half the season left 6 wins and we stay up.EASY.
    Merry Christmas.

• December 23, 2014 at 12:08

@eddielarge: HAPPY CHRISTMAS EDDIELARGE! HAVE A GOOD ONE MATE. STORMIN' NORMAN.NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE.

• December 23, 2014 at 10:55

We don't have a best 11, our players have not been performing.
    They stopped for Kenny, didn't even start for Lomas and well I don't know what they are doing for Ollie.
    We have a lot of players that just don't seem to want to give there all. If they played with the gobs we'd be in the top half. But they need to do it with their feet.

Ollie and Bircham do seem to genuinely want the club to succeed. So I'll keep cheering them on until at least May.

• December 23, 2014 at 10:58

wishing all my fellow poster's a MERRY XMAS and GREAT NEW year.
    sorry if i have upset any one in the past year,but we have to say what we think at the time.
    jim28, bushwacker14,storming norman,foxy i will get in the blu for a drink.
    mind you i am annoyed at losing the POWDER PUFF ! tag.
    REALsupporter have a good one hope to see you at bournmouth game.
    so once again best wishe's to you all.
    jim1222 [ex pp1]

• December 23, 2014 at 11:31

@Jim28: @jim1222: happy christmas mate, see you in the blu.

• December 23, 2014 at 11:42

Merry Christmas all. Even jim1222. Lol.

• December 23, 2014 at 11:50

With hav a Scrooge this Christmas ambler has said in SLP we will not be poised with a deal on.january 3 we hav the whole month. Jet it says IH wants a defender. Winger. & a striker lack of communication there then.

• December 23, 2014 at 12:01

@block 28: Oh no not the fkng boot fair thing again

• December 23, 2014 at 13:29

I haven't read every single comment on this thread, but I've read enough of 'em to conclude that no-one has actually given a list of who the "dead wood" actually is. Or, for that matter, the entire list of 24 players "out of contact this summer" (I quote). So come on then people ... NAME NAME'S!
    List 1 - The dead wood.
    List 2 - The 24 players.

• December 23, 2014 at 14:41

@robsep2b:

Hoping for a very different team next season. Mixture of our own youth and some quality older heads (not to old) in DEF, MID, ATT. One in each department to give us some experience.

• December 23, 2014 at 14:48

@robsep2b: so called deadwood.fuller bailey chaplow hoyte shittu..in fact theres only 3 who have contracts Forde.Martin.and gregory

• December 23, 2014 at 16:34

Get rid of Dunn he is no good for our club thinks he is top dog and untouchable I'm not going till he is out

• December 23, 2014 at 17:50

@lionheart: thats a bit extreme. Dunne shag your wife or something? 😉

• December 23, 2014 at 16:35

Get rid of Dunn he is no good for our club thinks he is top dog and untouchable

• December 23, 2014 at 17:39

I fail to understand why people think Holloway is a top manager - he bombed at Leicester and Palace and even at Blackpool at the death. His win statistics are dreadful -look them up on Wikipedia. By way of comparison Jose Riga had a 44% win ratio at Charlton and still got the Heave ho.

P W D L W%
    Leicester City 22-Nov-07 23-May-08 32 9 8 15 28.13
    Blackpool 21-May-09 03-Nov-12 161 62 43 56 38.51
    Crystal Palace 04-Nov-12 23-Oct-13 46 14 14 18 30.43
    Millwall 06-Jan-14 Present 46 12 16 18 26.09

• December 24, 2014 at 07:20

@Jzero: Best comment written. I suggest like me, you make money out of this situation. I've made fortunes this season. We are playing counter attack football, getting as many people behind the ball, however we have no pace! When Dunne and Beevers are both playing together i double my bet for a loss against. I think my record is out of 18 games I got 14 correct predictions. V.Good % . Even if I lose my bet, and we win, I'm still happy, i'd be happy to lose thousands if we could go up to be honest, but I'll stick to my footballing brain over emotions. Something Ollie should do, or maybe like me, he's making a killing too.

I think Ollie may start to get it right after New Year though, as he's shown he dropped Dunne as skipper, the moment he drops McDonald & Dunne from the side, plays Maggie in place of Mac and gets a good centre half with Shittu, I'll start reversing my bets. Until then, I wait for team selection and Boom. If Ollie plays a young side against Bradford, I think it will open his eyes, to how deluded he's been, (our young side is better than our seniors by miles) till then at least I'm getting something out of this pathetic system and team selection. Stats don't lie over years.

• December 24, 2014 at 06:38

I like Ollie, but I struggle to see how his brain works. Why does he like Dunne and Beevers? Why does he choose McDonald as our attacking midfielder? Why does he play Maggie on the right wing? Why does he play this stupid formation all the time? Why does he seem to think Fuller will do anything (look at his knees, no flexibility) I say bring in Roy Keane instead of Bircham, get some truths to him.

I've never seen such a deluded football club. We play counter attack football but with no pace! What a joke. Playing Dunne at centre half and making him captain? Worse footballing decision I have ever seen in my life. Wake up people, take your heads out of your behinds.