Millwall manager: Shittu ready for busy Christmas period

IAN Holloway believes that "supreme leader" Danny Shittu will be able to play "every minute of every game" for Millwall over Christmas.

Shittu, who this week said he "feels 22 again" after fully recovering from a torn Achilles, has discussed the Lions' festive fixture list with Holloway.

The Nigerian skippered the side to a 1-0 win at Brighton last Friday and will start again in tonight's meeting with Bolton at The Den.

And Holloway says Shittu will be able to handle the busy run of games leading into the New Year.

"We have spoken about Christmas and he's totally determined to see each game through," said the Millwall boss. "I'm delighted because I believe he can do that now.

"We need him, the crowd needs him and the players need him. I'm totally sure that I'm safe to play him for every minute of every game now.

"Danny is just Danny and that's what we've been missing. I was worried he'd hurt his calf against Brighton but luckily it was only cramp.

"I believe he's getting better and better every day. We were lucky to stay up without him last season.

"He is our supreme leader – everyone seems to follow him. And if you need someone to win the ball in the air, it's him all day long.

"You could see what beating Brighton mean to him because he is the epitome of Millwall and the fans love him.

"I've been careful with him to make sure I don't damage him long-term in any way. He's getting there gradually.

"He's a different unit to anyone else on the planet and now he only gets cramp instead of re-injured. He's coming along."

19 thoughts on “Millwall manager: Shittu ready for busy Christmas period

• December 19, 2014 at 10:45

He is our supreme leader I agree so you did make a mistake in my opinion Holloway by making Dunne captain.
    We definately need his leadership for the rest of the sesaon.

• December 19, 2014 at 11:43

@wall2wall: Yeah, Yeah, Yeah BIG DAN is back as our Supreme Captain / Leader , Well Done ! All us Lion Supporters : lowdown, Crawley Lion, Foxy, Block28 , Jim28, Norris, Potty1, Mark the Bark, Stormin' Norman & Sue, plus many others super great Supporters like NIKOLA are ready for a Winning team again . ( NOLU, WDC ).

• December 19, 2014 at 12:36

@BUSHWACKER14: hello mate I spoke to alex aldridge this morning and he's going to try to meet us lot tonight, go to the blue anchor where jim28 is ok? Or call or text me 07539 302233.

• December 19, 2014 at 12:56

I'm more than ready for a winning team.
        Massive 3 points tonight if we can get em.
        Come On Wall.

• December 19, 2014 at 12:58

@wall2wall: I don't think he could make him captain while he was still getting fit from the achilles injury. The mistake was making Dunne captain not Forde. I'm not a big fan of Forde as a keeper but he is a better leader on the pitch than Dunne.

• December 19, 2014 at 13:03

@junkmale:
        It's worked out well then because we definately need a captain like Shittu out in the thick of the battle for the next few months.
        A nice run of a few wins would really change the mood.
        Here's hoping as always.

• December 19, 2014 at 13:38

@wall2wall:

Dunne was made captain because his leadership last year turned the team around and kept us from relegation and he has played well this year.

• December 19, 2014 at 14:02

@FLLion1:
        Agree with that but he is not my choice for captain on the pitch during the battle.
        Shittu for me all day long. No contest in my eyes.
        Holloway obviously starting to feel the same way.
        Doesn't mean I don't love Dunne as I have the utmost respect for the man.

• December 19, 2014 at 14:35

@wall2wall: Sadly the fans choice really doesn't matter, what goes on in training and in the dressing room before, during and after games counts for some of the role, not many are lucky enough to witness this part of the game,
          From all accounts Shittu is the better in those places too.
          whoever translates "Ollie Language" the best should get the job.

• December 19, 2014 at 10:55

why do big faced women keep popping up in the middle of every article I try to read grrrrrrrrrrrrr

• December 19, 2014 at 13:00

@brooker: install the Adblocker addon. That'll sort it

• December 19, 2014 at 12:15

It has taken Holloway a log time to realise that, he was the one who dropped Danny.As usual a lot of bluster and talking up his team. He is starting to sound like Cameron more and more.

• December 19, 2014 at 13:05

@Peckhamlad:
      Oh Peckham lad he might be a lot of things Holloway but please dont compare him to that lying bar steward who only cares about the 1%.

• December 19, 2014 at 16:36

@wall2wall: Yeah I agree, but like that ratbag he tends to talk up what not there.

• December 19, 2014 at 13:45

Not Shittu"s biggest fan, but you can't fault his attitude, he is a proper leader on the pitch and gets players involved. His performances are getting better as well, so gradually he's winning me round

• December 19, 2014 at 15:39

@dpendet: I couldn't summarize it better myself, I still don't like him in the team, but somehow he gets away with falling over/being slow/terrible first touch and passing and manages to win MOM awards!!! Whilst the luck is with him, good luck to him, but one day it will run out and he will get torn to shreds. Lets hope that doesn't happen tonight,

• December 19, 2014 at 15:28

how can he be a millwall legend or hero? he's black! we're a racist club remember? well that's what the sun said.

• December 19, 2014 at 15:36

@steveomfc5: Goes to prove what a load of b******* the Sun is, doesn't it. bloody vultures,

• December 19, 2014 at 15:46

@glyngo: my point exactly! sun = c******.s!!!