Danny Shittu reveals he could have left Millwall last summer

DANNY Shittu has revealed that he turned down offers to leave Millwall in the summer.

Shittu skippered the Lions to a vital 1-0 win at Brighton last weekend and will keep his place in the side for Friday's clash with Bolton.

But the defender, who feared he might not play for the club again after tearing his Achilles in March, could have quit The Den when he wasn't playing at the start of the season.

Instead, the 34-year-old chose to battle his way back to full fitness and into manager Ian Holloway's plans.

"I could have gone elsewhere but I stayed here because I love this team, the club and the fans," Shittu told the Southwark News.

"I had options but there was still a job that needed to be done here. That's why I stayed and didn't want to go.

"It's good to be involved again and show people that I can still do it, regardless of my age or what buy nolvadex tamoxifen I've been through.

"This is what I do and I can keep doing it."

Shittu has known Holloway for over a decade from their time together at QPR so was always confident of making a comeback under his former boss.

"I knew that the time would come when I'd be needed because Ollie knows what I can do," said the Nigerian.

"Some managers might've kept me around and not used me, or seen how I was moving at the beginning of the season and forgotten me.

"But I stayed here and we worked hard together. It's nice that he can turn to me when he needs a win and trust me to play.

"It's been hard for him too recently so when the manager put me in the team, especially for such a big game like Brighton, it shows that he has faith in me. I thank him for that."

31 thoughts on “Danny Shittu reveals he could have left Millwall last summer

• December 18, 2014 at 10:44

Keep him at the back with Beevers, Wilko and Malone wingbacks and its a decent back 4. We need some experience and someone who gives it everything. He is slow and makes some strange decisions but he will always put everything in and the last 2 wins we have had he has got motm! And it means dunne is well away from CB!

• December 18, 2014 at 14:25

@whiteliont: Trouble us Malone is NOT a decent fullback.

• December 18, 2014 at 18:10

@nocalves:
          Yes he is, Slow down on the drugs. He's a full back by trade and a good one at that, he's been part of the side that kept stoke in the premier league for the last however many years, certainly not a mug, just lacks ability going forward.

• December 18, 2014 at 18:18

@82wall: todays full backs should be able to get forward and get up and down the line, he's a good defender but not quality, he reminds me of rhino at fb to be honest.

• December 18, 2014 at 18:22

@82wall: i can see how this confusion arose, i meant to say he wasn't a wing back, well certainly not a good one.

• December 18, 2014 at 19:46

@Lincolnshire Lion:
        Malone is not a full back ....full stop.
        He cannot tackle, he has no positional sense, he appears to have no football sense.......
        he makes the same mistakes, match after match....without fail, and come the last 15/20 mins of a match, he just goes AWOL, where defensive duties are concerned.
        Wilkinson is a full back......as is Briggs..
        would rather not see Malone in a Millwall shirt, ever again.
        Truly a waste of money

• December 18, 2014 at 10:50

Got to say ive always liked Danny a natural leader something we have missed since Robbo left ,i think we could have had another couple of seasons out of him IF he stayed fit and I cant remember the last time anyone beat him in the air .
    Lets hope he gives Trotter feeney and silly Conor a welcome home they will never forget on Friday .

• December 18, 2014 at 10:58

Beevers and Shittu look like a really solid partnership. The only concern I have is that they may get done for pace by some teams, but to be fair they aren't much slower than any of our other defenders. I hope he stays fit and in the side for a long time. They have missed his command of the air and his leadership. I don't think we would have conceded half as many from set plays this season if Danny had been fit and in the team.

• December 18, 2014 at 11:06

Yes , Big Danny Shittu helps Beevers to play really well. Same back four is the Best we have! See all you friendly MFC fans at the queen Victoria after 5.15pm Friday. ( NOLU, WDC ).

• December 18, 2014 at 13:30

@BUSHWACKER14: looks like just me and you mate at the vic on friday, thought jim 28 would have had a beer with us.

• December 18, 2014 at 14:38

@foxy: might pop in for a couple mate

• December 18, 2014 at 14:59

@foxy: if not will be in the blu

• December 18, 2014 at 11:10

I know he's getting on a bit but it frustrates me that he doesn't go up for corners more often. He's powerful in the air and has scored goals from corners when he does venture up there. Leaving him at the back seems a waste as he hasn't got the legs to keep up with a fast flowing counter attack so Beevers and wilko could stay back. I guess out of every two corners, he'll get his head on one of them which is a decent ratio.

• December 18, 2014 at 11:17

I hope Conor Wilkinson plays tomorrow night and comes up against Danny, apparantly its a nice view from the upper tier hopefully Danny puts you there!

• December 18, 2014 at 11:36

heart on his sleeve live dunney to be fair but scary for opponents. another season will do nicely. smash wilkinson , feeney and trotter please Danny

• December 18, 2014 at 11:37

Nice bloke as well. My son had a great time with him when he was mascot. I do feel Beevers is not at his best, and Wilko needs a bit of help on the right, as Brighton had loads of room on the right on Friday.

• December 18, 2014 at 16:20

@beedoscores: I agree, this is where Gueye doesn't track back enough and prefers to be attacking, leaving Wilko outnumbered!

• December 18, 2014 at 12:20

We could do with more players with the same attitude as him. Well done shittu that's what we do!!!!!

• December 18, 2014 at 12:32

@block 28: whats that take 6 months to get fit

• December 18, 2014 at 13:33

@Jim28: your a f****** mong

• December 18, 2014 at 14:36

@Tayls: no i'am f****** right.p****

• December 18, 2014 at 16:35

@Jim28: I love Shittu's never say die attitude but I think he is kidding himself that he can be more than a bit part player. We wheel him out when our backs are against the wall and he digs deep to put in a performance...but he ain't got the fitness or mobility to be a long term solution. Gotta love him though!

• December 18, 2014 at 16:25

@Tayls: No need to call one of your own a mong if you don't agree with HIS opinion!! Jim don't rise to idiots like this, clearly not Wall!! It did take 6 months for Shittu to get fit, but he did have a pretty nasty injury at the end of last season so was always playing catch up....

• December 18, 2014 at 18:46

@Bradders: your right he did have a dodgy injury which raises the question .
            did a injured player really get alot of interest from other clubs..

• December 18, 2014 at 12:49

I must admit, I had been desperate to see Holloway keep Shittu out the team this season, in August I genuinely felt when he played there was an accident waiting to happen when he gets the ball at his feet and his lack of pace would haunt us week in week out BUT right now he's proving me wrong and his leadership qualities are obviously outstanding and he's exactly what we need in this dogfight . Keep up the good work Danny!

Beevers and Shittu at the back is a must tomorrow night, as if reports are true it will either be Wilkinson or Gudjohnsen up front for them, neither have blistering pace so our lads should be able to win everything in the air!

COYL!!

• December 18, 2014 at 13:33

keep doing what u do Danny Boy , Cos "that's what we do !

• December 18, 2014 at 13:46

Saw Danny S at Derby away last season.

He was immense that day - another tough 'backs to the Wall' 1-0 win

• December 18, 2014 at 15:49

Love that attitude. Sometimes a player with heart trumps a gifted one. But that does not change the fact that we need a striker to play alongside Gregory. No more midfielders please, and will the FA allow us a special dispensation to sanction our choice of referee. I think not. They will still keep sending us blinkered bias dross who just happen to support any side that we are playing. Rant over!

• December 18, 2014 at 16:22

It's wot you do shittuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! COYL!!!