Millwall open talks with Stoke over Wilkinson extension

MILLWALL are hopeful of extending Andy Wilkinson's loan deal until the end of the season.

The Lions are talking to Stoke City, Wilkinson’s parent club, about keeping the right back beyond January.

The 30-year-old said earlier this month that he would be open to staying in south London and Holloway is confident of wrapping up talks before the transfer window opens.

Millwall have lost only two of the six games Wilkinson has played in since he moved to The Den in mid-October and he looks set to make the right-back berth his own in the New Year.

Holloway is also ready to begin discussing the possibility of Wilkinson joining the Lions permanently, with his deal at the Britania Stadium due to expire in June.

"We're working on extending the loan right now," Holloway told the Southwark News.

"I think Andy wants to stay so that would be fantastic. He's enjoying himself here.

"Hopefully we'll get him until the end of the season and he's out-of-contract in the summer as well. He has settled us down."

Meanwhile, Holloway says he is working tirelessly to beef up his scouting network ahead of the January window.

"Mick Harford is our only scout at the moment so we've got to expand that department – I know that and the board knows that," he said.

"In the meantime, I've got to get on the blower, get us a list of names and get us looking in different areas of the world. We need to identify our market.

"We need a steady conveyor belt of new players coming in. I need to find some new players to give us more options and the ammunition that we need."

7 thoughts on “Millwall open talks with Stoke over Wilkinson extension

• December 18, 2014 at 09:29

If we can keep Wilko until the end of the season that'd be great, he has been brilliant since joining!!

• December 18, 2014 at 09:51

don't rate him myself. Reminds me off a younger slightly better dunney. Solid defensively, offers little going forward and a bit of a loose cannon too. Would keep until end of season to keep us in the league but if we are to play more attractive football, pass out from the back with our full backs pushing on and a dm dropping in play making this is the type of player we need to move away from. Old school millwall full back and I for one would like to pay to watch entertaining football.

• December 18, 2014 at 10:17

@cos_mfc
      We will never get the fan's in to pay for these entertaining fullback's.so the hope is as you say Wilko can help keep us up ,then we may have home grown talent [hopefully] or another player converted from winger like carlos edward's [doubtful about that though].At the moment begger's cant be chooser's.

• December 18, 2014 at 10:11

Before the sending off, which was very harsh, totally 50/50 the only difference Andy did not roll about, I thought he was just the job but the game against Blackburn we got a lot of grief from his side of the pitch and did not have a good game, I thought, against Brighton, but a clean sheet so cannot really complain. Still have to be convinced but I think he could be a decent signing, I suppose it depends on the Carlos situation, as well, now that was a big loss.

• December 18, 2014 at 12:19

I think wilko was just the kind of fullback to get in..a proper fb..i'am all for wingbacks but you have to have one who actually defends

• December 18, 2014 at 12:25

@Jim28: agree good solid fullback sign him permanently & when Edwards comes bk he can go bk to being a winger.

• December 18, 2014 at 13:55

Are you kidding me Mick Harford is our only scout ?