Millwall boss "delighted" with addition of new coach Gibbs

THE addition of Nigel Gibbs to Millwall's backroom team will give boss Ian Holloway time to "get properly ready" for the January transfer window.

Gibbs, who has previously worked for Watford, Reading and Leeds, was named as the Lions' first team coach on Monday.

The 49-year-old will be heavily involved in first-team training sessions, allowing Holloway to focus more of his attention on recruiting new players.

Holloway has confirmed that Gibbs was on the verge of returning to Watford before he agreed to come to The Den.

He said: "I was lucky to get Nigel because if we'd been a day later, it would have been done.

"What this now lets me do is get properly ready for January – big time. I shouldn't be with the players all day, every day.

"Marc Bircham is similar to me, very in-your-face, but Gibbo is the other end of the scale.

"They will be invaluable for me. And in your management team, you have got to have fresh enthusiasm and some experience.

"Nigel is calm and you couldn't fluster him if you put a bonfire under him. The whole thing is absolutely spot on.

"Having another voice will be absolutely vital."

Whether Gibbs remains with Millwall long-term could depend on when Brian McDermott takes his next managerial job.

Gibbs has assisted McDermott, now working as a scout for Arsenal, at Reading and Leeds.

"What I've done is left things open so that if Brian gets a job in the summer, and if he wants to be loyal like he always is, [he can go]," explained Holloway.

"It depends on how we get on."

Holloway first considered appointing Gibbs following a recommendation from Gary Penrice.

Penrice, who has known Holloway for over two decades from their time at Bristol Rovers together, currently works in the recruitment department at Everton.

"I know Nigel through Gary , who is probably my best mate in football," explained Holloway.

"He was great mates with Gibbo at Watford, and Gibbo knows Kenny Jackett too. I'm in that Jackett family where we all know each other.

"Nigel is a loyal person and I didn't think for one minute that he'd be available right now.

"I was speaking to Gary the other night when he suggested Gibbo. I assumed he would go with Brian but he's got a job at Arsenal for the next year, so I spoke to Nigel.

"What I managed to do was sell him the role that I want him to play for me.

"It's an extensive, important role that goes through the whole club to give us the coaching that I want to go from the first team right down to our babies in the academy.

"It's not about Nigel choosing us over Watford because we’d never win that battle, would we? That club is in his heart. It was about the role and how I sold it to him.

"I used to be able to sell a fridge to an Eskimo but at the minute I seem to be losing that touch [with players], although obviously not with Gibbo.

"I knew it was an awkward time but I asked him to think about it and take us seriously, and I'm absolutely delighted he's here."

20 thoughts on “Millwall boss "delighted" with addition of new coach Gibbs

• December 17, 2014 at 15:31

Nice to have one of the "Gibbs" brothers in the Camp. Let's hope he proves himself to the MILLWALL family, before he leaves during the Summer. ( NOLU, WDC ).

• December 17, 2014 at 15:48

Hope he brought his boots with him, he might get a game too!

• December 17, 2014 at 15:51

Why let him leave in Summer if Mcdermott gets a job. It would probably be to another championship team. How about loyalty to the wall. So whats the point of Bircham then. Off load him, another wage saved.

• December 17, 2014 at 16:42

Whats the point of saying he can go come summer if his mate gets a job.what about loyalty to the club your at

• December 18, 2014 at 14:35

@Jim28: it's physiology Jim, he showing him a bit of consideration hoping it will be reciprocated if McDermott gets a new job. Even if we had him for longer you can't make people work for you. Managers go in pairs, trouble is no body wanted to go with Holloway or Lomas for that matter, that's the last two managers we have signed without a right hand man. Probably been half our trouble.

• December 17, 2014 at 16:59

@POTTY1: GIBBS played for 20years at Watford , was caretaker manager there, was born near there, that's why his loyalty lies there and not at millwall,cos it's his club,like MILLWALL is ours and our loyalty with it,why question it, he is entitled to be loyal to his own local club,shame a few more weren't .

• December 17, 2014 at 22:50

@bordersarebest0170: is watford paying his wages.cause they aint.MILLWALL FC and the fans expect 100% loyalty from someone who is employed by the club..the same could have been said about jackett who was watford through & though but he was here 5 years not 2 poxy minutes..until gibbs comes on hwre and puts the record straight he will be regarded as a judas

• December 18, 2014 at 05:26

@Jim28:
        It's all abit over board. The bloke hasn't even started yet and he's getting grief! With McDermott doing what he's doing at arsenal it don't look like this bloke will be going any time soon so what's the point in slaggin him off and calling him a judas!? It's a little childish and pathetic in my opinion. He might turn out to be a good back room signing, love it here and want to stay, who knows?

• December 18, 2014 at 05:31

@82wall:
          And if you read it properly it clearly states he chose to come here instead of Watford, it's only holloway saying IF the chance arises and he can go back to being an assistant manager for McDermott (and probably earn more money while he's at it) then we wouldn't stop him. Think 26 people who liked that above comment all need to take a chill pill and let the back room team get on with it.

• December 18, 2014 at 07:10

@82wall: i was respomding to the post before mine..and for rhe record(if you read it probably)..i said if this is the case fans would brand him a judas.and you know they would..not at any point did i s***..of..

• December 18, 2014 at 07:17

@82wall: only person who should kearn to chill a bit is you

• December 18, 2014 at 08:18

@Jim28: Well said Jim28.

• December 18, 2014 at 17:45

@potty1:
          @jim.... Why don't you learn some proper English you thick c***. About I should chill out, says the bloke who sounds like a complete f***** fruit loop on every article. You think your some sort of oracle when you look, and sound like a doughnut! Your part of the divvy element of this club, you know f*** all about football and you constantly talk s***. Oh and by the way, this is me chilled.

• December 17, 2014 at 23:01

By the sound of it, Gibbs has a calming personality which is a good complement to Ollie and Marc.

If some of us think Ollie is OTT at times when mouthing it off on here, what must the players think if they're working with him 24/7?

I can imagine some of the side comments when he's full on: "He's doing my head in," would be one of the milder ones.

Some players may respond better to Gibbs than Ollie and Birch.

Let's see where this takes us.

• December 18, 2014 at 05:37

@kitch:
      So how would you deal with a player who was 'doing your head in' ? Some players need to be told if they aren't pulling their weight, if they were doing what they were supposed to do then they wouldn't be doing anyone's head in would they! Holloway appreciates hard work and effort, that's clear from the way he's gone about the gueye situation. I don't reckon he swears at his players any more than most managers, they call all be loud and in your face behind the scenes.

• December 18, 2014 at 08:59

@kitch: can only be a good thing to have someone with a different personality.

Everyone's different and there are bound to be some in the squad who won't respond well to a more shouty/aggressive approach that Ollie/birch may be using.

Just like KJ was a quiet/calm manager having someone to give the players a b********* at times would compliment him well

• December 18, 2014 at 11:38

Sounds to me like Olly is taking a step sideways to concentrate on recruitment and will allow gibbs control over training, maybe it will stop some of the dodgy formations that we have played in the last few months and maybe allow players to play in the correct places. Just a thought.

• December 18, 2014 at 14:37

True Gibbs won't have it played like Holloway. Reading where a very tight ship under McDermott.