Holloway: Angel Martinez gives Millwall balance in midfield

IAN Holloway believes that Angel Martinez can establish himself as an important part of Millwall's midfield after making his first appearance for the club.

Martinez made his Lions debut in the 1-0 win over Brighton last Friday.

The Spaniard suffered a calf injury just days after joining the club in September and has only recently been available for selection.

"I was delighted for Angel," said Holloway.

"That's the first time everybody has had the chance to see him and he gave us a balance in midfield, which we've been missing since we lost Nicky Bailey.

"If I'm being totally honest, Ed Upson and Scott McDonald should really be fighting for one attacking place. and with Angel and Shaun Williams in there, we looked a bit more solid.

"A bloke who's played 100 games in La Liga isn't going to be bothered by the pressure of our crowd or how it feels to be down the bottom of the table.

"We haven't had the chance to see him yet. Unfortunately, a 13cm tear in your calf, in the second week you're here, isn't really your fault.

"That was just the way it was with Angel so we've had a bit of bad luck, but he's caught up now and can be a really good player for us."

Speaking to the club's official website, Martinez added that he hopes to improve on his first Millwall performance.

"As a football player I feel useful again," he said.

"I came here really excited to play as soon as possible so to get an injury was so sad for me and my family.

"It was so difficult, but in your mind you have to stay calm and keep working hard all the time.

"Playing against Brighton is just the first step for me. It was the first time I have played with people like Scott McDonald and Willo (Shaun Williams).

"I didn't have the chance for pre-season games so I need the chance for some adaptation to get more confidence.

"It is not easy to play your first game in December and I am going to have to improve and grow.

"Personally it wasn't my best game, but I think I will adapt more and get better every day. I just felt really happy that I could help the team to win."

17 thoughts on “Holloway: Angel Martinez gives Millwall balance in midfield

• December 17, 2014 at 12:23

Still think we need a decent left sided player to get a proper balance

• December 17, 2014 at 13:51

@brooker: Martin, Woolford and Gueye are all natural left sided players.... think we could do with a righty myself!

• December 17, 2014 at 14:13

@TheBermondseyBomber: Well whoever plays at left back always seems completely isolated and running that whole length and balls keep going into the gaps they leave as they keep going forward and get no support from the left midfield. the right side seems quite shored up. just an observation.

• December 17, 2014 at 12:47

I watched a rerun of mfc v bha game..cos when your at the game you tend to get caught up with other thi gs..and it surprised me how well he played considering it was his 1st game in months..another thing was a comment by the commenater a about fuller.that he didn't have a medical cos he thought he would fail it

• December 17, 2014 at 12:55

@Jim28: yeh the no medical for Fuller surprised me as well.

He's certainly most effective as a sub for last 20-30 mins. He's been slagged off quite a lot on here but he's set up and scored as many goals as anyone else so I think he's done ok for us so far.

• December 17, 2014 at 13:05

@MFC Lion: Don't mind Fuller at all, but only as an impact sub. Gregory looks good up top and they are starting to find him with passes and read his runs better.

• December 17, 2014 at 13:04

Think this lad looked a good player. In first 30 minutes looked composed, assured on the ball and played some tidy passss. Think this is the sort of player that will suit the style IH wants us to play and hopefully his composure will rub of on the players around him. We have to be more efficient with the ball, we constantly gave the ball back to Brighton last Friday and if we do that against better teams we will get punished. Looking forward to Friday, if we can do Bolton Christmas will be looking a lot brighter!!

• December 17, 2014 at 13:55

oh dear ollie giving angel the thumbs up so he will get benched on friday then

• December 17, 2014 at 14:49

I'm getting fed up with this crap from Holloway and the team.

We have one win (and only just), after a complete humiliation and several only just draws. Now the players and manager are off again saying how its all coming together.

Prove it on the pitch.

• December 17, 2014 at 18:17

@AireLys: The facts don't lie and there has been some complete tosh written on here about our performance against Brighton. Still, three points is three points so hopefully the start of a Holloway winning streak because he's had plenty of losing ones in his career.

• December 17, 2014 at 14:59

I think he did say somewhere, that he now knows who is in his plans form the out of contract players and he has probably finished with the tinkering now, fingers crossed

• December 17, 2014 at 18:13

I'll throw this out there but am I the only one who doesn't get McDonald in midfield? 1 goal in forever isn't the contribution you'd look for in an 'attacking midfielder'. I've seen enough this year and he's effective in moving the ball around but to what ends exactly? We create little and to my mind the one up top is the main issue but no goals or penetration from the 'attacking midfield' is also a big factor.

• December 17, 2014 at 19:15

@lion.ie: Your spot on ive said it for ages about McDonald. He is a striker who does not score so they moved him deeper and yes he can keep the ball well at times but to me its a waste of a position which could be filled by a player who really suits that role. Get him gone,probably on big money also.

• December 17, 2014 at 19:35

@LETEMCOME: olly says he dont know which one is .is best attacking mid player(no surprise there).upson or mcd..i would go for upson out of the two

• December 17, 2014 at 20:18

i would play a striker there and have 2 rather than mcdonald taking up a midfilders spot and scoring 1 goal in 42 games

• December 17, 2014 at 21:02

I know he unfit and really can't jude him yet but for me jimmy should be playing. He was brilliant earlier in the season, his passing has come on really good even suprise me one game and done a pass outside of his right foot. If I was playing 3 in center it would be williams, jimmy and upson then youv got more pace in middle to hussle to pressure the other team and then upson to drive the team forward like he did for yeovil v us, plz let me know what you think

• December 17, 2014 at 21:59

At last he has seen that Ed Upson and Scott MacDonald are too similar to play together. I have been slaughtered on here to mention that MacDonald unbalance the side. Yes he is a good player but the old saying of too many cooks (In midfield) also applies in football. Now push MacDonald forward with Gregory and play 4-4-2. Middleborough changed to 4-4-2 and look at them. Let MacDonald teach the new boy, and if Upson get injured during play you can drop him back into midfield and introduce Fuller, or Easter. 4-4-2 should be standard for his level it means players know where to play and does not need much brains to play it. The great Brian Clough wrote in his autobiography that " most players cannot think and play on instinct."
    Do not confuse them and you get a team. MacDonald and Gregory could produce a great attacking partner team. Two players who can think. Gregory hitting them and MacDonald cleaning up rebounds. OR visa versa. Both are poachers and both can hit the ball. Plus they were both brought to score goals so give them a go .Please.
    Waiting for the hate replies.