Millwall forward full of confidence after Brighton winner

LEE Gregory is full of confidence after scoring Millwall's winner at Brighton.

The striker hit the only goal of the game to give the Lions a priceless three points in front of the television cameras on Friday night.

That took Gregory's tally to four in his first campaign as a professional since moving to The Den from non-league in the summer.

Manager Ian Holloway described Gregory as "the best £250,000 I have ever spent" after the former Halifax Town forward calmly converted Magaye Gueye's miss-hit shot.

And Gregory said: "It is always good to get a goal and the goal that wins the game. I gave Maggie a goal at Bournemouth – my shot deflected to him – so he gave me one back.

"It doesn't matter how it comes, as long as the ball is in the back of the net that's all that matters."

He added: "I want to score every game. Even if we'd won 4-0 and I didn't score, I wouldn't be happy as a striker. I'm learning a lot from the manager.

"Everything is so much better – my confidence and fitness. I feel so much more comfortable in the team. When I'm training in the week, I know I'll be in the squad.

"It makes it easier to train knowing that you have a good chance of being in the starting XI. You can relax a lot more and I'm so confident now. I feel I can kick on."

Gregory's first three goals, against Birmingham, Wolves and Brentford, resulted in Millwall picking up just two points.

"The feeling is so much better, scoring the winner," he added.

"Obviously I didn't know it was the match-winner when I scored but you appreciate it so much more when the final whistle goes.

"Knowing you've scored the winner is a huge weight off the shoulders. I'm so happy to get the goal because we needed this win – it makes it even better."

Gregory praised the Lions' defence for keeping a clean sheet just six days after letting in five goals against Middlesbrough.

"You couldn't fault any of the defenders and Danny Shittu totally deserved to be man of the match," he said.

"The back four were really solid. We didn't want to sit off them in the second half but we got pinned back a little bit.

"Keeping a clean sheet after last week is massive for us and does a lot for our confidence. We can go into the Bolton game on Friday off the back of a clean sheet and a victory.

"If we can get a run going we'll start climbing the table because there aren't many points in it."

Gregory admitted that bouncing back from the Boro thrashing hadn't been easy.

"Coming in last Monday was tough," he said. "The atmosphere was flat and people were a bit down but the gaffer picked us up and we needed to be picked up.

"That game had gone and we couldn't do anything about it. We responded in the right way by getting a win."

13 thoughts on “Millwall forward full of confidence after Brighton winner

• December 15, 2014 at 09:14

A very good finish and he showed great composure to lay the ball off and collect it back under pressure. I am getting more and more excited about this lad and what he can achieve.

• December 15, 2014 at 09:31

@glyngo: he needs and deserves much better support and service if he gets that and we can keep hold of him could be another Sheringham

• December 15, 2014 at 09:46

@sicknote: Agree he needs support,thats why the business IH does in January will be vital to our season.

• December 15, 2014 at 10:25

Why did you take so long to play him then Olly if he is that good and the best £250.000 you have ever spent, well done Lee for making the step up to the championship surely there must be other lower league players that can do a job for us. Maybe our scouting system needs looking at as Gregory is a one off most of the other players we are linked with have several other clubs looking at them we need to identify real potential in a player much earlier and buy them before we tell everyone who we are looking at .

• December 15, 2014 at 10:35

@mfc2u: Totally agree mfc, if he had played him from day one he could be on double that tally of goals. To get experience you need to play, not on the bench. Still think IH is a muppet at times. Give Gregory the service he will score, a natural.

• December 15, 2014 at 10:48

@mfc2u: Firstly, Gregory wasn't fit enough to start games from the off. He had just come up from the Conference. Secondly, he picked up a slight injury not long after joining us.

• December 15, 2014 at 10:53

@mfc2u: Yeah, not sure that it works that way, he had some issues when he first came to us, I am not sure we would have seen this level of performance at the beginning of the season.

• December 15, 2014 at 11:23

We do have a player that deserves a chance to play along side gregory and that is o'brien,when they played together against birmingham,they combined well in making gap's in their back four.
      O'brien also supplied the brilliant flick on for Lee to score.
      Although we lost that game niether of these two could be blamed,in fact when we got back to 2-1 it looked as though these two could have won it for us untill that 3rd goal went in.
      I might be wrong but i dont think we have seen O'brien since.

• December 15, 2014 at 13:42

@jim1222: he has played since but only for about 2 short periods...olly will play his faviorites..dunny.mcdonald fuller..thats 3 crucial areas of a side tbat need strenghening

• December 15, 2014 at 11:12

Yeah,very impressed with GREGORY,looks to have plenty of goals in him given the chance.don't think our priority now is a striker whilst we have him ,although we do need a better back up than FULLER, someone young and rapid would be good. Certainly need good wide players with pace, WOOLFORD don't seem the player he was and MARTIN always seems to have something wrong with him. The centre backs all worry me,too slow and cumbersome , we really do need an injection of pace generally throughout the team,and if he's not gonna pick JIMMY then we need a real tough tackling ball winning midfielder. But please ,no more old hacks, let's have young guns with PACE and energy and lots to prove.

• December 15, 2014 at 11:50

@bordersarebest0170: At the end of the season it would be preferable to get playing staff for the future who have some pace and are under 30. For now, the priority is staying in this division, so in January IH should get the players he think can acheive that, regardless of age. Another Carlos Edwardes would make me very happy.

• December 15, 2014 at 13:34

@junkmale: I said something similar the other day.
        This January is sadly just a patch up and survival window, then the real work begins in the summer with bigger budget and freed up wages.
        I'd take a tough tackling 31 year old in the middle and an evergreen forward player like kevin phillips a couple of years ago. (no idea who they are or if they exist)Short 6 month contracts.
        Or a young loan player who wants to break through, loving Harry Kane banging them in at spurs, need him to speak out about how Millwall has improved him and other youngsters should follow.
        Then buy a young hungry players in the summer EARLY so we have a decent preseason.

• December 15, 2014 at 18:05

Let's hope he doesn't turn into another Steve Morison! Good start so far... Keep it up!