Millwall boss hails match-winner Gregory after vital goal

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

IAN Holloway claimed summer signing Lee Gregory is "the best £250,000 I have ever spent" after the striker hit Millwall's winner at Brighton on Friday.

The decisive moment of a tense match came after 15 minutes when Magaye Gueye's miss-hit dropped to the former Halifax Town frontman, who finished confidently into the corner.

And Holloway said: "It's either the best disguised pass I've ever seen or the worst shot from Gueye – I'm not sure which it is.

"Gregory does what Gregory does. He has been a revelation. He's caught up with full-time players having been three divisions down.

"He cost me £250,000 and it is the best £250,000 I have ever spent. I'm so proud of and pleased for him. He could be a cult hero here.

"We like an under dog – quite rightly. Danny Shittu was magnificent as well – immense. What more can I say? I don't need to say anything else."

The Lions weren't as enterprising as Holloway would have liked but they defended superbly at the other end to preserve a clean sheet.

Holloway added: "It was a magnificent win – what a comeback and what character after last Saturday.

"We got things wrong against Middlesbrough – I did, the team did – but it's all down to performances and believing in yourselves.

"We lost that belief at the start of the second half because we got one or two things wrong – we kicked it too long and we dropped off.

"We managed to settle down and, once we got in front, we proved we can defend so onwards and upwards. Let's see if we can win two in a row.

"My team have done me proud ever since I've been here – we climbed out of relegation with eight games left so let's see if we can build.

"I'm delighted for everyone tonight because over recent weeks we haven't got what I feel our play has deserved – apart from last Saturday.

"Tonight I thought we played really well and deserved the points."

46 thoughts on “Millwall boss hails match-winner Gregory after vital goal

• December 12, 2014 at 22:57

A massive result not pretty and not perfect, quite a few mistakes at the back and I felt we didn't chase the ball down as much as we have been but would take a result like that every week, give that side another go next Friday ollie but bring jimmy on a bit earlier, well done lads

• December 13, 2014 at 09:02

@jcmfc1967: Fully agree but I must also say they looked the worse team we have play this term, but its a good 3 points away from home, now we need to start doing it at the Den. I am still not too happy that we did not go for the knock out blow & we did allow them some hope when they maybe a better side would have scored.
      But on a positive note he has ot his first win in nearly 4 months so let hope we make a steady climb up the table to a position of safety by Feb, I thought the back 4 looked a lot more in control than they have over the last few weeks, and Danny is still some one we need to play as he leads the team by example.

• December 13, 2014 at 09:11

@jcmfc1967: Shittu,Shittu, Danny Shittu: that's what we do ! ( NOLU, WDC )

• December 13, 2014 at 11:33

@BUSHWACKER14: a great result and definitely not pretty. We did well overall but our defence we very wasteful in possession, better teams would take advantage of that. Take the three points and run.

• December 12, 2014 at 23:16

Brighton were awful and we were not much better. lets not get carried away. We looked good in spells but not anything to write home about. It looked one of the best line ups for ages so dont change it,keep that side and try to build on it. Millwall away support once again showing there is no better. COYL.

• December 12, 2014 at 23:25

Wins a win, 3 points in the bank no matter how we got em. Beer and a smoke on the porch and a big weekend smile for me. Good stuff.

• December 12, 2014 at 23:29

A******* lucky tonight to get all 3 points tonight must
    Try and bring some quality in not saying we are going to set the world a light but would be nice to not keep
    Looking over our shoulder

• December 12, 2014 at 23:35

Martinez looks like a player once he gets match practice

• December 12, 2014 at 23:36

Back in london in a proper pub..could you hear us on the box..Jingle bells jingle bells jingle all the way.O Wot fun it is to see millwall win away

• December 12, 2014 at 23:52

@Jim28: enjoy it Jim, they say you blokes ripped the noise levels to pieces again. Lion pride!!

• December 13, 2014 at 07:54

@Jim28: YEP, JIM28, EVERYBODY IS HAPPY WITH A BRILLIANT CHRISTMAS AWAY - WIN."PINTS" ARE BEING DOWNED IN CELEBRATION! 'NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE' … STORMIN' NORMAN RIDES AGAIN.

• December 13, 2014 at 00:26

Yes Ollie I agree with what you said, Danny Shittu was immense and deserved his MOTM award, while Lee Gregory took his goal well and looked strong, so that's two players who definitely won't be starting next Friday...............

• December 13, 2014 at 01:01

Good win. Liked the way Gueye & Martinez spotted Gregory's runs. He is going to be the business next season tie him down to a long contract now. Well done wall!

• December 13, 2014 at 15:08

@block 28: Absolutely, Gregory will be top draw soon, give him the service he will do the rest. Another striker in the new year and watch those goals go in.

• December 13, 2014 at 01:39

After a long hard week I have to say that being at tonight's game and cheering my beloved
    'Wall on to a rare and much needed victory cheered me up and raised my spirits bucket loads. Obviously the game as a spectacle was not great but I'm so proud of the lads coming off the back of a sh*te run of 1 win in 15 to grind out a result which is so important to us. Most of all though, I was lifted by our support, - you guys are fuc*ing magnificent and I am proud to be one of you. Good numbers, outstanding attitude, outsang the home side all fuc*ing night and simply the best. "We are Millwall, Super Millwall...." - we fuc*ing are Millwall, through thin, thinner and even thinner. I love my club and it's mainly because of my fellow fans when. I don't know what else to say, just you're very special, all my life this club has meant so much to me and even when we are struggling, as is usually the Millwall way, - my fellow fans keep me going and I always want to be a part of you............thank you all, and god bless us, everyone one of us (Tiny Tim bit at the end for Christmas) 🙂

• December 13, 2014 at 04:34

Onwards and upwards. C'mon u wall.

• December 13, 2014 at 07:29

Far too risky at the back last night. Malone, Woodford, Beevers and McD all guilty of trying to be clever when a good hoof would have been better. Brighton were awful. But still 3 massive points and a 5 point cushion to build on next sat against Bolton. COYL. I imagine the sociology students had plenty to work with last night. NOLUWDC Miiiiiiii

• December 13, 2014 at 08:29

@southlondon1885:
      Actually I am indeed a sociology student - I'll see if I can get a plug or two in my next essay.

• December 13, 2014 at 13:01

@The Humble One: Have you ever heard anything so strange as the students project from last night? I left school many years ago but would gladly go back to get into matches for free!

• December 13, 2014 at 13:02

@Longfield Lion: Thanks for the heads up. I would have gone on Saturday! Fuming now as I'm working Friday!!!! It's not even on sky

• December 13, 2014 at 09:41

About time but I'm still not convinced about our squad overall. Look forward to our next win in March!

• December 13, 2014 at 09:57

We got our noses in front.then defendex very deep.this is wben we should have played our passing football..not keep giving it to fordey to hoof.cos with greggs the lone striker odds are on the cbs to put it back in our half...but 3pts was what we was after & needed...and got em..thought angel played well seeing was his first game in a while..& extend wilko's
    loan to the end of the season

• December 13, 2014 at 10:38

5 things we learned from last night.

1) Shittu must stay in the team.
    2) Shittu inspires team like no other player.
    3) Shittu should be made Captain.
    4) Shittu jumps higher than a Grand National horse.
    5) Shittu - THATS WHAT WE DO.

• December 13, 2014 at 11:36

@Longfield Lion: Shittu also gives the ball away too much, he needs to keep it simple and hoof it like yesterday second half.

• December 13, 2014 at 10:44

To be serious last night I thought we made hard work of it against a poor lacking confidence Brighton side.We did OK first half but second sat back too deep and when we did have the ball gave it away too easy with sloppy passes.What was Forde doing wasting time so early and making it so obvious.Angel was quiet and I am still not sure about Beevers.
    In January we still need a striker,winger and a midfield playmaker.
    Lets hope we can rid of some of the deadwood.

• December 13, 2014 at 11:37

@Longfield Lion: our defence put in a manly performance, no argent there but all these big booming headers are not much use when the ball goes straight to the oppo. They have to work on aiming their clearances at our players to relieve pressure.

• December 14, 2014 at 10:29

@glyngo: aiming it at one player was always going to be hard..

• December 14, 2014 at 09:10

@Longfield Lion: Spot on. The disappointment was that once we scored we clearly set out to defend that lead for the rest of the game. That put pressure on the defence but they did well. I would love it if we could sign Wilkinson.

• December 13, 2014 at 12:02

Well lets hope the manager sticks to the same side. It's noticeable the difference Danny made and leaving out Dunne. However must not get carried away with a win over a pony side we are still in the wrong half of the table. Maybe Berylson should come to every game!

• December 13, 2014 at 12:35

Dunne as captain - W 3, D 8, L 8

Shittu as captain - W 2, D 0, L 0

Let's use that line-up again please, Ollie.

• December 13, 2014 at 13:09

@alpha_dogg: definitely, I reckon it's the best team he's put out all season

• December 14, 2014 at 13:25

@sl28: I think Upson is worth a spot in the team, but struggling to see who he could replace MacD loses form

• December 13, 2014 at 12:47

Thought we started brilliantly, great attacking movement, sharp passing and were good for the goal. However afterwards I thought we were poor and was some suicidal passing at times, the culprit often Scott Malone. We allowed Brighton to dictate possession and if it wasn't for some woeful finishing/decisions on their part the could have scored on numerous occasions. For me this was a much needed result, we dug in but massively rode out luck. Are lads need to move for each other more and start playing the easy pass rather than lumping it to nobody. Hope the team stays the same now and we will hopefully improve. Great finish from Greggs, keep improving son!!

• December 13, 2014 at 23:51

@davesavagesleftfoot: Scott Malone is in my opinion a liablity, he has no positional sense (look at the amount of times that our left winger or left sided CB has to cover for him) and cannot tackle, which is a pre requisite for a defender, when he receives the ball, more often than not he plays a backward pass ( almost always to Beevers right side -when he is purely left footed)..or tries to dink the ball to someone else, either putting them under pressure or giving possession away.
      McDonald is too clever by half, always looking to beat a man with a clever turn, rather than playing a simple pass.
      Woolford has to take too many touches to control the ball and is wasteful in possession.

I could go on and on, it is just a pity that IH cannot sit in the stands for a few matches and see for himself exactly , the same mistakes being made by players match after match.
      Shittu has limitations but you know that you will always get a 100% performance from him, Dunne has limitations but you know that you will not get a 100% performance from him every game...if we can all see it then IH must be watching a different game to the rest of us.
      Gregory is making runs that are not being picked up by the majority of his teammates......so supposed championship players are not on the same wavelength as a player who was a part timer in the Conference last year............time to get rid of the dead weights..........

COYL

• December 14, 2014 at 15:20

@eio: Mate I agree with a lot of your points. For me I have seen Malone play badly more often than I have seen him play well.. He is decent at getting forward I will give him that but is then often out of position. He also gets caught in possession regularly and seem incapable of playing a simple sideways pass... Why other clubs are apparently chasing him baffles me, I sniff an agent bluff??
        Also agree that McD was poor but for me is one of the few that goes looking for the ball and again if he released the ball quicker/didn't shoot from 30 yards it would make him a much more effective player!!
        Was impressed by Gregory, not just for his goal but he has some great movement off the ball and if the other lads look for him more he can open up defences... Was also impressed with how Gueye played, he run his socks off and think with more game time could be a top player for the second half of the season? Shittu is our only natural leader, needs to start if we can keep him fit and Fordey put in another excellent shift between the sticks, double saves in the first half kept us in it...
        All in all don't think we played particularly well but at least we got the 3points. There is potential in our squad but still majority need to stand up and be braver or can still see us getting spanked by the leagues better teams.. Excited for next weekend as if we can replicate our first 20minutes performance for longer we will beat Bolton (and hopefully rub it in lazy trotters face)!!
        Let's stick with IH, show our support and hopefully he will bring in a need a proven forward in the next transfer window.... COYL!!!

• December 13, 2014 at 20:42

I know there are a lot who don't want to see it, but since the win at Fulham, Dunne has become a liability. Not just by his own performance but by his lack of positional sense and how that effects the defence as a unit. Shittu has his own limitations and has had his problems with weight but he is a centre half, and more importantly , a leader in every sense. Which leads me to Holloway - why can he not see what most of us see?
    Why does he bring players into the fold; Fred, Powell, O'Brien, Easter, Chaplow, Ranegie; only for them, rightly or wrongly, to then disappear from the picture? The worrying thing for me, when assessing the manager's performance, is half of the time, I can't see the logic of what he is doing and every time he opens his his mouth he contradicts himself.

• December 13, 2014 at 23:01

@Adsy77777: it would be better if shittu didn't take half a season to get fit.

• December 14, 2014 at 03:48

Don't normally say it but I agree Ollie money well spent with lee he is a goal scorer but he needs more goals!!! We Was 2nd best against Brighton but who cares got the win! Same team against Bolton and get another win!! get Martinez on the ball and he will come good 1st game iv seen him play wasnt Excatly Ronaldo but done a job!!!! And can see him making passes to lee in the final 3rd!!! Shittu needs to play even if it is just as a prospect even tho he isn't the best player again like Martinez done a job MOM! and on soccer AM! Says it all lol. Come on the wall!!

• December 14, 2014 at 10:32

@barneylion:
      Don't know how you can say we were 2nd best. We out battled them, made the most off the attacks we did have, and I don't remember forde making more than 1 or 2 good saves. They had a fair amount of the ball but created next to nothing whilst we were solid at the back and the midfield all put a shift in also.

• December 14, 2014 at 13:20

Well done lads I think Brighton are a better team than their league position reflects nice to see Danny barking at the back four we have missed a bit of that lately and its nice to be slightly positive on a Sunday for a change.
    Im not getting carried away with one win but does anyone know the play off dates at Wembley as I need to book the time off work

• December 15, 2014 at 16:58

Considering it's Lees first full time season he's doing fantastically well but I'd like to see what he could do in a 'two' rather than having to work nuts off ploughing a lone furrow. Not sure he's built for that.