Millwall chairman will back Holloway in January window

MILLWALL chairman John Berylson is flying into the UK today to draw up Ian Holloway's January shopping list.

Holloway wants to add another striker to his squad when the transfer window opens next month and Berylson has confirmed that his manager will have money to spend.

Berylson, who will attend his second game of the season at Brighton tomorrow night, said: "Ollie will be able to do something in January, absolutely.

"I am listening to the manager and the scouting department. We are looking for players because we know that we need one or two.

"If we come up with some names, we are absolutely committed to improving the team.

"There's a lot of talent in the squad so it won't take a lot – we don't need ten players."

Since undergoing knee surgery in September, Berylson has been unable to get to matches on a regular basis. But he is in daily contact with Holloway and chief executive Andy Ambler.

"The manager can always come to me if he needs something outside of the budget," added the Den chief. "He always has the ability to do that.

"We'll be discussing all of this when I come over today. If there are ideas for new players put forward, the board will be listening because we want the team to improve."

Holloway has revealed that he may travel to Europe in the New Year to evaluate foreign players on his radar, with France currently the focus of his search overseas.

"We'll need someone to come in during the window," Holloway said. "I've got the chairman on the phone all the time asking how he can help me.

"We're moving heaven and earth to expand our recruitment network because we need to look abroad. I've got a list of names and we'll have to fly out to see if they're good enough.

"We want to build our infrastructure and get ahead of the game. I want to get hold of the club and try to move it forward."

Holloway added: "We need to bring someone else in up front.

"It's very, very difficult because if Matt Smith ends up at Bristol City and Fulham won't lend him to us, we're going to have to shop elsewhere.

"We're doing what we've always done, so we're getting what we always got. I wanted it to be a nip and a tuck in January but if it's got to be major surgery then so be it."

34 thoughts on “Millwall chairman will back Holloway in January window

• December 11, 2014 at 09:11

Winger, forward & central defender / captain please guvnor.

• December 11, 2014 at 10:30

@Millwallsteve: I personally haven't given up on Webster for his one bad performance in last weeks team. Yea he had a bad game but he is only bloody human and last week our team was poorly prepared all over the park. Beevers and Webster are still a talented pairing with loads of potential. I think we need signings at RB, winger and up front. Only sign another CB if we get rid of Shittu and Robbo, or promote Sid Nelson to the first team. He may well be ready.

• December 11, 2014 at 12:49

@glyngo: Webster's 27, not a youngster. Not going to improve very much. There's been more than one bad performance. It's a shame but he's a liability. 3rd goal v Boro was one of the worst moments of defending I've ever seen at The Den or anywhere else. Very lightweight for a man who's 6'3.

• December 11, 2014 at 18:35

@glyngo: Webster's strength is in his hold up play IMO, he had a shocker of a game the other day, but we shouldn't just completely drop him out. Just seems to me he needs to get his blood up a bit more for games - seems like a bit of a gentle giant.. F**king get stuck in there man!! Frighten em!
        I remember when Shittu was playing for QPR and got absolutely owned by Morison (2-0) - very rarely does that happen now, different player - at 27 Webster's still got time to learn..

• December 11, 2014 at 09:30

we don't need ten players." Bloody close JB.
    and can you tell olly no 30yr old players

• December 11, 2014 at 11:42

@Jim28: I see Heskey is still available.

• December 11, 2014 at 18:50

@Micky Lions: Some people have no sense of humour.

• December 12, 2014 at 09:19

@Micky Lions: don't mention Ched Evans then.
          All I said was "if we have to scrape the bottom of the barrel, then he was available" lots of thumb downs

• December 11, 2014 at 10:15

I'm JB is just playing it down a little so not to upset the players already in our insanely bloated squad by appeasing with the statement "there's a lot of talent in the squad" there was once John, just most of those players are past their best now. Adding real quality in this league is going to cost and if Olly is talking about looking for ways for the club to do things differently so to not make the same mistakes again, then we goner need to be prepared to actually spend on those transfer fees this time and not pick up the usual free and unwanted in the market

• December 11, 2014 at 10:31

I just hope jb is true to he's word and spends big time in january, if he spends the money on a top class striker and a quality center half he will get the money back when all those missing fans return,I think anyway.

• December 11, 2014 at 10:31

A loan player from league 2 it is then.

• December 11, 2014 at 10:35

@alpha_dogg: you really sound a bit thick to lay all of millwall's troubles at the feet of one single player.there's others who have contributed to our depise..fans these days imo have been soilt to such a extent that they expect miracles from a millwall side..in the 70s & 80s for the lions to get a away win it was something to cherish..we didn't moan + moan we just supported em properly..
    these days the fans wait until we're 2 up before they start singing.
    whinging b******* make me sick..rant over

• December 11, 2014 at 10:53

@Jim28: Here, Here! I complete agree Jim, it's what supporting Millwall is all about, the ups and the downs... the most important thing is we stick together, sing when we are at 0-0 or 4-0 down because that's what makes us the best fans in the country, although I think some have lost their way in recent seasons and just see the doom & gloom!

I love a day out to the Den or away, nothing like it, will always stay to the end and keep singing!

• December 11, 2014 at 10:48

There is money to spend and there is PROPER money to spend.
    I know what ours will be.

• December 11, 2014 at 10:55

@Longfield Lion: If we spent PROPER money then our club would have transfer embargos, be in administration and possibly cease to exist.... We have one of the smallest attendances and budgets in the league, not sure what you would expect?

• December 11, 2014 at 11:07

@Bradders: I agree, we don't need all that embargo b*******, I think we need something in January, but I think it has to be a patch up job, weather the storm and wait for the summer clear out.

But if we don't spend proper money we could go down and that would be worse financially.

• December 11, 2014 at 11:23

@brooker: Without doubt we need something in January, a target man up front! We can afford to spend proper money in the summer once we get rid of all that deadwood, then it will all be about quality over quantity as we have some good youngsters coming through on low wages... win/win for the club.

I think there was an article on here a while back, Berylson came out and said it would be cheaper to run the club if we was in league 1 but he wants to push on and build a great club.... what a guy!!

• December 11, 2014 at 12:31

@Bradders: if we do get a quality striker.who has some years left in him..give him aleast a 3yr deal.

• December 11, 2014 at 12:16

We're very lucky to have JB!

A new striker for Xmas please (I can wait until the jan sales)

• December 11, 2014 at 13:04

I bet we get Morrison

• December 11, 2014 at 13:10

Think Ollie needs to convince JB that he has the competence first.
    Look how many cr*p players we have had on loan under Holloway. Prove to JB that he has the right idea and get a few decent results then he could go to the chairman with confidence.

• December 11, 2014 at 13:30

There is often transfer talk on this site but it very rarely comes to anything.Personally won't be getting my hopes up too much.

• December 11, 2014 at 13:48

Imo, as I have posted before I think IH will have around 2 mill to spend, the reason lots of players will leave end of season saving many millions so no need for FFP or administration to come into it, we have young players ready to come in next season covering all positions from goalkeeper to strikers, if we go for Eoin Coyle, Chesterfield will probably accept 1.2 mill, leaving 800K for a CB, Doyle is 26 yrs has scored 19 goals this season, if we were to go down we would have div 1's top scorer so it makes sense to me to go for him but as long as we sign someone from here or abroad I don't mind

• December 11, 2014 at 14:25

on no ollie got the dreaded vote of confidence from the chairman

• December 11, 2014 at 15:49

Backing Holloway in the transfer window will work probably out cheaper in the long run than sacking him.

• December 11, 2014 at 15:54

All we need to do is bring in a striker to partner Gregory and get us out of this mess! It won't take millions either as I'm sure there is someone in world football who is capable of scoring goals at this level that we can actually go out and buy!

Also we NEED to shift out some of our squad players whether its for a fee or even on loan, just free up whatever money we can to bring in a couple of decent loan signings to back up the striker we sign (fingers crossed).

JB has been bloody brilliant for this football club and I would dread to think where we would be without him, perhaps people should remember that before expecting him to pump millions into the club in January, which lets face it - he will never see again.

• December 11, 2014 at 16:33

Remember Christopher Kinet who set us alight with his wing play just proves that going abroad can pay dividends unlike the dead wood/over the hill/injury prone before they got here players in the ranks now ie Bailey Hoyte Fuller,Chaplow,
    So if we splash the cash in January Please let it be someone capable of scoring goals,not old and injury prone and someone with the Wall Ethic.
    and lets unload the dead wood if need be cancel there contacts expensive but there not bringing anything to Wall

• December 11, 2014 at 19:33

realistically we do need at least 7 players j.b we need a back up goalie. someone who will actually challenge forde! we need two solid cb's two wingers a left back and a DECENT striker at this level. and we need to rid hoyte, easter, bailey, martinez, fuller, chaplow, bywater, wright, robbo and malone looks like he might be going also. no disrespect to loyal servant robbo but his time has come as to will dunnes and shittu's not long from now also. and the others i have named are not all bad players but are either over the hill or to injury prone which is a real shame, but we can't afford passengers at the club no more! f****** wage thieves sitting on their merry little arses getting paid for f*** all!!! but the thing ollie needs to realize is that he needs to play a f****** 4-4-2 or at least a 4-3-3 if 4-4-2 is so outdated then how was it borough a*** raped us any which way possible with that formation???

• December 11, 2014 at 21:31

@steveomfc5: how can you say Martinez needs to go when he hasnt even had his debut yet ?

• December 12, 2014 at 07:31

@Millwallalfie777: exactly mate you've answered your own question. His been here months and still not fit enough to play. I worry about jb giving Olly cash to spend! Look at renegie, shocking Plus fuller and greggers, granted they always put in a shift but where's the goals? The players his brought I haven't convinced me that much is going to change in jan

• December 11, 2014 at 19:47

@alpha_dogg: Your absolutely right. It's not all Dunne's fault though, to be fair. When I saw Dunne telling Carlos Edwards what to do ages ago, and pushing him away from a freekick, it made me shake my head. The gulf of class in terms of ability and mentality between the two is huge. We need 2 centre halves maybe from Europe, calm players who can read a game, do the basics well, and don't make mistakes. In other areas- Woolford hasn't turned up, MacDonald does a lot, but creates nothing, Fuller tries hard, but the agility in his legs have gone, Malone lately hasn't been bombing down the wing- I could go on.

If we could eliminate all the goals from set pieces, and just get a fit Shittu alongside a quick, footballing partner we may do loads better, but we still have to score. I feel sorry for Gregory, he wants little slip balls playing him in, Powell could be that player. Also why not play Magaye up front with Gregory? Hasn't he told everyone that's his best position? Ollie needs to simplify everything, he's over complicating things. I like the man, but just thinks he needs a more blunt coach with him, to tell him some home truths, he may not want to hear. But this is all my opinion, I just don't want my little boy crying again, like last week.

• December 11, 2014 at 19:50

Pretty sad to see some of the comments on here today personally I think Dunney should have gone a couple of seasons back but as with so many Millwall players our timing is awful you only have to look at the Malone situation to realise that , also lets be brutally honest how many other clubs actually want to buy any of our squad . Yes I remember all the interest and so called big clubs that were talked about when Fordy was available then no interest what so ever and we then hand him a four year contract that in my eyes is terrible business . As for JB the jury is still out for me yes I know we run at a huge loss (which I admire ) but we have never seemed to show any real ambition Kenny was given no real budget to buy players that's why we always relied on loan players also we then went the lomas route which was a cheap option again that failed and we were forced to show some ambition by going all out for Olly which I still think was a good move .
    But in that time we have needed to strengthen the team especially up front the reality is now days a half decent striker is a million at least and most of those have already gone to our rivals so lets hope the summer clear out frees up some cash for the club to go and actually temp some quality to our beloved club

• December 11, 2014 at 20:06

Just quickly on the question of moaning I totally understand its unhelpful always bitching about the team and certain players when posting on NAD and im sure im as guilty as the next man, but I must admit watching Millwall over the last 30 or so years the moaning part has always been a massive part of the enjoyment for me some of the best days of my life were spent at the old Den at the half way line along the rest of the supporters moaning f ing and blinding and constantly being disappointed ......Ah happy days

• December 11, 2014 at 23:04

@alpha_dogg: I beg to differ on the comments made in the second paragraph.................. Dunney much prefers getting on the skag of an evening... and the upside is, he don't have to go out mugging old ladies coz he's got plenty of dosh... win-win!
    So yeah, f**k off Dunne - f**king 300 Millwall appearances c**t - we don't want no junkies here!