Millwall manager even more determined after Boro mauling

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

IAN Holloway says he is more determined than ever to be a successful Millwall manager after Saturday's demoliton by Middlesbrough.

Holloway took "full responsibility" for the heavy 5-1 defeat and has asked fans to direct their frustrations at him rather than the players.

"It was a bad day at the office and I'm having a terrible few months at the office but we've got to get on with it," said the Lions boss.

"At the minute it is not going the way I wanted it do and I do apologise but I am not going to stop. I'm more determined to get it right.

"I have no problem with all the shouts at the end. I'll take full responsibility – it's my fault, please don't blame my players.

"I have no issue with whatever people want to say to me. My CV stands up for itself – you build yourself a reputation and out of my 850-odd games, that felt the worst.

"I couldn't care any more if I tried and if that's not good enough, then shoot me. I'm going to keep caring and make sure every one of my players cares as well.

"But first off I have to protect them. I don't think they meant to do that on Saturday so just give it to me because we changed shape and sometimes that can be disorientating.

"That's what it looked like. My players are a lot better than they played – I hate to say it. We have got to get stronger.

"It has been a really strange season because we started brilliantly and now it feels awful but it's never that bad.

"We're still in the Championship, we got the right results last year and I'm still trying to build something."

31 thoughts on “Millwall manager even more determined after Boro mauling

• December 8, 2014 at 14:02

I would he think words have been said to him and he now realises that things cannot be allowed to get worse. The critics here must have had their comment read by the powers to be at the club and they can see how much resentment there is .

• December 8, 2014 at 18:34

@peter2545:
      No. No and no. Nobody at the club should take any notice of comments on this joke of a site. And I doubt they do, in the past I no a few players and staff who read Millwall online and the hold HOF , but now days there's no point because anyone can make an account these days and most of the 'advice' is from people who spend too much time on football manager other than people who actually no what goes on in the day to day running of a Football club and all the things that come with it. The average mental age on here is around 10, every time we lose a game it's 'sack him were s***' 'f*** off holloway you useless c***' 'we are going down' when we win it's 'definitely play off material' 'only 1or2 players from being a good side'. So tbh mate I don't think anyone important reads this s***, and can you blame them? Some of us actually do get what happens and what goes on and when you read some of the s*** spouted on here it's embarrassing!

• December 8, 2014 at 19:01

@82wall: like me you've probably still got the hump.but fans &you should know after watching the crap on sat.& only winning 1 in 15 will give extreme views..it is only human nature..
        by the way who won the fight saturdsy night..lol

• December 8, 2014 at 21:44

@Jim28:
          Yea I understand it 100% and believe me I'm as vocal as the rest if I feel a manager needs to go, I just feel abit of realism has left the club! Along with ALOT of other things. Personally I'll judge holloway after he has managed to get rid of the players he don't want here, and manages to get in players that he DOES want here. No doubt the blokes a fruit cake. But I think in time he could be good for us! Yes Still fuming after Saturday and I missed the last half hour ! And lol at that last bit about the fight, tensions were very high at that time in hindsight was abit over board, but I'm abit of a stress head, and watching Millwall doesn't help much!

• December 8, 2014 at 14:03

The sound of wind and a bell tolling in the distance as a tumble weed rolls by .............................

• December 8, 2014 at 14:03

i for one was more than happy for IH to be our manager but ffs what is he doing!!!!!

• December 8, 2014 at 14:07

I think ollie you should get on the blower to jb tell your sorry for all the f@@k ups ask him for some money for a good striker and new centre half.

• December 8, 2014 at 14:18

@foxy: that dont look like a face thats not worried what the fans were shouting..i know a few of those fans.& you should be worried.

• December 8, 2014 at 14:17

The excuses are getting a bit thin on the ground now he needs to realise that dunney is not the answer at centre half and stop keep changing the side every week with different formations it's becoming a joke if he don't sort it soon he won't have a crowd to play in front of

• December 8, 2014 at 14:24

@Millwall59: webster was the main culprit ..must of been his worse defensive showing for mfc...2 days they worked on the formation.olly your a joke..never been a fan of 3 at the back..cos its easy to expose..long ball over the top & all three are in trouble

• December 8, 2014 at 16:18

@Jim28: If you watch the highlights it's obvious that none of the players have a clue who they are supposed to be marking or closing down. You could argue Webster should have done better for the first goal but it was a fantastic finish. For the fourth one, Webster makes a good tackle in the box but Dunne is nowhere near his player and the ball rolls to the Boro player who scores. Very harsh to single out Webster IMHO

• December 8, 2014 at 14:20

Friday night is a massive game now and the most important thing is not to lose.

I've made my mind up on Holloway, but we're due a decent performance from the players to show they've got what it takes.

• December 8, 2014 at 14:29

I think we will see a major change in holloway and team selection and formation from Friday night, onwards and upwards and I think he can still be the man to do it as his CV speaks for itself after 850 games, show us then OLLIE

• December 8, 2014 at 19:58

@jcmfc1967: we keep seeing major changes from holloway.

That's half the problem!

Here's to a settled eleven and no tinkering - although, having said that, there has to be this week!

• December 8, 2014 at 14:30

What is amazing me is that we are still outside the relegation places by 2 points.
    I was happy when Holloway got the job and I would still like to see him here next season and hopefully that's in the Championship.
    He needs to go back to basics as most others have been saying for a long time now and then start again next season with 23 of the current squad gone. ( Keeping Malone hopefully ).

• December 8, 2014 at 14:35

'd like to know who all these fans would like to be our manager if IH isnt the man for the job?? We had a few hammerings under KJ Birmingham and Watford to name just 2!

Personally I think he is most definitely the guy to take us on but Saturday's perfomance wasn't acceptable - we definitely need 4 at the back! I keep seeing everyone going on about us needing a striker (which I agree with) but surely the priority needs to be the back line.... Lets get the defending right then sort out the attacking options!

I fancy us for Friday night! COYL!!

• December 8, 2014 at 14:52

@TheBermondseyBomber: The priority is a settled back four without Dunne in it. Webster looks poor because he has to play with Dunne in an unfamiliar formation. Dunne was also all over the place, but he is useless whatever the formation is.

• December 8, 2014 at 15:21

@junkmale: dunny is like any other player they want games..dunny dont pick the team.tactics.or formation...only one bloke does that and that is the carrot cruncher..so the blame is ollys..and webster was poor cos he played utter s*** no other reason

• December 8, 2014 at 16:11

@Jim28: I'm not saying Dunne is to blame for being not good enough to play as a centre half in the Championship. He clearly tries hard. The point is he shouldn't be picked to play there. As you say, Holloway picks the team.
          Webster had a nightmare because he was dropped into the side after very few opportunities and asked to play in an unfamiliar formation. I have seen him play much better and, based on those performances, unlike Dunne he is clearly capable of playing at this level as a centre half.

• December 9, 2014 at 10:41

@junkmale: Dunne has been s*** for years so that shouldn't be a surprise for anyone. Get him out, Wilkinson RB, and have a settled two in the middle.

• December 8, 2014 at 15:02

Can we take the option to shoot him please.

• December 8, 2014 at 16:04

Are you still here!

• December 8, 2014 at 16:23

I think it'll be time to pass round the ammunition if we lose on Friday and IH has picked anything other than 4-4-2 or 4-3-3

• December 8, 2014 at 17:11

Mr Holloway may have been a good manager once - but that was then and this is now. He never was the man for this job and will fail, the best hope is that he realises this before relegation becomes a certainty.

• December 8, 2014 at 18:52

No Millwall fan likes whats happening any manager would get more out of the players Holloway is a rubbish manager ...1 win in 15 games that's what he has brought to us...GET RID

• December 8, 2014 at 21:19

Yes,Ian,whatever you say Ian.You're the manager,the numero uno...ho hum..I've been in the pub all evening and I'm a bit pis*ed...in the morning i'll wake up sober ..and you'll still be spouting shyte .

• December 9, 2014 at 08:51

I left the ground 2 minutes before the final whistle cold and very disillusioned after seeing the most inept defensive performance ever in my near 50 years of watching the Lions but I've calmed down now and feel that we're getting what we deserve when we have a manager who is clearly unable to focus on what's required and we don't need him to lecture us on what 'wall is all about to us fans as, clearly, his teams lack that very vital and important ingredient - HEART.
    We'll never have the most gifted side in any division but teams have never matched our players for bravery, determination, character and heart in any battle over 90 minutes. Mr Holloway, you should go now while there are still enough points to gain this season cos whatever your C.V. says, you are clueless tactically and it looks to me that most of your players want to get off your merry-go-round formations. If you do want to stay and get it right, put it right, then stop all this rotation nonsense cos our players aren't good enough, and play your best 11 in a formation, doesn't have to be 4-4-2, and stick with it cos our players & fans will respond with the right guidance and leadership cos that's the MILLWALL way.

• December 9, 2014 at 11:37

Just go, lets get a serious manager.

• December 9, 2014 at 12:35

5-1 at home is a humiliation and should not be dismissed as another bad day at the office.

The Den was always a fearful place but now teams will see this result and know they can take points.

Holloway its disgraceful.