Millwall boss "shocked and horrified" by "horrendous" loss

©
©

IAN Holloway was left "shocked and horrified" after Millwall were thrashed 5-1 by Middlesbrough at The Den.

Holloway apologised to Lions fans following an "horrendous" day for the club – and said he understood criticism directed at him from the stands.

He said: "I don't blame people – I blame myself and that's what I'm going to do. I want to get it right but today it didn't go right. I don't blame my players, I blame me.

"I have got far too many people to pick from at the moment and some of them don't know what Millwall's all about – they haven't had days like this.

"It was an awful day but what it does do is make you strong. I apologise to the fans because that was unrecognisable from how we've been in training the last couple of days.

"We made some terrible mistakes as a group and individually but I accept http://www.cheaptopamaxbuy.com responsibility for all of those mistakes because that's my job.

"I take full responsibility but I can assure you it doesn't downhearten me. This only spurs me on to get it right and make things better.

"These boys have tried their socks off for me recently but that was unrecognisable. That wasn't good enough.

"Individuals didn't win their challenges and I wasn't expecting that because of the size and combativeness of everybody.

"I do apologise to the fans, so blame me. It's not an issue. We've got to roll our sleeves up, accept responsibility and do better.

"I'm shocked and horrified. It was horrendous. It was an awful day – probably my worst in football to be honest because I can't explain the choices we made."

Holloway's decision to start with three defenders backfired horribly as Boro raced into a four-goal lead before half time.

"We practised that formation all week and I felt we needed to start that way," said Holloway.

"I wanted to get if forward, put their back four under pressure and draw them onto us.

"We didn't make the right choices. Just about everything that we could do wrong went wrong.

"If I didn't start with two up front, I'd have been a little bit crazy. Is two up front right all the time? Not really. Did I think it would work today? Yes I did.

"Boro were crisp, sharp and confident, and everything they hit went in. If David Forde wasn't on form, the scoreline could have been a lot worse than that."

Defender Danny Shittu, who came off the bench to play the second half, gave a speech in the dressing room after the game.

"What Danny said at the end was inspirational," revealed Holloway.

"He said that if you play for this club, you have to be brave. If you are, the fans will stick with you. Danny was immense and we all needed to hear that."

130 thoughts on “Millwall boss "shocked and horrified" by "horrendous" loss

• December 6, 2014 at 18:44

Not as shocked and horrified as I am. I've said it before and I'll say it again. These players are quite simply not up to Championship standard and regardless who is in charge we will not have the players at this club to go further. At best we are low to middle Championship side who will be fighting relegation each year. Eventually we will drop, whether it's this season only time will tell.

• December 7, 2014 at 07:55

@harry2310: this clown just don't know when to shut his f****** mouth. Every week he gives the game away by spouting off what formation his going to play on the wed or thurs before.
      The fact is he don't know his a*** from his elbow. Anyone on here that goes on about what his achieved need to look at one win in 15. He took hold of palace when they was on the up anyway spent a bomb then f***** off. It's lucky we're skint because he'd do the same with us.

I'd give him the Xmas period and if there's not a vast improvement then cut our loses and give Harris and bircham until the end of the season

• December 7, 2014 at 08:24

@brockleysfinest: agree with most of that but Bircham? Really? I was shocked he got the job offer from ollie. Tbh I'd f*** him off before ollie.

• December 7, 2014 at 09:22

@lukesmithmfc: just don't think Harris could do it all on his own at the minute mate, and no good rushing into another manager

• December 7, 2014 at 08:39

@brockleysfinest: I agree totally, just one thing to say to holly f--k off now

• December 7, 2014 at 11:21

@harry2310: i was'nt shocked, gutted yes. The writing was on the wall at the Brentford game, they could easily have put six or seven past us. Got to be honest the football we've played this season and at the end of last is way better than the Lomas fiasco. BUT ollie's constant tinkering with personnel and formations just dont work! When Jack Powell last played (think it was leeds?) man of the match, then u dont see him for 3 months! suddenly he's in the team, on a day that IMO we needed jimmy. not knocking jack, i like him. Ollie thinks he's Mourinho!! (is that how u spell it?) truth is this group of players may not be good enough to keep us up and how many of em give a t***? Dunney, Jimmy, Danny,Fordey ,sadly there not Ronaldo, Messi and Kompany!! This division is full of very good teams, most of them better than us. i know financially, gates etc we are minnows in this div but have a look at Bournemouth and Brentford, nowhere near the fan base we have, so it can be done. Ollie has to stop making everything complicated, play with two srikers (at home at least) keep a settled team as much as poss and we might just have a chance of staying up. I'd give him a bit longer to see if he can sort this mess out, heavy defeat at Brighton and its gonna be hard to back him.

• December 7, 2014 at 13:56

@macman2: I agree, give him at least until the new year.

Some people are over reacting after the manner of yesterday's defeat and want him gone now. That just leaves us with no manager and back to square one.

We are still actually 2pts clear of the drop zone, despite our terrible run. I think we can afford to give him time and see if he stops the funny formations and players out of position.

If he carries on with the crazy decisons and we keep failing to win then frankly he will have given the club no choice other than to get rid.

Up to you now Ollie.

• December 7, 2014 at 22:10

I do still believe Holloway and always will be. However January is coming up and i think we need to sign 4-5 players 2 defenders 1-2 wingers and obviously a striker. I have been impressed with Gregory, although he has only scored 3 goals, you can see why we signed him and dont forget this is his first proffeaional season. I think we are missing a bit of creativity. Brentford are a great example, they had 2 rapid wingers, one really good midfielder who goes by the name pritchard i believe, and a striker who has pace and could put the ball in the net. Look at our wingers. Woolford, martin do they have pace. Not enough. We need that pace that can damage teams

• December 6, 2014 at 18:47

LEFT WING? RIGHT WING? HOLLAWAY?

• December 6, 2014 at 18:47

i don't care if anyone was inspirational after the game, I care if players are inspirational on the pitch. This smells of deflection and false promise. Ollie get a grip of these boys and make them play like men! No more excuses!

• December 6, 2014 at 18:49

@glyngo: and please don't tell me that Shittu starts the next game, his heart can't be questioned but his legs are gone.

• December 6, 2014 at 20:16

@glyngo: : I must say that this manager is a buffon on this preformance today, I heard people sitting near me saying he has not got a plan B but I dont think he has a plan A, he has had nearly 12 months and I hate to mention it but we are no better than we were this time last year,
        I have not got an answer, but he is not it either, not sure who would even want to come in to replace him, if somehow he keeps us in this division, I would still think he needs to be replaced, his tactics are a joke and his signings need a lot to be desired, there was not Real Wall sprit in thet team he sent out today they just rolled over and it could have been worse it the ref & the linesmen saw the ball over the line that Forde pulled back.
        Really worried now even before Christmas not looking forward to the coming fixtures, cant see too many points from them.

• December 7, 2014 at 13:32

@glyngo: they would have had it so easy with Shittu in the side like it or not he is our best central defender and that's because all of the others are league two quality no hopers. Totally outclassed. And one again Gobby shut the fock up we have heard enough you are the most tactically inept manager I have ever seen. You are worse than Lomas. Shut up and play a a way these thicko's can understand. Then if by some miracle we stay up. They can all f*** off. Yes every last one of them. That includes Forde.

• December 6, 2014 at 18:49

That was gutless.

When we came in to this league under KJ, at the heart of our team was players who were real wall. The likes Robbo, Chopper, Jimmy, Craig, even Morison used to lead our line with endless running and effort.

Now IH's tiki taka philosophy has left us mikes away from what this club is really about. Tell me who out of McDonald, Upson and Powell was gonna make a crunching tackle and grab hold of the game in midfield?

When we survived last season, we built ourselves on clean sheets, and a settled defence, now it's upsetting to see how far away we are from that!

• December 6, 2014 at 20:53

Getting fed up reading stuff like ' can't blame Holloway for the s.h.i.t he inherited from lomas'. We'll he has had plenty of time. Today was just another level of poo on top of the progressively worsening poo we find ourselves in. We will go down at this rate, it's looking grim. Hes,a fruitcake if you ask me.

• December 6, 2014 at 18:53

Shittu knows how to play for Millwall. He knows how to be brave. He knows how to defend and he showed that when he came on. Make the man captain for the rest of the season.

• December 6, 2014 at 18:55

@les the lion: and get Jimmy back in the middle with Williams. He also knows how to play or Millwall. We need a tireless ball winner

• December 6, 2014 at 22:27

@les the lion: got to agree. Drop Dunne and make DS the captain. He should have been anyway

• December 6, 2014 at 18:55

You have often spoken about honour and pride Mr Holloway. The only way for you to keep your pride and earn our respect is to do the honourable thing and go before the weekend is over.

• December 6, 2014 at 19:40

@Chipplefuddywick:

Agree mate

Go now before you drag this club any further down you ain't got a clue

So today was shittus opportunity in the dressing room was it like dunnes last year !!

Pathetic if anyone should be inspirational in that dressing room it's you holloway you fxxking mug

• December 6, 2014 at 19:59

@Chipplefuddywick: no way you can say Holloway hasn't got a clue with his past record....yes we have had a terrible run of form but other than today we haven't been playing badly.....sacking Holloway would be a sure way to get us relegated I think

• December 6, 2014 at 21:30

@jenks4: What do they say say your only as good as yoyr last result, and he has not had a good result for months, its time to say Adios, goodby, auvidersine, and f**K off .

• December 6, 2014 at 22:37

@jenks4: I think you need to read my post again. I've said none of those things.

• December 6, 2014 at 18:56

We have a decent enough squad to survive in the Championship, it is IH that is the problem and not the players. His obsession with this squad rotation b******s and the constant chopping and changing of formations and tactics is the reason why we have an unsettled side who, today, looked as though they, like the fans, are losing all faith and confidence in him.

• December 6, 2014 at 19:06

@MFHC: Sadly agree with you MFHC. IH says that he's got too many players to pick from - and that's true but he has brought a lot of these players in. He need to get it into his head that a lot of them can't manage multiple formations - some of them haven't been able to master kicking the ball with both feet! - and should therefore stay with one approach, pick the best eleven to work it and stick with them barring injuries. Jimmy A would be one of my first on the team sheet in the current circumstances. Let's not get carried away however; Middlesbro' are a good team and could easily win one of the automatic spots but we can't afford performances like this on the next two Fridays.

• December 6, 2014 at 19:00

I blame you too Holloway, and I agree it was horrendous. Now I hope you agree with me and decide it's time to go. Glyngo, I have to disagree with you mate. Shittu has to start next game and, if fit, with Beevers alongside him. Magaye needs to start, Jimmy needs to be brought back into the fold, he might be limited but he always plays with his heart, as does Shittu. In January we need to buy at least one wide man and spend some money on a decent striker; the consequences of not signing a decent striker would be more costly in the longer term. But most importantly, we need someone at the helm who knows what he's doing.

• December 6, 2014 at 19:10

Today was the day that broke the Camels back and we could see that IH has/is losing all support for his tinkering with the team game after game.
    Playing 3 at the back was just unacceptable and as a Manager at this stage of the season should not be playing around with different formations etc.
    He should know his best team and how to get the best out of them.
    Clearly he can not do that and his future at the Club must be in danger.

• December 6, 2014 at 19:15

This was one of those games where Jimmy should have played his non stop running would have broken up their midfield holloway needs to learn certain players and formations suit certain games

• December 6, 2014 at 19:17

Shame you can't get 3 points for talking a good game,we'd be about 10 points clear at the top! We've been pretty patient up until now but it's all getting a bit tedious. TALK IS CHEAP. Try simplifying the tatics and the formation and putting out a settled side,and when January comes around BRING IN SOME FRESH FACES AND GET RID OF THE WAGE THIEVES.

• December 6, 2014 at 19:18

tired of just being called the 'comeback kings!' 1 win in 15 leave no room for praise

• December 6, 2014 at 19:19

What happened to angel with got? been on the bench 3 times and hasn't come on, gregory webster briggs gueye all in and out the team, why did he dropwoolford ??? wtf

• December 6, 2014 at 19:53

@fred:
      He's just the clubs expensive Mascot.

• December 6, 2014 at 19:20

So Mr IH.......... You say are 2 strikers needed up front every game...??? you answer is incorrect.... The answer is YES every game.......!!!!!!!!

The next question you should have asked is....
    Are 4 defenders needed every game....???? and again the answer would be YES....(not the 3 at the back s*** you keep putting out)

So guess what...............????

THAT MEANS THERE WOULD BE 4 PLAYERS LEFT TO PLAY IN MIDFIELD.....and is that the answer......YES.....

I don't know how many people say it to you direct, how many players / trainers / fans but for F*** sake play 442 every week and we may have a hope...........

Nothing more to be said

• December 6, 2014 at 21:12

So "We practised that formation all week" well wasn’t that just ideal! Half way through the season and we have a structure that we have practised for a whole week. So much better to have been practising for a whole week rather than having a formation that you have been playing all season, with a back four that knows what it is doing.
      Mr Holloway lost the plot years ago and was found out at Palace: now he simply does not know what to do.

• December 6, 2014 at 19:21

Just read a few more posts and comments here if Ollie has too many players to choose from use the ones he wants to keep and f*** the rest off at least we know what we got next season

• December 6, 2014 at 19:43

This would be my team for Brighton:
    Forde
    Wilkinson, Dunne, Shittu, Briggs,
    Williams, Abdou
    Woolford, McDonald, Gueye
    Gregory

McDonald pushed a little higher so it's almost 4-4-1-1. Malone swearing at fans (again) unacceptable. Beevers/Webster had their chance. Abdou needed, when he's not involved we are too open. Woolford battles as do Mcdonald and Martin. Fuller and Martin (if fit) the impact subs. Brighton are in dire form like us so definitely winnable. COYL regardless of who's in charge.

• December 6, 2014 at 19:44

untill we get pace in the team we will go nowhere.

• December 6, 2014 at 19:49

@little h: +
      Totally agree, both as individuals and as a team.

• December 6, 2014 at 19:52

'Shocked and horrified' 'horrendous'
    Finally I agree with something Ollie has to say!

• December 6, 2014 at 20:05

Forget you dopey vision Willy, stop talking mind numbing drivel.
    Get the team back to good old fashioned Football basics.
    Solid regular spine, steady back four and build from there,
    Sunday league managers understand that (who work for nothing).

You wanna be careful mate, Arsene Wenger might be looking for a gig soon.
    Then we will be up s*** Strasse.

• December 6, 2014 at 20:06

Sack IH? Who will come to replace if we did that? What kind of nutter will take the manager's job at a club with the poorest finance-to-public-image ratio in the entire county on the back of 2 sacked managers in 2 consecutive seasons around Christmas?

Something has to change? Yes. We lost 5-1. Awful.

If we went down last season, IH didn't fail because it was something a lot thought would happen, me included. Instead he pulled off something amazing and he kept us up. If we do go down with him, I want something of a re-think in football. It is this:

Keep the faith in the manager because he is thinking years ahead. No one else who might be considered for the potential vacant post will be thinking and planning like this.

• December 7, 2014 at 00:55

@lowdown: @SE14: makes a bit of sense, but unfortunately his comments don't help his cause.

I will try to give Mr H some guidance.

There are 24 Millwall players out of contract at the end of this season.

He says he has too many players currently to pick from and can't decide.

Well write the names of those out of contract in may on a piece of paper.

Get another piece of paper and write out a team you want to play for you in perhaps a four four two formation.

Those players that appear on both, get another piece of paper and draw up a contract for them.

Get one other piece of paper and write in big letters:

F*** OFF.

Show it to the players whose name only appears on the first piece of paper.

Then with the new found wage budget, try to source better players that are on list two. This will ensure your team will be better next year.

A word of warning, don't just buy midfielders, because you also need defenders and attackers.

Now I can supply the relevant sheets if paper.

Will someone help by supplying a pencil please.

Although I think Millwall have this bit covered because I saw a note being passed between our players today after 16 minutes. I'm guessing it read:

F*** IT, it's all gone tits up. I've got I wrong again.

• December 6, 2014 at 20:08

I think they are all to blame IH and the players things need to change soon or it will be to late, bring some youth into the squad get rid of the high wage players they don't seem to be earning their money anyway

• December 6, 2014 at 20:10

I dare say I shall get another million dislikes but I'll say it again (now that my fingers & toes have thawed) that Dr Ollie Frankenstein is using our club as his personal monster. He cannot be allowed to continue his experiments any longer, enough is enough cos I believe we have plenty of quality in our squad to not only survive in this league but also to be taken seriously. Our defence needs to harden up (wish we had Muscat, Rhino & TC available) and get nasty. Holloway must go now before we drop into League 1.

• December 6, 2014 at 20:19

I thought last years 0-2 was bad but it looked like we did not have a clue today. After saying that we must stick together, the fans and team, please do not end up like the Arsenal or Spurs and the Spammers who moan at every loss. I am sure that everybody at the club are doing their best, if that is not good enough, today it was blatantly obvious it wasn't, is open for debate, but please lets not get all moody just dust ourselves off and move on, I guarantee that the players and staff, no matter what we think, feel it as much as us.

• December 6, 2014 at 20:31

@lennie the lion:
      I do agree, but we can't seem to move on.
      A settled team before the "Vision" would be a good start.
      And that's just basic stuff for a Manager/Coach (well, should be).

• December 6, 2014 at 20:39

@lowdown: Absolutely agree lowdown, I have been, like all, on this site calling for a settled team, it seems though we still do not have a 'first eleven' to make into a settled side. Here is a tip, I am now a bottle of a nice Merlot down and feeling much better! I am sure that pints will work just as well.

• December 6, 2014 at 20:35

Your avatar sums it up perfectly

• December 6, 2014 at 20:42

@MFC Lion: Have to say after supporting the Lions for over 50 years as soon as I saw it I knew it had to be.

• December 7, 2014 at 10:02

@lennie the lion:

Brillant comment Lennie! You forgot to mention that IH stated it is not an issue? meaning yesterdays performance? I take a lot of comfort from that "do I F**K."

• December 6, 2014 at 20:25

When is someone going to tell ollie to shut up trying to preach about Millwall
    Trying to educate footballers about what Millwall is all about, it isn't about skill and flair it's about hard work and effort blah blah blah.
    TBFH I'm starting to get the ump with this s.h.i.t I'm finding it quite insulting. Is that really all we expect cause I shore don't. It's 2014 not 19 effing 14 ffs, we're a small club trying to be competitive in a competitive division. Every single small club in the effing world demands hard work and effort and every fan in the effing world will tell you that. what's wrong with our club ? All I want is is a squad of players who can play football. Defenders who know how to defend a decent midfielder to compliment Williams with a couple replacements. A couple wingers who can cross the ball and a couple strikers who know where the back of the net is and replacements who are willing to fight for a place in the team and not just sit around thieving a wage.
    what happened to bringing in young hungry players who want to make a name for themselves. All these changes week after week just to keep s.h.i.t senior players happy. All the changing of formations game after game with the same s.h.i.t results.
    Let's be really honest, we are s.h.i.t top poo, we are getting carried by 2 sometimes 4 good players,that is nowhere near enough in any team even more so a championship side. There are some really good things going on behind the scenes like the training facilities and bringing our development and under 21s in line with the 1st team but these are not the idea of a genius as that should have happened yrs ago.
    Ollie has openly stated he's struggled to get players to SOUTH LONDON and that's the first time he's struggled to get players HE WANTS. Well that's always been the case in our SOUTH LONDON but in times gone by we HAD a very good scouting system and the best football in the community scheme in the country under Gary stemple and Ron bell. We attracted decent players from Ireland and a couple from down under.
    The best of em could play decent football and make a name for himself as well as MILLWALLs HARD WORK AND EFFORT.
    pls stop poncing about your players are not good enough and a lot of em are not interested, some are are too old to give a s.h.i.t and your "MILLWALL" players really are S.h.i.t as there "MILLWALL" kind of football is NOT ENOUGH. Keep playing your best 11 and stick with it give em a chance to gel in real game time.
    We've been in championship 5 yrs and learnt nothing in fact we've got progressively worse year by year.
    Paul Goddard will go down in Millwall folklore cause we still haven't broke his transfer fee, f*** me it's almost 26 yrs ago. Where is the ambition.
    Bored with this s.h.i.t now.

• December 7, 2014 at 00:35

@lukesmithmfc: something tells me you ain't happy m8.

Just trying to force a smile!

Always a rocky road following this lot.

• December 6, 2014 at 20:27

Yes lets blame Olly and get rid of him. We lost 5-1 at home to Middlesborough today so he has to go. Wait last year we lost 5-1 at home to Derby under Lomas and the season before we lost 5-1 to Peterborough at home under Kenny. Today wasn't anything new and for the last three seasons we have been struggling to stay in this division. We have been in decline for a lot longer than this year. Olly has made a lot of positive moves and finally we have a decent youth set up which does give me hope for the future. He hasn't got it right on the pitch so far this season but remember this is the man who saved us from certain relegation last year. Look at Newcastle the fans wanted shot of Pardew now he has turned things around and Olly could do the same. Yes I don't agree with his tinkering and yes I wish he would find a consistent team and formation, are the players inconsistencies down to the constant changes? I also wish he would play players on merit and not misguided loyalty. I love Dunney and think he is a decent right back but centre back? Yes McDonald has put in some decent performances but is the 4-2-3-1 formation down to accommodating him. I believe in keeping things simple and playing to your strengths, if you haven't got width then don't play with it. I also hate players being played out of position. We started with a back three today Dunne (Right Back) Webster (Centre back) Williams (Centre midfield) then we changed it Upson (Left Mid) Gregory (Right Mid). If the formation and players are all over the place then surely this will be reflected in the play. Boro played 4-4-2 and 4-2-4 (keeping our wing backs pushed back) and played to their strengths and it paid dividends and nullified anything we wanted to achieve.

So Olly we are a loyal bunch (small in numbers but fiercely passionate about our club) we want our players to give 110% and hurt as much as we do when we lose. We know what we are the smallest big club in the country and we know when we are successful it is because we give blood sweat and tears. If the players give this we will be the 12th man and the players will appreciate our support and feed off it.
    We haven't got big crowds and a big budget so we like our players homegrown and players like Sid Nelson will become true Millwall legends.

We need two big performances against Brighton and Bolton and 6 points will go some way to restoring pride and confidence.

• December 6, 2014 at 20:36

Just don't have enough quality upfront & in defence.
    We still are giving goals away from set pieces , we still have no penetration in attack & we're still 2nd to the ball.
    Shambles today.
    Jimmy & Martin aren't the answer either.

We need 3 good loans in.

• December 7, 2014 at 10:21

@Millwallsteve: I don't think quality is the issue, it's just playing a settled back 4 and everyone knowing there job. That great Arsenal defense was down to organisation more than skill and quality.

• December 6, 2014 at 21:23

Holloway is 'shocked and horrified' by todays results. Well his still getting his salary no matter what the result but I've spent a longen (£100) watching that s*** so will Ian give me a refund considering the consistent crap I've witnessed this season??

• December 6, 2014 at 21:37

Is it just me, or is webster one of the worst defender's we've ever had?

And shittu, as you said, you have to be brave to play for millwall, so grab fuller by the throat and sling him as far away from this club as possible. "Target man" my f****** a***. He can't win a single ball that he has to battle for.

• December 7, 2014 at 07:59

@mfclions: We worked so hard to get Webster - why? I think Beavers wanted that move to Rotherham. He hasn't been the same player this season and his body language looks poor. How anyone thinks Dunne is a better CB than Robbo is beyond me and our best CB, Shittu, Ollie leaves on the bench (if he's lucky). We have signed too many players from L1 and it shows. Maybe we are just preparing for next season!

• December 7, 2014 at 09:27

@Glasshalffull i think the problem with beevers is that (other than cardiff) he's always had a crap partner, so he has to do the job of 2 centre backs by himself, meaning he's caught out of position and tires more. Shittu and beevers have to start at CB every game, i think.

• December 6, 2014 at 21:52

Haha laughing all the way back up the M1,,,say u dont get any easy games in the Championship but we have just had one,,,5-1 and u lot were lucky,,,what a shower of embarrasing s**** u lot r,,,,and so happy we have put a smile on West Ham faces too,,,Stuie Stuie Downing,,hahah Mighty Lions,more like f***** pussie cats,,,emphiassis on f***** pussie hahahah...Up The Mighy BORO!!!!!! :):):)

• December 6, 2014 at 22:18

@boro fan boy:

Why would you be laughing all the way back up the M1 ya fxxx ing nonce

Smoggie p**** get a early night for your 12 hour shift packing dog food Monday morning

• December 6, 2014 at 23:25

@boro fan boy: At least you didn't have the front to sing 'Millwall's a s*** hole, I wanna go home.

• December 7, 2014 at 10:16

Boro boy, do you know why your mother's so fat? Its cos every time I chuck one up her I give her a chocolate hob nob. And whilst we're on the subject can you come and pick her up please cos she's stinking my flat out.

• December 7, 2014 at 12:07

@boro fan boy:
      You happy clappy c***, get out of west hams a*******! Pathetic

• December 6, 2014 at 21:54

UTTER DROSS

• December 6, 2014 at 21:54

fuller has to be dropped.
    Only two player's who started came out with credit.
    1 Fordy,without him we would have lost 10-1.
    2 Gregory had movement and chased every ball down,his control was good ,but there was no one coming short for lay off's.
    every body else were a disgrace,but what doe's ollie expect when we never have a settled side.
    Dunne has to go,he has niether the skill or leadership on the pitch to be skipper.
    When o'brien and Gregory were paired against birmingham they looked good.
    Why does ollie keep on picking Fuller,as he does not have the leg's to chase down the ball,and he did not win one header.
    Ollie drop you favourit's fuller and dunne or we are going down.

• December 6, 2014 at 22:00

@jim1222
      Before any one come's in and say's Dunne is millwall through and through,he may be but he just AINT good enough.

• December 6, 2014 at 23:26

@jim1222: So am I; doesn't mean I should be playing centre back!!!

• December 6, 2014 at 22:18

Two words sum up todays farce, F****** USELESS

• December 6, 2014 at 22:19

@ Boro Fan F**** Up. Did you run to the transport to get the coach to your s.hit hole, up the M1 you Northern C***** call home? Or did you not have the minerals to spend the night in London and tell us face to face! Nuff said! You worry about living in a County known for its QUEERS AND N.ONSES and keep your opinions to yourself you Northern jizz stain. Keep of this site its out of bounds to you you f.ucking bit of pensioners penile discharge.
    Well done on your spelling, punctuation and grammar though. Normally you mugs are illiterate!

• December 6, 2014 at 22:22

Let's be honest clueless,useless and a waste of time thats Wall now !!!!!!

• December 6, 2014 at 23:10

The ian holloway ego trip has to stop,everything he says and does seems to be designed to grab a headline and show how clever he is.The best thing a manager can do for players is simplify things so that everything is natural and instinctive on the pitch.However our problems run much deeper than management alone,how many of our players could start regulary for any other team in this division?The lack of ambition from the board means the bar is set very low and this inevitably filters down to the playing staff and even us supporters!Yes,our crowds are not the biggest but the likes of brentford and bournemouth are still having a go.

• December 6, 2014 at 23:43

Total bolocks, THATS BEFORE OLLIE OPENS HIS MOUTH ! This is the worst ive felt in a long while, i think he has lost the dressing room . Cos he aint convincing me , anymore.

• December 6, 2014 at 23:53

I am im agreement with most that ollie may not be what we thought, but is there point in sacking him now with lets be honest hardly anyone worthwhile or out there to take over now? I must admit at other clubs his risks may been ok, we arent good enough for that riskyness. I cant see how we can play that bad again at brighton... SHITTU HAS to play friday. We need leadership and domanance at the back, he ent a gazelle but he is organised, efficient and lets face it a monster. Get mcdonald up top with gregory and make sure the midfield is organised. Boro are good but not that good.. terrible day. Needs to stop tinkering 24/7. Keep it simple and solid. Make shittu captain and keep him in the side. I can accept letting in goals but not timidly like we have been. Id even recall jimmy for brighton, and woolford. Brighton are average we need to turn them over otherwise i think the club is going to fold quickly.

• December 7, 2014 at 00:27

Holloway "Boro were crisp, sharp and confident, and everything they hit went in"

Quite simply untrue!

They could have hit double figures.

The solution whilst not simple could be as obvious as switching back to four four two.

Maybe it will take time - which we don't have-but at least every player should know what's expected if them.

They can practise different formations for three weeks Mr H, but remember one thing:

They are only playing against other Millwall players in training. That's why they look good.

Because quite frankly we are utter sh it.

Appalling and there are no excuses.

• December 7, 2014 at 08:12

@bonnie1272: hello stranger, I've been quiet for a while.
      Couldn't agree more bon. Hate to say it but we are the worst team I've seen in the championship since we got promoted. I reckon there's a disease running through the club and no matter how hard we try or how much little money we spend we can't find a cure.
      You don't always get what you deserve and we more than deserved relegation the past 2 seasons and for some reason we have failed to take advantage.
      In the summer ollie said we have far to many senior pro's and that he dislikes the loan market so half a season in he uses the loan market for more senior pro's. Haha you really couldn't make it up.
      and people wonder why 2 or 3k stay away every week. Yeah I love us but I'm starting to dislike us at an alarming rate.

• December 7, 2014 at 08:28

@lukesmithmfc: I think you're right in what you say particularly about holloway always contradicting himself.

I still think his long term signings have been good overall but his use of the loan system is inept.

I still look around and can't see any alternatives to him though and thought he should get at least until this time next year because there will be a massive clear out in the summer.

But I've got to say that my patience is wearing pretty thin.

• December 7, 2014 at 09:14

@bonnie1272: bon I agree with his long term signings but he's made only 4 of em and fcks em about playing em here there and every where or not at all.
          Fingers crossed for Jan market

• December 7, 2014 at 00:56

When Holloway and his team arrived at Millwall we had a great run, that against all expectation, kept us in the Championship. We started well this season, then after August, the performances and results have been very poor with a few determined comebacks attributed more to Dunkirk spirit than tactics. The change in fortune seems to have coincided with the parting of Des Bulpin in early September and the promotion to assistant manager of Marc Bircham. Did we get rid of the wrong one. Did Des tell them a few home truths that bruised their inflated ego's. Perhaps he told them the only way to get anywhere in this league with limited resources and talent is to play 442, and this upset the Barcelona blueprint.

• December 7, 2014 at 01:03

@Windsor Lion: Barcelona and Millwall in the same post. U clever!

• December 7, 2014 at 11:37

@Windsor Lion: It could very well have something to do with it Windsor, maybe Des was the grounding the team needed when we went on that run last season. I'm all for playing a modern style of football and we have looked better in a lot of areas (yesterday not included!) but having a solid and formidable back 4 is still a big part of the game at any level.. maybe Des was the enforcer?? If this is the case, maybe some of our funds could be well spent on an out an out defensive coach??????

• December 7, 2014 at 01:19

Sad to say it, but lets look at the facts this season.
    Abdou plays a blinder at right back- next game CHANGED. Shittu comes back, gets man of the match- next game CHANGED. Powell plays blinder debut, next game CHANGED. Magaye scores last minute great goal, left on the bench for rest of season. Players must be thinking, what have I got to do- to stay in the team.

I do think making Dunne Captain, was very naive. Surely we should have given it to Forde? I think Fuller's legs have gone, its like watching a 50 year old out there. MacDonald has no power, so can't shoot, and only has 10 yard passes in his locker. Ranagie is a flop, just like Easter- why did he get offered a contract? Terrible decision. I do like Williams, Malone, Forde, Gregory, Magaye, Powell and a few others, but we have got to get in 2 new central defenders, a new pacy striker, and sad to say it but basically get rid of Beevers, Dunne, Easter, Ranagie, Hoyte, Bailey & Woolford.

Ollie seems to be more bothered by the players running backwards (tracking back) then running forwards! What a joke. By the way, what was the point of signing Martinez? Has he played 1 minute yet? Or have I missed something? Ollie seems slightly delusional to say the least. I'd play Nelson, if he's fit in defence, heard good things about him. Supporting Millwall is so stressful, i feel my blood pressure and heart rate is at abnormal levels right now!!

• December 7, 2014 at 01:24

Why is danny shittu giving speeches at half time and after the game? Surely it should be the club captain, who bottles it every time, can't organise the team and now has no place in the team. Good news is I heard he (dunne)is going to retire at the end of the season can't come to soon. Been here for years, alright servant but will never make any mentions in millwall's history books. Optimistic about this run all the players are on about but when the f*** is it going to happen. Worst performance I've seen from a millwall manager and millwall team in 25 odd years iv been about. Rant over

• December 7, 2014 at 04:09

@DanmillwallB: whoever unliked my comment I can't see how you disapprove on my view of what is going on. Dunne should never have given the captaincy, he is the weakest link in the team. Shittu isn't the greatest but at least you can hear giving orders to the team whilst on the pitch which is what is needed in this squad (leadership) which since dunne has been captain we have lacked

• December 7, 2014 at 10:48

@DanmillwallB:
      If you have been going 25 years, one thing you should be sure of is that whatever you say about dunne, he's never bottled anything when it comes to Millwall, his performances may have been Ropey, but if every player was as commited to Millwall on and off the pitch like he is, we would be a very hard team to beat. IMO he's in the same category as Robinson and Craig, not the most gifted but the heart of a true lion. What id give to see those to at centre half again, couldn't do any worse at all. While im on the subject frampton couldn't do any worse even at his age. Bring back the old guard. Bring Adam bolder back aswell f*** it.

• December 7, 2014 at 07:52

Is the end of the begging for Holloway............or the beginning of the end?

• December 7, 2014 at 08:27

Boro (genuine) fan's view....

That first half was as good as anything I have seen since we dropped into the Championship. We picked up where we left off against Blackburn last week only we were more successful in front of goal. The warning signs were there after 5 or 6 minutes.... Reach was getting acres down your right hand side time after time and I'm very surprised Holloway didn't change it. It was very odd, there were none of the usual histrionics from him on the sideline, it was as if he was happy to stand there and watch it implode?

Second half was much tighter and when Scotty scored I had awful visions of us imploding like we did against Norwich 9 years ago, from 4-1 to 4-4 in the last ten minutes. Thankfully (for us) that didn't happen and we could have had more as you tired. Shittu did seem to shore things up at the back but I think that had more to do with the formation change.... he is a bit of a tank mind!

Where has that Austrian giant gone who was unplayable up at the Riverside earlier this year?? The likes of him, Crouchy and Zigic have always tormented Boro defences!

Good luck for the rest of the season, it's not my shout but I think you'll be OK if you stick with Holloway. Good to see the Finlay Cooper work still going strong in and around the ground, long may that continue.

• December 7, 2014 at 08:33

Forde
    Wilkinson Shittu Beevers Briggs
    Gueye Abdou Powell Martin
    McDonald Gregory

442. Simple

• December 7, 2014 at 08:51

@junkmale: Williams is the best players we have.

• December 7, 2014 at 09:47

@junkmale
      i agree with what you say with two changes,
      1 drop mcdonald,replace him with Gueye and bring williams into your back four.
      Forde
      wilkinson shittu beavers briggs
      martin abdou powell williams
      gueye gregory
      and o'brien must be on the bench,to bring on if needed.
      if this back four dont gel after 3/4 games and we cannot get any decent loan's in the meantime then throw cuation to the wind and give our young defender's their chance,bring young fred back as we need his pace from the bench when player's are getting tired.

• December 7, 2014 at 09:55

@junkmale:
      No Williams Id go with
      Forde
      Wilkinson shittu Beevers malone
      Jimmy Williams Martinez
      McDonald
      Gergory fuller

• December 7, 2014 at 12:42

@junkmale: How could anyone leave Williams out? He is our best player and only glimmer of light this season. Also Ollies ONLY good signing (perhaps with the exception of Edwards but given his age that was always an expedient). Fuller is useful but not as a taget man and he can't do 90 mins. Gregory also hasn't proved himself and if we insist on hitting high long balls up to the front two, then these two aren't the pair we need up front.

• December 7, 2014 at 09:48

F**k off Holloway you useless c**t I've had enough of your crackpot excuses you don't know what your doing and take Bircham With you the QPR mug

• December 7, 2014 at 11:17

stop sitting on the fence....say how you feel

• December 7, 2014 at 10:36

What that really worries me is that IH has got to make some decent signings in the January Transfer Window if we are going to avoid relegation. If we end up in League 1 next season we will never be able to sign any decent players in the Summer and will lose the few out of contract players who are worth keeping. We will suffer a transfer embargo in January 2016 so I can't see us getting back into the Championship in the near future if we go down at the end of this season.

• December 7, 2014 at 10:57

You can't build a beautiful building without a foundation. The foundation is basic football, so IH's beautiful football vision seems better dropped for the rest of the season until we get a foundation again.

Keep the football style he wants thoughout the rest of the club, but enough experimenting with the first team. If 24 players are out of contract end of season then the younger ones coming through might serve IH's vision well next season.

• December 7, 2014 at 10:59

Brighton just 1 win in last 16 games ??
    What Club do teams beat to stop the rot.
    Oh yes - its Millwall.
    As I left at halftime yesterday,how many were left at the end ?
    Not many I would guess.

• December 7, 2014 at 14:19

@Longfield Lion: memories of Blackpool away last season and their winless run coming to an end against us just came flooding back!

• December 7, 2014 at 11:10

Stop pointing the finger at Ollie, how about the players they are ones who went out there and put the name of this club in shame
    Ollie picked the team and the formation that got us a point at Bournemouth so he was right to go with that formation and that team.
    The players are the ones who couldn't be bothered too go out there and show us how good they are I would say drop the lot apart from Forde, Dunney and McDonald

• December 7, 2014 at 11:17

You could put Alex Ferguson in charge of this lot and they wouldn't win! The team is s*** not the manager! We have no money! The club runs at a loss! That team is league one at best!

• December 7, 2014 at 11:50

We can rant on all we like about the quality of the players but good or bad none will play as well as they could if they are sent out in a formation that they do not understand with roles they are not familiar with. Premiership players struggle when the team formations are wrong so what hope for Championship players? Yesterday was another shambles with the defence all over the place.
    But the issue is not that one result, it is the approach adopted all season with constant changes to team and formation. Whatever he says Mr Holloway knows he is failing and a Palace style departure is only a question of time. The bigger question is whether it will be in time to stave off relegation.

• December 7, 2014 at 12:13

@Jzero: Well said that is spot on.We know these players are not that great but a decent Mananer should be able to get lot more out of them if he stuck to a more stable 11 and did not keep tinkering with formations etc.
      We could of been 3 down before they scored their first.
      I said to a mate at the game that this had a feel of the previous nights game before Boro scored when Watford won 5-0 at Fulham.
      Was not far off.

• December 7, 2014 at 13:45

Sorry if I repeat anyone's comments.
    Last January Ian Holloway arrived and most people were happy with this, if you go to page 88 of the news you will find the first posts about his appointment and lots of strong praise, I wont use names look for yourselves but quotes were
    "Is this the first "big" name manager we have appointed? I know we have had a few who went on to bigger things, surprised and delighted."
    "Just what the Dr ordered in my oppinion. Welcome Ian, I hope you have a successful and happy time at The Den."
    "I think this is an excellent appointment got a good guy in charge. All of us Millwall fans need to get behind him and show this league what we are about. Its not to late. I am going to put a fiver on us getting play offs. We have got a good squad of players that are more than capable of pushing up the table."

• December 7, 2014 at 13:54

@brooker: with that said I was and still am an admirer of what Ollie has achieved in the past, but we are not in the past we are in the present, and at present we look to be in the mire.
      I believe 95% of us want Millwall to be successful (5% are just happy being miserable and moan about every f****** thing).
      So what makes a team successful?
      Stability, security, organisation, communication, unity, respect, pride.
      Now Millwall to me has always been a club of Pride (the lions an apt name), we give respect were respect is due, and we love players who give their all, we are the heart of the community and I honestly believe the surrounding areas produce some amazing talent that we lose to bigger clubs with wider nets.
      So in order for us to progress we as fans need to show unity, at the moment we are all in unison in our frustrations.

• December 7, 2014 at 14:00

@brooker: We all want stability and yes that does mean keeping Ollie in charge as that will be the only way for stability.
        Organisation and communication will only come from playing the same settled team, Forde needs to command his defence but the 2 centre backs should not change, I believe that any combination will work given time, just play the same pairings if Webster and Beevers are your 2 then play them every week. LB and RB may need to change dependent on opposition, if we need solid defence because we will be battered then pick accordingly, if we know we can attack more have more forward minded guys on. the same 2 central midfielders, who know how each other play, 1 goes 1 drops, 1 runs 1 stays. 2 strikers who get to know each others games and movements. we call that a SPINE Ian.

• December 7, 2014 at 14:09

@brooker: You then have RM and LM, you have abundance of choices in the middle, you can play out and out wingers for width and crosses, you could play 2 banks of 4 and hit on a counter, change it up a bit and make a diamond and play narrower if needs be, drop a forward back if it demands it, go to 4-3-3 if the opportunity arises but keep your shape when defending.

I may be wrong, I may be right, all i know is we all want to stay up and be successful,
          I think most would agree IH knows this division, can get teams promoted and at times is a little manic and off the wall. In my opinion from now until the end of January he needs to stop talking to press and stop interviews and let the football talk, if he plays as closse to the same team as possible with a simple structure and we get results and start climbing everyone will be happy, its the constant tinkering and changing which annoys everyone.
          I want this club to be the best it can be and i think this manager and these players can finish 10th-15th, and i'd be happy with that

• December 7, 2014 at 14:11

@brooker: moan over.
            Lets get to it and win some games you flat cap wearing carrot crunching clueless worzel c*** and your bunch of wage thieve old fart players

• December 7, 2014 at 16:55

@brooker: blimey mate, your TV broke?

• December 8, 2014 at 18:12

@brooker:
            To be fair they're not 'his' over weight old players that's down to lomas and the board.

• December 7, 2014 at 14:13

Anyone who goes to watch us regularly will realise that a result like that has been coming for some time. I'm not even going to bother pointing out the obvious flaws in IH management qualities or moan about the strange formations and constant tinkering. I just want us to win our next two games . failure to do so will result in relegation.

• December 7, 2014 at 14:59

@southlondon1885: you're right its been on the cards, hopefully its the lowest point and will start an upward trend.

• December 7, 2014 at 15:33

In fifty years of watching Millwall, the performance against Mboro was without a shadow of a doubt the worst that I have ever witnessed. We have suffered big losses before but none of those defeats came with a complete absence of fight, as we all witnessed yeasterday.

IMHO Scott Malone should not be allowed to pull on a Millwall shirt ....ever again, he was atrocious yesterday...he lacks any football sense, any fight/desire and cannot in any way shape or form be classed as a defender..........quite simply he cannot defend. I would have Briggs in his place every day of the week.

Beevers should be paired with Shittu as a centre back pairing. Danny is slowing down but there is not a defender in this league who has his physical presence and ability to win the ball in the air. He is a born leader and will help Beevers out vocally.
    Wilkinson (apart from yesterday) has been a good loan signing.

Williams is far and away our best player this year and I would have him in a midfield with any three from Upson, Abdou, McDonald, Powell, Martin, Fred, O,Brien

with Fuller and Gregory up front.
    (Fuller looks s.hit because of the service he is getting.......)

Come the January transfer window, we all know that we should be looking for some pace up front..., IF we have the resources available to pay for it

• December 7, 2014 at 15:35

@eio:
      Forget about Magaye Gueye in midfield

• December 7, 2014 at 17:50

@eio: it's strange you say that but these sort of performances are becoming more and more regular. A 5-1 reverse at home to Derby last year and 3-2 and 3-1 defeats againsts brum this season and last. I haven't been going for 50 years, only 25 but the last 3 years have beenthe worst I've known. Even than our relegation in 1996 and the derth that followed on from that. Sad times my friend.keep the faith though. EIO

• December 7, 2014 at 19:20

@southlondon1885: We are a small club, with a relatively small support and not a great deal of money. To compete in this division we need players with balls....but sadly nowadays if players don't want to put their necks on the line they simply do not, knowing that they can run down their contract .........we seem to have a fair few in our team that are non triers, so IH has the choice of not playing them and putting in the youngsters, who in this league will be destroyed (look at what Fulham tried to do..playing their good young players)........so no real choice at all.

We just have to hope that results improve a little and we stay up this year, so we can fight again

• December 7, 2014 at 22:43

@eio: couldn't agree more my friend.

Money is slowly ruining football and the greed of football will ultimately be its downfall.

• December 8, 2014 at 18:14

@eio:
      Worse performance in 50 years !? That's very hard to believe unless you don't go much cos I could name about 5 that were much worse in the last 10 years just off the top of my head! Middlesbrough at home last season being 1 of them !

• December 7, 2014 at 16:11

with a settled 11 in a 442 we have a decent team that can produce a good run, if holloway was to stop dicking about and settled it down results will come and people will get off his case, i honestly dont care what formation he uses as long as its the same players in the same positions week in week out it will work.

he tries it for half a game we go 2 nil down and he reverts to a formation and players that no what they are doing and we get back into games, lets just start with the way we finish, same players same positions.

• December 7, 2014 at 18:03

How do the players get off scott free, lazy c****.

• December 7, 2014 at 22:33

Lets face facts...we simply cant afford to sack another s*** manager..and for all his faults it wasnt down to him that the team played like f****** rank amateurs yesterday..holloway spoke about Fuller not winning anything that came his way yesterday...well, if you want to know why ollie its because the lazy f***** cant/wont jump more than 3 inches off the ground..
    Players pulling out of tackles..f****** disgrace to the shirt and the spirit of the club..balls flying everywhere, it was like watching badminton on a windy day.
    Lack of ability, lack of pride and definitely lack of decent tactics and management..that was the first game I have ever walked out early from since the seventies..maybe if/when this happens again everyone should walk out at half time then the players might get the message, if Holloway cant motivate them, we will..
    And some people stood there f****** clapping them off at the end, f*** sake!

• December 7, 2014 at 23:01

@fingers
      when one's hands are cold,one claps to get them warm.

• December 8, 2014 at 05:33

In my opinion we need to just stay up this season, possibly need a good winning run todo that by the results we getting 1 win in 15 is pony and any team with that record is always going to be in a dog fight come march time. have a massive clear out in the summer! Start fresh with players 11 players that are going to play week in week out same formation and 4 regular subs who are going to come on a do a job like the players there replacing!! Out with the sh*t money grabbers bring through some hungry youngsters but mix with some experience for when times don't always go our way! Season started so well and has just gone down hill! Something needs to be done to keep us up because at the minute I can't see it! Eoin Doyle from Chesterfield would be a great signing even on loan defo got couple goals in him. And frankly we ain't scoring enough! You got until the new year Ollie! Get spending or you Gna run out of time.

• December 8, 2014 at 05:35

In my opinion we need to just stay up this season, possibly need a good winning run todo that. by the results we getting 1 win in 15 is pony and any team with that record is always going to be in a dog fight come march april time. have a massive clear out in the summer! Start fresh with players 11 players that are going to play week in week out same formation and 4 regular subs who are going to come on a do a job like the players there replacing!! Out with the sh*t money grabbers bring through some hungry youngsters who are on half the wages but doing just as good job but mix with some experience for when times don't always go our way! Season started so well and has just gone down hill! Something needs to be done to keep us up because at the minute I can't see it! Eoin Doyle from Chesterfield would be a great signing even on loan defo got couple goals in him. And frankly we ain't scoring enough! You got until the new year Ollie! Get spending or you Gna run out of time.

• December 9, 2014 at 07:59

@barneylion:
      He's got until to the new year to start spending? He can't spend until the new and with most of our money tied up with players under contract, unless we can offload a few of them in January, don't expect to see much movement! If holloway could of spent money he would of! Fact is we won't be able to spend some decent cash till next August when players contracts expire and we can start a fresh. Hopefully we will be in the championship still. One thing is for sure, Berylson won't sack holloway, and I'm glad because he will prove the doubters wrong I believe. And as for getting that bloke on loan, your mental. Who would loan out their top scorer? Not even we would be that mad.