There's no limit to what Gueye can achieve at Millwall – Ollie

IAN Holloway is hoping Magaye Gueye will "step to the plate" and become an important player for Millwall in the second half of the season.

Gueye struck the Lions' equaliser against Bournemouth last weekend and Holloway says the attacker is working harder in training each week.

The Frenchman has already shown that he is a lethal finisher in front of goal but Holloway believes his set pieces could also prove a major asset.

"It would be nice to start scoring from free kicks and corners – that's what Magaye gives us," said the Millwall boss.

"His delivery is fantastic so he's got to step to the plate. He's a young man who's had a lot of issues and hopefully he's over all of that."

After Gueye's goal at Dean Court, Holloway urged the ex-Everton man to up his work rate.

"Everyone of my players is an attacker and a defender, so you've got to be able to do both sides of the game," added Holloway.

"His stats are reading better all the time – and the more that happens, the more I'll include him.

"As long as he's consistent, I'll reward him. If my kids want an ice cream, they've got to earn it because I won't just give them one.

"But I did that a little bit with Magaye because I love talent and he's certainly got it. I gave him things a bit too easily but not now.

"Hopefully he'll repay us and you can tell that he's up for it. If he wants to utilise the talent he's got, then I'll be the man to help him do that.

"And I think he's showing us that that's what he wants to do. So let's have more of the same from him but I need to make sure he does every aspect of the game.

"It's the same with Fred Onyedinma – he's got to learn what to do when he hasn’t got the ball, where to run and when to run."

While Gueye clearly has bags of talent, Holloway says his work-rate will determine whether he is a success at the club.

Holloway said: "The lads have got to die trying for me. The lads that do that will be the ones who make it – the ones who are desperate to improve, to keep working and running.

"If Magaye gains that, there's no limit to what he can do.

"Being at Millwall isn't about how skilful you are – they had Teddy Sheringham but the real hero in the same team was Terry Hurlock.

"If Sheringham with all those goals isn't going to be your hero and it's Hurlock, then what does that say about what we value at this club?"

18 thoughts on “There's no limit to what Gueye can achieve at Millwall – Ollie

• December 5, 2014 at 11:09

Well said that man....so right about teddy and Terry

• December 5, 2014 at 11:12

The advertising is getting a bit ridiculous now, i'm pretty sure i don't wanna buy tickets for brentford v blackburn

• December 5, 2014 at 11:41

I said earlier in the week stick him up front with fuller tomorrow, you never know we might not be chasing the game in the second half.

• December 5, 2014 at 11:48

It's not all about work rate, going by what Ollie says then Jimmy Greaves and Gary Lineaker and many other lethal finishers would not have got into our side because they were not the hardest workers on the pitch.

• December 5, 2014 at 11:56

It's out of order for Ollie to single out the difference between two Millwall legends. The difference with that side was there were seven or eight great players that deserved to be playing in the 1st Division.

What does Ollie know - he's been here 11 months and under-achieved so far with poncey tippy-tappy football getting us nowhere. None of this current squad would get into that team and very few show the values we hold dearest at this club.

• December 5, 2014 at 12:57

@Micky Lions: really well said. Hurlock and Teddy were both heroes as was Briley, Rhino etc. Etc. It's also an insult to Hurlock to suggest he was a heroe for work rate alone and not for his often ignored overall quality.

• December 5, 2014 at 23:05

@Micky Lions: Ten dislikes! Just as well I didn't say what I really think in that you have to earn respect at Millwall and Holloway isn't fit to lace to Teddy's boots.

• December 5, 2014 at 11:56

Start him up front with Gregory then take one of them off for Fuller or a midfielder if we're behind

• December 5, 2014 at 12:48

Completely agree with Holloway re: Teddy and Hurlock - Work hard and the fans will appreciate you a whole lot more than those who don't. Look at Trotter and Jimmy Abdou... Trotter was one of our star players throughout his time here, yet everyone got on his back because he was seen as 'lazy' whereas Jimmy isn't the most technically gifted player but will run and run all day long and the fans love him!

Personally I think 'Maggie' does deserve to start tomorrow (providing he's in his proper position), him and Lee Martin (Woolford if he isn't fit) out wide and get crosses into the box for Fuller and Gregory to attack.

3 points to start December anyone?

• December 5, 2014 at 12:59

@spj91: so you don't think Teddy worked hard? Complete nonsense.

• December 5, 2014 at 13:54

@lion.ie: If you see in my username I was born in 91 so I wasn't lucky enough to see Teddy or Hurlock play, I was agreeing that Terry Hurlock is widely seen as a legend by many who saw him play not just on ability but his effort and commitment to the cause.

If you graft hard you are appreciated and if you're lazy or don't try you are shown the door and we all know that's the case at Millwall.

Oh and wasn't Teddy loaned out to Aldershot early in his Millwall career because of his attitude and work rate? He improved clearly but would that have happened to Terry Hurlock?

• December 5, 2014 at 14:07

@spj91: Hurlock had more natural skill than Teddy , who to be fair could look a bit clumsy but came realy good as he got older always a great finisher. If you wanted spectacular goals great passing and 100% commitment then it was Hurlock all day long

• December 5, 2014 at 18:25

@Lincolnshire Lion: you have got to be fkin kidding now, Hurlock was underated for his all 'round game but Sheringham was a different class to anything we had before or since or are likely to have in the future.

• December 5, 2014 at 14:47

@lion.ie: As I said in an earlier post somewhere, Ollie equates hard work with running around a lot which in his words is being an attacker, midfielder and defender, so in his eyes unless you are running around like a headless chicken from one end to the other every couple of minutes you are not working hard enough, no wonder they look lack lustre much of the time. I don't want someone like Fuller scoring og's in our area and wasting his limited energy resources trying to get back to where he should be scoring them at the proper end.

• December 5, 2014 at 14:34

When Maggie joined us I remember being very excited about having an ex premiership player on board but I've got to say so far im very unimpressed by him the goal last week was nothing special most 12 year olds do that regularly over the park on a Sunday , I hope he comes good for us but I cant help but question his attitude . As for the ex players fans love different things about different players but its not rocket science to know all Wall fans ask for is you give 100% every time you wear the shirt Jimmy is a perfect example of that

• December 5, 2014 at 15:31

Pretty rich coming from you olly .who regards hard graft then naturaly gifted players..first you s*** of the fans aftet the leeds game instead of giving credit to the players..now you have the f****** front to have a pop at hurlock who still goes to mfc matches in the seats with the fans..sometimes you really p*** me of

• December 5, 2014 at 16:13

Finally I understand holloway!

He wants eleven athletes on the park.

This is why he puts so much emphasis on work rate, distance stats travelled and the like.

That explains a lot of his team selections.

Personally I think what they do when a ball is at their feet to be the number one priority.

After all, some of the best players were not exactly athletes - Gazza, lineker, shearer, Adams to name but a few.

Having said that they were and still are much fitter than I ever was or am - lol

• December 5, 2014 at 16:45