Loan frustrations could force Millwall into foreign market

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

IAN Holloway says Millwall may do their January shopping overseas.

The Lions tried and failed to sign a number of striker targets at rival Championship clubs before the loan window closed last Thursday.

Holloway also wanted Arsenal's Chuba Akpom, above, but was knocked back.

So Millwall could now change tact and browse Europe for new recruits – as well as the lower reaches of the Football League pyramid.

Last week, the Lions were linked with Chesterfield's Eoin Doyle.

Speaking after Saturday's draw at Bournemouth, Holloway said: "It would have been nice to borrow someone but at the minute nobody wants to lend their players to us.

"They've loaned Championship players to League One – no-one wanted to loan us a player. And could I borrow a young one from the Premier League? No.

"If I can't borrow from the Championship either, I have got to find someone in League One or League Two to step up to the plate, like Lee Gregory has.

"And I cannot wait for the foreign market to open up because we might get some value for money there. Have we got a foreign market we can look into at Millwall?

"So where am I going to get my players from? I will have to go abroad because I can't even borrow a Championship player at the minute.

"I'll take that as a compliment because people have seen how we've played recently."

Holloway believes top-flight clubs are increasingly reluctant to loan their academy stars to the Championship due the growing importance of reserve football.

It has been suggested that there could be a £10million prize offered to the winners of the Premier League's U21 league in future.

"That's their brilliant idea," said Holloway. "If that's the case, we won't ever borrow a player from anybody in the future.

"Why don't they come to my house and ask me what I think because I'm on the coal face. Those young players should be given to us.

"And they shouldn't be loaned to other Premier League clubs.

"The U21 league is just poncing about – there are no crowds, it's nonsense. That won't teach players how to play.

"That's not going to produce more players for the England team. Why don't they come and ask the people who work in the game every week what to do?

"It's total nonsense. If they go ahead with this £10m prize, they're complete nuggets. Make them loan young players to Championship clubs – let's see if these kids can do it with us."

27 thoughts on “Loan frustrations could force Millwall into foreign market

• December 1, 2014 at 09:21

How many players does IH need? I think our recent comebacks have shown that we have decent enough players at the club already and a good fighting spirit, however, what we lack is a manager who'll give his players his backing and promote confidence by playing them week-in & week-out using the same formation home & away accordingly. I believe this breeds confidence in players as well as stability within the club's total football structure.

• December 1, 2014 at 09:39

@Bolland: We are sorely missing 1 and maybe even 2 wingers (Martin injured) and we need a target man up front, not to mention a long term solution to the RB position. I make that 3-4 players required.

• December 1, 2014 at 09:46

@glyngo:

The point I'm trying to make is that even if we had 5 wingers at the club, IH would gives us reasons why he can't play them on the wing. he contradicts himself each week after every game and offers some daft reason why this happened or this didn't happen. I'm totally nonplussed this season where this man is concerned and the direction of the club. I've no idea who or what I'll see next Saturday and this worries me greatly.

• December 1, 2014 at 09:45

@Bolland: I do not understand why people would dislike your comment. It plain to see that you are right and I have written the same many times on this forum. Consistency rules and we do not have adequate resources to have the incredibly irritating squad rotation that some teams adopt.

• December 1, 2014 at 09:51

@Chipplefuddywick:

Thanks for that but sometimes people just don't want to see what's obvious & right in front of their noses. They need to look at the last 10 games of last season to see the stability within the team each week that prioduced the unbeaten run & survival.

• December 1, 2014 at 12:02

@Chipplefuddywick: There are people on here that dislike a certain post because of who wrote it.They dont even read it,just see the name and press dislike. This post will get the same treatment and funny enough its normally around dinner time at school or just after home time. I reckon this post will get a good 30-40 dislikes from the click clique. This site has lost a lot of good Millwall people because of a few attention seeking idiots.NOLMIDC.

• December 1, 2014 at 12:19

@Eightieswall:
          I agree and will doubtless get another fair share of dislikes. Personally I don't care what they think or click, I've suported the Lions since the first kick-off of the 66-67 season and will continue to have my say on all things 'wall cos I feel, like you, that I've earned the right to disagree with a manager who clearly sees himself as football's answer to Dr Frankenstein and using my team/club as his monster.

• December 1, 2014 at 12:17

@Chipplefuddywick: I've been saying the same thing for ages now too. Holloway's answer to any problem is constantly tinker with tactics and formations. Instead of trying to develop a settled and consistent side, he keeps swapping and changing players from game to game. What's more, the majority of his numerous signings haven't been great. For me it's like a case of the Emperors New Clothes with Holloway - we're just been blinded with b*******.

• December 1, 2014 at 12:42

@Micky Lions: The spine of the team has to remain constant, but rotation/changes(As we used to call them!!) in other areas can work if players are carrying injuries etc.. for me the last two games Ollie has settled a spine with Forde/Webster/Beevers/Williams/Upson/Gregory. Long may that continue.

• December 1, 2014 at 17:26

@glyngo: carry on leaving sensible comments bolland, chipple, eighties and glyngo. I appreciate any good debate whether I agree or disagree. On this point I am in agreement. And like you glyngo I see a spine appearing finally, but I can see him changing it on Saturday. Wish I had more confidence in Mr H just leaving it alone. Although in his defence he did state a few weeks ago that after the last international break he would be able to name a more consistent side as we were playing once a week instead of twice. Let's hope he sticks by his words.

But IMO I still think he is taking the club forward and needs adequate time to complete the mission however painful it may be along the way.

• December 1, 2014 at 20:08

@Chipplefuddywick:

Haha, 35 dislikes on my post, never had that many before. I'll give up posting now as I'm clearly in the minority and must be so wrong. I'll post again when IH takes up at the end of the season - lol.

• December 2, 2014 at 13:31

@Micky Lions: 66/67 season same as me. Still the same old lack of ambition Millwall it's always been . We do need a penetrating winger and a spearhead striker there is no doubting that , pace is what's lacking in Holloways big plan for me. When we go two down we up the tempo and hey presto we score. He needs players that move quickly from the off. Some of our players are too static.@Bolland:

• December 2, 2014 at 14:21

@Chipplefuddywick: I think it must be Ollie clicking the dislike button. it's how he picks the team each week 😛

• December 1, 2014 at 09:34

Karl heinz rumminegge is available he's only 52

• December 1, 2014 at 09:43

Two thoughts on this. No one wants to lend us players because somehow our players get injuries in training. What is going on in training that we suffer so many injuries. Secondly buying or loaning from Europe gives IH a ready made excuse that they aren't fit enough for English football, they need to get used to the pace etc etc. Why not use some of our very talented crop of youngsters. The likes of Sadlier, Cahill, Reid had 200 odd games under their belts when they were in their very early 20's. At this rate, Fred and co will start playing for us when they're Fullers age. It seems that's what is preferred down at the Den these days.

• December 1, 2014 at 11:00

Whats all this cobblers about championship clubs not loaning to another...who loaned us carlos edwards last year..bloody ipswich & he was there club captain....

• December 1, 2014 at 12:09

@Jim28: Watford loaned us that useless c*** Renegie, enough said!!!

• December 1, 2014 at 12:45

@Jim28: Both good points, clubs are less likely to loan players that they think will strengthen the other side, but if this is what it takes to get us trawling through the lower leagues then I am happy to see it happen!!! We always got our best players from lower Leagues and I am thinking of Scotland as well. Get some tough hungry lads in who have everything to fight for, not pansies that believe they have a right to wear our first team shirt because they once played in Serie A or whatever.....

• December 1, 2014 at 13:42

Of course no-one in the Championship is going to loan us a decent striker. That's obvious. Watford gave us their crap and that would be standard across the board.
    We just need to be more wise.
    Correct me if I am wrong but Premiership clubs ARE loaning out their players.
    Billy Sharp - Leeds, Tom Ince - Forest, Poyet - Huddersfield, Morrison - Cardiff, Delfouneso - Blackpool, Glen Murray - Reading and Danny Graham - Wolves to name a few. You just have to ask the right questions.

• December 1, 2014 at 14:26

@Steve: i'll liked to see the bloody wage bill

• December 1, 2014 at 17:53

@Jim28: I think it makes sense that someone moving up the leagues will have a better attitude than someone dropping down, youth players maybe the exception.

• December 1, 2014 at 19:49

@Jim28:
        Noted post regarding letting Malone go. Why not Martinez ? we have not missed him but been paying him!

• December 1, 2014 at 17:54

I want to see Afobe back on the books!!

• December 1, 2014 at 18:25

@lionindirtyyorkyland: I'll have him here all day long & agree with dipping into the lower leagues. Don't no about Europe don't think the've got the stomach for the championship

• December 1, 2014 at 19:49

@lionindirtyyorkyland: I think he is tearing up tree with MK Don's, he may not want to leave them.

• December 1, 2014 at 21:23

@glyngo: Only scored a hat-trick Saturday ?
        Wait a minute that would put him joint top scorer in one swoop !!!!!!!!

• December 3, 2014 at 21:57

Just had a look at the leagues around Europe and there is a 24 year old called Viðar Örn Kjartansson plays in Norway 6ft1 and plays for Vålerenga; 29 Apps 25 Goals!! Could do a job for us