Easter turned down loan moves to fight for Millwall future

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

JERMAINE Easter has revealed that he turned down the chance to leave Millwall on loan in order to fight for his future at the club.

Easter was placed on the transfer list by manager Ian Holloway in September but rejected several offers from League One.

And the Welsh striker made his first appearance since September when he came on as a second-half substitute against Charlton.

That came after Holloway had a change of heart.

"The manager told me six or seven weeks ago that he wasn’t going to extend my contract and that I could look for something else," Easter explained.

"That was disappointing to hear because I really enjoy it at Millwall but he's the manager and he makes the decisions.

"He felt that was what he needed to do and I was fine with it. The only thing I could do was get my head down and work hard.

"I found myself training with Neil Harris and the U21s – I trained properly and made sure that, when the development games came around, I did myself justice.

"I was keeping myself in good shape – either to get back into the group here, which I didn't think would happen, or to be fit for when I moved on."

But last week, Holloway told Easter that he wanted to keep him around after all.

During his exile, the former Crystal Palace man played three times for the reserves, scoring two and assisting three of Millwall's six goals in those matches.

"The manager has obviously taken note of that and feels like he wants to bring me back in," said Easter.

"That's great for me because I really enjoy it here and I just want the chance to play if the opportunity arises.

"The lads have been unlucky with some of the recent results and I'm sure if they were winning games, this conversation wouldn't be happening.

"But that's what happens in football – you keep going and things change around, which is hopefully the case for me.

"I turned down Crawley and Bradford and I also spoke to Shaun Derry at Notts County, so there were a few clubs that expressed an interest in me.

"But I've known the manager for a long time and knew that he would be open to changing his mind if I showed the right attitude, and it seems as though that's been the case.

"I didn't want to go to any of those clubs and Millwall is a fantastic club with great fans – my priority has always been doing the job for them."

13 thoughts on “Easter turned down loan moves to fight for Millwall future

• November 28, 2014 at 11:30

Give him a chance along side lee gregory see what happens, Better take it mr easter because I don't think ollie will suffer you to much mate.

• November 28, 2014 at 11:31

Waste of time & money..rather than movin forward(even if its f@@king pigeon steps!!) Our club has gone backwards!! How the f@@k can that happen! Holloway has had enough time now to be delivering better than this

• November 28, 2014 at 11:40

Did you not think Mr Easter that the reason League 1 Clubs are interested in you is because you are League 1 at best ?
    We are struggling because we have strikers like him.

• November 28, 2014 at 11:52

AT least were guaranteed goals ........ next pre season and friendlies !!, Liam feeny in disguise,given enough chances by Jackettt and Ollie but never takes them,weak up front im afraid.

• November 28, 2014 at 12:04

thays our striker problem solved then ffs dont get any better does it

• November 28, 2014 at 12:13

No!!! Like Marquis, it was a ridiculous decision to extend his contract. He will never make it with us a regular championship player and should be allowed/encouraged to go and pick up his wages from a lower league club.

• November 28, 2014 at 12:20

Personally I think given a few games Easter will outscore ALL of our other forwards! Great pro and a good attitude!

• November 28, 2014 at 13:58

@TheBermondseyBomber: the problem in the past he was 20min player..but he's a lot stronger this year.like you he dont get a run of games..
      the new and younger fuller is back(talking about marquis).and there both equally crap..use o'brien & gregory every game

• November 28, 2014 at 14:09

@Jim28: I don't think Gregory or O'brian are strong eough right now - we need to try and change something and I just think Easter has got the fire in his belly at the moment and had a hand in 5 of the 6 goals scored by our development squad - give him 60mins whats the worst that can happen!!

• November 28, 2014 at 14:50

Well do more running with the football, and take a few more Shots at goal! That's a start, cause we don't seem to have many shots at their goal post area. NOLU, WDC ).

• November 28, 2014 at 17:13

The fact only division one teams came in for him says it all sorry but just not good enough at this level we are going backwards I would rather get rid of all the dead wood and their wage bill and start again with youth , not send them off to Wycombe on loan .

• November 28, 2014 at 17:37

It's a strange one with Easter. He's never had a fair crack of the whip. It seems he's far too easy to drop. Maybe it's deserved , maybe not.

• November 29, 2014 at 10:09

Personally think it make sense keeping Easter, until January transfer window minimum. We are light up front and to sell or loan him would leave us even lighter.. IMO Easter is a decent player, yes does the world alight but works hard, gets himself into good positions and when given a chance scores a few.. Major issue is he has never been given a consistent run of games and we've preferred to give lost causes such as Morison, Jackson and Hoff starts instead. TBH Gregory isn't setting the world alight either and Fuller hasn't got the legs for a full game. Give him a chance and if no joy sign Eoin Doyle in January!!