Millwall defender: Last-ditch clearance "like scoring a goal"

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

ALAN Dunne felt like celebrating after his goal-saving clearance earned Millwall a point against Charlton on Saturday.

The Addicks looked certain to win the game when George Tucudean rounded David Forde but Byron Webster knocked the striker off his stride before Dunne put the ball out of play.

"I was going to run off celebrating like we'd scored but there was still a bit of time left," said Dunne afterwards. "For me a clearance like that was like scoring a goal.

"I thought it was offside initially but, watching it back, it wasn't and it would have been tough to take had they scored.

"The way things have been going for us this season, it was a surprise they didn't.

"Webster slipped and then I managed to clear it. It all happened so quickly. David Forde did enough by standing up.

"It would have been harsh to concede at the end.

"Apart from that, I thought we were comfortable defensively – we were solid throughout the game. A draw was a fair result in the end."

A draw extended the Lions' unbeaten run against Charlton to seven matches but Dunne felt the visitors weren't inventive enough in the final third.

"We didn't create enough but we did have chances," he said.

"I thought we were a bit nervous in the first half but the game opened up in the second half and became stretched.

"Both teams were going for it but we need to be better at creating chances. We will take a clean sheet because any point in this league is a good point and we'll move on.

Dunne added: "I heard 'you'll never beat Millwall' being sung a few times at the end and both sets of fans were fantastic.

"They made it a great occasion.

"It was a typical derby game and one that some of the lads haven't played in before. It was a fantastic atmosphere and the fans were great. It was an exciting game."

Dunne, who has predominantly played in the middle of defence under Ian Holloway, has reverted to right back in Millwall's last two games.

Asked which position he favours, the 32-year-old explained: "I've played 300 games as a full back but since the manager put me at centre half, I do prefer to play there.

"We have been unlucky with Carlos Edwards' injury and Andy Wilkinson's suspension so my choice would be to play centre half but I can play anywhere along the back four.

"But if you look at our shape, it actually looks like we're playing with three centre halves and a pushed on full back (Scott Malone)."

13 thoughts on “Millwall defender: Last-ditch clearance "like scoring a goal"

• November 24, 2014 at 09:47

Great game from dunny .has his critic's but saturday he was put under pressure alot more in this game then recent ones..whoch suggests its individual errors...Which something he must work on..well dunny

• November 24, 2014 at 10:08

@Jim28: Jim I agree he did well the clearance, but the amout of times he drifted into the centrein the fiorst half and left his man unmarked and to make it worse Charlton played the ball to the unmarked man.
      I know that we did not conceed a goal but with a better team than Charlton could have put us to the sword with the amount of chances that Dunny aforded him, but at least we got a point from the game, next Saturday is going to be a lot harder.

• November 24, 2014 at 10:42

@Barnlion: Completely disagree, Dunne was our worst player by a mile. The amount of times they targeted the ball over the top and succeeded was incredible. He was the weak link the whole game and I was hoping he was going to get subbed! And it confuses me how he can take claim over the last ditch clearance, it was all webster all dunne did was knock it out. Keep webster and beevers at the back, malone on the left and wilko on the right and we have a good back 4.

• November 24, 2014 at 10:53

@whiteliont: Whiteliont, did you read my post I see that there is a coulple of typo's but I am saying what you have just posted he was out of position and we were lucky that Charlton did not punish us for his wayward defending (as usual), I wonder who Ollie will leave out this week so he can accomadate his Skipper??

• November 24, 2014 at 11:00

@Barnlion: Dunne was a lot more effective in the air compared to previous games, it gave me more confidence that he can slot back into the center of defence if needed. He was caught in the middle of the field on many occasions but that seemed to be a tactical problem, with the team changing to 3 CB's and him being dragged across. A Snr pro needs to identify what is occurring and adapt his position accordingly, Dunne did start to adapt but only after they found their man unmarked about 6-7 times!

• November 24, 2014 at 11:59

@Barnlion: Was trying to reply to Jim28 not you, sorry Barnlion

• November 24, 2014 at 10:00

GOOD POINT, LETS DO THE SAME AT BOURNEMOUTH OR EVEN BETTER! EXPECT OUR USUAL GOOD SUPPORT THERE AGAIN. SEE YOU ALL DOWN SOUTH. NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE. STORNIN' NORMAN.

• November 24, 2014 at 11:14

@bermlion: the lions fans will be there in force.& hopefully get a pt or three

• November 24, 2014 at 11:16

the back four looked ok but ih needs to stick with em. the problem is a attacking play Gregory will never score if he hasn't anybody supporting him, players such as McDonald & woolford were nowhere near him. time to bring fred in & drop one of the other two.

• November 24, 2014 at 14:19

442 Ollie....Gregory needs help.....Dunney needs dropping...nothing personal Alan

• November 24, 2014 at 17:31

More nonsense about Dunne above. He got done once for pace, apart from that a solid game. When you have a supposed left back going awol all game the whole defence gets pulled out of position. If this is Holloway tactics he really is an idiot.

• November 24, 2014 at 20:20

@lion.ie: from what I saw that was the tactic.

Malone was asked to push up to support midfield in attack and dunney was made to make three at the back with Webster and beevers.

That is why there was so much space for charlton to exploit on their left, and every time they did it with their own advancing full back, therefore leaving dunne up against two of them. Dunne IMO did fine but could have been helped by Martin or woolford more, whichever one was playing our right wing - and it's not that I don't know but they kept swapping wings themselves from my recollection.

It's a tactic that could go to pot but in this occasion it didn't.

Lucky us!