Holloway's future vision for Millwall inspired by Willy Wonka!

IAN Holloway has been inspired by a visit to Willy Wonka!

The Lions boss, who recently saw a stage version of Roald Dahl's famous story, says he can can create something special at The Den – just like Wonka did with his chocolate factory.

Holloway is less than halfway through his first full season at Millwall but insists his plans for the club stretch years into the future.

And he believes there are no limits to what he can achieve in south London.

Speaking after Saturday's goalless draw with Charlton, Holloway revealed how he had been enthused by a trip to the West End last week.

He said:  "You can create anything you want and that's what I want to do at Millwall.

"To put it in a nutshell, I went to the theatre on Thursday with my daughter and my wife and we saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

"I couldn't believe what my eyes saw – it was fantastic entertainment and I had a smile on my face from start to finish.

"I know it's only a Roald Dahl story, but that man believed he could make anything – he said you've got to believe it to see it.

"So hopefully by the time I've finished at Millwall, whether we go up or we go down, people will saw 'wow, what a thing he's tried to create there'.

"I'm not going to stop because that's what I want."

Holloway reckons he's found a golden ticket at Millwall after his "brief changed" at former clubs Blackpool and Crystal Palace, who he both got promoted to the Premier League.

"Unfortunately things changed at my previous two clubs," he added. "At Blackpool, we were there and he (the owner) didn't want to stay there.

"At Palace, I did it and we were there but the club wasn't ready and I wasn't ready to carry it on at that time – I even recommended my successor.

"People can form their own opinions of me but my players know what I'm about and I'm really excited about the future."

Putting his metaphor to one side, Holloway explained in footballing terms how he sees the Lions evolving under his management.

"I want to be here a long time and produce my own players – a footballing team," he said. "I think it was pretty clear from Saturday's game that we're trying to play.

"We moved the ball from one side to the other – yeah, we could have created more chances – but I want to make my own team and performances are what I'm all about.

"I want a performance every week. I want my lads to understand that their job is to perform. The way you do that is by having your capabilities plus behaviour.

"I already know that some of my younger lads have the capability and I'm going to work on their behaviour to make them better professionals.

"I'll teach them a way of playing and I'm quite excited by that.

"I have had to test them, throw them in and then take them out because I have got 40-odd players and I won't have that next year.

"My professionals know it and how difficult is it to manage that? But have you seen one of my players not try for me lately? So that's why I'm pleased with the Charlton result.

"I'm going to stick to the way I'm doing things and try to build something here. I want to learn all the time and if I do that, I think the players will follow me."

Holloway was then asked whether he would be able to achieve his goals without the spending power of rival Championship clubs.

"It's not all about budgets – but the world has gone crazy at the top because everything is about greed," he said.

"The game has gone so far away from the people who own it, the people who sit in the stands and get their club's badge tattooed on themselves.

"Now a new owner can come in and change that badge or even the name of the club. They don't understand the tradition of football.

"So budgets help but I've had players who were being paid far too much for the day's work they were doing.

"I didn't like their attitude and they thought they were somebody they weren't.

"I don't need to name names because you can look at them yourselves. And you can see them everywhere in the Premier League.

"Hopefully we'll put the ticket prices down so it's a little bit cheaper and we can all afford to watch it. Saying that, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was extortionate!"

42 thoughts on “Holloway's future vision for Millwall inspired by Willy Wonka!

• November 24, 2014 at 08:29

He is a head case, definitely fuit and nut.

• November 24, 2014 at 11:47

@potty1: I reckon he's a whole nut !!

• November 24, 2014 at 08:36

Sometimes I swear ollys on the roof rack!! Fellas completely deluded

• November 24, 2014 at 08:38

You gotta admire his ambition though....go on Olli make it so.

• November 24, 2014 at 08:45

I think ollie will realise that there are limits to this club, when he tries to win the world cup

• November 24, 2014 at 13:30

@mfclions: yeah, I don't think we'll the world cup.... Champions league will do...!?

• November 24, 2014 at 09:00

The best thing he could do is to play Willie Wonka up front - he certainly couldnt have any less threat than what we have currently

• November 24, 2014 at 13:27

@crow191049:
      Lol.......
      Now, who ever gave you a 'Dislike' for that little gem,
      needs to go and see Willy Wonka and chill out a bit.

• November 24, 2014 at 19:33

@lowdown: that's obviously why we have oompah loompahs up front then.

Next we will be playing on a chocolate pitch with sweet sticks as goalposts.

Perhaps we should have a whip round and get him tickets for the lion king!

• November 24, 2014 at 09:05

5 things I learnt from that interview: (1) He acknowledges the constant squad changes cos he's got 40 players; he clearly doesn't know who his best squad is! A very weak excuse in imho. (2) He wants to build a team of his players. Well, he's not gonna do that buying/loaning 30yr old has-beens! Bring the youngsters in! (3) It is about budgets I'm afraid. It's all about players maximising their earnings, no matter what they say about their 'Wall through and through. (4) The traditions of football have changed - it's all about brand placement. (5) You still need to buy a striker!

• November 24, 2014 at 09:31

I feel sorry for he's family, we might only have him for a couple of years, they have him for the rest of there poor lives, But anyway now that s*** striker gone back to watford I hope ollie got someone up he's sleave to help lee gregory, ffs ollie play two up front.

• November 24, 2014 at 09:34

@foxy: the men in white coats are coming olly..RUN

• November 24, 2014 at 10:28

@Jim28: he's potty jim, but you can't help laughing can ya.

• November 24, 2014 at 09:37

I saw Willie Wonka and it did nothing for me...how the f*** could it do something for him...perhaps he is dreaming again...

• November 24, 2014 at 09:53

If he continues with just ONE upfront,not winning games - He will not be at the Club for any Willy Wonking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• November 24, 2014 at 09:57

'Holloway's future vision for Millwall inspired by Willy Wonka!'...
    I'm starting think Ollies got a drink and drug problem. WTF is he talking about.
    I know one thing and that is Charlton were there for the taking on Saturday. I'm sick of saying it and you'll probably tired of hearing it, but we need some quality up front.
    If we're going to play the whole season with one up front and rotate Fuller and Gregory in that position then we may as well call it a day. We will be relegated, no doubt.
    I'd rather see 'Willie Wonka' aka Ollie play them both as we look half decent when they're both on the pitch.
    As for that Ranegie returning to Watford, it's fu#king laughable. This was the bloke who had loads of 'big money' offers from clubs abroad (apparently), but thought he'd do us a favour by joining us.
    Bloke couldn't score in a brothel!

• November 24, 2014 at 10:31

That's just f***** up

• November 24, 2014 at 11:22

OK, not doubt he has a very strange way of expressing himself and comes across a bit loopy I interviews etc., but at every club Holloway has been at he has improved the players and they all love having him as a manager. And he gets teams with limited budgets promoted. That's all I'm interested in really. We need to be patient. This year is about not going down. At the end of the season we can offload the players we don't need as their contracts expire and Ollie can get his own players in. I'm looking forward to that because his permanent signings have been pretty good (Upson, Williams). Then we push on.

On Ranegie, I don't know what people want. He wasn't very good for us and people on here made that clear, so when we send him back the club gets criticised for it. Of course we have to continue paying his wages - we agreed a contract with Watford. Sending him back is a very good message to send out to the other players in the squad and to any other player we might get on loan in the future.

• November 24, 2014 at 12:48

Willy Wonka! is that rhyming slang? Perhaps Ollie wants to prove it wasn't a fluke by saving us from relegation last season and he wants to wave his magic wand and do it again this season, as I expect come Saturday night we will be in the bottom 3. Why have the teams around us started doing so well? Could it be they changed managers, they don't seem to have gone into the loan market and have not brought in silly has been, waste of time loans. If I was in charge of the purse strings I would say to give the youngsters a chance, if they don't come up to it, then look at loans. So far Wilkinson is the best by far, if only we could find a hard working striker like that. Maybe it's just a Willy Wonker dream.

• November 24, 2014 at 12:56

Maybe he should take some of the players to see dirty rotten scoundrels,its about money grabbing conmen

• November 24, 2014 at 13:20

More like One flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.
    I really want Holloway to stay. He is off his rocker. A good fit I think.
    Just survive this season and let him start re-building this squad.
    We have spent the least amount of money in this whole division so we are still, even in our current position holding our own.
    Keep going Holloway.

• November 24, 2014 at 13:21

Fu@k me as if things were not bad enough - he makes a mockery of Millwall every time he opens his mouth. No one will ever take him seriously with quotes like this...I have officially got off the fence and am now firmly in the 'Holloway is not the man for Millwall' camp.

Don't get me wrong I will continue to be positive at matches but honestly...we need someone who has a plan and does not make people laugh at us all the time...we used to be scary!

I hope he reads this and thinks about what we all say... get a plan and stick with it and stop mugging up for the media it don't help at a club like ours.

• November 24, 2014 at 13:40

If I ever meet Ollie must ask him if his mum knew my dad because I do actually understand what he is saying. We are a unique club, for better or worse, we seem only to get the big crowds on big days, we do not have a regular core support, perhaps we should look at more creative ways of getting the missing back down the Den regularly. He is saying that we cannot rely on a big budget to be successful but it can be done, we just need to look at different ways and he thinks he can do it, he also has the record and CV to say he can. He is also saying that he 'gets' the club and the fans he wants to build a club that people can afford to watch and more important want to watch. I have said before that next year we will start to see the results of what is being put in place now. We are assembling a good set of players, a attractive style of play, we are just missing the final piece of getting the ball in the net. How many other club fans are saying "we just need a striker" probably all with the exception of Chelsea. A lot of the squad will inevitable go at the end of the season it is up to the management team to keep the best, not only in ability but also attitude, the prime example being Dunny, who may not be the most gifted player in the world but I would want him on my side in a battle for sure. We will be OK this year as I have also said before enjoy the ride the up's are made much sweeter because of the downs.

• November 24, 2014 at 15:25

@lennie the lion: Brilliant, one of the better, more positive posts I have seen on here for a long while.

• November 24, 2014 at 13:42

We'll be swapping monk chant to Oompa Loompa soon 🙂

• November 24, 2014 at 14:45

If the goals were placed on the halfway line, lateral football would work and as regards a price reduction , that could take care of itself when we are playing in the third tier next season. Whatever else the nutter does, we must stay in the championship, or we will be f#@ked for another 5 years. Pretty football is not winning matches. I'd rather play ugly and nick results by the odd goal.

• November 24, 2014 at 15:07

Ollie is deluded ..does he think anyone believes the b******* he keeps talking....jokey comments are taking the p*** out of true Millwall fans he must be laughing all the way to the bank....Willy f****** Wonka

• November 24, 2014 at 15:22

I've not commented on what Ollie says in the media to date, as wanted to give it time to see what others think and give him more time in the media spot light... 1 thing I have massively noticed.... people don't understand what he is talking about and take it the WRONG WAY, doesn't mean he is talking boll**** or sh*te or even making our club look stupid!

Ollie wants the best for the club, but he has used the whole story of Willy Wonka because its all about creating something special and magical which is what Willy Wonka is about!!

The people who s*** him off are slagging off the fact he wants to create a fantastic football club, with great young players who care about the club and want to be a part of a great team, all playing good proper football....

• November 24, 2014 at 15:40

if it looks like a conman talks like a conman and smells like a conman then chances are it is a conman....get the facts 9 points in 13 games...Ollie is a conman....he s the biggest wage thief of them all

• November 24, 2014 at 17:04

How about stop talking b******* and start winning some games starting Saturday.

• November 24, 2014 at 18:36

Sounds more like Nightmare before Christmas. This is Halloween . Halloween

• November 24, 2014 at 20:31

@malcolm03: Or he could be going to see, next time in theater land, 'One flew over the cuckoo's nest'. Perhaps we could all go.

• November 24, 2014 at 21:13

Bloody Hans Christian Anderson, is he with the fairies? Whatever next:- gipsy Rose Lee reading his tea bags!
    The only thing gone Wonka is him I hope he gets a few results soon or we are where we have been in the last couple seasons..... In the s*** fighting relegation.

• November 24, 2014 at 23:33

Sounds like De Savaloy should come back, Willie Donaghie as Assistant Manager and Dave Tuttle as Widow Twanky!.

If we are to become a pantomime, let's be serious about the cast.

What a complete lot of boll**ks

• November 24, 2014 at 23:42

Certainly given out loads of golden tickets

• November 25, 2014 at 10:21

If ollie is inspired by willy wonka, wait till he goes to see joseph and his technicoloured dream coat! He'll be signing any dream will do lmfao

• November 26, 2014 at 03:21

I would like him to go watch Barcelona, PSG or any top flight team for inspiration. Then say that in the media, instead of making Millwall a joke by saying our inspiration is from the floorboards of the West End. Until we show results his mickey mouse antics are wearing thin with me.

• November 26, 2014 at 10:38

Willie Wonka, eh? I'm sure we're all thinking Willie Wanka. I can't make-up my mind whether he's genuinely trying a football revolution or is just plain daft for the sake of it. He needs to go and buy his own football team and then he can practice his revolution on them. He's clearly lost the fans now and it can't be too long before the players feel the way most of us do. AA & JB, please get rid of this idiot now before we're back in League 1.

• November 26, 2014 at 13:21

I don't think Holloway is the full golden ticket !!!

• November 26, 2014 at 13:37

I think he still has the two jokers in the pack