Palace and Cardiff keeping tabs on Millwall defender Malone

CRYSTAL Palace and Cardiff City are keeping tabs on Millwall's Scott Malone.

Keith Millen, Palace's assistant manager, compiled a scouting report on Malone when the Lions played Birmingham in September.

And it has now emerged that Bluebirds boss Russell Slade is also an admirer of the 23-year-old.

Malone's deal at The Den expires in the summer and he shares the same agent with Slade.

But Ian Holloway insists Millwall haven't received any enquiries for the defender, who is currently sidelined with a thigh strain.

"If there's speculation about anyone in my squad, it's because they've been playing well enough to deserve it," Holloway told the Southwark News.

"And Scott looks a really, really good player at times.

"Nobody has picked the phone up to me and I’m only concerned with him getting fit and playing well for us. He's focused on exactly the same things."

However, Holloway admits Malone's contractual situation leaves him with a dilemma.

The Lions have announced that they will not discuss new deals with any of their players until the team is higher up the table.

"I've already told Scott that things would have been different had I been here longer and that his contract might now cause us an issue," added Holloway.

"If he is worth any money, do I want him walking out of the club for nothing next June?

"But on the flipside of that, do I actually want to lose him? The answer to both of those questions is ‘no’. I don't want to lose him for nothing but I don't want to lose him full stop.

"I've got a very strange situation on my hands where there are 24 players coming to the end of their deals – I've inherited that.

"As things stand, we haven't decided anything about anybody. I'll decide who gets a contract based on the budget and who I think has done well.

"There will be a lot of speculation because we have a lot of players out-of-contract.

"If anyone wants to discuss contracts, they have to make sure we're much further up the league than we are now before they even consider talking to me about it.

"Anybody who I've signed since January has agreed to an option in their contract which favours the club.

"It means they'll never be out-of-contract because we can always trigger an extension.

"That's exactly how it should be because it makes players work hard for that extra year, every year.

"I don't agree with long-term deals that expire on a fixed date because a player could get a bad injury at any time."

23 thoughts on “Palace and Cardiff keeping tabs on Millwall defender Malone

• November 20, 2014 at 10:25

This is typical of our club at the moment, and I am getting fed up with it. Malone is only one of a handful of players at this club that has come out of the last couple seasons with any credibility, but once again we have let another promising young player, only 23, run their contract down, and risk losing them for nothing.
    I know Ollie was only here for a few months last season but surely he saw which players had potential, which were hard working and which deserved new contracts.
    We need to be more savvy and proactive with our players and their contracts as we lose too many players on frees or next to nothing... Trotter, feeney, Taylor just to mention a few.
    The club complains about having no revenue, when was the last time we sold a player for the money they are worth?

• November 20, 2014 at 10:36

Don't think any of this should be put at Ollie's fault, he came in late last season and was fighting to keep us in this division. You can't give out new contracts if you don't know what division your gonna be in surely , and also LOWREY was playing left back quite a bit then he gave MALONE a go,and Scott hasn't always been that great so it is what it is.

• November 20, 2014 at 11:00

@bordersarebest0170: I understand what you are saying, however when he decided to let Lowry go in the summer surely then he would have known that Malone was his first choice left back, and only had 1 year left on his contract. I am not blaming olive, I am blaming the club, however I am assuming that Ollie has the final say over who gets a new contract. Malone might not be great as you put it, but he is one of our better players when on his game, and we miss not having him in the team.

• November 20, 2014 at 11:14

@bordersarebest0170: IH knew back in July we were going to still be in the championship and he also knew who only had 1 year left on their deals - its all very well giving it the big'un about being higher up the table before offering deals to anyone but we're unlikely to push higher up the league with no players under contract!

• November 20, 2014 at 10:44

I would sign Scott up ASAP. He has bags of potential and has been 1 of very few bright sparks over the last 10 months. We need to keep our best players and get rid of the scrap in the summer! We have a massive squad paying low wages, get rid of 5-10 of these and sign 1 or 2 decent players on higher wages!!

• November 20, 2014 at 10:49

I like the way Olly has gone about with the contract terms of his Jan signings, terms in the clubs favour! Much better and we goner need every player on that when the FFP really kicks in. Personally I have find it quite exciting that so many players are out of contract come in the end of the season because we will finally get that bloody deadwood clear out we have been crying out for, for so long now. I trust in Olly to build an exciting quality team for next seasons ambitions

• November 20, 2014 at 10:49

If we lose our better players like Malone as we are not higher up the table, then we never will get higher up the table. Cough up ambler, just like you did when giving that wage thief hoyte a 2 year deal, marquis a new deal etc!

• November 20, 2014 at 10:56

Understand Ollie's logic, but losing out on Malone would be a huge step backward for the club. Pound-for-pound probably in the most important 3/4 players at our club and if IH ever wants us to challenge at the right end of the table we need to keep hole of talented, young players like this!

• November 20, 2014 at 11:05

It will come down to money, we all know how that story goes. We can't compete....Simple.

• November 20, 2014 at 11:08

We all know Malone is a quality left back at this level - he played some of his best football last season so why he wasn't offered an extension last summer is beyond me! IH/AA should have seen this coming! Now Malone's agent has got us by the b0ll0cks! He'll want massive money now so we'll be priced out of keeping him! This sort of thing leaves me raging with Millwall - as someone already said above we never sell players! JB/AA always moaning about revenues - our most valuable asset is free to walk for nothing in June!! A player we paid a fair whack for in the first place!!

• November 20, 2014 at 12:04

@TheBermondseyBomber: It confuses me how its gone over their heads! It's literally the meaning of common sense of seeing the potential in Malone, but again a little too late. In my opinion if he goes on what he says (Malone) he will stay, but how often have we heard the same rubbish over and over again of 'I love this club, I'm really enjoying myself blah blah blah'. The only way we can ever move forward is holding on to players in situations like this but the past proves that this is not possible. I can't wait to get rid of the dead weight in our squads come summer...

• November 20, 2014 at 12:00

We have and always will be the club everyone mugs and gets a decent player for peanuts.

• November 20, 2014 at 12:36

Sometimes the decisions made by the higher ups is ridiculously incompetent. Last week AA is saying were gonna be missing a transfer window as we're skint if Malone was on a decent contract length we could of cashed in and problem solved. So now were gonna lose 20 odd players and a transfer window to hire new players so panic buys in this end of season window or January coming up. This has nothing to do with ollie all his signings have been secured properly in terms of contract and in all fairness a clearout is needed but we could loose out on the odd few gems like Malone beavers etc for naff all either way a big rebuild will occur within the next 2 seasons and which is why it is even more important we get players like Powell Fred o Brien Sid Nelson and pavey all ready as they are gonna be a massive part of our survival

• November 20, 2014 at 12:58

Lets be honest, how many players do we have that could court interest from other clubs against whom we are competing, Malone/Martin/MacDonald/Forde/Beevers/Webster/Briggs/Williams/Woolford/Gregory. That's about it, I hate to admit it but I think the Stripey Nigel's would sign players like that up so they can demand a signing fee from other buyers. Leaving it this late weakens our position in the negotiation. You have to look to AA and IH for that, and to be honest I like Ollie but he has been here long enough to know that these players need signing for at least another year, at least for those whose contracts are up in 2015.

• November 20, 2014 at 13:30

This contract buissiness is quite simple..you give 3yr deals to the good players..& either sell or release the crap

• November 20, 2014 at 13:41

he will f@%k off like they all do. just give our best players contract extensions ffs. malone,williams, martin, upson, regory. they should be the core of our side so look after them

• November 20, 2014 at 13:59

;`Typical Millwall I hope we keep him he works hard and is one of the 4 or 5 players I would want to keep at our club next season

• November 20, 2014 at 14:32

Some really good points made above.
    It's bad enough that we might lose such a talent but what always makes it worse is that we never get a decent fee for them. ( Morison being the exception.)
    My player of last season. I would be gutted to lose him.
    Sort it out Millwall.

• November 20, 2014 at 16:07

f@%ked off with it

• November 20, 2014 at 16:30

The best scenario is he stays but with a bumper contract because his agent has us by the short and curlies or he walks out the door to palace like so many before him!When you think of the money the likes of hoyte,hulse and derry have taken from this club in recent seasons,the board should hang there head in shame when there isn't the nous to sign up one of the few assets we have.

• November 20, 2014 at 17:07

@norris: you make a good point Mr Norris

• November 20, 2014 at 18:19

maybe we should not renew our season tickets then its a 2 way street

• November 20, 2014 at 19:08

Elijah . I just agree... Barbara `s report is inconceivable... last wednesday I got a great Lotus Elise when I got my check for $7524 this-past/five weeks and-over, ten/k this past-month . with-out a doubt this is the most financialy rewarding Ive ever had . I started this four months/ago and almost immediately made myself minimum $81 per hour. >>>>xd5.net/988f