Preview: Millwall vs. Brentford

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

MILLWALL will check on the fitness of Shaun Williams before Saturday's clash with Brentford.

Boss Ian Holloway reported this morning that Williams, who scored a late equaliser against Blackburn in midweek, had picked up a slight knock during the game.

But he was confident that the midfielder would be passed fit to take his place in the side.

Lee Gregory and Magaye Gueye could return to the starting line up after making substitute appearances on Tuesday, but Andy Wilkinson is suspended.

This will be the first of three games that Wilkinson will be banned for. Alan Dunne looks set to replace him in Millwall's XI.

Scott Malone is out with a minor muscle problem, while Nicky Bailey (calf) and Carlos Edwards (knee) remain sidelined.

Brentford's Jonathan Douglas is suspended.

Moses Odebajo (hip) and Jon Toral (cut) face late fitness tests but Alan McCormack (hip) is a long-term absentee.

31 thoughts on “Preview: Millwall vs. Brentford

• November 7, 2014 at 16:29

This is going to be a tough one. We're not owed any favours because we are wearing combats(in support of our brave servicemen) but lets go out and do it for them and us. Hopefully we will just be playing Brentford tomorrow and not the officials as well COYL

• November 7, 2014 at 16:35

I'd like to see Upson play more of a holding role and Williams pushing on with Mcdonald to create in the final third. Mcd sometimes seems to run out of ideas and play the ball sideways or backwards when the obvious pass is on. Still lets hope the ref ain't bent tomorrow and it's a cracker down at the Den for the troops who will be in attendance. COYL

• November 7, 2014 at 17:32

I would like gregory to start cos if anyone took a knock it was fuller late in the game...GREGORY vs GRAY. So everyone who is the best..NOLU WDC

• November 8, 2014 at 10:20

@Jim28: agreed jim, I would start gregory every game. Also good to see fuller making a difference. Shame dunny is back in the reconning as rb

• November 7, 2014 at 18:14

When has Malone had anything but minor muscles. More meat on a matchstick.

• November 7, 2014 at 18:44

Dunne gonna start at RB, be interesting to see how he goes.

Gregory to start ahead of Fuller, bring Fuller on for last 20-30 mins, hopefully when we aren't chasing the game.

forde
    dunne
    shittu
    beevers
    briggs
    upson
    williams
    mcdonald
    martin
    woolford
    gregory

• November 7, 2014 at 18:56

To be fair on Alan Dunne I Know he has some faults of late but he will be our Lion on the pitch. Also his words about Headly Court Rehabilitation centre for our injured soldiers has made me realise that football is only a game!

Come on Dunne and lead the Lions forwards and onwards.

• November 7, 2014 at 19:46

@Lion: Dunne's become an easy scapegoat, but he gives his all for Millwall wherever he plays. He has made mistakes lately, but so has everyone else. It would make a big difference if we could just settle on a regular back-four rather than so much swapping and changing.

• November 7, 2014 at 19:34

Were gonna struggle if we try and be clever by playing to there tactics. Go and attack, we are at home so let them worry about us and give it to them from the off. Our crowds might be small compared to some but brentford havent faced a Wall crowd for a while. They wont be use to it or like it.

• November 7, 2014 at 20:13

Can anyone say , hand on heart . They are confident about tomorrow game. That says it all.. Coyl

• November 7, 2014 at 23:03

@teddy.T: Well we need to start stringing some wins together soon. Bolton won again tonight and apart from Blackpool, it looks like it could be really close for the other relegation places this season.

• November 8, 2014 at 12:26

@teddy.T: I reckon that as long as they don't get a corner or free kick and no-one has a shot on target from 30+ yards out we'll be ok!

• November 7, 2014 at 20:31

Time after time, I've said , we need a big ugly lump of a striker. When ever we have, we've been successful , I look at nicky Bailey and think , what a Rolls Royce of a player. But when he brakes down it Cost us a fortune 🙁

• November 7, 2014 at 23:53

So Ollie will bring in Dunne at right back make him Captain, he will probably give away a bad foul in a bad area (maybe even get sent off), which they might even score from- I hope not. This means we will probably need to score 2 goals at least to win. Lets be honest. Gregory will probably score, but lets hope Williams or Woolford scores too then. Its probably going to be 2-1 either way in my opinion. (maybe 3-1 break away goal)

I've seen lately 12 people liking comments about Dunne- obviously he's got a lot of friends on here which is fine, everyone's got an opinion I suppose. I personally think he's Conference level to be honest (his heart and loyalty can't be questioned, but we'd still be playing Hurlock, if it just relied on that). I'm going to start writing my own blog, because there's no point me even writing on here. I love this club more then everyone on here I assure you, and I don't care about what anyone else thinks.

I've been to every game this season (except Forest), I watch from the car at the training ground some days too and I even get my mate to get me some vids, which I watch back. (I also run my own company, so any extra time is spent on Millwall) I know this club better than anyone I know. In my opinion, this is our best side when FIT. (for tomorrow I'd prefer Chaplow or Abdou at right back to be honest)

The best side:

1) Forde
    2) Wilkinson 3) Briggs, 5) Webster, 6) Shittu (Captain),
    4) Williams (doesn't need Upson next to him, same player)
    8) Chaplow (runs the show with Williams) 7) Malone (left) 11) Martin (right),
    9) Gueye (Behind) 10) Gregory

12) Powell (for Gueye second half) 13) Fuller (after 70 mins) 14) Nelson 15) MacDonald 16) Martinez (for Chaplow if needed) 17) O'Brien 18) King (switching when unfit squad to, Upson, Fred, Abdou, Woolford and Bailey) That's a great bunch.

Play this starting 11 midfield and attack against Beevers & Dunne in training, & they will be exposed! I'll let everyone know my blog site, when its up and running, I'll try and visit some S.London pubs and get it on video as well as outside the ground, and see what everyone is saying. Why, because I love this club. I love Ollie, Ambler and JB too to be honest. (not forgetting Aldo, nice site here) We need to stop getting so emotional and start getting ruthless. We can still be nice after we are winning 2-0, but lets use what the boxer said, to start toughening up everyone. Look at Burnley last year, a great example. We need to become bullies, not constant victims.

Hit me dislikers with your rhythm stick!

• November 8, 2014 at 01:17

@bonnie1272: Come and meet us, and give us your views on camera please Bonnie. No hiding behind the keyboard, you can be as straight as you want. We'll listen to everyone. How about everyone who comments on here, comes to a pub 2 hours before kick off, I'll have to organise it properly in a few weeks. You up for it Bonnie? You can say it to my face darling

• November 8, 2014 at 05:48

@Alexdangelo: alan dunne has played in the championship for the last 5yrs..which is longer then some in the team..to call him conference.your a f****** disgrace.and a bit of a w*****

• November 8, 2014 at 13:47

@bonnie1272: he already has a blinding hobby by the sounds of it. Millwall.@Jim28:

• November 8, 2014 at 13:46

@bonnie1272: he already has a blinding hobby by the sounds of it. Millwall.

• November 8, 2014 at 07:54

@Alexdangelo:
      I agree with some of what you say, but you seem like a right t***. Team selection pretty much spot on although I'd argue Beevers over shittu most weeks and upson over Chaplow for certain games. Malone given a run on the wing would give us another dimension to our pretty predictable attack, also I think it would help Briggs improve as he has quality but seems abit lazy at times and doesn't read the game as well as he should. Very frustrating player. Gueye needs a run of games and we will see we have a very good player on our hands.

• November 8, 2014 at 10:32

@Alexdangelo:

Like you id prefer Chaplow at Right Back over Dunne but Holloway will keep Dunne in the side.

Chaplow on his day is one of the best players in the championship..

• November 8, 2014 at 12:26

@Alexdangelo: silly to say who you would bring on as subs without even knowing how the game is going. Glad you're not the manager

• November 8, 2014 at 12:37

@Alexdangelo: @Alexdangelo: I think as soon as you typed 'I love millwall MORE than everybody on here' - you were going to get a few dislikes! NO, I LOVE EM MORE!! I beg to differ - I LOVE EM MOOORRREEE!
      Dunne is a hot topic on here - so much so that a few were saying sack the manager after playing him against Watford... I can't say that I'm dead against him playing - or that he should definitely be in the starting 11 - for sure, he's not the best player ever - but I think he does more good than bad overall - gives everything and his passion is a good thing to have on the pitch. A key reason I think he's been a regular in the squad is that we've been depleted in that area of the pitch - Shittu being out for so long - Robbo no longer here - Hoyte - ahem.... now Carlos injured too... most recent - Wilko banned... and who's FIT and ready to step in where he's needed ALAN DUNNE - for that alone he should be respected... All this coupled with that situation at the end of last season when Dunne was brought in - brings us to where we are now. Anyway, over time this will change - if IH was completely sentimental - Robbo would still be here - and next season when there's going to be a lot more movement in transfers and maybe more choice in that position, Dunne might be squeezed out.

As for today - so proud of my club. COYL.

p.s. Abdou not a bad shout for RB, improved as a player and will give his all EVERY time - much like Dunne - jimmy's a proper wall.

• November 8, 2014 at 12:54

@Luke ColdBlow10: On the subject of Robbo, I have a few mates who are Pompey supporters and they reckon Robbo is the best player at the club and a class act.

• November 8, 2014 at 14:43

Lots of probablys in your assessment of the game which is yet to even happen and you also declare yourself to love the club more than everyone else!

I look forward to you starting your blog, like everyone else I probably won't read it.

• November 8, 2014 at 15:13

@Alexdangelo: Going to /watching games doesn't automatically qualify you as an expert on football. We all know plenty like that. Your latest comment about Dunne suggests you are not the expert that you believe you are.

• November 8, 2014 at 02:53

However it happens, just win the game . Celebrate a magnificent day for the club and bank 3 points. Cheers.

• November 8, 2014 at 10:42

Is this a televised game?

• November 8, 2014 at 11:44

@SE14: Don't think so - but football league show SHOULD be all over this one....

• November 8, 2014 at 14:05

Alexdangelo;
    Please enter the following WAFPYR to determine are you human.