Dunne: Millwall have made history with camouflage kit

ALAN Dunne is proud to have been part of Millwall history after helping to launch the club's commemorative World War One kit.

Dunne featured in a video to promote the special camouflage strip that will be worn against Brentford tomorrow.

1,500 shirts were made available for pre-order and sold out within hours – with all proceeds going to an army rehabilitation centre in Surrey.

The YouTube clip, titled We Remember, has racked up 70,000 views from countries across the globe, and Dunne has joked that he may have a career in Hollywood after his playing days.

The Millwall captain has revealed that the project was so secretive that even he did not know about it until the day he arrived for filming at Headley Court in September.

"It's a fantastic thing and I'm delighted that I was asked to go," Dunne told the Southwark News. "But initially I went there, on a Thursday, thinking 'do I really need this with a game on Saturday?'

"I didn't know what I was going into. It was after training, we were travelling to an away game the next day, and nobody explained to me what I had to do. It was all top-secret.

"I went there moaning to myself but when I came out I realised what a great thing I'd just done.

"I met some great blokes there – the soldiers were in good spirits and everyone there was a good, honest person.

"The banter was flying about – one of the soldiers who had lost a leg, his mate had bought him a foot spa as a joke.

"They try to keep each other's spirits up. When we were first given the kit to put on, I thought it was really nice, and everything started to come together.

"But it wasn't until I saw the video and the photographs that I actually thought 'wow'.

"It's fantastic of the club to do something like that and I think it shows how dedicated we are to doing the right things.

"We've created history by bringing out a kit like that."

The kit will be worn for one game only when the Lions host the Bees at The Den, a day before Remembrance Sunday.

Dunne added: "Our soldiers get paid very little to do something very dangerous and risk their lives for this country.

"If we can all celebrate and remember the dead, as well as raise some money, then that is a fantastic cause.

"Headley Court is a brilliant facility – we were given a tour and shown where they make the prosthetic legs, which was very humbling.

"The club deserves all the credit that they've been getting. The chairman, Andy Ambler and the commercial team work extremely hard to put the club in a positive light – the manager as well.

"People are starting to change their perceptions of the club. They realise that we are a club that has a lot of time for people and does a lot for its community.

"That should be seen not just by everyone in this country but right across the world, because our reputation is based on what happened a long time ago."

In the video, Dunne poses with wounded soldiers in an army gym.

In the final shot, the defender holds a five-second stare into the camera lens before the credits roll.

"Since then I've had Hollywood on the phone," Dunne joked.

"The filming took a couple of hours but the people who've watched it have told me that I was a natural.

"I could be a Vinnie Jones after my career has finished, you never know! It took me a few takes to get the stare right but I wish I'd had a shave on the day.

"The video is touching when you watch it – I got a lump in my throat. I'm really proud to have been involved and to be associated with a club like Millwall."

9 thoughts on “Dunne: Millwall have made history with camouflage kit

• November 7, 2014 at 10:25

Ffs Dunney,forget about an acting career in holywood and start acting like a defender instead!

• November 7, 2014 at 10:57

Are there going to be anymore shirts available? I was away so so could not register there must be hundreds if not thousands like me who would want one. Everyone would be a winner Headley court get the money, Macron get the publicity and we get to show what a great caring club we are. If the video has gone world wide I am sure that that there are a lot of non supporters who might want to wear them. it would be the perfect way to react to to this
    No matter what, it would at least raise our profile as a good club to be associated with around the world. I also put forward the proposal at the start of the season that a section of the ground could be put aside for the armed forces both serving and veterans to come and watch matches I would even suggest they were encouraged to wear their teams colours, I certainly think it would go a long way to get rid of the perceived image of the club. Never know it might also mean we could become the default choice of all those who serve in the armed forces no matter where they serve.

• November 7, 2014 at 12:20

@lennie the lion: there's always plenty of room in block 27&28. I heard millwall wanted to get more shirts but macron wouldn't do it.

• November 7, 2014 at 18:12

@block 28: more likely to be our sponsors, I think you'll find they have a deal to be on our shirts.

• November 7, 2014 at 19:46

Next seasons a away kit!!

Macron sell aload more than that pink s***, Headley court get a large donation and publicity and the fans get a shirt to be proud of. Also any club having Millwall turn up in army gear would s*** a brick.
      Come on wall make it happen

• November 7, 2014 at 13:42

What about a e mail campaign to Macron? Might get some more and who knows the press could pick up on it giving us more good press. I am sure wherever the troops are they will be well received. Knowing our supporters not sure if they would ever need to buy there own beers at half time.

• November 7, 2014 at 14:21

WE ARE MILLWALL FROM THE DEN

• November 7, 2014 at 18:20

@malcolm03: Yep, that's what we are ! Will be one of the lucky fans that managed to buy a Shirt! ( NOLU, WDC ).in this match the 'Result' is not important.

• November 7, 2014 at 18:32