Woolford: Millwall "a million miles away" from last season

WINGER Martyn Woolford felt Millwall "held their own" against Watford despite losing 3-1 to the league leaders on Saturday.

Woolford, who opened the scoring in the 12th minute at Vicarage Road, admitted "sloppy goals" cost the Lions but said they would take confidence from their display.

And after a first defeat in five league games, Woolford was quick to point out that Millwall have come a long way since this time last season.

Woolford said: "Performance-wise we're pretty pleased with how we have done. It's just disappointing that the result's gone against us.

"We conceded three sloppy goals really that's obviously cost us but performance-wise we're pretty pleased.

"We've come away from home and held our own against a team top of the league.

"We all feel we're a million miles away from where we were last year confidence-wise.

"Even though we lost we'll still take some positives from the game and keep the confidence high. At the minute we're playing well.

"We're obviously disappointed with the result but we're not far away, it's just a few little tweaks here and there.

"Sometime soon it’s all going to come together and we'll go on a run like we did last year.

"We've had some good results against pretty good teams of late so we just need to keep our heads up and not let a defeat like this get us down.

"Like I say, we are worlds apart from where we were last season."

50 thoughts on “Woolford: Millwall "a million miles away" from last season

• November 3, 2014 at 09:29

Not with Dunn at centre back will we go on a winning run Beevers and shittu on the bench and he plays Dunn the mind boggles come on holly sort it out otherwise the only run we are going on is a downward one .

• November 3, 2014 at 09:30

Playing up front saturday always looked dangerous so it was no wonder he was our scorer..2nd half i dont know if it is me but he seemed to go missing.& i dont mean he was subbed

• November 3, 2014 at 09:31

We're 3 points better off than the same stage last season and we still have a terrible forward line , no more wingers or midfielders ollie just get a goal scorer or 2 .

• November 3, 2014 at 11:33

@southstandview: We're just a point better off than 15 games under Lomas - and he then went on to get seven points from the following four games. I'm not defending Lomas, but I don't share everyone else's confidence in Ollie's either.

• November 3, 2014 at 11:51

@Micky Lions: I think he's a clown mate but he's still managing to fool a lot of people with his bull s***

• November 3, 2014 at 13:47

Micky@Micky Lions: I agree with you that he does not seem to have a plan - man management and confidence building he seems to excel at but strategy and tactics he is not covering himself in glory (a problem he had a Palarse whereby he was niave at best).

I went to Watford and like everyone else in the crowd we did not have a clue who would be playing until the team ran out. Where is the sense in dropping Shittu and Beavers when they both played so well against Cardiff the week before. It beggars belief that having heard Mr Holloway (no longer on friendly terms you will note) say that consistency is key - knowing your first eleven is important and all the other BS it that he continues to tinker unnecessarily. The good faith of the fans and the players will only last so long.

I am not quite in the Holloway out camp but he is starting to do my nut in!

• November 3, 2014 at 10:49

I didn't go to the game on Saturday but a mate of mine who's a Watford fan and was at the game said we played some good football and the game was a lot closer than what the score suggested.

Not sure we are "a million miles away" from last season, but defo playing much better football.
    I think once Ollie stops fu#king about with the team and brings in another striker, we could go on a decent run of games.

• November 3, 2014 at 11:08

@Syd the Lion: when we played crap and lost we all knew why.cos we were crap..now were playing good football and losing..the win is all that matters no one likes losers

• November 3, 2014 at 12:40

I am getting some enjoyment from our performances irrespective of the scores, it's a luxury we can afford this early in the season whilst the other teams are also struggling for consistency

• November 3, 2014 at 12:41

@glyngo: also we are generally playing well even with injuries and our squad being in need of an overhaul.

• November 3, 2014 at 13:49

@glyngo: Yes the football is better but if we go down at the end of the season what will that matter? I am greedy and want both things for my hard earned money - I want to be entertained and win. Not to much to ask is it?

• November 3, 2014 at 14:32

@tallchap18: I can't argue with your point mate, but I do choose to trust that the manager will continue to progress the style of play and the quality of the club whilst keeping us up. Its a leap of faith for sure, but one I am willing to make on the basis of what I have seen so far.

• November 3, 2014 at 12:58

All this blaming dunne is very boring. Last year it was trotter now dunne.

• November 3, 2014 at 13:54

Benzo@benzo: Again I agree. I once had the pleasure of bumping into Dunne at a friends party (don't worry he was not drinking and gorging on crisps or anything) and I asked him if he preferred playing centre half and to his credit he said...I don't care where I play so long as I play and the team does well. So, I have sympathy for him especially as he does what we want all Millwall players to do and that is get on with it, don't keep moaning and try your hardest. He does all three so until Millwall sign someone better (Dunne has seen off loads of pretenders) I think people should lay off him.

• November 3, 2014 at 22:04

@tallchap18: Dunne is not good enough ...Wilkinson Beevers Webster and Shittu should be picked way before him.,...he probably is a good bloke but that's not the point

• November 3, 2014 at 14:05

I love millwall to death but at the moment I would not want to play for them under ollie what do you do to stay in the team you play well get praised then get dropped he either don't know his best team or is trying to please everyone pick the best 11 stick with them unless bad form or injury and get a striker

• November 3, 2014 at 14:30

@bobthelion: Bob, I think this is a case of changing with the times mate, I also feel a bit outdated as I like to see a settled side, but it is a trend in football and has been on the continent for decades. I don't agree with all the chopping and changing, but with the quality of football we are seeing and the increased physical demands in the pressing game that we now play, there are not many players that could play a full season at the pace we play. It truly is a squad game these days.

• November 3, 2014 at 16:37

@glyngo: that is spot on glyngo.

• November 3, 2014 at 22:11

@glyngo: @glyngo: @glyngo: Ollie has lost it ...The fans know as much as him ...he was an average player and he s an average manager he can lick Berylsons a*** and talk the talk ....he s fooled all of us but anyone can see he s average at best

• November 3, 2014 at 14:24

The blokes a fruit loop no doubt. Just wish he would

1 stick with a settled side
    2 Shut the f*** up

• November 3, 2014 at 15:00

HEY, WHATS HAPPENED TO OUR GOOD 'POSTER' ON HERE FROM LAST SEASON? ( LOMAS THE LEGEND) ARE YOU STILL ABOUT? IT WAS A LOT OF FUN -BANTER WHEN YOU POSTED! NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE. STORMIN' NORMAN .

• November 3, 2014 at 15:02

Looks like Holloway's honeymoon period is well and truly over with the fans.

• November 3, 2014 at 15:05

@wall2wall: Honeymoons only meant to last a couple of weeks isn't it. Some of us still think Ollie is a quality manager.....

• November 3, 2014 at 15:44

@glyngo
        I am also one of those fans happy still to have him here and rate him.
        I put that comment up because it looks like most have lost faith already. I am not one of them.
        I personally think he is doing lots of good things at our club and hope he is with us for a very long time.

• November 3, 2014 at 19:05

@wall2wall: I also think he's doing great things, I understand the concern about the results and league position but the underlying trends are that we are moving in the right direction.

• November 3, 2014 at 22:14

@glyngo: Ollie is a Wally

• November 3, 2014 at 22:33

@wall2wall: I also question IH's selections. But remember Lomas tried but was out of his depth. He spent much of the money avaiable to him but apparently didn't buy respect or a team. IH doesn't have the funds but makes do with what he has and sees value in youth whilst giving the team a sense of team. We never attract megabucks sponsorhip, never will thanks to some, so IH's vision of youth able to step up is correct BUT WILL TAKE TIME. WILL TAKE TIME.

Lastly, let's not forget this is the 7th toughest division in Europe and probably harder to stay in that the Old Division 1.

• November 4, 2014 at 09:04

@SE14
        Ditto to all of that.

• November 3, 2014 at 15:26

We lost to top of the league at their ground. It happens to most teams.
    Will probably finish roughly where we are now. After the last two seasons is fine by me.
    This league is quickly out growing us with the sort of money flying around.

Keep the faith People, Ollie and the players may surprise us.

• November 3, 2014 at 15:35

I've lost the faith lads, sorry. All this 'squad' game is fine if you have strength in depth, such as chelsea, bayern or Madrid, but we dont so we are left with the old fashioned way of a settled side, 100% effort in every game and some blood and guts. We haven't got the skill, money or resources to run a modern continental rotation system in my opinion

• November 3, 2014 at 15:36

I've lost the faith lads, sorry. All this 'squad' game is fine if you have strength in depth, such as chelsea, Bayern or Madrid, but we don't so we are left with the old fashioned way of a settled side, 100% effort in every game and some blood and guts. We haven't got the skill, money or resources to run a modern continental rotation system in my opinion

• November 3, 2014 at 15:36

I've lost the faith lads, sorry. All this 'squad' game is fine if you have strength in depth, such as chelsea, Munich or Madrid, but we don't so we are left with the old fashioned way of a settled side, 100% effort in every game and some blood and guts. We haven't got the skill, money or resources to run a modern continental rotation system in my opinion

• November 3, 2014 at 15:39

I've lost the faith lads, sorry. All this 'squad' game is fine if you have strength in depth, such as chelsea, Munich or Madrid, but we don't so we are left with the old fashioned way of a settled side, 100% effort in every game and show guts. We haven't got the skill, money or resources to run a modern continental rotation system in my opinion

• November 3, 2014 at 15:40

• November 3, 2014 at 15:43

I've lost the faith lads, sorry. All this 'squad' game is fine if you have strength in depth,such as chelsea, Munich or Madrid, but we don't so we are left with the old fashioned way of a settled side, 100% effort in every game and show guts. We haven't got the skill, money or resources to run a modern continental rotation system in my opinion

• November 3, 2014 at 15:45

I've lost the faith lads, sorry. All this squad game is fine if you have strength in depth,such as chelsea, Munich or Madrid, but we don't so we are left with the old fashioned way of a settled side, 100% effort in every game and show guts. We haven't got the skill, money or resources to run a modern continental rotation system in my opinion

• November 3, 2014 at 15:47

I've lost the faith lads, sorry. All this squad game is fine if you have strength in depth,such as the big champions league sides, but we don't so we are left with the old fashioned way of a settled side, 100% effort in every game and show guts. We haven't got the skill, money or resources to run a modern continental rotation system in my opinion

• November 3, 2014 at 19:07

@Marshlion: That's the only criticism I would aim at Ollie, he is trying to implement a system that is beyond a few of his squad members, the end goal is fine, but at the moment he has to adapt his philosophy to the resources he has. Having said that, when his first choice 11 are available we don't half play some lovely football.

• November 3, 2014 at 22:19

@glyngo: Philosophy ? get the ball in the box and shoot ....football is simple ..the players are confused with Ollies philosophy nonsence...he s a con man

• November 3, 2014 at 16:14

• November 3, 2014 at 16:16

It's a transition IH doesn't want complacency in the team he wants them to work for their place rotation will stop soon and we will move up the table, I believe IH will be a brilliant manager for us and give us one of our best teams, stop moaning and support our club.

• November 3, 2014 at 16:16

It's a transition IH doesn't want complacency in the team he wants them to work for their place rotation will stop soon and we will move up the table, I believe IH will be a brilliant manager for us and give us one of our best teams.

• November 3, 2014 at 16:50

No one said its going to change over night / weeks / months / seasons , have faith in Ollie , he saved us from the drop last season , we are playing better football now than last season , so stick with it , Ollies the man

• November 3, 2014 at 19:51

@Jingles: why dont you include decades aswell.

• November 3, 2014 at 22:29

If Holloway don't listen to the fans we are going down ....STOP CHANGING THE TEAM AND DROP DUNNE

• November 3, 2014 at 22:29

I will be there tomorrow night, I have been trying so hard to get people to go, Before saturdays result I had 6 of us, down to just 3 now, thats what I've been trying to say for a long time now,good players good results bigger gates, JB over to you.

• November 3, 2014 at 22:57