Wolves boss braced for "cutting" banter on Millwall return

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

KENNY Jackett expects to be on the end of some "cutting" banter when he returns to The Den for the first time as an opposition manager this weekend.

But the ex-Lions boss, who brings his Wolves side to the capital on Saturday, accepts that getting stick from the crowd is a rite of passage in SE16 – for managers in both dugouts.

"The ground is compact and if it gets going and it's going very well, the 10,000 in there can feel like 20,000," Jackett told his club's official site.

"There are a lot of intimidating venues in the Championship and when they're going well and behind their team, they can be very good for the home team.

"The banter from behind the dugouts is very lively and it's quite funny, very cutting, at times can be critical, but overall very good – whether you're the home or the away manager!"

It was Jackett who persuaded Ian Holloway to take the Millwall job in January.

"I have a lot of respect for the manager, Ollie, who is probably one of the most experienced English managers around," Jackett added.

"He's been doing it for a long while and he's been doing it successfully as well.

"The people at Millwall treat you very well and back you very well, and they did me. They're things I said to Ian when he was considering taking the job.

"The perception from the outside is quite a tough one but it's there. The most important thing is internally, day to day and the people at the club treat you very well.

“And, being the manager there with that type of backing is a really good thing."

Jackett stepped down as Lions boss in May 2013 after five-and-a-half-years and says he has no regrets about his decision to resign.

He said: "In terms of leaving, it was the right decision to leave after that time, and leave in the summer when they had all of the summer to regroup and go again.

"Every job has its different sides but I didn't think there it took any extra special toll because it was Millwall or that made it anything different.

"Actually, inside the club, people look after you very well – they look after the players, the staff and the manager.

"I don't know whether it's the public perception or that what people always say about Millwall, but internally it's a really good club to work for.

"And if you're ever looking for 'us against the world', that's it.

"I'm just generally looking forward to the game and I haven't got too many thoughts on the fact that it's my old club."

13 thoughts on “Wolves boss braced for "cutting" banter on Millwall return

• October 15, 2014 at 13:12

i have respect for you Kenny snd i for one will clap you but after the whistle blows you are opposition and considering i am in block 30 and 4 rows back you will defo be able to hear me and the many thousands that will roar the lions on oh and you may want to leave henry in the dressing room mate cos he will get plenty

• October 15, 2014 at 13:18

Looking forward to welcoming back one of the best managers we ever had. Obviously once the game gets started sentiment goes out of the window, however I (Like many on here) would certainly buy Kenny a beer after the game.
    COYL....

• October 15, 2014 at 13:38

@Syd the Lion: Well said Syd - Henry on the other hand............

• October 15, 2014 at 14:32

I hope jackett gets the reception and respect he deserves. Struggling league 1 team to a championship outfit on a tight budget aswell as 3 trips to wembley.
    Agree during the game that goes out the window but don't expect the wallys I hear behind me for their 3 games a season giving him s### like they do every millwall player.

Henry.......well let them shout what they like. If hes not giving the physio something to do of course.

• October 15, 2014 at 15:04

@kdivall1989: nobody gives a s*** what the oppo manager's name is..he along with his team Will get stick. ENOUGH SAID

• October 15, 2014 at 16:44

I am sure he'll get a great reception from the vast majority of supporters who should drown out the few idiots we have.

Note to who ever wrote this piece. It's "RITE OF PASSAGE" not RIGHT. Apologies for being so pedantic.

• October 15, 2014 at 18:05

@Bolland: so it's rite right alright.

• October 15, 2014 at 19:26

let me get this right....If I write 'rite' I am right, but if I write right I am not right....in fact I am wrong

• October 15, 2014 at 19:14

Why do I feel like the only one here who still likes henry?

• October 15, 2014 at 19:45

@MFCLIONS: you are not mate, tons of us like him, we just don't bother coming on here saying it, no point really.

• October 15, 2014 at 23:26

@bordersarebest0170: if there was a article on james henry..got a feeling it will be very fiesty affair.

• October 16, 2014 at 08:51

i think its because he always seemed to think he was too good for millwall and yet he rarely shone for us.