Exclusive: Millwall to seek Tim Cahill talks over loan return

MILLWALL will ask Tim Cahill if he wants to make a sensational return to the club.

The Lions hope to convince the legendary midfielder to come back to The Den if he is made available for loan by the New York Red Bulls later this year.

Cahill is being tipped to make a short-term switch to England after the Major League Soccer season finishes in December.

And Millwall have confirmed they will "put themselves in the frame" to re-sign the 34-year-old, who began his career in SE16 and scored 52 goals in six years at the club.

But Den bosses have warned fans that a deal for Cahill is a long-shot – with Premier League sides QPR and Sunderland already reported to have shown interest in him.

However, it is hoped the Australian's affection for Millwall could see him snub a move to the top flight for one more stint in a Lions shirt.

Chief executive Andy Ambler told the Southwark News: "We'd love to talk to Tim about that.

"If he turned around and said 'thanks but no thanks', we'd have to respect that but we would be mad not to ask the question.

"Every club would want someone of his quality at their club – but never say never. We would love it to happen.

"We would love to talk to Tim and his representatives but we recognise there will be huge interest in him."

In March, The Den hosted an international friendly between Australia and Ecuador in which Cahill bagged a brace to become the Socceroos' all-time leading scorer.

Ambler added: "I saw that night how much Millwall means to Tim. It was clear he has the Millwall bug.

"We realise he is over in America for now and that he will probably be looking to go to the Premier League if he does come back to England on loan.

"But if Tim's reading this, hopefully he will give his mate Neil Harris a call!"

Manager Ian Holloway was eager to temper supporters' expectations when asked about a possible return for Cahill.

The Sydney-born star scored a phenomenal goal against Holland in this summer's World Cup so will not be short of offers.

Holloway said: "I would sign Tim Call all day long but I don't want to lift our fans' hopes only for them to be let down.

"I wouldn't want to put Tim in an awkward position where he would have to turn down Millwall – that wouldn't be fair.

"We all know he loves the club and that he's a fantastic player.

"If I had a chance to speak with Tim, I'd tell him that we'd love to have him back but I would hate to make a legend choose someone else over us.

"It would be similar to the chat I had with Bobby Zamora – I would see if our needs and Tim's needs married up.

"Is it possible? Should we be doing it? That's the kind of conversation it would be.

"Hopefully we can have a chat but in the meantime I want to make some of our young players as famous and legendary as Tim Cahill is."

59 thoughts on “Exclusive: Millwall to seek Tim Cahill talks over loan return

• July 24, 2014 at 08:09

Now that would be nice... Very nice indeed!! I think we could get a couple of decent seasons out of him!!!

Let hope it's not a load of hot air!!

• July 24, 2014 at 08:10

Now thats Real Class...................[ always will be !!!! ]
    hope we get him for a few games..................
    done MILLWALL good....Real - Good.
    [ NOLUWDC ]

• July 24, 2014 at 10:02

@BUSHWACKER14: real class.couldn't have put it better. COM HOME TIM

• July 24, 2014 at 08:14

OMG cahill could this really happen

• July 24, 2014 at 08:15

I will also add Holloway hot nail on the head... Is it possible and should we put him in a situation where he has to turn us down? Could be deemed a bit cheeky but you don't get if you don't ask?

I am still a bit embarrassed that the club asked him to sign some shirts then stick them up for sale for £400...

• July 24, 2014 at 08:16

Could you imagine the reception he'd get if he came back... a real legend... lets not get our hopes up!

• July 24, 2014 at 08:45

Good one Ambler..... made me laugh this morning!! How ridiculous - is it really that quiet around the Den Aldo?!?

• July 24, 2014 at 09:17

@TheBermondseyBomber: I thought that, I think Ambler does an ok job and is far better than we had before... But everyone is getting excited like a bunch of Geordies whenever Sheerer or Keegan is mentioned!!! Normally when Amblers name is mentioned everyone sees red but because Cahill is in there too it's different for some reason....

Can't wait for Leeds and Fulham games forget the talk lets do it this season!!!

• July 24, 2014 at 09:48

@peter2545: @JONO: Don't get me wrong what a coup it would be.... but its never going to happen - typical delusional chat and typical gullible Millwall fans! I did see a tweet from Alex last night saying he'd made it up.....???

• July 24, 2014 at 10:19

@Alex Aldridge: Zamora said no but Cahill's going to come in on loan.... ok then we'll see come xmas time!

But for the here and now do you know if that Ugandan fella's gone now or is he still on trial?

• July 24, 2014 at 09:29

@grant_bazza88: @TheBermondseyBomber: Think of now many thousands it would add to the gate..going back to those like me who saw him play..the wages would be covered by the extra attendances of that I am sure

• July 24, 2014 at 10:27

@TheBermondseyBomber: I think you're taking this a bit too seriously. The story doesn't say that Millwall are going to sign Tim Cahill. It says Millwall are going to ask him if he'd be interested in coming back.

Mutumba was still around on Tuesday but apparently hadn't been hugely impressive.

• July 24, 2014 at 10:59

@Alex Aldridge: Quite the opposite Alex I'm taking it with a large pinch of salt I do however appreciate the response on Mutumba - bit disappointed though he looked pretty handy in those vids you posted - oh well Holloway knows best! Cheers mate

• July 24, 2014 at 08:47

So if Tim does love us that much than there will be no problem snubbing the other clubs to join us

• July 24, 2014 at 08:51

The big question is how much would Tim be prepared to pay to play for us again ?
    🙂

• July 24, 2014 at 09:05

Dare to dream.
    Come on Cahill. You must be a millionaire by now.
    F*** the premiership and come back to where it all started for you.
    Icing on the cake of legend status.

• July 24, 2014 at 14:23

@wall2wall: would love to see it but reckon there's more chance of seeing Timmy Mallet in a lions shirt than Super Timmy Cahill !

• July 24, 2014 at 15:46

@southstandview:
        I heard Timmy Mallet's only coming if we change our strip to yellow poka dot bikini's.
        Seriously though I think this could happen. Would make sense all round and it's only half a season I believe.
        Everybody says he will go to the premiership. Well if that's the case it would have to be Everton if they want him otherwise he will disappoint the scouse lot if he chooses another prem outfit. If he goes outside the prem to a championship club well there is only one choice. I can personally see this happenning. Talk about a buzz back at the Den if it happens. Just thinking about it gives me goosebumps.
        Come on Cahill. Your already a millionaire. It makes so much sense.

• July 24, 2014 at 16:26

@wall2wall: would love it to happen mate , Super Super Tim etc etc !

• July 24, 2014 at 09:07

There's Only one TIM CAHILL!!! COYL!!!

• July 24, 2014 at 09:30

Okay, while I would love to see Tim in a Lions shirt again, this isn't happening until December (if it happens at all) and is distracting people from a real major issue - it's only just over 2 weeks until the season kicks off and we still haven't signed the "big lump" striker that Holloway was talking about.

• July 24, 2014 at 09:35

Millwall trying to keep us happy. Coz their doing nothing in the transfer market.

• July 24, 2014 at 10:28

@block 28: I see this a fishing line thrown out there in the hope that Tim reads it and responds to the club. He's a pro at the end of the day and will play Prem if he can, good luck to him. I would love to see him back though, he was a warrior and still too class even when played as a lone striker!

• July 24, 2014 at 09:43

please please please please!

• July 24, 2014 at 09:59

It would be amazing to see Tim back at the Den, but we are wrong to put him the position where he would have to turn us down. Tim is still a Premier League player, and would want to play in the top league where his talents should be showcased.

• July 24, 2014 at 10:52

season ticket sales are down compared to this time last year,Is this Ambler doing his salesman pitch?

• July 24, 2014 at 10:58

Please let this happens. IF this DOES happen I will stop moaning about the amount of adverts that now dominate this site

• July 24, 2014 at 11:41

@Steve: Steve if you are not a fan of all the adverts on this site now, what you need is ADVERT CLEARANCE IT REMOVES ALL UNWANTED ADVERTS!

• July 24, 2014 at 12:23

If we are in the playoff mix come December I can see this having a legit chance. I doubt Tim would come to take part in another relegation battle. Best get off to a good start!

• July 24, 2014 at 12:24

From all the interviews I have seen with Tim, Millwall was the start and a big part of his successful football career, it also seems to me that he is the sort of bloke that even if we cannot match the wages he could get in the prem’ he would still come to us just to say thanks and for the ‘craic’ especially, if by December, we are top ten knocking at the playoff positions. As most have said the extra on the gate would make up a large part of the cost, and as Bomber and Tim are good mates added to the chance of working with Ollie I really can see it happening. If Tim does read these posts let us leave no questions in his mind that he will be welcomed back as a legend and once again, as he said in one interview, ‘play in front of the most passionate fans’.

• July 24, 2014 at 12:57

How we all love for Tim to come back one off if not the best player I seen in a millwall top

• July 24, 2014 at 12:58

OY GOD
    I HEAR YOU CAN MAKE MIRACLES AND STUFF HAPPEN, WELL MAKE THIS HAPPEN AND YOU WILL HAVE SEVERAL THOUSAND MORE FOLLOWERS, TRUSS ME BRUV.

AMEN

• July 24, 2014 at 14:39

@glyngo: Bays tard

• July 24, 2014 at 21:25

@terry the turk lion: it's ironic as I distinctly remember we had a chant in the eighties that went ' we are evil, we are evil......' You'd think the fiery one would cut us some slack

• July 24, 2014 at 13:30

Wages?

• July 24, 2014 at 13:51

@kempo_123: i dont think wages would be a snag.cos the extra 5000 fans a week should cover them

• July 24, 2014 at 15:34

This would be very very special, Even if it was a short term loan i could see alot of people coming through the turnstiles to see this legend. Makes comercial sense id buy a shirt with Cahill on the back no doubt about it. Also hes a class act and i think it would lift the players we already have.

• July 24, 2014 at 15:59

typical p s b PRE SEASON Bo…cks

• July 24, 2014 at 16:13

Just seen that you tube clip top man

• July 24, 2014 at 16:41

Why the dislike for my prayer ???

• July 24, 2014 at 17:26

@terry the turk lion: 1st millwall fans dont beg.2nd they just like mucking about..pointless having it

• July 25, 2014 at 09:17

@Jim28: who's begging ? and why so many dislikes to this whole story ?
        It's like saying sod off Messi your too good for us and you would disrupt an average team with your brilliance.
        We want the best players possible to play for OUR Millwall so when we have a very slim chance to get one we should do all we can to get him.
        Personally I love this site but I am getting fed up with the doom and gloomers here, come on folks cheer up we are in the best situation with manager and board and positivity that we have been for years and some of you are trying to p*** all over it ffs, save the doom and gloom for if we get relegated in May.

• July 24, 2014 at 17:30

No point other than putting bums on seats. Say we are doing well do we play him and disrupt the team. Plus I bet he don't love us that much cause if he does go on loan it will be the prem he chooses.

• July 24, 2014 at 18:26

@LETEMCOME: and the fact he's easily better than every player we have and would be a great addition for us.

He poses an aerial threat (all round goal threat in fact) so absolutely the right thing for the club to make it clear to Tim that we would love to have him back.

So if you read these messages Tim then come back to where it all began, you know you want to!

• July 24, 2014 at 17:57

Dear Mr Berylson,

In the past you have insisted that to push our club on we require consistently higher gates!
    Well, get this man in for a season and I guarantee you will get what you asked for!

• July 24, 2014 at 18:15

Come on people, don't get me wrong, I would truly love to see Skippy back at the Den but we have to be realistic. He currently earns 3.5 million USD a year at NY Red Bulls which equates to 67.5k USD per week. Its English money thats just under 40k per week. It ain't happening or if it does I'll be very shocked. Its a lovely thought but Millwall affiliation or not, footballers are money men and go where the money is. He won't find that money at The Den!

• July 24, 2014 at 18:17

My mistake, misread the post, its a loan deal we seek! Makes better sense! Maybe then. A big maybe but maybe!

• July 24, 2014 at 18:25

I was talking to an Everton fan , who said timmy has been quoted as saying he does not want to play against millwall or everton ,so we shall see what comes of his return to English football.

• July 24, 2014 at 18:53

That interview nearly brought a tear to my eye! Legend! Never say never lads, he is coming to the end of his career and there are other examples of players returning to their roots... Bellamy is the 1st bloke that springs to mind - he could've played in the prem but chose to try and get Cardiff there instead - although Cardiff DO have money...
    Plus, Tim knows he would be backed 100% if he came back - with a realistic chance of cementing legend status - by helping us to promotion! Am I getting carried away? Maybe, but it's nice to dream...
    Coming back down to earth - depending on his current financial situation - he may be thinking that he needs to make the most out of his last few playing years - in which case, you couldn't blame him for choosing the prem...

• July 24, 2014 at 19:14

Well , he don't need the money. That's a plus point for us.
    He may not be up to Premiership standard. That's a plus point for us.
    He may still have some ties in London. That's a plus point for us.
    I think ultimately , the decision is entirely his.
    It would be a fairy tale move , but would expectation out weigh what he thinks he can offer ?
    I say , come on Tim , give it a go mate !!!!!

• July 24, 2014 at 19:37

It would be nice to see Tim back at Millwall
    Xmas present = bumper crowd for Millwall
    Forget Home and Away on television { I do not watch by the way ...lol )......Tim to score for us Home and Away
    Memories of 2004 FA Cup run
    A Legend

• July 24, 2014 at 21:37

Ian Wright would have come to us towards he end of his career but claims No one contacted him, Teddy ( who I worship but still can't forgive for this lack of judgement) joined West Ham in his final seasons. It's possible but unlikely. I would be amazed and forever grateful to Tim if he came back to us.

• July 24, 2014 at 23:01

I was chatting to all the locals down my boozer about this, and the whole pub joined in! He's already loved, and to come back, and get us up, would be incredible. I can't see any other goal that would inspire him as much, or get even close to that. If in the future he feels he wants to go down the Coaching route, he always has Neil Harris, and others at the club too, who he can work with. Lets look at the facts: he is loved more at Millwall then any other club in the world, he has good friends at the club, we have Holloway, Ambler and JB now (3 of the most honest staff you will ever get) and we are at that stage, where we are forming a very solid squad in terms of working for eachother. Tim- do whatever you want mate, but listen to your heart, and remember there's loads of other clubs in London with money, but no-ones got our soul. Also we got Holloway, best character in football, he'll even do that funny dance, whenever you score! 😉

• July 25, 2014 at 01:23

What a story that would be, to return home to where it all began! He warms the fire in the australian hearts and it's clear the love n respect he has for you all. Go back into the guts of London tc and show that there's still loyalty in the world.