Millwall complete signing of veteran striker Ricardo Fuller

©
©

MILLWALL have completed the signing of former Jamaican international Ricardo Fuller.

The 34-year-old has signed a one-year-deal with the clubcafter turning down the offer of an extension from Blackpool, making him Ian Holloway's fourth summer signing.

The striker told the club's official site: "My agent told me that the manager Ian Holloway liked me – to be fair, I always seem to score against his teams.

"If you can perform against a manager on the other side he will have respect for you.

"I spent last year at Blackpool, they offered to extend the second year but it's well documented what's going on there. And with all due respect I like a club with ambition.

"My agent told me about the move and I said Millwall is a good club and I've heard their American owner is quite ambitious.

"And personally for me I always want to be at a club that is ambitious and that wants to go places.

"When you're in a lower league and you want to get to a higher level you need ambition and Millwall paxil fits the bill."

Fuller returns to London after a year in Lancashire and hopes a move back to the capital will help him achieve his aims for next season.

"It's London, of course," he said.

"And I have family down here.

"I was at Charlton two seasons ago and my initial move from Jamaica was on trial at Charlton, so I know about London.

"My aim is to do the best of my abilities at all times, no matter which club I am at.

"I'm in the Championship and I want to make it to the top league and to do that everybody has to play their part.

"First and foremost my job as a striker is to get goals."

Fuller added: "Everywhere I've gone before I've always done that. No matter what my fitness is I've always scored important goals.

"My game is about trying to make things happen trying to create goals and try to help the team weather it he with work-rate it with goals.

"Getting goals as a striker is important and that's what I intent to do."

99 thoughts on “Millwall complete signing of veteran striker Ricardo Fuller

• July 16, 2014 at 16:01

Welcome to the Lion's Den Ricardo, I hope you will be able to silence your critic with a hat full of goals next season, and hopefully IH will sign Gueye and Briggs next and leave it at that.

• July 16, 2014 at 16:03

Wouldn't have been my first choice, but upon consideration I am very pleased. Big physical striker which is what Holloway wants. I was worried about how many games he would be able to play but he played over 20 games for blackpool last season. Also, as he is only on a one year deal I really think it could be a great bit of business

• July 16, 2014 at 16:09

Well, he's signed for a year, irrespective of what we think so we'll see if that turns out to be a good decision soon enough.
    Now, we need the likes of Smith, Briggs definately and perhaps one or two more.

• July 16, 2014 at 16:10

Have my doubts but now he's here I'll get behind him.

• July 16, 2014 at 16:55

@Adsy77777: I'll have to agree with you there

• July 16, 2014 at 16:13

Can't it just be the 9th of august now.........

COYL!!!!!!

• July 16, 2014 at 16:13

Let's give him a chance and not pre-judge.

Could be an Edwards or could be a Hulse.

Let's get behind him and see ...

• July 16, 2014 at 17:27

@kitch: I'll pre-judge, but keep it to myself. If I'm wrong and he starts scoring goals, then of course I'll deny ever doubting him.

• July 16, 2014 at 17:59

@kitch: he cant be worse then hulse...can he?

• July 16, 2014 at 18:27

think that is probably impossible @Jim28:

• July 16, 2014 at 23:35

@mfc2u: n'guessan's given that a bloody good shot

• July 16, 2014 at 19:46

@kitch: My thoughts entirely. Welcome Recardo

• July 17, 2014 at 01:17

@kitch: definatly not a hulse,not with his past history.

• July 16, 2014 at 16:14

Agree with the comments above. Would rather have him over morison and the hoff. But would of preferred Matt Smith.

Squad is shaping up

• July 16, 2014 at 16:17

martin chivers is looking for a club I hear .

• July 16, 2014 at 16:18

He's a decent player I have no complaints, adds experience to the squad, I know he won't be banging goal in left right and centre but he'll add competetion to squad. Hopefully we can sign smith

Welcome fuller!!! Hopefully you'll prove the doubters wrong

• July 16, 2014 at 16:22

Also agree with Lonsdale, would have preferred Matt Smith & gone for youth, however it is what it is & we need to be behind Fuller , we all say we trust in Ollie including me , so lets trust Ollies magic & not question .

• July 16, 2014 at 16:24

Just been on the Stoke site and without exception all wish Ricardo 'the King' the best with us, and we do not deserve him, they also want us in the cup so they can give him a proper thank you and to show there appreciation once more. Stoke it has seemed to me to be a 'Millwall' type club passionate supporters and a working class feel so if they feel that way about him after he was there for five years must have something about him more than just ability.

• July 16, 2014 at 16:24

Score a hat trick against Leeds 1st game of the season and you'll be a Millwall Legend!

• July 16, 2014 at 16:24

Uninspired by this but considering the alternative (Zamora on a huge wage of 22k a week) defo makes better sense for our budget. He has a bit of pedigree and was a real handful at Stoke however that was a long time ago... Would have preferred we went after a younger prospect but heyho in holloway we trust!!!

Do we have any idea what sort of money he is on?

• July 16, 2014 at 16:29

Welcome to Millwall Mr Fuller,Now show us all what you are capable of and score loads of goals and shut up the critics once and for all.
    I know a lot of us did not want him here but lets give the guy a chance and hopefully he will reward us with some goals or lay some on lee Gregory,Mind you If it was a choice of Fuller or Zamora,it would be fuller for me that's foe sure.

• July 16, 2014 at 16:42

Oh dear. Let's hope my pessimism is not realised for the clubs' sake. Good experience but it will take a lot more than that to break down some of the defences we'll be facing this season & score goals!

• July 16, 2014 at 16:46

Yeah, he's here now so like him or not he's one of ours now. The manager fancies him so let's trust his judgment eh. PULLIS don't tolerate mugs, and be fair fuller was very effective in the premier not that long ago, a real handful and a bully too. Ollie may just get some of that out of him for us,you never know. 34 not the end of the world,we had MOODY, CLARIDGE, and more recently EDWARDS, so let's just stop being negative and wait and see.

• July 16, 2014 at 17:36

@bordersarebest0170: I would rather have a goal scorer than a handful and a bully , I hope he does the business but I think we are going to struggle for goals with our p*** poor forwards

• July 17, 2014 at 01:23

@southstandview: what are you, all you do is moan,if you have ever heard the phrase 5th columnist that is what you come across as.

• July 17, 2014 at 07:25

@jim1222: I'll assume your just a kid starting out watching the lions one day you'll understand

• July 17, 2014 at 10:13

@southstandview: yes a 70 year old kid been going since 1952

• July 16, 2014 at 16:47

Welcome fuller I take you over Zamora any day AND IN OLLY WE TRUST Come on first game can't wait got my ticket

• July 16, 2014 at 18:24

@Millwallpad: you seem to forget that Ollie said yesterday he wanted Zamora and fuller up front together , do we still trust in Ollie ?

• July 16, 2014 at 20:37

@Millwallpad: Didn't realise the tickets were on sale yet. Glad I read your post. Cheers mate.

• July 17, 2014 at 15:50

@Millwallpad: god my apologies no wonder you've lost the plot

• July 16, 2014 at 16:50

"No matter what my fitness is I've always scored important goals". Doesnt fill me with confident about his ability to stay fit and actually play enough games. Time will tell I s'pose.

• July 16, 2014 at 16:52

Ambition!!!!
    Another season of struggle on the way ladies and gents, this journeyman will not score 5 goals all season, we never seem to learn!!
    Get them young, willing to learn, improve and impress!

• July 16, 2014 at 16:58

@dpendet: How come you didn't get the Millwall job ahead of Holloway, you seem to know everything that's wrong, or what they should do. Next time, put yourself up for it.

• July 16, 2014 at 16:58

@dpendet: Get them young, willing to learn, improve and impress..........like Marquis I suppose

• July 16, 2014 at 17:11

@beedoscores: I didn't apply as I haven't got my badges!!!
        We don't have to get Marquis we've already got him!!
        When I say get em young, I mean like Andre Gray who's joined little Brentford.
        Sorry for voicing my opinion but that's what NAD is all about!!!

• July 16, 2014 at 17:08

@dpendet: I think will I trust Holloway over your judgment, Dpendet (unless you are Arsene Wenger in disguise)

• July 16, 2014 at 17:17

@dpendet: over 30 no goals but puts himself about , typical millwall striker , we've been signing lumps like him for years

• July 17, 2014 at 01:31

@dpendet: And what do we do while the young ones are are learning and improving and like marquis and some others dont impress.
      Oh i know we get relegated or do you know the answer to that as well.

• July 17, 2014 at 08:49

@jim1222: marquis is out of his depth at league level and if Gregory don't work out then we are in trouble , but in your strange little world we have a fantastic forward Line

• July 17, 2014 at 10:17

@southstandview: in my strage little world i did not say we had a fantastic forward line, i support what we have and i dont s*** players off before they have kicked a ball,unlike you

• July 16, 2014 at 16:58

Welcome Ricardo. Give us 100%, especially against the trainspotters, and you will fit in fine.

• July 16, 2014 at 17:07

@DEPENDET: don't know why you bother with millwall,you do nothing but s*** em off on here. Why not try one of the big LONDON clubs cos we are clearly nowhere good enough for you.

• July 16, 2014 at 17:18

@bordersarebest0170: am a new cross boy, so stuck with millwall for life!!
      Am also a season ticket holder have been for 15 years, so I put my money where my mouth is! Do you ?

• July 16, 2014 at 17:55

@dpendet: Easter, McDonald and Marquis scored 6 league goals between them last season. If Fuller can match that total himself and create a few assists for others especially Gregory as well then I will be happy with his contribution next season.

• July 16, 2014 at 18:07

@dpendet: Sorry, my last post was meant for you but I sent it to Borders instead.

• July 17, 2014 at 01:37

@dpendet: IM a season ticket holder as well and i have been putting my money where my mouth is since 1952,and guess what i agree with bordersarebest.
        so called fans like you go one step forward and two steps back,my only hope is, that your attitude dont rub off on the team.

• July 16, 2014 at 18:05

@bordersarebest0170: Don't rise mate. You are right when you say NAD is about us fans voicing our opinions. I might or might not agree with you, or others, on this or any other subject but we all have a right to voice our opinions by virtue of the fact we follow Millwall. I, personally, am against the view that only if you are able to go every week are you entitled to have a say. I am fortunate enough through geography, money and working hours to attend all home games and some away. That is not the case for everyone.

• July 17, 2014 at 01:40

@Adsy77777: I know that was meant for dependet,and i agree with you 100%.

• July 16, 2014 at 17:49

@dependet.:make you 100% right..like you been a season ticket holder for years.& have seen some pony strikers ..we seem to get em every year ..& this year is no different..the reason for this is cos we got some gullible fans..you can bet your life all those praising will at some point turn on him

• July 16, 2014 at 18:53

@Jim28: & those that are slating him will back him if he does well ? The guy has signed for 1 year which is good business IMO. That's 1 year our young lads can benefit from

• July 17, 2014 at 01:43

@Jim28: Jim maybe fans will turn on him ,but give the man his chance first.
      Oh and by the way no way am i gullible.

• July 17, 2014 at 14:08

@dpendet: I bet my IQ is higher than yours.do you want to put money on it

• July 17, 2014 at 19:16

@jim1222: I bet it's not, as in a previous post you spelt definitely, definatly!!!!!! So I doubt it mate!!!
            We have one thing in common though, we won't what's best for our club, so COYL!!!!!

• July 16, 2014 at 17:54

I know it might sound ass upwards to some, but not all strikers can be judged by their goalscoring records. I know that Emile Heskey always divided opinion BUT, with the England team we had at the time our strength was with the midfield. We needed someone like Heskey, who could hold the ball up to let the midfield progress with confidence so you attack in numbers which you need to do playing the system that Olly seems to want us to play. We have lacked someone who can perform this role (although the Hoff did in the latter part of the season). I don't know if Fuller is the right man for the job but he possesses the right attributes. I still hope we sign Smith, who I have always thought looked the part, but I think this signing makes sense. Smith might not be available until late in pre-season or not available at all. I can't say yet 'in Olly I trust' but I do see the logic behind this signing.

• July 17, 2014 at 01:48

@Adsy77777: Adsy your post makes sense ,but i am afraid it will go right over the heads of fans like dpendet and southview .
      There a a lot of fans that forget we do not have millions to spend on players,also not every player they say we should get, for one reason or another do not want to come to millwall.

• July 16, 2014 at 17:58

Hopefully our next striker signing is an ambitious one but Fuller could provide the attributes in our forward line we have been missing since Henderson left after the season of our fantastic 18-game unbeaten run with Kenny (Albeit after, we completely imploded once Henderson lost all interest in playing for us and barely stayed up again) but Fuller will have the strength and aggression to hold up the ball up and hopefully there's some pace still in those legs to run at defences. Yeah Olly is adding the final pieces to his big team jigsaw nicely.

• July 16, 2014 at 18:00

Weather you agree with the decision or not lets get behind Ricardo and the boys only time will tell a fiery Jamaican in the dressing room I think could be a massive bonus for some of the younger players with the possibility of Robbo and Big Danny leaving his experience could be vital
    So welcome to Millwall Ricardo its not rocket science if you give a 100 % here the fans will back you ( and a s*** load of goals ) of course
    as they say in Jamaica lets hope them goals SOON COME

• July 17, 2014 at 08:21

@mfc2u: what more could you arks of him.

• July 16, 2014 at 18:17

Over the hill & past. & why remind us that you played for the anoraks great way to win friends. You can join the golden oldies gang we've got enough of em.

• July 16, 2014 at 18:23

He's signed now. Doesn't matter what he did before so pointless rolling the stats out. Only stats that count for Ricardo Fuller now are those in a Millwall shirt. Not a Holloway fan but same applies to him. Keeping us up was his minimum expectation from us now he has to deliver on all the bravado and promises. COYL

• July 16, 2014 at 18:57

Remember, IH said that even if he signed Fuller he was still looking to sign another striker. Seems to me that this deal was a cost-effective way to bolster the squad. Seem to remember him causing us a few problems in a poor Blackpool side when we lost at their place. Matt Smith is still a possibility, I'd expect Leeds to go mad with their McCormack money and Smith may well find himself down the pecking order in a couple of weeks. This time last year we were all excited about getting Morison and look how that turned out. Fuller in a good side could be a valuable acquisition and also provide a good foil for the inexperienced Gregory. Let's wait and see how it goes eh?

• July 16, 2014 at 19:08

With his experience maybe he will help create chance for Gregory and Marquis , as well as getting a few goals himself.

• July 16, 2014 at 19:08

@ DEPENDET. Yeah I do all that mate, out of Peckham . Difference is I don't keep finding fault and criticising every time they don't do what I want, before even a balls bin kicked in anger.

• July 16, 2014 at 19:36

@bordersarebest0170: it's about opinions on NAD mate, we may agree or disagree!
      When Mfc signed Lee Gregory I was well pleased, when Forde and Martin resigned I was pleased and posted on NAD to congratulate the club so how's that slagging off ?
      Stop talking s*** and get your facts right Peckham boy!!!

• July 16, 2014 at 19:13

Millwall sign pork pie

• July 16, 2014 at 19:17

Very much like last year I'm not filled with confidence in respect of this team. We are still 7/4 and second favourites to be relegated. Apart from burnley last year they dont often get it totally wrong. The league positions at Xmas are a good guide, lets hold opinion till then.

• July 16, 2014 at 19:31

I'm confident of a mid table finish for the coming season, which would be good for us. He ain't finished bringing in faces yet.

• July 16, 2014 at 19:36

Olly will get the best out of him were as the likes of powell and ferguson couldn't. Of course we don't know for sure but worth a punt. Defenders don't like playing against him and he can nick a goal. COYL,

• July 16, 2014 at 19:59

I think it is a decent signing but we know he will not start every game. I still think we need to get 1 striker that will lead the line with Gregory. If we was to get 1 of the 4 strikers Smith , Miller , Wood or P.Bamford our strikers will be complete

• July 18, 2014 at 18:46

Good shout Bob Bamford would be class but I doubt it.@boblion:

• July 16, 2014 at 20:37

Well he is ours now so I will have to support but I have strong doubts he is going to have a massive positive impact. Forgettable performances at his last two clubs and never really been prolific. Can't wait to be proven wrong and have to wipe the egg off my face when he gets 15 goals and loads of assists.....

• July 17, 2014 at 08:17

@glyngo: you should have gone to Blackpool he murdered us got man of the match and scored the winner, hmm.

• July 16, 2014 at 20:38

Still want to see Marquis come good or sign a younger target man

• July 16, 2014 at 21:21

Don't worry, Millwall have a great record of getting the very best out of "veteran" strikers coming towards the end of their careers. I give you. .....
    Alf Ackerman
    Pat Terry
    Len Julians ( the greatest of them all !)
    Dave Mitchell
    Paul Moody
    Dion Dublin
    Steve Claridge

And I'm sure there are more........

• July 16, 2014 at 21:57

@Islander: Glad there's someone as old as me who remembers Alf Ackerman!!!

• July 16, 2014 at 23:35

@Islander: Don't remember Alf but Dave Mitchell was by a mile my favorite, 100% heart

• July 17, 2014 at 00:26

@Islander: have to agree about Len Julians,Alf Ackerman one of my favorites had hell of a shot on him

• July 17, 2014 at 08:50

@Islander:
      Len Julians, remember the end of his last game at the Den, when he was serenaded off the pitch with the song "We'll meet again"......happy days

• July 16, 2014 at 21:35

Seems a bit on the mature side but I guess quality and experience never leave someone, wish him well and hope he can provide a solid body up forward. Interesting to see how many goals he's got in him and how crafty he is.

• July 16, 2014 at 22:25

As of today the average age of our squad is 28.9 years. That's the oldest in the diversion,so we should not lack experience.

• July 16, 2014 at 23:28

Welcome to Millwall Ricardo.
    I think your a decent addition to our squad and a one year contract makes sense.
    I look forward to seeing you in a Millwall shirt.
    Good luck.

• July 17, 2014 at 00:24

I'm skeptical but if he scores 6-10 this season and sets up a few and maybe as important, pass on some of that experience he has at top level,to the young strikers, ... in Holly we trust, could've been worse, we could have got Bobby Z on an overinflated wage. good luck Ricardo

• July 17, 2014 at 00:53

Len Julians, the first striker i remember as a boy. This season starts on the 9th we must make it a full house. Go from there. Block 4 west stand. Come with me as a life long supporter.

• July 17, 2014 at 11:06

@hernebaylion: Classy player Len Julians and a real gent too.

• July 17, 2014 at 01:20

Big big gamble and I'm not a fan of filler but lets see what happens. We already have Easter though so do we need another ageing striker of a similar ilk

• July 17, 2014 at 08:13

@spartacus: me neither I'd rather weld a new patch in any day 🙂

• July 17, 2014 at 06:14

Gotta admit I'm not a fan of this move. However he hasn't played yet so let's not chop the lads head of yet, give him a chance lets see what he's got.
    Also I'm pretty sure IH hasn't finished in the transfer window
    Any way come on you lions!!

• July 17, 2014 at 08:16

He could not do worse than, Campell, MacDonald , or the other fella we had on loan . We where totally impotent up front last season. I recon he'll score more than Morrison and cost less, without the sulking. Not exited but I am more than ready to give him a fair chance.

• July 17, 2014 at 14:12

@Lincolnshire Lion: you and lion heart have the right attitude lets give the man his chance and see if he can do it for us.

• July 17, 2014 at 19:17