Millwall chairman: Squad does not need major overhaul

©
©

JOHN Berylson says Millwall do not need a major overhaul of their squad this summer.

The Lions have already brought in Lee Gregory, Byron Webster and Carlos Edwards ahead of the 2014-15 campaign.

Manager Ian Holloway is still in the market for a striker and a right winger but, beyond strengthening those two positions, Berylson does not foresee any further signings.

Chairman Berylson said: "There are still some spots in the team we have to fill – at least one – but it's not like last year when Lomas went after lots of players.

"I agree that we did have to make a lot of additions then but I don't think that's true this summer. A lot of our players are looking strong.

"When you worry whether Jimmy Abdou will get into the squad each week, that's a good feeling.

"We've got a full complement in midfield and the loss of Liam Trotter and Liam Feeney means nothing to me – they are fine players but they weren't right for us.

"We could use a few more bodies but I also think that one of our kids is going to come through"

It is no secret that the Lions are eager to strengthen up front – with Leeds United's Matt Smith their prime target – but Berylson will not rush into a deal.

One frontman who will not be coming to The Den is Stefan Maierhofer, who stalled for too long over a permenant switch to SE16.

"Maierhofer made a mistake," Berylson said. "But he made his bed and now he's going to sleep in it.

"He didn't realise our position, which is: if you don't want to play for Millwall, don't. He can't claim a language problem because he speaks English beautifully.

"He was obviously looking for something else, he didn't get it and then he came back to us – but it was too late. I think he was badly advised.

"I'm not in a hurry to sign a striker – we don't want to get the wrong guy."

72 thoughts on “Millwall chairman: Squad does not need major overhaul

• July 14, 2014 at 08:41

Straight talking from JB, must be taking lessons from IH. A forward and right winger on their way then, but not Fuller please.

• July 14, 2014 at 08:42

If we are being realistic we must accept that we have probably the smallest playing budget in the Championship, especially when you factor in the outrage that is the parachute payment and the number of teams still receiving it in full or in part.

So for us we need a shrewd manager/coach who can assemble a team where the sum exceeds the total of the parts. That is what Ollie is trying to do.

We all stand behind him, but with our expectations correctly tempered.

• July 14, 2014 at 08:49

Keep chasing Smith JB.
    A younger keen striker,not a OLD has been.

• July 14, 2014 at 08:53

The last two miserable seasons,this squad has survived by the skin of it's teeth,but it doesn't need strengthening!Please don't complain when the den isn't packed to the rafters every week.I know we have a small budget but the events of previous years haven't shaken the board from their complacency.

• July 14, 2014 at 09:22

@norris: your so right mate I've been banging on about this for ever if we don't get good players in your just not going get that extra 5000 fans like jb wants, when will the board ever learn?.

• July 14, 2014 at 10:05

@foxy: You will get the extra fans with results as Millwall climbs so will attendances, good results and attractive football is the all important concern. Look at Germany not many household names but a team that plays superbly together, Brazil full of "names" but hopeless. If IH is building a TEAM that plays well together then that is all to the good. Millwall need to win more games and climb the table, that will bring the fans in.

• July 14, 2014 at 10:30

@Peckhamlad: I agree, selective recruiting and good balance. A good mix and selecting the right type of player, not just for their skills but for their personalities. If they all on the same page n want the same outcomes then they,l cut sick and we,l have bars the size of baseball bats ( not the women of course) but I'm busting to see what this new lineup will bring us!!!

• July 14, 2014 at 19:02

@Peckhamlad: agree that attendances will improve should results go our way. Young hungry players are what we should target as we've tried old has beens just after the money and we know how that works out.

Can't see your point regarding Germany though. I knew far more of their squad than I did of Brazils and they're all quality individually as well as collectively.

• July 14, 2014 at 10:46

Totally agree it's not rocket science a successful team brings the rewards bigger crowds
      The last 2 seasons have been woefull so take notice JB and board go the extra step !!!

• July 14, 2014 at 12:02

@norris:Norris you have missed out on one thing team attitude under KJ and Lomas the attitude of the team was poor,only two players started the season under Lomas with the right attitude, that was malone and woolford,since IH took over the whole team have got a positive attitude.This is going to be be a big asset in the coming season.

• July 14, 2014 at 09:24

@norris.: at the end of the day the supporters will get the blame.its wot they do..saying that i dont care if smith played for leeds i want him here

• July 14, 2014 at 10:32

@Jim28: and, hope ya goin well mate.

• July 14, 2014 at 09:24

Well said JB, totally back the signing of Smith or someone of his ilk. We do have a talented sqaud that played some lovely football towards the end of last season.

• July 14, 2014 at 09:29

Spot on accept for not rushing to get a striker & a winger. These signings need to be done soon so they can fit in with the squad &the way Ollie wants to play

• July 14, 2014 at 09:42

I think up to last year I would have taken the boards / ambler comments of not in any rush to sign anyone as well that's it we are done

However this year things seem different for every not in any rush comment I think they are workifng hard behind the scenes for that striker or two as IH was under no illusions where we fell down last year

I have every confidence in the bald one to have something in place and for JB to back him they are millwall people and believe they have learnt from past mistakes of bringing in overpaid egos

So onwards and upwards let's go get smith and let fuller show he has what it takes to win the shirt on a short term deal

• July 14, 2014 at 10:10

Same old same old I'm afraid , please I hope I'm proven wrong coyl

• July 14, 2014 at 10:35

I'm sorry but does not need a major overhaul is JB for real??? We just about stayed up by the skins of our teeth last season and seems to me millwall wanna do that again on a shoe lace. This is football for real not a football manger game, but we will get the same excuse not enough fans down the den to attract the big signings, more like we don't have the avenue of other clubs and us supporters get the blame!!!

• July 14, 2014 at 10:41

@rob hearn: There was a major overhaul last season and look where that got us. I hope no one expects us to be champions, and I am sure IH can get the best out of the players we have. There have been a couple of decent signings towards the end of last season and Webster is a good addition. We do need a Striker as everyone as well as the board knows, but I am sure its going to better than last year.

• July 14, 2014 at 11:01

Based on last eight games our squad doesn't need a major overhaul, just a few quality additions. Lomas last season was buying all and sundry and look where that got us.
    Once again reality has to kick in, we are a small championship side with small gates so we have to find a formula for success. Is this a defeatist attitude and throwing in the towel before we start? No, we are a club very similar in size to Burnley and they managed promotion last year and they manged to finish above the moneybags from Loftus Road. I'm excited by what's going on at The Den we have made some quality signings and are looking at a blend of youth and experience. I don't care how old the players are as long as they are committed to the cause and do the business for Millwall. If age is an issue would we turn down Miroslav Klose for being too old? No of course not so if Ricardo Fuller ticks the boxes then I'm happy to have him (I would prefer Matt Smith though)
    We have had two miserable years and we need improvement, the signs are there that improvement is what we will get.

• July 15, 2014 at 09:15

@Vinny Shell: Vinny that is a great post i am with you all the way on that.

• July 14, 2014 at 11:18

Sorry lads but some of you do on here seem to be Doom and Gloom Merchants and unrealistic. Let's be honest due to the size of the club at best we can be a strong Championship side but would never realistically be able to sustain continued Life in the Premiership. Although, it would be nice to achieve the odd excursion into the Premiership.
    We are fortunate to have IH who certainly has the ability of getting the best out of his players and analysing the opposition so that we can achieve the right results. These results will bring confidence to the side, lets not forget the last 8 matches. JB is well aware as we all are that we desperately need a Striker and a Pacey Winger. He also acknowledges that we need players with the right attitude to play for us. Hasty decisions will not achieve anything but disaster and financial ruin.
    I agree entirely with what JB is saying hear and believe that he will give IH the backing when the correct personnel are found. I do not believe anyone can criticise the commitment that JB has shown to us and the Club. I for one have the belief that between JB and IH will get it right and that exciting times lie ahead.

• July 14, 2014 at 11:33

This time last year i could see so many mistakes being made it was almost laughable, Lomas was like a kid in a candy shop buying anyone and everyone. This year is different Ollie has to work with what he has and slowly build,some in some out, He is doing it the right way. Have some patience lads and lassies.
    It is all coming together.

IOIT

• July 14, 2014 at 11:41

JK is a great chairman.and dont usauly get involved in team matters..i can only think he's trying to take the pressure of his manager..JB leave the soccer to olly lol

• July 14, 2014 at 11:57

I don't think a major overhaul is needed, if we had a decent manager from day 1 last season then I don't think we would have been near the bottom. If the last 8 games had been the first 8 games with a seasonal blip in the middle and the same run in then we would have been top 10.

A good pre-season with improved facilities, training, a methodology and game plan the players understand, competition for places, some unhappy and unproductive faces gone replaced with hungry players, a decent youth system to breath down the necks of established first teamers, I think we can look at mid table this year.
    Throw in a couple more youngsters next season and strengthen where we need to again and maybe top 10, repeat this and flirt with the play offs for a couple of seasons then hopefully in about 5 years time we will see some real progress and make it to the premier league with a sound, safe business plan, stability on and off the pitch, infrastructure to cope with top flight and if we go down again we have parachute payments to bounce back up and win the championship.

or we just moan and don't go to games and we get relegated

• July 14, 2014 at 12:36

@br00ker:
      Excellent post. You are absolutely right we are already in a significantly improved position than this time last year. It is not a quick fix but we are establishing the right foundations to provide stability and success in the future.

• July 14, 2014 at 12:39

@br00ker: Fair enough post but with one omission, who is going to put the ball in the net, hopefully Gregory is our saviour but I doubt it, he will need help and at this moment in time we do not have someone you can count on putting the round thing in an 8yd target.

• July 14, 2014 at 12:47

@Sealion: we haven't finished this seasons building yet 😉
        Hopefully "the electrician" as my son calls him will do a job.
        I reckon we'll end up with a loanee up front from a premier league team.

• July 14, 2014 at 18:00

@Sealion: Mac Donald was a good goal scorer before he came to us , there is a lot more to come from him.

• July 14, 2014 at 18:10

Elliot Grandin and Matt Smith would be good additions in my opinion. Then we need Macdonald to come good and Gregory to be the new Bomber. Woolford will continue as Mr consistent, and Martin to show what he showed end of last season. Edwards will make all this difference in the side and hopefully Webster will continue his Yeovil form plus he scores a few. Upson has goals in him as well. All in all I am pleased with the way things are going I think JB is dead right. The Squad needed the dead wooden chucking out and some new players grafting in. Burnley played the whole season with about 16 players , we are as big as Burnley any day.

• July 14, 2014 at 13:03

I like everyone else last year got caught up in the pre season hopes of a great season because we finally went out and spent some money, even if it was on wages rather than fees .
    As we now know it didn't work I think jb should be given some credit to the fact that he went and got a manager of Ollies stature that im sure doesn't come cheap to right the wrong that was Lomas.
    This time round it feels different what with the young players going out to Portugal and the players coming in not having seen better days and being the right side of 30 , Edwards the exception ( great player and attitude )
    They say learn from your mistakes so this year im just being optimistic that IH is building a team that can play good football and hopefully bring another few thousand through the gates ... so please no talk of promotion or play offs as I find im Very easily lead
    ps is their any truth in the rumours that Messi is on his way straight swap for Josh Wright ,,,,?

• July 14, 2014 at 13:09

@mfc2u: Apparently Messi said, "If I keep plying my trade at this 2 bob Barcelona and try really hard in training, then 1 day the mighty millwall may offer me contract."

When he is 34 and has badly injured knees and wants 1 last pay day

• July 14, 2014 at 13:21

so basically another greedy over paid journeyman ,,,thanks for the heads up on that one @br00ker:

• July 14, 2014 at 13:13

way to much sense being spoken on here, what going on lol

• July 14, 2014 at 13:18

It seems that we all agree that we need a striker and a winger but and it is a big BUT if Fred can prove himself like he did in the first game he played last year the ‘speedy’ winger issue is solved. After a full pre-season under Ollie, whose main concern last year was putting out fires, I assume he has come on quite a bit, he is also an unknown quantity as regards the rest of the division, so a young, fast, one of our own, that has not cost us means everyone’s a winner, if he is good enough, and from what I saw I personally think he is. The striker is a different issue I am not sure that any of the youngsters can step up regularly but we have Gregory, on that front ‘who knows’ but I have to say that I would not be upset at Morrison coming back. He was so unlucky last year with a lot of chances, off the bar against Bournemouth some worldly saves from the Doncaster keeper etc. etc., he knows the club, although he threw a moody when he left first time he seemed committed this time around and was part of the eight game run. I am sure we do not need a drastic overhaul the end of last season proved that we were at least a good middle of the league team and with a full pre-season some good players in and I dare say some of the more disruptive players out I think we should have a decent season. I also think the type of football we play is important please no more of the dross that was the Middlesbrough match last year, I just hope that the fans adjust to a keep ball passing style of play and keep off the players backs if they are not running around totally unaware of keeping a decent shape.

• July 14, 2014 at 13:29

Just my tu'pence worth.... Change for change sake is not the right way to go and I totally agree with JB. There were so many variables that affected our squad last year - fitness levels, personalities, back room antics, players playing out of position, a cr*p manager, poor signings.... I could go on. I trust IH knows what he's doing - he's looking at the collective whole rather than individual players. He's looking at key skills, weaknesses, team blend, challenging players to think outside the box. Players don't need to play pretty football, but they need to know where they fit into the team, they need to start reading the game and understand what is expected of them and why. Above all, the need to learn that the gaffer's word is final.

• July 14, 2014 at 13:49

we will get a striker, to replace Bob Crow "tools down, all out, who's got the picket signs"
    and a whinger, some moany b!tch that will get the hump if he can't play in favourite position.

• July 14, 2014 at 14:17

just realised lots of the players were linked with have a small you tube video (probably made by their agents ) they all have something in common ,one of the very few goals they have ever scored from every angle known to man over and over again
    I personally would be happier to see a couple of crunching tackles they made or the time they sprinted the length of the pitch to help defend ... just a thought

• July 14, 2014 at 14:50

I like Lenny the Lions post, Morison looked to me that he was up for it. I thought most times last season he played as well as anyone else. Would rather have him than fullershit who is just after another overpaid contract. Morison at least knows the Millwall ethos. Anyway he owes us a good season, and would he like to turn over weeds or not?

• July 14, 2014 at 17:37

@wallchef: I like Morison but he is not a target man, we need someone who can win the headers against big defenders hold the ball and lay it off to the likes of Gregory. A bit like Hoff only fit.

• July 14, 2014 at 14:57

Forde a good championship goalie
    Edwards hopefully one more good season in him or dunne
    Beavers young and capable hopefully improved a bit
    Webster unknown but if he forges a good partnership with beavers then were ok
    Malone great last season more again please
    Wool ford last years top goals corer
    Williams good passer good free kicks and can defend
    Upson scored a fair few for Yeovil last season so don't think we've seen his best
    Bailey leader and was great in 2nd half of last season
    Fred showed great potential and could be our best player this season
    Martin had a better 2nd half of last season
    Gregory unknown could be another Morrison could be crap

Think we need another striker hopefully matt smith or chris o'grady or both if greedy
    And perhaps another winger but I would rather put faith in fed and if he isn't ready yet loan in another winger from a prem youth team.

• July 14, 2014 at 15:21

Elliot Grandin
    Millwall boss Ian Holloway is a huge admirer of Grandin from during his time in charge of Blackpool and is thought to be looking into a move to be reunited with the winger.

• July 14, 2014 at 16:05

• July 14, 2014 at 16:46

@beedoscores: Hope this is true and that Holloway gets him to join us, we do need another winger.

• July 14, 2014 at 17:48

@Peckhamlad: We do have a good chance of signing him because he is a great admirer of Ollie. He signed him when he was Manager at Blackpool and resigned him at Crystal Palace so he might be keen to be reunited with him. Paul Ince didn't like him when he took over at Blackpool and he was give a free transfer by Palace in January so he wasn't a success there either.

• July 14, 2014 at 17:13

Decent signing if it happens

• July 14, 2014 at 17:30

Spot on jb. We don't need a complete overhaul just a couple of quality additions and the team that did so well in last years run in.

Perhaps it's a couple of decent young loans?

Also...and I know I'll get shot down for this. .but..I'm still hoping marquis can come good. He has the physique and the heart. If olly can get the best out of him he could finally come good. Nothing better than one of you're own doing the business.

• July 14, 2014 at 17:41

@roders: We are all hoping for Marquis to come good but I fear it will not be in this division.

• July 14, 2014 at 19:42

Grandin mite be a good winger who can also play at attacking mid .he does like olly cos he plays the game the same way he likes..but dont expect to many goals from him..

• July 14, 2014 at 20:39

@Jim28: Hes pretty quick player only 5"9 and likes to get the ball forward and as you say jim can play central attacking midfielder I think he as only scored 15 to 20 goals not many but if we can get him he wil be useful and he knows already how Ollie likes him to play,Lets hope .

• July 14, 2014 at 21:50

theres a rumour on twitter that's going around at moment from Leeds fans ,Millwall have had a bid accepted for Matt smith ,hope so

• July 14, 2014 at 22:54

All sorts of stories, rumours and names of players are going around at moment, best to pay no heed until something concrete happens.

• July 14, 2014 at 23:54

The storys on twitter means nothing to me. Simply cos there coming out of the mouths of leeds fans..i dont think our management are dealing with them..but i do expect a striker to be in place some time this week..cos olly will want to get him on a level with the rest of the squad

• July 15, 2014 at 00:41

54 coments , All roughly saying the same thing. We all need to be there on the 9th and see what Olly has done to our team. It will be a good comparison to last season's 8 games. 15,000 get down and support Holloway show him the MILLWALL he is talking about from our point of wiew.

• July 15, 2014 at 06:59

I have to disagree with you Norris

The board was shaken from their complacency just before Christmas when they took action by sacking Lomas and their subsequent appointment of Ollie in January.
    Unfortunately Lomas wasted most of the money he was given last season but JB has matched that investment this season.
    (We can always have a whip round Friday night)
    I am happy that the core players from the last 8 games unbeaten run have been retained.
    I would prefer Ollie to build slowly bringing the youngsters through and bringing players in like Lee Gregory and Byron Webster.
    But I do not think Zamora or Fuller are the solution.
    I think JB is right and he is only echoing what his Ollie has said previously. We just need another forward and a winger like others have said on here they need to be young, hungry and have the ability to adapt to the Ollie way of playing football.
    I think we could also do with a bit of pace, I'd love to see Millwall break from defence to attack passing it on the ground fast but with the odd long ball.
    I would also like us to score more from set pieces because we are absolute crap at them when they should be a golden opportunity to score.
    If we start the season with a decent result against Leeds there is a chance that the attendances will stay up if we can play some decent football and the players step up week in week out.
    Top 10 at Christmas should be the target and based on the form at the end of last season it is achievable.

• July 15, 2014 at 08:52

On one hand, we, as supporters have seen mistakes made at both management and player levels over the years. That gives us all insights. On the other hand, Ollie does actually appear to be putting together a useful squad. Not the finished article by any means, but at least it looks promising. He's seen the weaknesses. Shittu, Robinson, Jack Smith and weeded out those that didn't want to play for us- Henry, Trotter, Feeney etc. so he does inspire me with confidence.
    We've recently seen investements in the training ground, club shop etc. and we've now actually got a marketing team that knows what it's doing. The only real issue I've got is that even if we sign Smith-for example-then the forwards we have on the bench, ie: Easter, in my humble opinion, aint good enough. Then it comes down to trusting the manager with moving Millwall forward against a feeling that we need at least two new forwards.

• July 15, 2014 at 09:32

@NICKOLA:another good post nick,but the funny thing is some of the fans i talk to are still bemoaning the fact we let our two best players go [their opinions not mine] and still do not accept the fact they did not want to play for millwall.
      When trotter went to bolton on loan i am sure we had agreed a fee to be paid at the end of the season,does any one know if we did and how much

• July 15, 2014 at 09:19

jb is right, why ? because under lomas the players went out with a what seemed like a don't give a t*** attitude, they were playing for a manager that had at best limited knowledge of how to be a manager of a proper football club, true kj has to take some of the blame cos he lost his way and love for us and that very quickly infected our players, IH came in and started to infect our players with a proper plan for the great escape, job done, he got into their minds, hearts and souls, look at how they played at the end of last season, look at the fight, determination, passion and guts, yes it took until the last eight games but the signs were there earlier.
    He is bringing in players that are buying into what he wants from them, he has players from last season that have bought into what he wants from them, how can some of us be so blind as to not see this, remember we have NEVER had a manager like IH, NEVER, when we first got him I was" over the moon" and I knew what to expect because I knew we had just got the perfect man for the job, it took a while to get him cos I would of had him before kj, with IH's personality and commitment added to our passion and commitment whatever happens this season we will be in for a hell of a ride.
    So let's stop the doubting and all the negative nonsense until OUR LIONS give us reason to doubt and be negative, support OUR MANAGER, OUR BOARD, OUR TEAM and prove the rest of the football world that we are what we say, THE BEST SUPPORTERS OF THE BEST CLUB IN THE WORLD,
    Amen

• July 15, 2014 at 11:31

@terry the turk lion: Terry what a great informed post,yes K J did get us promoted and he took us to wembley a number of times,unlike some on NAD who think him a legend i dont for the simple fact he was lucky we did not get relagated in his last season and he left us with a mountain of problems on the playing side of things,so i thank him for what he did but legend no way.
      As for Lomas yes he was out of his depth,but i had a lot of sympathy for him on three counts,1 you cannot blame a man for having ambition and thinking he can do a job at a bigger club than the one he was currently managing,the fault was with the board on his appointment.
      2 Because of his west ham connection many of the fans got on his back from day one,funny thing is when i have asked the west ham haters why they have not given past ex west ham players stick i get no answer.Harry cripps had west ham for his testimonial,after all it was not the west ham players that caused trouble was it,if a player gives 100% when he pulls the millwall shirt on i dont care who he played for.
      3 And the most important, apart from Malone,woolford and Forde none of the players seemed to commit to him,even IH said that some of the players had a lot to answer for in SLs demise.
      As for IH you are absolutely correct in saying we deserved more from his early games in charge,i could only fault him once and that was the reading game when he took beavers off after going 1-0 down that apart 10 out of 10 for the way he has performed.
      As i said great post from you.

• July 15, 2014 at 13:14

@jim1222: Great post Jim - one of the best I have read on here

• July 15, 2014 at 11:37

Thank you Jim and I can't disagree with anything you have said.
    COME YOU MIGHTY LIONS MAKE YOURSELVES HEROES AND MAKE US PROUD.

• July 15, 2014 at 11:59

Change of subject, I would just like to say that I have bought my first ever season ticket, who would like to congratulate me, I'm also looking forward to a few away days starting off at Craven Cottage

• July 15, 2014 at 12:29

@Charliefearnofoe: well done mate, welcome aboard!!
      Gonna miss Fulham away, on holiday, only london ground not been too!
      Even been emirates, to see Coldplay play!!!!

• July 15, 2014 at 12:41

@Charliefearnofoe:Charlie the funny thing is i have been going to millwall since 1952 when i was six and like you only bought my 1st season ticket this year,annoying part is had i bought a season ticket over the year's i would have saved a fortune.The moral of the story is get a season ticket.
      congatulations and i hope we start a lot better this season.

• July 15, 2014 at 13:33

@jim1222: Haha I couldn't of said it better myself

• July 15, 2014 at 12:23

Congrats on your first, i am 56 years old and never had one but one day........

• July 15, 2014 at 13:02

played on a ploughed field

don't think we will be seeing many of these in the squad, ever.

• July 15, 2014 at 13:03

Forget about top six. With the right attitude , fitness and team unity the present squad will
    be ok for a solid top half next season. Holloway will have at least a two year plan, which will mean bringing in new players and youth over that period. It ain't a school tuck shop where you go and spend all your pocket money on rubbish all at once, just like that p**** Lomas did.

• July 15, 2014 at 13:07

I've never been to Fulham for a league game but in the 80's went to reserve match but that don't count.

• July 15, 2014 at 13:13

Well said lowdown, who would want a one season wonder anyway, we are all in this together and in for the long haul, it's like sex, the longer you wait the better it is once you get it, lol.