Ollie: Millwall fans should not get hopes up over Zamora

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

A MILLWALL deal for Bobby Zamora is unlikely, boss Ian Holloway has said.

Zamora, who is available on a free transfer following the expiration of his contract at QPR, spoke at length with Holloway on Tuesday afternoon.

The meeting was brokered by first team coach Marc Bircham, who knows the 33-year-old striker from his time on the backroom staff at Loftus Road.

Holloway has managed Zamora before – 15 years ago at Bristol Rovers – as well as his cousin Ronnie Mauge, who also played for the Pirates in the late 1990s.

But Zamora was reported to be earning £60,000-a-week wages last season and Holloway believes the frontman's financial situation will rule the Lions out of the running.

The Lions boss said: "If we offered him a deal, the negotiations would have to be all his way, wouldn't they? And he would have to turn down lots of extra money from other clubs.

"Obviously it's out in the public domain now but I don't like building people's hopes up and I don't think our fans should expect this to happen.

"Bobby has not turned Millwall down and we have not made him an offer because that is not where we are or what was spoken about."

Zamora could yet stay at QPR, who were promoted to the Premier League after his play-off final winner, but he has rejected their offer of a 12-month deal.

"We just had a chat about him and where he wants to go in his career," Holloway added.

"I had him when he was 16 so it was nice to see him again and have a chat – he only lives up the road in Sevenoaks.

"He will have a lot of choices this summer. I showed him our training ground and had a chat with him, that was all.

"I was really pleased for him with the way his season ended last year.

"He has got the utmost respect for everyone here and he's a fantastic fella – I think we were talking for nearly three hours and it was him doing the talking rather than me!

"I'm looking at lots of options. I need a big bloke up front and some widemen who can run like hell with the ball – and then we won't be far off."

[poll id="20"]

41 thoughts on “Ollie: Millwall fans should not get hopes up over Zamora

• July 11, 2014 at 07:52

Personally i think matt smith would be a better fit for us. Zamora is past it!

• July 11, 2014 at 08:05

I can appreciate Ollie is trying to get players in but personally i don't want him purely down to how much time he has spent injured in recent seasons, plus he is 33 so probably only worth a one year pay as you play structured kind of deal, Smith is a big lump and might well be worth a punt...dependant on fee involved.

• July 11, 2014 at 08:18

We have not got our hopes up. Could not really care

• July 11, 2014 at 10:16

@JONO: well said think Smith more suited

• July 11, 2014 at 08:18

To be fair I don't want him.

• July 11, 2014 at 08:23

Sorry IH, we don't really want him.
    He's a sick note who probably play 10 games and be on big wages!
    We have had to many journey men at this club recently, get someone younger and hungrier, Matt Smith fits that bill.

• July 11, 2014 at 08:33

- wouldn't mind bobby we play a lot better with a big man up front, plus he could hold the ball up for Gregory to finish. But it's all down to finance I guess.
    Does any one know how tall Matt smith is? Gotta be honest I don't know a lot about this player

• July 11, 2014 at 08:45

@G_LION_HEART: Matt Smith came to notice a couple of years ago when Oldham had a cup run. They. Played Everton an Liverpool I think and he scored a couple of good goals. I had hopes then that we would move for him. Looked a good target man.

• July 11, 2014 at 08:43

Some positives on Zamora is that his a big personality, he leads by example, likes to be the main man, season tickets at row Z are now 50% off but scores big goals single handily drag Fulham to a European final (slightly injured) under Roy hodgeson, (not sure..did play for west ham in the carling cup final again Liverpool ? Promoted with QPR getting the winning goal with 10 men .
    Negative - injured far to often, can't play more then 60mins (or his back ceases up) I'm sure I saw a game here he stayed out to keep his back from going,
    his played for west ham!! with Marlon harwood, wants big wages.

• July 11, 2014 at 09:03

@Bush: Bush call me thick,but i dont understand the [ season tickets at row Z are now 50% off] part of your post] does the Z stand for Zamora.
      could you please explain as it has me puzzled.

• July 11, 2014 at 09:19

@jim1222: he means that zamoras shots normally end up in row z , I personally wouldn't have him here at all just clogging up the treatment room

• July 11, 2014 at 12:34

@jim1222:
        When the ball hits your head
        And your in row Z
        that's Zamora

• July 11, 2014 at 13:12

@Bush:
          Gutted, couldn't log in quick enough to write this myself

• July 11, 2014 at 08:48

60k a week ??
    How can we compete with that?
    Some of these rumours are just silly.

• July 11, 2014 at 08:52

Yeah not fussed about getting him really. We would have to employ more ball boys to sit out in the car park to keep returning his shots!

• July 11, 2014 at 08:55

£60.000 a week no way do I think he is worth that , a player who is out of the team more then he is In no thanks , go for smith any day younger and hungry

• July 11, 2014 at 09:02

To tell the truth i've lost all hope of getting another striker in..i know iH is trying hard..but the closer the season comes..he will get frustrated & get any unfit stsiker in..like he did in jan & march..i hope not cos dont want another hof or cambell

• July 11, 2014 at 11:35

@Jim28:diffrent before he was just getting players in to keep is up , now it's players to get us in a top six finish trust in ih

• July 11, 2014 at 09:02

Myself personally I have never been keen on Zamora very over rated and it has nothing to do with him being ex wet spam,Where as Matt smith he may not score many gaols but he sets up over players to score as well and I think he would be a decent player for us.
    If we don't any of these two then there other players out there that Ollie as his eye on,What is 28 days to the big kick off still plenty of time

• July 11, 2014 at 09:07

Sorry OLLIE i dont want him,he is injury prone.
    Pay as you play deal maybe ,bit i can see him playing one game then 3 or 4 games out injured.

• July 11, 2014 at 09:43

Hopes up? I've never been less enthused. Seriously zamora is absolute Pony. He's pretty much the same as Carlton Cole. Will probably score 1 in every 8 clear chances. He's a sick note. 60k a week. It goes to show the sort of financial battle our small club are up against in this league. Personally I don't want him at our club I'm sure IH has much more up his sleeve yet. COYL.

• July 11, 2014 at 09:52

Personally my hopes are not up for Zamora but low if IH is trying to get him, there has to be better. Look abroad.

• July 11, 2014 at 09:54

Absoloutely no way that Zamora at his age would take such a wage cut on his last contract. Move on as Holloway says, It wont happen.
    I think Matt Smith is just what we should be looking for. I hope we get him and you know the rest if he then starts for us against Leeds. Come on Ambler & co. Make it happen.

• July 11, 2014 at 10:10

I just turned me phone on checked out what was happening and nearly slung me phone out the window, 60k for that oap, and ollie I'm not building me hopes up I promise, matt smith for me.

• July 11, 2014 at 10:21

60K A WEEK ! for a fkn sick note . FOOTBALL TODAY YOU CANT MAKE IT UP ! JOG ON ZZZZZZZZAMORA !

• July 11, 2014 at 10:48

Zamora can go do 1 for all i care to be honest we need a Millwall player someone here for the long term no in for a quick fix one year ffs Ollie we are all trusting you get ya backside into gear and sign us a permanant striker....SOMEONE LIKE BECCHIO (hint,hint) lol

IOIT

• July 11, 2014 at 10:55

my hopes weren't up until I read that the chance of him coming is low, now we probably aren't getting him my hopes of signing a better player have shot up.

In today's world of social media and forums like this, I do hope that people at the club do deliberately put stuff out there to gauge fan reaction to potential signings, future developments etc

Hopefully this is an example of this and now Ollie knows that if the final hurdle of a player is how the place will react to a new player especially with links to the W$*^ H"% (sorry for offensive language)

• July 11, 2014 at 20:25

@br00ker:
      Its not offensive if its aimed at them

• July 11, 2014 at 11:03

I seen to many players coming to the end of their careers end up at the Den most have been a waste of space.
    Let's leave some spaces open for some of our young prospects to show is if they can play the manager way.

• July 11, 2014 at 11:05

I know they are all professionals and former clubs don't really matter to players, they supposedly just get on with the job, but if you have 2 targets both exactly the same skill level but 1 will get stick from the home fans and the other won't, you'll go with the one that will be liked

• July 11, 2014 at 11:10

Im a big fan of you Ollie and I hope maybe someone from Millwall reads this site even if it's not Ollie himself! But one thing I will say is, I'm certainly NOT getting my hopes up for signing Zamora! Millwall could get by making these sort of signings in league one but unfortunately the Championship is so much more competitive than some people realise!
    These 30+ year old players just don't cut it as proved by Jackett!
    Maybe with the exception of Carlos Edwards!

• July 11, 2014 at 11:34

We need to learn from last season, no more injured 33 year olds please.
    Let's move on and buy younger.

• July 11, 2014 at 12:17

I will only get my hopes up that we don't sign him, have been to Loftus road on several occasions last season and he has never looked sharp. Smith looks like a far better prospect
    COYL

• July 11, 2014 at 14:22

£60K a week at QPR. That is what we're up against as a football club.
    Personally, I wouldn't sign him. He's been around the block a few to many times now.
    Surely there must be a youngster at a prem club we can get on loan.

• July 11, 2014 at 15:23

@Syd the Lion: how the hell did he manage to be on 60k a week for scoring a goal once in a blue moon ?

• July 11, 2014 at 15:05

I hope he don't come give a young one's a go

• July 11, 2014 at 15:42

If he gets an extended contract offer at QPR or any other club, it won't be on £60k per week. If he gets half that, and it won't be from Millwall, I would be very surprised. At 33, and regularly injured, he might get a half decent pay as you play offer.

• July 14, 2014 at 09:24

We shouldn't get our hopes up? Aww s***, that means we are signing him