Millwall decline chance to re-sign striker Stefan Maierhofer

MILLWALL have rejected the chance to re-sign Stefan Maierhofer.

The giant striker played a pivotal role in keeping the Lions in the Championship last season but indicated he wished to pursue a move to the Premier League this summer.

Incredibly, it is understood that the 31-year-old told boss Ian Holloway he was discussing a top-flight move to Fulham – who have in fact been relegated to the second tier.

With no offers forthcoming, Maierhofer's representatives have recently made contact with Millwall indicating that their client would be willing to discuss a new Den deal.

But NewsAtDen has learned the Lions have declined the opportunity to make him an offer.

Holloway is in the market for a tall forward but is exploring other options.

46 thoughts on “Millwall decline chance to re-sign striker Stefan Maierhofer

• July 1, 2014 at 10:02

get a better striker than him ollie

• July 4, 2014 at 18:47

Good player but dont want to play for us so f*** him

• July 1, 2014 at 10:02

Oh dear, I thnk he was the only one that didn't see that coming.

• July 1, 2014 at 10:03

The hoff not signing ? That should add a couple of thousand on the gate

• July 1, 2014 at 10:11

Who does the Hoff think he is. What a bloody cheek he tells Ollie at the end of last season that he wants to play for the Premiership. He soon discovers that is a non starter so comes crying back to us. With a wage grabbing attitude like that we definitely don't want him back. I am hoping those days are in the past where we employ these wage thiefs and that we now only employ players who really want to play for us.

• July 1, 2014 at 10:22

Well done Ollie. Buying good players and rejecting the rest makes such a refreshing change from the last couple of seasons.

• July 1, 2014 at 10:24

morison will be on the phone next asking to come back,,,lol

Ollie has 4 striker targets and is hoping to get 2 off them in, and im happy the Hoff isnt one of them.

• July 1, 2014 at 10:36

@MIGHTY: Can't help but think that if Morro was available and ready to commit to the club, he would be back at the club. IF, and it's a big IF, he was to get back to his previous best he'd be a good signing. With Holloway at the helm, he could be a good re-signing but only as a last resort should others fall through.
      There's better options out there I feel. I think it'll be a season-long loan from a Prem club's fringes, someone in the similar mould to Wood and Kane. Though I will say that I'm looking forward to Aiden O'Brien making his breakthrough. Seems like he has the right sort of attitude.

• July 1, 2014 at 11:07

@jasoncleftpallett:
        i wouldnt mind Morison back either to be honest he is good for us, but my faith is with Ollie if he thinks he can bring in better then im 100% with him, if he brings back Morro im 100% with him on that one too.

In Ollie i trust

• July 1, 2014 at 11:52

@MIGHTY: Morro blew his chance last season for me, I don't think his attitiude is the issue, he just doesn't have the all round game to play more than one type of role. The way Ollie wants to play, he would be required to add to the midfield and hold the ball up, as well as sitting on the last man.

• July 1, 2014 at 10:26

The Hoff done what he was required to do at the end of last season and have him as a long ball target up front with players running off him, worked a treat and we stayed up, Ollie offered him a new deal because he could definitely do a good job for us next season.... he rejected the offer as wanted to play in the premier league (he must have been the only person to realise that wasn't going to happen), now he comes running back and expects us to offer him a new deal..... life doesn't work like that my friend!

Ollie and the fans only want players who are committed to playing for Millwall and only Millwall!!!

• July 1, 2014 at 10:53

He done a job for us last season and helped to keep us up, but I am glad he isn't coming as in the short time he was here he showed flashes of petulance with his team members and Ollie. Ollie is building a team with team spirit and harmony and we have shipped out the corrosive disruptive elements, I think Maierhoofer would come in that category and as such cannot be risked.

• July 1, 2014 at 11:16

Big head we don't need you good bye.

• July 1, 2014 at 11:26

I thought the Hof looked good on the ball and had some energy, but didn't score enough goals and apparently has a dodgy attitude, so no thanks, Stefan. As for Morison, more or less the same applies as Hof but without the passing skills - he won't come back to us for the money we would offer and he is getting on a bit now anyway. We need young hungry skilfull players, not washed out has beens.

• July 1, 2014 at 11:34

After the way he treated ollie and millwall after not having a club for 6 months and then thinking he could go to the premiership, I am glad ollie and millwall have told him no chance. I think there is a lot more better aerial options out there for a lesser wage has well.

• July 1, 2014 at 11:51

@rob hearn: I completely agree with you Rob, although what good aerial options do you think are available for wages around 8k per week?

• July 1, 2014 at 11:37

@MFC Lion: This also proves what a liability agents can sometimes be to players because they are working for themselves and not their client. I hope he now stays unemployed for as long as he did last time before Ollie signed him.

• July 1, 2014 at 11:43

Well done Millwall, so nobody else wanted him so he thought I'll go back there. Well you lost your chance Charlie big potatoes, now you'll probably end up in League 2.

• July 1, 2014 at 11:50

He served his purpose last season, and helped the cause, so well done twizzle.
    But not for me in the long term, toys started flying out the pram towards the end.

Well if all else fails, it would not surprise me if he did not represent Austria in
    next years Eurovision song contest.

• July 1, 2014 at 11:55

I bet that agent is answering his phone today after this came out....the Hoff will be furious.

• July 1, 2014 at 12:07

Just out of interest, who would everyone like that 'Aerial target' type player to be? I'm assuming Wood is out of the picture which although a shame, is good as he had his chance previously and decided Leicester.

• July 1, 2014 at 12:37

@jasoncleftpallett: Can't see why Wood would want to move down a division at his stage in his career.

• July 1, 2014 at 13:08

@junkmale: That was exactly my thinking. I still think he'll make their 25 man squad as well, adds something different. Which is the same reason we would want him.

@Bush Not a bad shout regarding the Scandinavian route. Could prove to be cheap also but maybe to soon for this option until the scouting network is up and running.

• July 2, 2014 at 09:58

@junkmale: I agree with that, but if he doesn't make the 23 man squad, I bet he will want to be loaned out.

• July 1, 2014 at 12:48

@jasoncleftpallett:
      Truthfully I don't think we will find one that fits the new look squad, of hungry fresh players, as most of them are journeymen looking for a comfortable 2year wage packet, the
      Idea of a Scandinavian riged tough man, that could be cheap but effective scouting abroad, also the following from countries like Norway is decent and I think we should/could sure it up,the championship is worldwide and exciting football only my opinion.

• July 1, 2014 at 12:15

Well done ollie.He turnt us down because he thought he could do better and now that no one wants him he comes running back to us! We as a club are better than that and only want players that 100% want to be millwall players.

• July 1, 2014 at 12:28

Good call!

• July 1, 2014 at 13:08

Well well well, there's a fairly sure sign that mr holloway isn't f****** around!! The big unit hung his cock out and got it slammed in the door. I also thought he injected sum enthusiasm at a time when it was desperately needed and thank you for that big man. Best of luck but unfortunately I reckon ya gunna regret not bein part of this new journey.

• July 1, 2014 at 13:31

@bradders: Hoff was on 9k a week at the den. Even players in league 1 are not on that amount of money. I personally think someone like stevie May would be happy to sign for millwall for money like that a week

• July 1, 2014 at 14:28

@rob hearn: Stevie May is unproven at this level and in any English football, wouldn't be worth 9k a week at all as there have been a number of players and coaches (Lomas) who quickly got found out in this league although there has been the odd decent player.

Yes League 1 players would definitely like to come to us and earn 9k per week, but I don't know of any decent tall blokes in that league....

• July 2, 2014 at 23:05

@Bradders: Neither was Hoff and apart from his brace he did next to nothing impact wise. Stevie May is all heart Dave Mitchell / Alex Rae style from what I have seen on the box admittedly, a better option in my view.

• July 1, 2014 at 13:38

Hoffman who do you think you are stay away from millwall you must think IH so some kind off mug but I hear that SH is going to join as that from someone that knows NH and Scott

• July 1, 2014 at 13:42

I think he would of been a good signing but he shot himself in the foot f****** about.

• July 1, 2014 at 14:56

@bradders:
    Sam baldock
    Kieran agard
    Callum Wilson.
    Is only a few I can think of right now. After taking a gamble on lee Gregory I can't help but think one league lower down there has got to be some talent ready for the stop up with the lions.

• July 1, 2014 at 15:20

@rob hearn: These aren't big players who link up play! in fact they are the quick nimble types who I think we also need although Wilson would cost around £2mill, haven't got that money! Same with Agard as he scored 20 odd goals last season from a wide position! Sam Baldock would also cost around £750,000 but think we do need to get a bigger unit 1st of all.

A Gary Alexander, Darius Henderson type player who scores a few but mainly links up play with the wide men and other striker.

• July 1, 2014 at 15:07

Apparently I'm the only one here who thinks thats a shame. I liked him and wanted him to sign. I know he wasn't the best but he caused panic in the defence because of his size and he was a surprisingly good creator. Wish him the best of luck for the future

• July 1, 2014 at 15:24

@mfclions: I think there are a few who wouldn't have minded The Hoff here if he signed 1ST TIME AROUND, but he has f****d himself over now and I'm proud to see our club telling a player to do one after they come running back & wanting a new deal for the 2ND TIME!!

He thought he was bigger than the club (maybe in height), but nobody is bigger than Millwall!!

• July 1, 2014 at 20:28

@mfclions:
      Actually no, I agree with you.
      I quite liked him as a player and leaving aside all the injured pride and usual "Millwall through and through" nonsense the bloke tried to better himself, failed but could have done a good job.
      As it is through we have spurned a player who offered something different from what we are currently hoping against hope will work whilst having very little in the locker

• July 1, 2014 at 15:28

@mfclions: he wanted to move on to bigger and better things so good riddcnace to be honest. No is one bigger than any club and especially Millwall. If he signed when he had the chance all good but he never so time to move on and think if the future of Millwall

• July 1, 2014 at 15:46

Hof.. No one wants you.........No one wants you........... we don't care! Give yourself and agent a big slap.

• July 1, 2014 at 16:44

What a t***** premier league my a***.
    Well done IH for closing the door,don't want Moro either.
    Clean slate, new dawn & all that.

• July 1, 2014 at 18:07

@Millwallsteve: when he left no one said the door would be slammed shut on a return.which is normally the case.so its no surprise he's back with his begging bowl out..HOF HAVE YOU NO RESPECT..

• July 1, 2014 at 17:53

@MFC Lion: that's exactly what I was thinking MFC, how much of that reasoning is coming from the hoff and how much is coming from his agent...?? Would be interesting to know because the whole thing is a farce now from everybody's stand point... If money is what he's all about - what a stupid way of doing business!
    If you or I were his agent, surely you'd say - 'You're not realistically going to get in the prem - you've been out for ages. You've done a good job at millwall - why don't you stay for another season - keep earning/improving - then see where you are as a player...etc.' ??
    Instead, he now just looks like a right plonka - with no club..... talk about burning your bridges!!
    Shame really, because I thought he was a pretty useful player - and if he was fitter, could be a right handful... But f**k it - if he can't find inspiration in being part of our great escape last season - he's not the right player for us... No worries, Ollie will find someone... COYL.

• July 1, 2014 at 22:00

@bradders: IH must have someone up his sleeve. I just hope we find some pace like the young American right back looks great

• July 1, 2014 at 22:02

@bradders: IH must have someone up his sleeve. I just hope we find some pace like the young USA right back looks good.

• July 2, 2014 at 10:06

Ouch,then red devils and citizens are not interested in you??
    Have you tried with the Blaugranas and Merengues??? 😀
    Seriously, the guy had a good impact with the team,and it would be useful to have a profile like his,at last,with an adequate summer preparation would definitely be good,but I hate those guys who behave as mercenaries, so...good luck in zweiteliga, Hoff!