David Forde looking to take Millwall to the Premier League

DAVID FORDE is looking to make it a season to remember next year as he aims to push the Lions to the promised land of the Premier League.

The Galway-born stopper recently put pen-to-paper on a new three-year contract and has revealed how he turned down other offers to embark on his top-flight quest with Millwall.

The 34-year-old was reportedly attracting interest from QPR and Crystal Palace, but the six-year Den veteran has no regrets about committing his future to the Lions.

"My new challenge now is to get to the next level," Forde told the Southwark News.

"I've always stated that I want to play in the Premier League, and I would love nothing more than to do it with Millwall.

"That's my next challenge: I want to get to the Premier League with Millwall.

"The manager and the chairman have similar beliefs, and hopefully we can achieve them someday soon.

"There were a few clubs whose offers were there or thereabouts, but I'm glad of getting my Millwall deal done.

"It took a few weeks over the summer because we couldn’t really speak until we were safe, and with me being away on international duty it was hard to get it sorted and organised.

"But I told the manager a few months ago that I wanted to stay and I knew we would stay up."

Forde was an integral member of the Lions squad that secured Championship survival on the final day of last season.

And the Lions' Player of the Year says the sudden turnaround under boss Ian Holloway convinced him to sign on.

Forde explained: "He was the main deciding factor in me staying at the club. He was excellent on that front and that's the reason why I stayed.

"He firmly believes we can get promoted.

"Holloway's a very good manager and he's up there with the best I've worked with.

"He gets it right in all departments on the pitch – the way he's got us tougher as a team is excellent.

"The way he handles players, the way he speaks to them and his man management are top drawer."

The Lions return for pre-season training this week and Forde is confident that Millwall will be in the right frame of mind after a summer of upheaval in 2013.

"It's a very positive mind-set because after Kenny Jackett's regime we struggled," he said.

"We went into the Steve Lomas era with a lot of new faces and a lot of new players, so this year we're more optimistic.

"We put a good run together at the back of last year with four wins and four draws and that has given us a lot of hope.

"With Ian Holloway in place I think it will be a successful year."

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

23 thoughts on “David Forde looking to take Millwall to the Premier League

• June 23, 2014 at 08:35

Hope you realise your dream Fordey. It's not beyond us, we all know how tough this league is, but with belief, hard work and a couple more signings then you never know.

• June 23, 2014 at 08:42

@harry2310: fordey done us proud last season..apart from 2 bad months..hope he can sort this..& be consistent all season

• June 23, 2014 at 09:00

Same old pre season s*** about premier league etc etc.
    We're buying conference players!!
    Reality check will hit us after the first half dozen games.

Survival is priority.

• June 23, 2014 at 09:10

@Millwallsteve: that's the spirit mate, a nice bit of positivity before the season starts!!!!!!!
      Get behind the team, don't be so negative!!!

• June 23, 2014 at 09:11

@Millwallsteve: regretfully I agree, let's hope the kid from halifax turns out well but we've got away with it for the last two seasons and our squad isn't stronger as it stands, nailed on to struggle I'm afraid .

• June 23, 2014 at 09:16

@thecolumbusblock: I'll be happy with a mid-table finish this season - anything else will be a bonus. The squad is better than relegation material, but we're still a long way short of top six quality at the moment.

• June 23, 2014 at 14:44

@Micky Lions: As Chris Waddle said after the England match the other day, it isn't who is in your team, but how the team plays that it often the decider. Our squad was good enough last season and will be better next season, but Holloway knows how to get a team to play and that will be the difference.

• June 23, 2014 at 09:19

@Millwallsteve: Unfortunatly we do not have the money to compete at the higher end of the transfer market,Though it has not worked how we would have liked,JB has spent money last year,so untill we start getting another 3,000 in the ground on a regular basis,we will have the need to take chances on player's from the lower league's.
      So untill thing's pan out lets be optimistic not pessimistic,then we can pass opinion's on how thing's are going.
      Personally i think buying Lee Gregory is a gamble well worth taking,and i will have every thing crossed in the hope he crack's it in the championship.

• June 23, 2014 at 09:00

Let's not do an England & hype ourselves up. Let's just work hard & results will take care of themselves.

• June 23, 2014 at 09:01

One of our true TOP PLAYERS, that's the way David F. We want Confidence in the team. (NOLU, WDC).

• June 23, 2014 at 09:03

I also hope you realise your dream,for our sake as well as your's.
    IH has said that all the player's will start the season with a clean slate,so us fan's need to remember this,and support the individual player's whether we like them or not.That mean's no booing of Bywater if he need's to stand in for fordy for any reason.
    Remember it's the club we are supporting.so let us all support who ever wear's the shirt for a game.

• June 23, 2014 at 09:44

@jim1222: olly can do wot he likes..& forgive...main reason he has to cos all the mugs are still under contract...they got alot to prove to the fans before any forgiveness

• June 23, 2014 at 22:17

@jim1222: ill do exactly that, just like I have for many years now. I just hope that the players do the same thing and remember the lion they wear on their chest....

COYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• June 23, 2014 at 09:15

Life is beautiful because everything is possible and no one can stop us from dreaming, so ... I believe it!
    COYL!!!

• June 23, 2014 at 09:47

How can everyone say about another 3,000 fans at the den when they ban people for swearing when it's football if course people swear. Stop keep making excuses has if we has the money we would spend it but we don't. The gates our for revenue nothing more it does not go towards the funds for spending next season!!!

• June 23, 2014 at 12:25

Like the drummer in the band , it all starts at the back fordey. Good luck mate let's kick some a***.

• June 23, 2014 at 12:53

@grassgrower: Yes, I like that Grassgrower! Nice one.

• June 23, 2014 at 14:06

Could you imagine.... Good to dream.

• June 23, 2014 at 22:19

@Big Millwall: just 1 season up there would do me, get to go to some grounds I've not been to for many a year.......

• June 23, 2014 at 15:20

Isn't it amazing, every player that we have signed and even current players that have re-newer contracts have ALL mentioned, that the main reason for signing was OLLIE!
    This mans got to get some credit from us fans for that alone! How many managers have we had in the past that have had that influence on players?

• June 23, 2014 at 15:23

I think millwallsteve has got it right. We have not signed Lionel Messi, but a conference striker. Like Moro or Bomber he might turn out to be the dogs..... but we must be realistic. I really dont think promotion is an option for us, certainly this season, but s..t happens.A season of consolidation and who knows what Ollies players and tactics can achieve. Boringly, I do think its best to err on the side of caution, and not get to carried away before a ball has been kicked in anger. Having said that I am far less apprehensive than I was at the start of last season under Lomarse .

• June 23, 2014 at 17:05

I wish people would stop mentioning the Premier League and promotion. After the last few seasons, if someone offered me 14th and safe in March I'd take it. We aren't suddenly going to transform from a relegation candidate to a Premier League club, yes I think we'll have a good season but nothing spectacular and that would suit me just fine!

• June 23, 2014 at 19:49

Am I on a different site. Loads of people saying we should look in the lower leagues for hungry strikers, and when we do get slagged off for no ambition. Make your minds up. I doubt Gregory is a mug, holloway ain't that stupid so let's look forward to a better season ahead and see where it takes us. I bet if Fordey had come out and said mid table obscurity would be good he would have got pelters