Holloway relishing Jackett's Millwall return with Wolves

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

IAN Holloway is relishing Kenny Jackett's return to The Den on October 18 when Millwall take on Wolves.

Jackett stepped down as Lions boss after five-and-a-half years last summer, after deciding the club needed to go in a new direction.

Now in charge at Molineux, Jackett was initially replaced by Steve Lomas, whose tenure in SE16 lasted just six months, before Holloway was appointed in January.

And Holloway is looking forward to a reunion with his long-term friend, who convinced him to take over in SE16 following Lomas' sacking.

"Kenny is a huge part of why I came here," Holloway said.

"I'm going to try to take us forward from where he brought us, and I'm going to grab it and go forward if I can.

"Kenny knows I appreciate how supportive the chairman is, so I will be looking forward to coming up against him.

"He has his own responsibilities now and when we do take each other on, as always, he will be trying to beat me and I'll be trying to beat him."

Holloway added: "Kenny and I have always been great friends. We worked closely at QPR during a terrible time.

"He was loyal, honest and hard working. Kenny deserves to be where he is now.

"I'll be delighted to welcome him back to The Den – he's a wonderful man.

"I thank him for letting me pick up a club that's got a chance to move forward, which is largely down to his enthusiasm.

"I'm delighted that we will be facing each other in this division, it's a tremendous league to be in."

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

32 thoughts on “Holloway relishing Jackett's Millwall return with Wolves

• June 24, 2014 at 11:44

... but an even better league to get out of!

• June 24, 2014 at 11:49

@junkmale: Realistically, we don't have the support or infrastructure to survive in the Premiership. I'm more than happy to see Millwall do well in the Championship playing attacking football, enjoying the odd cup run and absorb watching and supporting a very unique club.

• June 24, 2014 at 12:18

@NICKOLA: But just one season is enough for me and beating one or two big boys along the way.Big financial gain as well if you do not go mad.

• June 24, 2014 at 12:54

@NICKOLA: I went to virtually every single match when we were last in the top flight (i.e. the old Division 1 in the 88/89 and 89/90 seasons). Can tell you first hand that IF we ever get back to what is obviously the premiership now, it will be a very special experience even if we do get dumped on and come straight back down. The (away) grounds, the thrill of it all ... would be unforgettable. I'd swap your vision for mine, any day. I don't care if we "don't have the support or infrastructure to survive" at the moment. It would be a darn site better than the last 2 seasons. Other clubs have gone up and down again and survived ok - Hull, Burnley, Leicester to name but a few. There again, you have the likes of Portsmouth, Wolves, Sheffield United, Bolton who haven't done so well. However, you don't know what the coffee is like till you've tasted it - smelling it gives you a clue, but supping it is the aim of the game. Same goes for promotion to the PL. Hoping for more good times at the Den under Ollie. Come on you Lions!

• June 24, 2014 at 12:55

@robsep2b: That was meant to be a reply to JUNKMALE! Clicked on the wrong "reply" button...

• June 24, 2014 at 13:12

@robsep2b: Yep, I did the same and that first season was magical. Will stay with me forever. Second season, we were down by Christmas and not so good memories. At the time of promotion, that Millwall team was and still is the best I've ever seen. I can still recite the team. If we can get players on that level playing for us then you never know. I just wouldn't want to witness what's happened to Portsmouth etc.

• June 24, 2014 at 22:13

@robsep2b: Well said I remember us being in the old 1st division and the excitement the crowd the top players being top of the league etc , let's hope for it all again.

• June 24, 2014 at 13:45

@NICKOLA: I'd be happy to do it the gradual way, like Palace have done it in the past. We do have a problem with fan base, as we are hemmed in on all sides, but that will come if we win - it certainly did the last time we were in the top flight. I think the club is structured a lot better than it was then and if you look a the money now being spent on facilities like the training pitches we are getting better all the time.

• June 24, 2014 at 12:05

I hope we all give Kenny a great reception for helping to pull us through some difficult times. Especially in the beginning

• June 24, 2014 at 12:20

@Windsor Lion: I am sure he will get the reception he deserves.He gained a lot of respect for what he achieved and the dignity by how he left.

• June 24, 2014 at 12:41

@Windsor Lion: let's hope he only plays one up like he did for us in the end. Love the bloke but in the end he was clueless. Needed a new lease if life . Looking forward to this home and away.

• June 24, 2014 at 14:18

Clueless? I am a Wolves fan, an older one at that, and I rate Holloway. I am chuffed he came to you. I thought Jackett did well at Millwall and can't understand you saying he was clueless. He realised the club needed to to be taken in a different direction and he left. He has done amazing stuff at Wolves and at times has played with one up front because one up front was what was needed. Over 9 club records have been broken last season with him in charge - far from clueless in my eyes. I wish Millwall all the best in our meetings,and for their season, but feel we will have the edge.

All the best and good luck.

• June 24, 2014 at 20:53

@Windsor Lion: im gonna give jacket absolute dogs when wolves roll up. but under my breath a little cheer.

• June 24, 2014 at 12:19

I will be on my feet singing his name at least once when he comes back with Wolves.
    I have nothing but respect for the man. A class act in my opinion. I think he will get a fantastic reception from the classy Millwall faithful. The fact that he persuaded Holloway to come here is the icing on the cake regarding his legacy for me. Looking forward to seeing you Kenny.

• June 24, 2014 at 20:22

@wall2wall: "I think he will get a fantastic reception from the classy Millwall faithful". I hope so. I do hope he doesn't pick up on the individuals with any excuse for letting off for no productive reason at all.

• June 24, 2014 at 20:35

@SE14:
        Dont quite understand what you mean in your last sentence?
        Go again please mate.

• June 25, 2014 at 15:28

@wall2wall: there may be a few individuals in the crowd shouting rubbish that Jackett may hear, though the overall reception will be positive. That's how I read it anyway.

• June 25, 2014 at 17:04

@MFC Lion:
            Cheers Lion. I see it now.
            Thanks.

• June 25, 2014 at 17:07

@SE14:
        My apologies for not understanding SE14.
        I think that anything negative aimed at Jackett will be drowned out by the majority although everyone's opinion is valid. It is one of the fixtures I am looking forward to most.
        Cheers.

• June 24, 2014 at 12:23

Ollie you can be nice and have a drink with hime after wards but make sure he leaves the ground empty handed, I am sure we will all give him a cheer and a clap, but its Millwall that counts so just remember that.

• June 24, 2014 at 12:33

Yes, we liked Kenny G, he did quite a lot for us at MFC , plus came over and chatted with us fans on many occasions on our travels around the country. ( NOLU, WDC ) .

• June 24, 2014 at 12:36

@BUSHWACKER14: ( Kenny J. ......sorry pressed the wrong button ).

• June 24, 2014 at 12:37

KJ one of the best deserves a good reception and im sure he will get it. And it was KJ who convinced Ollie to give us a shout.
    One of his better moves Lol.

• June 24, 2014 at 12:42

@MIGHTY: all the same I hope we ruin his weekend .... Twice.

• June 25, 2014 at 15:30

@Lincolnshire Lion: let's hope so. If the man doesn't get a good reception then there is no hope for any of our ex managers lol.

• June 24, 2014 at 12:59

Nothing but good things to say about KJ. 3 trips to wembley happy days. Off topic just wondered wots the apple with Webster

• June 24, 2014 at 13:16

@block 28: Signed according to Website.

• June 24, 2014 at 13:23

By the way, the photo shows the punchline about N'Guessen.

• June 24, 2014 at 14:55

I for one will be showing KJ the respect he deserves!
    On another note, I am currently on business in Malaysia and have been watching the World Cup in various bars and have repeatedly been asked 'who do you support'?
    I cannot believe how many people know and respect our Millwall! Makes me feel so proud!
    And that's why our club is so special! Just a reminder to us shall! We're not and never will be Man UTD but everybody knows us were called MILLWALL!

• June 24, 2014 at 15:33

@J-One: It matters not who you support my friend. I have travelled quite wide and far in my 57 years on this planet and I have seen numerous people clad in shirts of so many different clubs, clubs not like Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, but clubs like Blackpool, Millwall, Wolves, even Yeovil and MK Dons! It is brilliant. As a Wolves fan, I hear the response when asked who I support, Oh wow they are a big club. That is not really true. We WERE a big club, but we are finding our feet again. I class us as a Championship side, along with Millwall and others. Can't wait to get down to the Den, I must admit, I have not yet been there (Sorry! but time and work has now allowed that to happen - YET!)

Regards

• June 24, 2014 at 20:07

@SteveLBiles: we drink in the Foristers before the game ,,,, Will be glad to buy you a pint ,,,, you like us have seen the good times & more bad times ,,, this is what supporting our clubs is all about ,, not m u f c or arsenal or the other up there own a*** so called top clubs ,,, apart from our games ,,, wish you all the best ,,,, C O Y L ,,,, N O L U

• June 25, 2014 at 09:22

Geoff Newbound where are you my Wolves loving Friend ???? long time no speak. If any Wolves fans out there know him please point him in my direction....Many thanks.