Millwall boss Ollie looking to control squad size next season

©

IAN Holloway wants to control the size of his squad next season.

Last year, Millwall used a total of 42 players, the joint-most in the Championship along with Blackpool.

Promoted Burnley used the fewest with 25 – 17 less than the Lions – so Holloway says he is looking for squad continuity ahead of the new campaign.

"I don't want to add too many to the squad," he said.

"Otherwise you get spoilt for choice, you get a backlog of players and it doesn't really help others break into the squad.

"I want to use a lot less players than we did last year, to be more committed to the players we have and have a bit more competition."

Holloway added: "I want us to be more of a nailed-down squad to work on we do and how we do it so they understand their jobs.

"There needs to be a bit more continuity for them rather than chopping and changing all the time.

"If you look at the last few games, we didn't change that many players. I picked a team and didn't have to change too much."

With Stefan Maierhofer and Simeon Jackson leaving the club and Steve Morison returning to parent club Leeds, Holloway admits he needs to bolster his attacking options.

He explained: "I would like a few options for different teams we are playing against and I'm looking at the height in the forward area now.

"I haven’t brought in Lee Gregory to deal with the ball back to front; he's going to float off and around someone like that.

"I've lost Morison who's gone back to Leeds – who knows what’s happening with them – so I have to look at different options to get the balance right.

"I feel that with how we finished last year, I have a couple of other things I'm looking for.

"Then I'll be more than happy to start and then leave it to the loan market if I need anything else.

"I’m very pleased with how things are going, and hopefully we will be all settled and ready to go.

"The club is looking good and the pitches are already ready to train on when the boys are back next Thursday.

"The tests are ready to do on Thursday and Friday and then they are off Saturday before we fly to Portugal on Sunday.

"Hopefully I will have the nucleus of the squad prepared."

90 thoughts on “Millwall boss Ollie looking to control squad size next season

• June 20, 2014 at 10:09

proofs in the pud! you only have to look at burnley and leicester to see that. all the right things are happening at wall now, so excited for the new season. especially seeing as england are f****** SHIIIIIIIIIITE!!!!! COYL!

• June 20, 2014 at 10:17

"I have a couple of other things I'm looking for..."
    Good. You're speaking my kind of language Ollie!!

• June 20, 2014 at 10:17

All makes sense to me, if you look over the last few seasons when we have had a good run of results, it's has always been when we haven't had to change the side too much. Obviously sometimes you are forced into changing things but making four or five changes every game only unsettles things.

• June 20, 2014 at 10:24

No coincidence that Millwall/Blackpool used most players- and both struggled.
    Burnley great example of settled team done well - although you have to be lucky with injuries/suspensions.
    I have a great idea of having a smaller squad - get rid of the s**t.lol

• June 20, 2014 at 10:41

I wish Hodgson would make sense, another clown England manager, You think he might have thought about someone marking Suarez throughout the game? You thought he would have played two recognised strikers forward instead of three getting in each others way. Same old England same old story. Thanks heavens for Millwall.

• June 20, 2014 at 11:25

@Peckhamlad: I said before tournament England would not get out of group,so no surprise we have struggled.It would be funny though if Uruguay also fail to get out of group after celebrating last night as if was a done deal.

• June 20, 2014 at 10:41

Must say Ollie I think that there are 10,000 supporters who could have told you and the board that, at times last season I thought we had an American football team with the amount of players that were coming in.

Get rid of the dross and maybe try to get a couple of key playes in with the money saved by reducing the wage bill for those who have come down for one last good pay day lets say goodbye like the England team did last night, August 9th not long now.

• June 20, 2014 at 10:51

Anyone want Morrison back? Personally, I think he could do well in a team that passes the ball, but his attitiude towards the end of the season was not great, he seemed dissinterested and so low on confidence.

• June 20, 2014 at 11:10

@glyngo: NO lazy c@@t, there are a lot better than him.

• June 20, 2014 at 11:39

@glyngo: No way would I want him back. We created decent chances all season, even when we were being thrashed, and he didn't put them away.

• June 21, 2014 at 07:36

@glyngo: I've always been a Morison fan and still think he would be a useful player to have, especially in a more settled squad. Put it this way - I'd pick Morro over Easter all day long - and over Mcd, although Mcd did show better effort towards the end. I agree to some extent with the negative comments about him - yes, he isn't as clinical as he used to be (but still more clinical than Easter & Mcd!) - but when he wasn't scoring, he was still pretty useful on the wing. On his form dropping off at the end of the season - yes, I saw that as well - but IMHO I think this is because he ran himself ragged - being probably the most consistent starter from our strikers... Anyway, we ain't got him no more so who cares!? But on a side issue, he ain't been the same since he went to Norwich - I reckon the inbreds interfered with him!

• June 20, 2014 at 10:54

Heres a club v country question, would u rather millwall go up to premier or england win the world cup ? Answers on a postcard please

• June 20, 2014 at 11:02

@thecolumbusblock: Millwall go up. Simply because unless there's some radical changes in English football, England will never win anything. While I'm on the subject, does anyone know why Wellbeck plays for England? If the thinking is that there's no-one better, then play Sturridge and Rooney up front with the extra man in midfield. Oh, a bit like the last two games with subs then ffs. Anyway, World Cup is over for England. Watching Millwall next season will offer a much better proposition of seeing some decent football.

• June 20, 2014 at 11:08

@NICKOLA: Quote "Luis Suarez is not yet a world-class player"
        Roy Hodgson 16th June 2014.

• June 20, 2014 at 11:23

@Peckhamlad: he played on one leg,unfit after an operation,if roy hodgson does not think him a world class player,what does that say about england,
          USELESS

• June 20, 2014 at 11:18

@thecolumbusblock: no brainer that one Lions in the prem for me.
      Millwall are my bread and butter and am a moody c*** for about a day after we lose, with England it's about 10 mins !!!

• June 20, 2014 at 16:53

@thecolumbusblock:
      There is only one answer, I would rather watch the reserves play than England.

• June 20, 2014 at 23:23

@thecolumbusblock: hey Columbus, I'd rather australia played a full strength England at the Melbourne cricket ground with millwall playing west ham on the same card, you guys all come over and we,l have a few glasses of milk at the cricketers arms pub next to the ground before kick off!

• June 21, 2014 at 08:02

@thecolumbusblock: Millwall in the prem - No doubt! The away games would be EPIC!!

• June 21, 2014 at 19:13

@thecolumbusblock: No brainier that one Columbus Millwall premiership.....COYL

• June 20, 2014 at 11:07

I still dont think we are strong enough for a playoff push. Definitely not gonna be a nightmare season like last as we are keeping some consistency but our defence is slow and aging and i dont exactly rate our potential signing Webster. The Yeovil manager has dismissed Millwall are close to signing him anyway but who knows. The Right Back area is also lacking, i wonder if Hoyte is staying hahaha. Wish we kept Lowry as a CB cos Shittu is about 90, Robinson is not the same player since his injury (injuries), Beevers is ok and maybe that young chap Goodman will stake a claim this season?!
    My wish list would be:
    - A decent backup for Forde
    - A young but experienced centre back (someone like Ake from Chelsea)
    - A young pacey right back
    - A pacey winger that can pay on either flank
    - A striker to play a role like Paul Moody did for Neil Harris

• June 20, 2014 at 11:20

@sketchybean: A very good post and I cannot argue with almost all your points.

• June 20, 2014 at 11:26

@sketchybean: I have a feeling we will see carlos edwards at right back this season,but like longfield lion i agree with your points.

• June 23, 2014 at 11:46

@jim1222: I know, but I want a young lad in to push Edwards for a start. Edwards surely wont be able to play every game and at his age will be susceptible the niggles etc.

• June 22, 2014 at 00:37

@sketchybean:
      " My wish list would be:
      - A young pacey right back "
      ...
      We have one already, Joshua Siafa.
      Josh was probably the most consistent player for the development squad last year, and he has already formed a very effective understanding with Fred when attacking down the right flank. I'd expect the two of them to gain a little match experience this season, then become starters in 2015/16.
      Similar playing style to Ryan Fredericks, defensively he is still developing, but has all the speed in the world to overcome the odd mistake here and there, and going forwards will create chances and chip in with some goals too.
      I believe some (small) part of the reason for signing Carlos Edwards despite his age was to provide a professional role model for young Josh Siafa... Ollie has said himself that Edwards, much like Jermaine Easter and Jimmy Abdou, set the standard for training and professionalism, and any youngsters who want to break into the first squad MUST match these players for effort.

LEFT Back is a problem though, after Scott Malone there is really no option other than Jack Bender, who really isn't the type of fullback Ollie wants to use, he is more like Alan Dunne, Tony Craig, Andy Frampton or Robbie Ryan really. He actually looks a good "Millwall Type Defender" and Jack suited Kenny Jackett's flat back four style pretty well but will need to change his style somewhat for Ollie's system, and that might set back his development somewhat.
      Other than Bender, its Beevers or Williams playing out of position, either option would weaken us at two spots, and would also not be a good fit for Ollie's system.
      I wouldn't be at all surprised if we signed a young left back , but considering we need at least one more wide player in the squad, a younger Left Winger/Wing Back type could be an efficient use of a loan.

• June 20, 2014 at 11:14

"Roy Hodgson was asked if he would go 4-4-2 he relied no I will go 7 -4- 7 it is wider and has more leg room"

• June 20, 2014 at 11:16

On a different thread, on the millwall website an article on tim cahill saying he got his heart at millwall.
    thT Mn is a true millwall legend.

• June 20, 2014 at 11:18

@jim1222: THAT MAN,sorry my lap top is p*****

• June 20, 2014 at 11:52

As crap as some of our play was last night the world cup is not over for England. If Italy beat Costa Rica and Uruguay, then a victory against Costa Rica will do. Would like the Italians to win by at least a couple tonight. Yes we could be out by tonight but if Italy win then the fight for second place is wide open. Let me cast your minds back to the beginning of April when most thought Millwall was down and needed a miracle to stay up. Well, we did it. It's not over yet.

• June 20, 2014 at 12:21

@wall2wall: I admire your optimism! I agree, I think the team is playing well in large parts, but they are making silly defensive errors and not putting away chances. Remind you of anyone? Maybe Hodgson shouldgive Ollie a call and ask him how he turned us around

• June 20, 2014 at 12:26

@junkmale:
        I think holloway would do a better job than Hodgson but dont tell the FA.

• June 20, 2014 at 14:50

@wall2wall: Can't see them employing him through, with the mouth he's got.

• June 20, 2014 at 12:21

@wall2wall: 'clutching at straws' as Gerard put it. (Nice flick on to Suarez!)

But as you so rightly say with 8 games to go we looked doomed and England only need 3 games to go in their favour.

Italy to do their bit and us to lose 2-1 to Costa Rica, it's our preferred score.

• June 20, 2014 at 12:27

@MFC Lion:
        I just want us to at least have another chance however slim on Tuesday.
        Italy 2-0 tonight please.

• June 20, 2014 at 14:18

@wall2wall: After today's Italy/Costa Rica game Kenneth Wolstenholme's famous 1966 World Cup comment will apply "THEY THINK IT'S ALL OVER, IT IS NOW"!!!

• June 20, 2014 at 15:28

@denslions:
        I personally think the Italians will win. With Costa Rica and Uruguay on the same points as them they really need a victory tonight and I would be shocked if they didn't get it.
        We will find out in a few hours from now. 2-0 Italy for me.
        If anyone on here likes a bet England are 5/1 to qualify now. If Italy win tonight that price will probably be halved. Worth a punt maybe before tonights kick off.

• June 20, 2014 at 16:38

@wall2wall: @wall2wall: i agree with your quotation that until 18:45 hrs England are not out , but lets be honest is there any point in going on !!! as always we all hope England do well but lets be truthfull here did anyone expect us to get out of the group stages - bring on Aug 9th & leeds

• June 20, 2014 at 17:13

@Jingles:
        Agreed, I personally did not think we would qualify from the group stage but I would still take us getting through to the knockout stages no matter what might happen.
        Bring on Leeds indeed. Dream opener for me.

• June 21, 2014 at 13:38

@wall2wall: oh well no kiss from the queen for Mario! How could Italy be so poor? Too tired after the England game perhaps (yeh right).

Question now is do we want Italy or Uruguay to go through?

• June 20, 2014 at 12:18

I thought England played well over both games.. Just cant see teams off when it matters.. better then the dross of world cup 2010 and euro 2012.. anyway godin should have been sent off so the game would have swung our way dramatically..

• June 20, 2014 at 12:32

@SLloyd23:
      I think that the sending off would of made things harder for us. We were losing 1- 0 and they would of put everyone bar Suarez behind the ball and I dont think we would of scored.
      It was funny watching the game with some non Millwall fans and seeing them cursing the ref and saying how unfair it was. We have to put up with that week in and week out . The difference is that we can handle it.

• June 20, 2014 at 20:12

@SLloyd23: The facts are that two countries with a combined population smaller than London produce two teams that are high quality, well organised and with a passion that outmatch England. Hodgson has to go, his tactics were hopeless, why is that John Terry and Ashley Cole turned it in Lampard was left out. The whole England set up is crap, the FA needs to be sunk without trace and a new organisation formed with younger people and players in charge instead of the old establishment blimps that are there now.
      Anyway Millwall is my priority I sense IH has a xouple more signings in mind

• June 20, 2014 at 21:26

@Peckhamlad: ...............Population of London is only 1/50th English !!!

• June 20, 2014 at 23:18

@frank: Where's your evidence from?

• June 21, 2014 at 10:13

@Peckhamlad: @frank: Where's your evidence from? ................from my window !

• June 21, 2014 at 08:45

@frank: the actual figures of people living within the m25 are 53% ethnic 47% white british.

• June 21, 2014 at 15:59

@TONY BLOCK28: Government figures ? OK then must be true. Yes ?

• June 21, 2014 at 07:56

@Peckhamlad: Ashley Cole should've been there, can't remember which pundit said it - Wrighty? - but I was in total agreement - 'Cole is probably in the top 3 of LBs if not the best LB in the world'. (Malone 2nd!) With players like Terry and Rio past it, and not in the squad- Cole would've brought some much needed experience and stability. Terry is still a great defender, but it was right to leave him out, purely for team morale- too much controversy around him.

• June 20, 2014 at 12:28

Exactly, if that had been Brazil, Godin would have been sent off. All a fix, England don't get big decisions for us. I thought England been more positive than ever.. But agree the defence is shakey but no point bringing terry and cole, got to look to the future not the past

• June 21, 2014 at 13:42

@SLloyd23: needs to give the rest of the squad a chance in the last game. Nothing at stake, don't care if we lose, some World Cup experience for players that wouldn't have featured short of injuries to the supposed best XI.

• June 20, 2014 at 13:23

I'm sure we had that ref against Brighton last season.......or was it just every phucking match ?

• June 20, 2014 at 13:27

I understand what IH aims are to use less players,we always seem to have more injuries than anyone else and they take longer to recover. Hence we have to cover these players. Also we have to many players who are just there to earn wages and who are not really first team material. But if a few results go against us it's tempting to give them a run out. We must try and off load these but I fear no one wants them even on loan

• June 20, 2014 at 13:37

I hope we don't get charged more to watch our lions play once he starts plugging away to bang in the goals.
    Do you think he will get the credit for any ohm goals ????
    Watts the odds for promotion now...anyone?
    How flexible is he ?
    I think we have phucked all the headline writers for next season in just a couple of hours,
    COME ON YOU LIONSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• June 20, 2014 at 18:33

Big big problem getting rid of our unwanted list, they can dig their high heels in, sit on their fat arses & watch thw money roll in. I do hope mr holloway makes some of their lives very uncomfortable & forces them out!

• June 20, 2014 at 21:41

As for England, the English team died when the Premier league was born !
    'Big' clubs with too much money to spend on cheap foreign imports rather than concentrating on developing the young talent already on the doorstep. Result : First eleven that does not function as a combined unit. Ring any bells with MFC last year and all the journeymen, has-beens, hangers on & over-paid loans etc ?

• June 20, 2014 at 21:44

@frank: ....Should read .....(National First Eleven) !

• June 20, 2014 at 22:13

So, England out. A blessing in disguise in my opinion. We pay these people on a weekly basis more than most of us earn in years. Money aside, because they get paid what we all contribute towards ie: Sky, replica kits, merchandising, promotional work etc. and you can't blame them for taking it. I would.
    The real issue is not having a FIFA rule whereby 75% percentage of home grown players are in the squads. That still allows for overseas players to come in but does then concentrate on English players for example, working under the best managers. Talking of which, how many Premiership managers are actually English? And what does all that tell you about English football in general?
    Answer-Absolute crap. I'd rather watch Millwall in the Championship or a Sunday game in the park to get a semblence of the enjoyment that Football brings than watch another English manager trying to work with English players who are so far technically out of their depth it's an embarassment.

• June 20, 2014 at 22:32

@NICKOLA: 100% a blessing Nic. We are so far behind the rest it is untrue. We could pull it apart all day but the fact that the Premier League generates more money than ever yet grass roots funding is being cut is a disgrace. England will not compete until things change and the government sort it out.

I don't even get upset anymore tbh. Bunch of rich players who for no fault of their own are so overpaid its impossible for them to play for their lives, for their badge, for their legacy because in the end of the day it does not really matter anymore.

It's the equivalent of a band, the first album is written whilst poor and hungry therefore the songs and message is raw and resonates with the audience. The second consists of the left overs of the first and a sprinkling of new yet still naive thought processes. The third, the difficult third is written when ego takes over, when money is no issue and singing from the heart is impossible and it shows.

• June 20, 2014 at 22:52

@JonnyBanks: Good points. I have watched our loss against Uruguay again. Sucker for punishment. Forget about the referee, who I genuinely thought had a good game. What we should be doing is trying to get an understanding as to how we have become so far behind other International teams. The answers are too numerous to go into here but for me the absolute truth is that English players have two feet, two hands and one head. Bit like the players they're lined up against at kick-off then, but there the similarities end. I watched the Uruguayan defence, bloody good and their midfield overran us but then for some reason we played Wellbeck up front rather than an extra midfielder. That game was a 'can not lose game' and yet we play the same eleven that lost to Italy, and continue with Wellbeck who has no first touch, and does a 'dying swan routine' anytime anyone comes near him. Hopefully, the team that plays the last game will see some fresh blood. I'd rather see us lose 0-5 now we're out than witness another leaden footed approach.
        I'm off now to get my coaching badges or win the lottery to gain some influence and get rid of these dinosaurs who run English football- Given, I can only use what I've got but that's my point. They're not good enough and it HAS to change.

• June 20, 2014 at 23:56

@NICKOLA: we played better in our games than the swirs who struggled against equador & taken apart by france..this is a team who is seeded above us (wot a joke)..we have a young side who will only get better..saying that this is the first england coach to go for youth..i applaud him for that..

• June 21, 2014 at 11:30

@NICKOLA: just for balance id like to say i totally disagree, most of our young players are now technically as good as most in this world cup, sturridge, sterling, lallana, barclay, oxlade, walcott , these are not players in the old english style, tragically the threat that we carry is negated by the worst defence in living memory , not sure woy can remedy it .

• June 21, 2014 at 11:43

@thecolumbusblock: The players you mention should now be playing the next game. Walcott was a loss to the squad but now is the time to drop Gerrard, Welbeck and co. and blood the new future of England. As for the defence, Hodgson deemed them the best we had though why the best left back we've had for decades was left behind is anyone's guess. The only way to improve is to bring in the younger players, let them gel and we'll see what develops. Might see a couple of changes next game but not the wholesale ones I think we all want.

• June 21, 2014 at 07:57

I actually enjoyed the Italy game, as I thought for the first time in many years we were going in the right direction. We kept the ball better than we have done in most games I can remember and dominated the second half. Downside was poor cover for Baines that led to the second goal. Got a bit desperate towards the end but other than that it was encouraging. Then comes the Uruguay game. Sterling was totally ineffective, Welbeck was nowhere to be seen, and Gerrard, a pet hate of mine, showed his age and has to retire from International football. Still think we have a bright future and will be better placed for 2016/2018 competitions, but now looking forward to the Lions campaign

• June 21, 2014 at 08:05

@beedoscores: Gerrard is completely over rated Beedo, always has been and now he is a has been.

• June 21, 2014 at 18:54

@beedoscores: Didn't think we would do great in the world cup, but I really thought we could make it out of the group stages. Totally agree that we will be better placed in 2016/18.
      On paper, we've got an exciting group of attacking players - but they need to mature physically and the defense especially needs to mature in making us hard to beat.
      Looking back on both games, I thought we weren't too bad technically going forward - we put both sides under pressure for long periods. In a different group we might've done better- we looked better than a good few teams.
      But ultimately, I think we were beaten by 2 experienced teams who were used to playing together and were physically stronger than us overall. Our back 4 doesn't really compare to some of the names we've had in the past - G.Neville, Sol Campbell, Tony Adams, S.Pearce, A.Cole, Rio.F and J.Terry (before the media circus)... Experience counts in defense.
      Also agree on Gerrard, shows moments of brilliance, but there's been so many times where everyone watching is saying "what a f**king waste" or my personal favorite "who the f**k was that to?!?"
      Oh well, in the meantime, looking forward to see who else IH can tempt to sign - a pacey right winger and a tall clinical striker will do nicely! COY (millwall) L...

• June 21, 2014 at 21:15

@Luke ColdBlow10: Totally agree Luke. I argue with people all the time about Gerrard, he gives the ball away so often its painful, especially when the commentators say nothing but if another player did the same they slaughter them. Still, onwards and upwards, another striker, hopefully get another CB, winger and we are on our way.

• June 21, 2014 at 08:01

Hodgson 'giving youth a chance' is a total lie. The young players are there on merit and hold their own in the Premiership playing with and against the World's best week in week out. Shaw was his only truly young selection and he got that wrong, leaving behind a World class left back.
    There is an opportunity now to build a younger, fearless and forward thinking squad that barring a complete disaster will walk into a 24 team European Championships finals. Any player older than 28 should now be ditched, Baines, Jagielka, Gerrard, Lampard, Foster, Johnson, Lambert. Those on the cusp need to reassessed to see if they are truly talented enough to be international footballers, Hart, Cahill, Milner, Rooney. This will probably give us up to ten squad spots that are up for grabs for new talent to make their mark. IMO this will reinvigorate the England set up.
    Manager? I'd be bold and go for Gary Neville. Already involved, grew up through the Man Utd youth set up, he knows how a young team grows together, and has vast experience of international football.

• June 21, 2014 at 08:46

@lion.ie: watched the game in a pub there was a few anorak fans having a giggle cos we got a non league player..so i pointed out to em that the last non league player put 3 goals past yer (that shut the morons up).so lee a hatrick against cafc would be nice

• June 21, 2014 at 08:56

A few comments about England here and I wonder what the chances of either, or even both, Jackett and Holloway will one day being England managers.

• June 21, 2014 at 09:18

@SE14: Only if their respective teams are playing in the Premiership I would have thought. Looking back, there have been some poor decisions regarding the England manager. Brian Clough would have been a revelation but was too outspoken for the F.A. Venables did an outstanding job. Since then, we've tried overseas managers with little success. Hodgson over Redknapp was an amazing decision. The English players collectively, are not good enough. However, we've seen that a new manager can turn things around-at Millwall for instance-so all is not lost. It's at grass roots level that changes need to be taken. Until that happens England are always going to be second best which is a bloody shame.

• June 21, 2014 at 10:22

@NICKOLA: The key word there is 'collectively'.

• June 21, 2014 at 21:16

@NICKOLA: I thought Hoddle was a good manager for England, until the media circus kicked in.

• June 21, 2014 at 10:12

@SE14: Get your cash on KJ for the next Welsh manager.

• June 21, 2014 at 10:40

@lion.ie: lets hope so ..i think he's good ..enough,then again you could train a monkey to do the welsh job

• June 21, 2014 at 13:55

@SE14: about as likely as England winning the World Cup.

• June 21, 2014 at 14:01

So what's happening with the centre back from Yeovil , is he having it or what. He's been back off holiday now for a few days.

• June 21, 2014 at 14:06

@bordersarebest0170: Rumour has it that Shittu has sat on him. Consequently, Webster will be arriving through the Millwall letterbox any time soon.

• June 21, 2014 at 14:25

It is strange how the Webster deal has gone quiet. Interesting story in the Yokel/local Yeovil press which makes Gary Johnson come across as more than a little bitter and twisted towards us, trying to make out we're no nearer to signing him than Leeds or Ipswich and then admitting, as he's out of contract and no longer a Yeovil player, he knows nothing about it anyway! Probably hoping to scupper our deal after we took Upson off him:

• June 21, 2014 at 18:14

@mervpayne: As I said on a previous thread if Webster isn't 100% committed to signing for us do we really want him? IH said sometime ago he was only looking for players to add to the squad who wanted to play for Millwall. Williams,Upson and Gregory signed as soon as he spoke to them but Webster deal is still up in the air.

• June 21, 2014 at 18:15

What's happening with Webster for f*** sake!? Wasn't he meant to sign when he got back from holiday on Wednesday!? I'm getting so impatient when I see these shitty stories about how Ambler feels and what Ollie thinks of the world cup! I want proper news about Millwall and I want to know if this deal is on or off! F****** hell!

• June 21, 2014 at 19:06

At least the scouts are doing something at the moment.
    Interesting read about this kid.

• June 21, 2014 at 19:15

@NICKOLA interesting story. Apparently he feels good, he knew that he would. Got lots of new kit so will need a brand new bag. He's good in the air - likes to get on up. A bit one-footed but lethal if he can get it on the good foot. Heard there's a sell on clause for Dover so if we cash in on him there'll be a payback etc etc etc.

When does the season start?

• June 21, 2014 at 19:44

@ NICOLA: well done nic, good spot , interesting eh

• June 22, 2014 at 01:55

Webster can't actually sign a free agent deal until July 1st, what he would be doing now is signing a "pre-contract agreement" and, in my experience, it takes a lot longer than most fans think to arrange a "pre-contract agreement".

Even if everything is agreed 100% (which is not the case here with Webster), just organising calendars to put all the parties involved in the room together to sign the document and get the photos and interviews done can take a week or more.
    Even then, the document they sign has little to no legal value anyway, so its never really a rush for it to happen... teams generally wait for the best "News Cycle Opportunity" (which is why they announce multiple signings together etc.)

Carlos Edwards situation is different, but both parties had been in agreement over finances for a long time now and Carlos was at the club already and only ever spoke to Millwall, but it still took about 3 weeks to be agreed and announced.

If (and its a very big IF) Webster had agreed terms verbally it could easily still take a couple weeks to actually get everything signed and photo's taken for the announcement to be made etc.
    Even if he had agreed terms on Wednesday as some predicted, you might not hear about it until the following Monday News Cycle.

• June 22, 2014 at 07:31

@Garrick: A pre contract agreement is not a binding contract..all this means is he's agreed to the terms of the contract millwall have offered.. If yer right in saying He has agreed to this it does seem likely he'll be at the den by the middle of next week

• June 22, 2014 at 09:47

@Jim28: the bloke has had plenty of time to agree terms, I heard he was on holiday but he doesn't do the talks his agent does, Ollie should give him a deadline sign or f*** off we don't want u.

• June 22, 2014 at 10:48

@block 28: From what Ollie was saying last week about Webster I reckon it's all done bar the signatures. Tomorrow or Tuesday for the formal announcement.

• June 22, 2014 at 11:16

@NICKOLA.:he'll still be a yeovil player this week.cos hes under contract till the 1st july..so we made a pre contract agreement..this is the same has a handsake..and we know what johnson thinks of a gentlemen's agreement..webster should come out and say hes a mfc player..if hes serious