Millwall new boy confident of lighting up the Championship

© Brian Tonks
©

MILLWALL signing Lee Gregory has backed himself to be a goalscoring hit in the Championship.

The striker completed a £250,000-move from Halifax Town on Tuesday, signing a three-year deal with the Lions.

Gregory, a full-time electrician prior to his Den switch, believes he can provide the spark up front to power a play-off push next season.

And he has revealed that manager Ian Holloway's ambition for the future convinced him to put pen-to-paper.

"Holloway isn't the type of manner to be at the bottom of the league,” Gregory told the Southwark News.

“I think we can push for the top six."

Gregory added: "Ollie made a massive difference. He was by far the best manager I spoke to – he sold the club to me.

“Holloway told me the truth from the start.

"I spoke to him on the phone before I came down and I knew as soon as I spoke to him that I wanted to be at Millwall.

“The club were the biggest that came in for me and I felt moving here was a massive opportunity to progress."

Gregory scored 31 goals in 39 games for the Shaymen last year and believes he can make the step up from the Conference to the Championship.

He said: “I’m very confident I can make the step up.

"I might be a little behind with my fitness going into pre-season, but as soon as I have that back I believe in my ability to get me through.

“The manager has brought me in to score goals. Hopefully I can repay him, produce what I need to and bang in a load of goals.

Millwall's fixture list for the 2014-15 season was revealed yesterday and there is one away day that Gregory is looking forward to more than most.

"I'm a Sheffield United fan so I would love to score against Wednesday at Hillsborough," he said. "That's a big local game for me.

“I'm also looking forward to Derby County because I trained there a few years ago and it was a great ground. I'm excited to play there.

“Every ground is obviously going to be a new experience for me and I'm looking forward to visiting each and every one of them.

When asked if he can make the grade in front of goal in a higher devision, akin to the likes of Charlie Austin and Jamie Vardy, Gregory added:

“Why not? It’s been done before and it can be done again.”

Gregory’s new boss Holloway added: “I’m very pleased to get Lee.

“He's been on our radar and he scored 31 goals last year.

“It’s a few divisions down but I think he's a natural goal scorer.

“I’m delighted to have been allowed to add him to our club,

“Hopefully it will turn out just as Morison did for us, and it’ll be an opportunity for us to score more goals.

“I met him on Monday, he’s a nice lad – I’m really pleased to give him a chance to be apart of what I want to do at Millwall.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

37 thoughts on “Millwall new boy confident of lighting up the Championship

• June 19, 2014 at 09:04

so am i lee! i think you're about to become the new neil harris. no pressure or anything hahaha welcome to the den mate, im sure you'll be banging em in, in no time at all if the videos are anything to go by! MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL

• June 19, 2014 at 09:20

@steveomfc5:

Worryingly speculation has gone quiet now we've completed this signing, lets not put to much pressure on Gregory, we need more up front!
      I'm chuffed with this signing & see why he's being compared to bomber from the goals he's scored but they've all come way down the leagues. He'll need patience from some of our support but I'm sure he'll do well when he gets used to the pace of the championship as long as he works hard & learns fast.
      Good luck Lee,hope you hit the ground running & it all just comes naturally! Coyl

• June 19, 2014 at 16:34

@steveomfc5: Well at least he can take a look at the big screen for us and offer discounted rates! Was well respected in the conference last year. Realistically a 10 rather than 20 a season striker?

• June 19, 2014 at 09:16

well he's making all the right noises off the pitch, now he has to do it on the pitch.
    he looks like a younger, fitter version of Tony cass, if he is half as good as cass that will do me
    . COME ON YOU LIONS

• June 19, 2014 at 09:24

"Confident of lighting up the Championship..."
    believes he can provide the spark up front..."

Ok, please let that be the end of his link with being an electrician ffs.
    What's happening with Webster Jay?

• June 19, 2014 at 09:51

@NICKOLA: probably still in mexico on hols

• June 19, 2014 at 11:22

@NICKOLA:
      Time to pull the plug on these comments then you reckon.

• June 19, 2014 at 11:39

@wall2wall: as long as he don't blow a fuse we need u to light up the den & turn the voltage up, iam sure you hav got the power for the championship.

• June 19, 2014 at 12:10

@block 28:
          Let's hope he's not in for a shock.

• June 19, 2014 at 12:21

@wall2wall: watt are you lot on about he looks like a bright spark

• June 19, 2014 at 12:39

@block 28: & DanmillwallB
          I've heard he's a bit of a live wire.
          Let's hope he hits the earth running and rolls up his sleeves.

• June 19, 2014 at 13:08

@wall2wall: Not sure whether to laugh or cry at these puns..

• June 19, 2014 at 13:18

@wall2wall: hopefully he will be in his element

• June 19, 2014 at 13:56

@wall2wall: I'm looking forward to watching him on cable, in fact I'm buzzing!
            Heard from one of my conference following friends that he's a right powerhouse and he's shocked that the price wasn't amped up a little higher!

I'll get my coat.....

• June 19, 2014 at 15:34

@wall2wall:
            Take your coat off Jason. Great stuff.

• June 19, 2014 at 16:50

@wall2wall:
            you'll get no resistance from me about this boy!

• June 19, 2014 at 09:24

Welcome lee, your going to love playing for millwall, the fans will make the hair on the back of ya neck stand up, I hope your ready because everyone on this site can't wait, good luck mate.

• June 19, 2014 at 17:15

@foxy: the hair on the back of his Gregory

• June 19, 2014 at 10:08

Well young Lee, welcome to the Den. I hope you're prepared to not care because as of the day you signed, outside of Millwall, no one likes you!

• June 21, 2014 at 10:27

@Chipplefuddywick:
      No difference then Halifax the same in non leagues....

• June 19, 2014 at 10:32

“The club were the biggest that came in for me"...........read that Birmingham ?

• June 19, 2014 at 11:17

I have no doubt the reason Lee signed was IH.
    Get your scoring boots going and the fans will get right behind you.

• June 19, 2014 at 11:26

This is the difference having a manger like IH makes, as much as KJ did well for us you just dont get the impression he could sell the club to a player like IH does.

• June 19, 2014 at 12:11

Good news.
    Floodlight failure ain't gonna save no team that are being battered now.
    I wonder if he will let some of us pile into his white van for away games.

• June 19, 2014 at 12:23

A MASSIVE WELCOME, LEE , to Millwall FC, you will get such a loud special cheer on scoring you first goal for us, that you will have never heard before, anywhere in the world. ( NOLU,WDC ) .

• June 19, 2014 at 12:33

What about Webster ?
    I have read it is not a done deal.

• June 19, 2014 at 13:56

@Longfield Lion: This worries me as well. I wonder if he has been approached by another club because it has been dragging on for too long. On the other hand do we really want him if he isn't fully committed to signing for us??

• June 19, 2014 at 13:41

@ Longford Lion
    Always better to laugh.
    You should know that being a Millwall supporter.

• June 19, 2014 at 14:37

IMHO I have found these puns a bit of a gas!

• June 19, 2014 at 15:29

funny how some of you are a bit positve,some are a bit negative personally im down to earth about an electrician signing for us.

• June 19, 2014 at 17:19

He's only been here faraday, let's give the lad a chance to show his hertz in the right place.

• June 19, 2014 at 23:33

Personally enjoyed all the electrical humour today so cheers to all who contributed.
    Also really pleased to see some new posters. The more the merrier. Hope the many others that probably just view the board also sign up and join in. We know your out there. What you waiting for. Exciting times ahead I reckon.