Holloway: Promotion is the aim for Millwall next season

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

IAN Holloway says promotion is the aim for Millwall next season.

Holloway has previously led Blackpool and Crystal Palace to England's top division and he is now aiming to repeat the feat with the Lions in 2014-15.

To achieve that ambition, Holloway believes Millwall's mentality has to change.

"It's all about expectation and we have to change our players' expectations," he said.

"Instead of having a relegation battle, I want us to have a promotion battle.

"I want to get in the play-offs and I want to get promoted, so to do that you've got to have competition for places.

"I don't know anyone who plays well that thinks that they are playing every week – good clubs have good squads and I want us to be a good club.

"A young, hungry, fresh Millwall is what I'm after.”

Millwall remained unbeaten in their final eight games of last season and Holloway is looking for his side to carry on that form in the coming campaign.

He said: "I want to start with a batch of games where we win, we draw and we don't lose.

"There’s no reason, if you look at Burnley, what they've done and how they’ve done it,  why we can't get promoted.

"They've done it with a team spirit, by selling their best player and reinvesting the money, and with very little outside influence.

"They used less players than anybody else but they had a fighting spirit, and that's what our club is all about – that's what I'm trying to build."

For the majority of last season, the Lions were unable to string a run of results together and Holloway has earmarked consistency as an area for improvement.

The Millwall boss has admitted he can't wait to get the new season underway, with the fixtures to be released on Wednesday morning.

"I can't wait to get going again," he added.

"I don't care when we play anyone we have to play them all some time and we've got to try to be consistent.

"The hardest thing at this level for anyone is to be consistent because it's so tight.

"I want to be consistent in our work ethic, off the pitch and with our training schedules and to be consistent whereby the players come in early and go home late.

"I want to teach them new things and for them to take on board the way they finished last season.

"Every one of them deserved credit for that and I want them to start that way with that mentality.

"We've got as good a chance as anybody. I've done it before and I want to do it here."

75 thoughts on “Holloway: Promotion is the aim for Millwall next season

• June 16, 2014 at 10:07

like what i'm hearing here. time for some positive vibes! we had a real s**** one last year with a clown in charge for half a season. this season will be the complete opposite. good times ahead COYL!!! MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL 2 strikers please now ollie.

• June 16, 2014 at 10:10

@steveomfc5: Yes, Please Ollie! That's what we Millwall fans have been waiting to hear- Ambition. ! Keep it up, we will get there.

• June 16, 2014 at 10:11

Thats what we all want to hear..positive thinking by olly..but we wont to this just by fighting spirit alone or by the team we have at the monent..

• June 16, 2014 at 10:12

Yes Ollie thats what we want to hear going to be tough but yea we can do it

• June 16, 2014 at 10:23

Not too bothered about promotion but am bothered about another basement battle. Please lets not go through all that again and i for 1 will be very happy.

Top 6 finish a bounus but not a necessity COYL

• June 16, 2014 at 10:33

@MIGHTY: I'm with you on the idea of promotion. Too many clubs have tried the premier league and ended up in big trouble long term.

• June 17, 2014 at 19:23

@Chipplefuddywick: The only manager I have heard of to get a small club to the top tier and publicly state that the club will probably go down but at least the money will help provide security was HOLLOWAY. Top tier football is not bad if you don't get stupid with it.

• June 16, 2014 at 10:26

Not a chance in hell that will be happening unless we have a major change in personnel. Need some big summer signings....

• June 16, 2014 at 10:45

@the verminhater: There is always a chance! Just look at Burnley...
      It's all in the mind, if you think you can win then you have a much better chance of doing so!

Would you prefer a player say around 29-30 who has been around the block and considered a "big-name" but only plays at 70% capability or a lesser player who has so much more desire and hunger to succeed who plays at 110% week in, week out?

Holloway is building a team of players not individuals, playing good football together who are hungry! We were unbeaten in 8 games at the end of last season, why cant we do that again?? I'll just put your negativity down to the relegation fights over the past few seasons!!

• June 16, 2014 at 11:04

@Bradders: I just cant see a squad that has narrowly escaped relegation two seasons on the bounce all of a sudden getting promoted!

• June 16, 2014 at 11:11

@the verminhater: That's where our mentality differs.... If for instance if Millwall play Real Madrid, would you want the team thinking oh well we are going to lose (which they are 100% guaranteed to with that attitude) or have a positive attitude by going out there and try and to win??

Doesn't mean we will win, but we give ourselves half a chance straight away by having a good mentality!!

• June 16, 2014 at 11:25

@Bradders: I believe in that old saying,YOU CANT POLISH A TURD...

• June 16, 2014 at 15:14

@Bradders: the belief must have been there for the last 8 games as we were rock bottom and that would be when negativity would be at it greatest.

Results before then had simply not gone our way but the squad and Ollie knew they were doing the right things and that it was only a matter of time before the results followed (cut it very fine but all good in the end!)

I think promotion is a bit of a long shot given I thought last season we had a good team (pre season this is) and would be top half. Not impossible with the right signings and team work but a higher league finish will do for me.

• June 17, 2014 at 07:35

@Bradders: It basically comes down to a good mentality and having a couple of strikers who are capable of putting away the chances. Last season was woeful in that respect, but if you look at the number of chances created there is no way we should have been at the wrong end of the table. Sort that out and keep the defence tight and we are humming next term.
            With this bloke's record, there is no reason why it isn't possible. No-one would have said Palace or Blackpool had a chance of promotion before he took them over.
            On the other hand, I think these comments may also be about persuading the players he trying to sign that we ahve ambition

• June 16, 2014 at 10:42

this bloke.....

• June 16, 2014 at 10:42

I think IH is being a little naive here you can't talk your way into promotion. The current squad will not take us to promotion, it needs strengthening and it takes time to build a promotion winning side. There is no reason that Millwall cannot make it, John Docherty did it backed by a strong scouting system and an excellent youth policy. It takes time, no need to rush A high mid-table position will suit me.

• June 16, 2014 at 10:49

@Peckhamlad: I would be happy with mid-table but you can talk your way into promotion!!

It's all about mentality.... just like everything in life, you want it more than the opposition then you will work harder for it until you achieve what your aim is (if you are strong minded) or you can be negative and have a weak mentality which will get you nowhere in life (if not in football, then on the doll without a pot to p*** in).... it's a choice everyone has but not one everyone takes!

• June 16, 2014 at 10:51

@Peckhamlad: I agree,the present squad still needs pruning and IH will have to make key signings.

• June 16, 2014 at 12:34

@Peckhamlad: I don't think Holloway has spoke his way to the x2 promotions he had before. It took him 2 seasons to get Blackpool promoted and Crystal Palace in a season and a half. I think as Millwall supporters we can be guilty of being a bit negative and daring to dream the dream. I don't give a s*** about the Prem, but i don't doubt that this is Hollway's aim......

• June 16, 2014 at 15:32

@Windy: of course it has to be his aim. Like every manager I would have thought. Whether it's realistic is another matter.

Wouldn't think next season would be the year to go up but surely that's the goal in the next 5 years?

May have been more sensible to say a top half finish but at least he didn't say we're going to win the league!

• June 16, 2014 at 10:57

Think what Ollie is saying is that promotion isn't beyond us, however it will take an enormous amount of hard work from everyone to achieve this. The main thing is that we start off well and don't get tangled up in another relegation battle. I'm sure with a couple of decent signings, especially a goalscorer we will be closer to the top of the table rather than the bottom.

• June 16, 2014 at 11:05

Well you should be getting one hell of a player in Lee Gregory 110% and not frightened of putting himself about If I was Millwall I would get him signed asap He should be 500k plus. scored a cracker against MKDONS & scared them to death. Missed 10 games last season & still scored 32 goal (4 Pens) Gray luton 1 more but 8pens

• June 16, 2014 at 11:26

@Steve Lanzarote: I've still got my fingers crossed we get both of them!! Didn't realise he missed 10 games, great to hear supporters of clubs giving their opinion on players!

I saw some of the goals he scored, some were down to bad goalkeeping or typical conference defending but hoping he gets around 10-15 goals this season which would be immense for 250k!

• June 16, 2014 at 12:32

@Bradders:
        Never scored less than 15 while with us our manager NA very much in mould of IH. Lee had a spell 3 seasons ago played for himself instead of team NA stuck him on the bench & told him when you want to play for the team you can come back in (brilliant ever since) He is better than Jamie Vardy at then same stage, We as a club have to find players and sell them on, Lee is ready to step up, I believe he will be superb for you & IH good manager for him

• June 16, 2014 at 15:57

@Steve Lanzarote: good to hear you rate him. If it makes you feel better we will have to sell him on ourselves if he starts banging in 20 goals a season!

Also didn't realise his goal tally included 10 missed games not to mention the games after that to get back to full match fitness. Encouraging stuff if and when we sign him of course.

• June 16, 2014 at 11:11

Admire his positivity but without two goal scorers and maybe a creative midfielder / wide man be same old huff and puff but never blow the house down

Sorry if that comes across as negative I prefer realism !!

• June 16, 2014 at 11:34

@Millwall1979: @Millwall1979: I have to agree with you. There is still a lot of dead wood in the squad under contract until next Summer. I think next season will be a consolidation period and by the start of the 2015/2016 season Ollie will have signed his own players to perhaps move on to better things then.

• June 16, 2014 at 11:30

If we're not aiming to go up then there's no point competing in this league! IH said promotion is the AIM whether that's realisitc or not is another matter but we have to be aiming to get into the top 6 - plenty of work to do but at least he talks a good game! Come on you lions!!!

• June 16, 2014 at 11:34

@TheBermondseyBomber:

Of course I understand that but make them sort of statements when he has the tools on place to get the job done

Team spirit will only get you so far and as for burnley they also had a front pairing of 40 plus goals as well as team spirit

That's all I am saying after how close we came last two seasons to league 1 Ollie should be mindful of making unrealistic (at moment) comments

• June 16, 2014 at 12:33

@Millwall1979: So would we prefer it if he came out and said something like we haven't got a cat in hells chance of crashing the play-offs, we'd be lucky not to be involved in another relegation battle?!

Burnley had 40 goals out of their front pairing last season but the season before that how many did they score combined?? The answer is 7 league goals between them in about 75 games!! It all starts somewhere!

• June 16, 2014 at 12:52

@TheBermondseyBomber:

I would rather he came out with statements that are realistic he needs to clear deadwood still which is under contract and sign new players not ones that took us 3/4 of a season hurtling towards relagation (8 games does not make a season)

No I don't expect him to say we don't have a cat in helps chance as you say what's the point but does anyone seriously think we have the infrastructure and playing staff to go up ??

Marquis and Easter are no vokes and ings !!

• June 16, 2014 at 13:09

@Millwall1979: Clearing the decks is easier said than done - I agree we have certain players stealing a living still under contract but unless they're wanted by other clubs we have to honor their contracts

Did anyone (apart form maybe Sean Dyche) think Burnley had the infrastructure and playing staff to go up this time last year? We all know we need goals in this time and some width would be nice and I'm sure IH is working to that end but for the boss to be criticised for being ambitious is outrageous!

Before last season Ings and Vokes were a couple of nobodys! 1 Swallow don't make a summer and all that!

• June 16, 2014 at 13:27

@Millwall1979:

And until he clears that deadwood he won't have the money to take his team forward will he

I ain't slagging him off I just feel it's a unnecessary escalation of expectation so what do the board do if we fighting relegation again come dec say well you made a statement saying we was going for it ? That's all you need to manage people's expectation and be realistic

I f****** hope I am wrong it have seen enough lows supporting wall and some fantastic highs

And I believe holloway long term can take us where we want to go

Short term tenth or above would be fantastic And then kick on in 2015/16

• June 16, 2014 at 13:54

@Millwall1979: We'll see mate but as someone mentioned below it could hold a lot of weight with potential new signings - we have a manager who believes he can achieve what every player dreams of with our club.

Top 10 - we'd all take that! COYL

• June 16, 2014 at 16:01

@TheBermondseyBomber: "I laughed when Brendan Rodgers said Liverpool could challenge for the premier league title early last season and look what happened there!"

I bet you laughed again when they f***** it up!

• June 16, 2014 at 11:50

Unless there are some major signings all around the park, especially up front, I can only see another season of basement battling, despite Ollies ravings of us being a promotion contender. The bookies dont often get it wrong. Mid table mediocrity for me please.

• June 16, 2014 at 11:51

24 points between us and the play-off places. I honestly do believe if we had started season with Ollie we would have been close - how many points did we drop before Xmas?

• June 16, 2014 at 12:08

If Olly came on and said I want us to stay up people would be criticising his and the clubs lack of ambition. Will we go up? who knows, there are a lot of deciding factors that come in to play during a season but when the first ball is kicked in anger the ambition has to be promotion. Lets face it Olly has done it before so knows what it takes.

Exciting times at The Den and a new chapter. COYL!

• June 16, 2014 at 12:25

@Vinny Shell: glad to see ambition..but correct me if i wrong but the only player we have signed for sure is a keeper & edwards..need to do more

• June 16, 2014 at 12:55

@Vinny Shell: @Vinny Shell:

If he came out in late July after signing what we need then by all means big the team up at the moment we have all we had that got us in the mess of last year and dragged us out that's all I am saying

At the moment his statement seems a little foolish and premature

• June 16, 2014 at 16:11

@Millwall1979: he's been asked what his aim is for Millwall next season and what he said or a reply along the lines of 'in or around the playoffs' is what you expect.

Anymore would sound silly and mid table or avoid relegation is incredibly pessimistic.

We don't want him doing a Mourinho and suggesting we cannot do it this season we are not good enough, we need another striker etc (even if these are true/realistic)

Marquis to net 20 next season......... Now that is a comment from Ollie that I would be worried about 😉

• June 16, 2014 at 12:18

Blimey!

That's enough to take your mind off the England defeat.

I don't think it would take a lot to get this going - but Lions need strikers.

Any team that gets promoted has a couple of productive strikers (20 ish goals apiece - with contributions from mid field).

That's the gap - fix it from without or within - and yes - why not?

• June 16, 2014 at 12:22

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants this, but does anyone else find themselves a little cynical about it after the run we've had of late? I can't see one summer of signings and new management shooting us into the PL. Hope I'm wrong,make me wrong Millwall!

• June 16, 2014 at 13:04

I think people still underestimate Holloway. He got a team that was bottom of the league to go on an 8 match unbeaten run with 5 wins and 3 draws that kept us up. That is some feat with all the pressure and lack of confidence around the club at the time. I dont think that a lot of fans realise how massive an achievement that was. I am sure that there are a couple of players still to come in and I personally have no doubt that we can aim for the play offs. Such talk will also encourage potential new signings. Carry on Holloway.

• June 16, 2014 at 13:23

@wall2wall: Spot on mate! Especially agree this sort of statement will encourage potential signings - players need to buy into the club and the managers plans rather than the Lomas way of just making the player feel "wanted" by giving them over the top contracts!

• June 16, 2014 at 16:14

@wall2wall: very true, as a player I would want to hear a manager talking of promotion, shows ambition.

• June 16, 2014 at 13:25

Promotion would be fantastic but I'd hate to see millwall sell it's soul, it's only a personal view but there's magic in this joint, a little plot of land tucked away in south London which hides one of the footballs greatest treasures. If promotion can be achieved without sacrificing the inner heartbeat of this club then I'm fully embracing it as well . Whatever happens, keep it real and don't ever forget where you come from and the blood and toil of those who allowed you to get there!!!

• June 16, 2014 at 13:36

Probably signing a Conference striker & going for the Prem already!!

I love it:)

• June 16, 2014 at 13:44

Jesus wept its more depressing on this site than Halifax you are supporting a great club who has now got a great manager, get behind him and you will be amazed where you end up. Everyone was touting FCHT to go straight back down to Conf. north being a P/T club this season and we were bookies fav. for it, we lost in semi final of play offs.BELIEVE & PS Next season we have a center back for you Roberts 23 longest throw in or out of league, as good as a corner. You heard it here first.......

• June 16, 2014 at 13:49

I do love it when players and managers have ambition at millwall, but promotion is a bit far-fetched. Although it is possible, it's very unlikely. Personally, a comfortable mid table season would be the aim. I had nightmares for a whole week before the bournemouth game, I don't want to go through that again.

• June 16, 2014 at 14:31

@mfclions: 60 points was mid table. Surely we can do better than that now we have a decent manager?

• June 16, 2014 at 13:50

We need to break the glass ceiling there is nothing holding us back let's aim high you can't plan to be mediocre .. Come on H do your best that's all we ask .

• June 16, 2014 at 14:08

Any news on Webster / Gregory ?

• June 16, 2014 at 15:56

@Millwall1979: Good question.I thought Webster was going to be wrapped up today ?

• June 16, 2014 at 14:25

How good would it be...

• June 16, 2014 at 14:26

How good would it be.

• June 16, 2014 at 16:02

Put it this way: Aim for promotion but just miss out = top half finish - bloody superb
    Aim for mid-table finish but just miss out = another relegation battle

• June 16, 2014 at 18:17

@harryfabian: That's the long and the short of it Harry.

• June 16, 2014 at 18:00

Of course we all know, as does IH, that the current squad is not good enough for promotion, but they are good enough to be mid table. The thing I like is he is positive, and that's what he is trying to instil in the players. I am sure there will be some new signings, Fred will come into the team at some stage, and we will be a better team to watch, and support for the first time in a few years.
    The cup run a couple of years ago was great, but give me a stable season with a chance of playoffs and I will be very happy.

• June 16, 2014 at 18:13

Holloway is right promotion is the aim. Teams in this division are very close. We could easily finish playoffs with four good signing.

• June 16, 2014 at 18:19

Have we signed anyone yet? lol

• June 17, 2014 at 06:32

@Jim28: Saw this in Daily Mail, but until I see anything on the Offical Site I'm not getting too excited:

• June 17, 2014 at 07:41

@Kennyp: £250k is a steal for this bloke, even from a Conference club. Great signing

• June 17, 2014 at 08:17

@Junkmale: Yeah I think so too. Been looking on the Halifax forum and they rate him much better than Vardy at that age.

• June 16, 2014 at 18:21

There's nothing wrong with ambition as long as it's not blind ambition. If Holloway has a plan and thinks it could, with a winning mentality, get us challenging top six then that's good enough for me. But it's still very much all talk at the moment.

• June 16, 2014 at 18:55

Lol.......
    I think Olly is still drunk and hungover from his daughters wedding last Saturday.

• June 16, 2014 at 23:42

Daily mail tonight says we have signed Gregory on a 3 year deal!!! Fingers crossed hopefully something comes on here tomorrow

• June 16, 2014 at 23:43

We've signed Gregory 3 year deal. Daily mail just read on line

• June 17, 2014 at 07:45

His Wikipedia confirms he has joined the lions and will wear the number 11 shirt

• June 17, 2014 at 08:07

Doesn't look like his career has been particularly glittering but we took a punt with harris and morison, so lets hope he turns out to be like them. I have my doubts.