Millwall boss excited as 2014 World Cup gets underway

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

IAN Holloway says he is looking forward to the start of the 2014 World Cup.

The month-long tournament kicks-off tonight when five-time winners and hosts Brazil face Croatia in the opening game of Group A.

And the Millwall boss is tipping a team from the host continent to lift the trophy.

"I would imagine it would be one of the South Americans," he said.

"I think they have an advantage.

"They're used to the climate and the way they play in those conditions – and it is on their doorstep.

"You have to look at Brazil with the likes of Neymar, the talent they've got and you've got to look at the home support.

"It might act as pressure, but I don't think it will – they've got some wonderful quality.

"I think if Messi is fit, Argentina have a good chance. I like the look of the Dutch team also, I think they've got some talent.

"The way the Germans are setting themselves up, they'll be tough. There's Italy in our group who are always hard to break down and hard to beat – they've always got a goal scorer.

"I cannot wait to see what the best in the world are doing. I'm really excited about it – the game evolves all the time."

Spain have won three consecutive major international tournaments but Holloway feels their time has come and gone.

He said: "I think it'll be tough for Spain to win again because people know what they do now and others have had good practice at stopping that with counter attacking.

"They have world class players and they've proved it – they’ve won the 2010 World Cup and the 2012 European Cup.

"But they are getting older now – are their new generation any good? We will have to wait and see. If José Campaña is anything to go by, then yes they are – he's a fantastic player.

"I won't stay up and watch all of the games but I've bought a magazine, a tournament guide, so it better be good!"

"I'm looking forward to the tournament," Holloway added.

"I can remember watching the World Cup when I was younger and it inspired me. The Brazilians inspired me.

"I was three when England won the World Cup and I can remember my dad was dancing in the street, carrying me in his arms, and I thought: ‘what is going on!’

"I've never seen so many people so happy – hopefully that's what we will all be experiencing.

"I want football to prevail. I want the supporters of each nation to sit and cheer their team on — that's what football is about.

"I'm hopeful there will be some wonderful goals and brilliant games."

16 thoughts on “Millwall boss excited as 2014 World Cup gets underway

• June 12, 2014 at 18:07

While everyone is being distracted by the world cup, now is the time to nip in and sign Lee Gregory while no-one is watching!

• June 12, 2014 at 18:09

@Profiler4: too lat already been put on the billboard mate!

• June 12, 2014 at 18:10

the world cup brings everyone together! i cant help but feel that buzz. F****** C'MON ENGLAND!!!! MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL

• June 12, 2014 at 18:14

Looks like we'll all be doing the Samba next season then.

• June 12, 2014 at 18:58

Don't get this article, just says what most people are saying. I like to know who is paying for the 50 odd reporters, know all pundits and guests the BBC are sending, Similarly the ITV.
    I am looking forward to Millwall signing a couple of good players in the near future.

• June 12, 2014 at 19:11

@Peckhamlad: cheer up yer miserable git..we got football back early & look out for the millwall flag with peckham written on it

• June 12, 2014 at 22:54

@Jim28: that's the spirit Jim, I'm keepin an eye out for millwall flags as well and so are all my mates who hav now had millwall hammered into them. Good luck to you blokes n gals, but I'm hopin the aussie boys put up a fight. Fun times though!

• June 13, 2014 at 00:55

@grassgrower: our matches are handy cos its saturday night live down the pub..you can have a barbie

• June 12, 2014 at 19:09

newsathollowaysden.co.uk you lot will be asking him what he has for breakfast next..... Ask the geeza whats going on with our out of contract players and signings

• June 12, 2014 at 19:23

Nice interview - good to hear IH on this. Come on England!

• June 12, 2014 at 19:42

I'm in Brazil now, and I went and watch a 2nd division game out here and I'm telling you the strikers are way better than ares and there very very very cheap.. Olly get out here son!!!

• June 12, 2014 at 19:58

@harry cook: if i have it right dont they have to be internationals for us to be able to buy players from outside of europe.

• June 12, 2014 at 20:36

@harry cook: shush, be quiet Huddersfield and Birmingham will hear you!

• June 12, 2014 at 20:45

Ollie you haven't got time for the World Cup mate,, get signing them super stars

• June 12, 2014 at 23:12

I agree Harry mate, there must be loads that don't make it who would destroy the championship for a better life and much better wages... I think language barrier, discipline and work permits would be issue especially if it was to come here to play for millwall lol