England's World Cup hopes rest on team ethic – Holloway

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

MILLWALL manager Ian Holloway believes England can "achieve miracles" in the World Cup – even if they don't win it.

The Three Lions get their campaign underway in the Brazilian city of Manaus against Cesare Prandelli's Italy on Saturday evening.

And Ollie reckons that Roy Hodgson's men have a chance of reaching the latter stages of the tournament if they play as a unit rather than a team of individuals.

But the Den boss admits England "don't have much hope" of lifting the trophy.

He said: "I like the atmosphere at the moment that an English manager is bringing and that an English squad is also bringing.

"Off the pitch, I'm very proud of what Roy is doing.

"He's doing a fantastic job and we need to do our job now, every one of us.

"I bought a top in Sainsbury's – it's got the Three Lions on it and it’s bright red from when we won the World Cup in 1966.

"I want us to support our team – I don't want us to criticise them or analyse every single performance.

"I want to be in the last bit of the tournament and try to do as well as we possibly can. It would be fantastic."

After Italy, England face Uruguay and Costa Rica in Group D.

"I want to see our team play as a team and I want to see them sing the national anthem," Holloway added.

"I want to see them be really proud of each other and be proud of that shirt they are pulling on, that's all I want from England.

"How far we go is down to that.

"I believe we can achieve miracles if we have a team, if we work hard, and if we have a bit of luck.

"Roy has a brilliant way of defending – he's got a brilliant way of making people understand their defensive structure.

"Hopefully some of the talent we've got on show will get us the goals that we need.

"But I'm a realist so I don't think we have much hope.

"I think there are better all-round teams that are better put together than ours but we did beat Spain the last time we played them.

"They had a lot more of the ball but Frank Lampard scored from a set-piece and we beat them one-nil. Did we deserve it? No, but we won.

"In a World Cup, why can't we do that?"

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

39 thoughts on “England's World Cup hopes rest on team ethic – Holloway

• June 13, 2014 at 10:22

COME ON ENGLAND!

• June 13, 2014 at 10:23

Millwall have many of the same problems and they can be solved in much the same way,play with pride and as a team be disciplined in your formation.

• June 13, 2014 at 10:26

Did anyone else notice that Croatia got a millwall ref?

• June 13, 2014 at 10:48

@dragonflymfc: said the same thing to my mates,like being at the den

• June 13, 2014 at 10:50

@dragonflymfc: the only difference he was on the home teams side that what I meant

• June 13, 2014 at 10:32

When are we going to see some new signings Ollie? Don't worry about England. There's been a lot of huffing and puffing so far but rather see something concrete happening.

• June 13, 2014 at 10:58

@Peckhamlad: Quite right Peckhamlad, R.H. Is in charge of the England Team. Ollie, concentrate on making MFC a Stronger Team.

• June 13, 2014 at 17:04

@BUSHWACKER14:
        So he's supposed to ignore questions that he gets asked because some tit (you) feels he should spend every minute trying to sign players.

• June 13, 2014 at 17:27

@82wall: Sounds like you've joined some of the Tw**ts on here ( we don't use those type of words on this site.)

• June 13, 2014 at 20:21

@BUSHWACKER14:
            Says the fake bushwacker! Listen mate, this site is a joke. Full of charlton and palace type fans, and you are one of the people that make Millwall fans seem thick. Your comments are of a 5 year old with brain damage standard. So you and your mate Norman crack on, but your a f****** mong.

• June 13, 2014 at 11:59

@Peckhamlad: Agreed. And how about getting Forde and Martin signed on new contracts too.

• June 13, 2014 at 10:52

Sounds like a fee has been agreed with Halifax for Lee Gregory. Personal terms to be finalised!

• June 13, 2014 at 10:59

@REAL Supporter: £250k plus add-ons. Apparently, he's not too sure he wants to come down south though.

• June 13, 2014 at 11:20

@millwallstarplayer: From a friend of a friend of a friend, so we'll have to wait and see if it comes true or not.

• June 13, 2014 at 11:23

@REAL Supporter: Thats the last thing we need is another homesick northerner.

• June 13, 2014 at 11:26

@Sealion: Yes, exactly. Think we have to be 100% sure he wants to play for us before we spend any money on him.

• June 13, 2014 at 11:44

@REAL Supporter.: he'll have 2 giant yorkshire men at the heart of our defence..they will make him welcome

• June 13, 2014 at 11:40

@REAL Supporter: He should be over the f****** moon. 25yrs old, Non league football to Championship and he's not sure if he wants to come to London, the greatest city on our Island. He's having a laugh in he? Don't want the c***....

• June 13, 2014 at 11:59

@Windy: Correction there Windy, should say ''greatest city in the world''!

• June 13, 2014 at 12:01

@Windy: I am sure that Ollie will persuade him with his "Gift of the Gab". He will tell him that he is virtually guaranteed a first team place as opposed to being a bench warmer at another Championship club.

• June 13, 2014 at 12:04

@denslions: . . . and besides, this could be a load of crap and he may be chomping at the bit to join us, so I don't think any of us should be dissing him . . . yet!

• June 13, 2014 at 12:15

@denslions: He should not need persuading. I know we are no Real Madrid, but still. I may have been a little unfair with my initial response, he's only a kid and I am guilty of forgetting that sometimes and his decision will have a major baring on his playing career but nether the less they should want to come here.

• June 13, 2014 at 12:06

@<a href="#comment have to wait n see I suppose but his loss, probably wants to be safe in a loving friendly protected environment, his loss!!! Like tim cahill said " I played in front of the most passionate supporters in the world and it was the best time in my life" with all due respect lee Gregory, ya no tim cahill!!!

• June 13, 2014 at 12:29

Ya it's a world cup but ollie I wanna hear about millwall that's all I ever wanna hear cos I love you millwall! !!

• June 13, 2014 at 13:35

Fooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrdey, great stuff mate, signed for 3 yrs. hope that's right but if it is , fantastic!

• June 13, 2014 at 14:01

He's done his bit; he got a t shirt from sainsburys.

• June 13, 2014 at 14:27

• June 13, 2014 at 14:42

@Windy: Great news! Happy he staying and committed to the club for three years.

• June 13, 2014 at 14:50

Every bit of consistency and experience will be good, a blend of old n young, everyone reading off the same page and onwards we go like the young lad standing out the front of the massage parlour for the first time!!! F***** exciting!!!

• June 13, 2014 at 18:18

What's all the fuss about singing the anthem? I walk out the room when it comes on. Give us a rousing anthem rather than the dirge pledging allegiance to an outdated Monarchy and I'd be interested.

• June 14, 2014 at 07:07

@lion.ie: nice to see morrisey posting on here !

• June 13, 2014 at 18:19

What's all the fuss about singing the anthem? I walk out of the room when it comes on. Give us a rousing anthem rather than the dirge pledging allegiance to an outdated Monarchy and I'd be interested.

• June 13, 2014 at 23:38

Tim Cahill just scored a trademark header for the Aussies.

Class act.

• June 13, 2014 at 23:43

@MFC Lion: seen that type of header a few times..true pro

• June 14, 2014 at 12:15

Ollie a bit old to be playing with a top ?