Ollie to hand all Millwall players a clean slate in pre-season

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

MILLWALL manager Ian Holloway insists there will be a clean slate for everyone in pre-season.

The Lions players return from their break on June 26 and will be assessed for two days before heading out to Portugal for a training camp.

Ollie said: “It’s very simple: I never close the door on anybody, I just have some rules I want people to live by.

“I want people to work hard and improve themselves. I've got training regimes I want them to do and if they cant do them already I’ll teach them.

“And I expect their weight to be coming down, their body fat to be coming down and their times to be getting quicker.

“If they don't do that I won’t select them.

“If you don't behave you don't get an ice cream, and normally an ice cream to a footballer is a chance to play because none of them like not playing.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

88 thoughts on “Ollie to hand all Millwall players a clean slate in pre-season

• June 11, 2014 at 11:03

I sincerely hope this doesn't mean the likes of Wright, Abdou, Shittu, Hoyte etc. aren't in the plans.

• June 11, 2014 at 13:52

@NICKOLA: Think you're doing a disservice to Abdou by discarding him. If he supposedly doesn't fit in with our new passing style, why did he get the highest pass completion %? The man gives his all and he's a good back up, no point wasting money on journeymen when we've got someone with Millwall in his veins already here.

• June 11, 2014 at 14:09

@harryfabian: All I know is that our run which kept us up did not have Abdou in the middle.

• June 11, 2014 at 14:22

@harryfabian: if you noticed, Abdou became much better at being composed under pressure and placed his passes much better than previous seasons. Lots of effort put in by him on that front. I dunno why he isn't in the fold, but there must be a justified reason for Ollie to do it. Smith is just a squad player, handy if we're in a bit of bother with injuries. Wright could be so much better if he became more attack minded with his pass selection and became a bigger presence on the pitch. Wright's lack of progression let me down a bit, when he first signed I saw huge potential and a future Millwall CM… Wouldn't know what to do with him now. Hoyte can p*ss off, what a load of rubbish… Old too, whats the point in keeping him? Edwards is getting on a bit too, but they're attitudes and ability are completely the opposite. Hence why Edwards was offered a new deal and has been praised by Holloway… model professional

• June 11, 2014 at 11:03

are in the plans!

• June 11, 2014 at 11:04

Please do not give a Ice Cream to Wright,Marquis,Hoyte,Easter,Jimmy and the like.

• June 11, 2014 at 11:10

@Longfield Lion: :O Leave Jimmy out of this! One player we will allow for having no sense of passing skill in the side.

JIMMY ABDOU!!

• June 11, 2014 at 12:07

@Longfield Lion: I'm not deluded, he isn't going to be at the forefront of a promotion charge to the Premier League. But he is one player who doesn't deserve any criticism because what you see is what you get with Jimmy. Ever since we signed him his role in the team has been to break up play and give the ball to players with more skill with the ball (It's why he and Trotter worked so good together). However he is a player you would want in your 25 man squad who you may call upon against teams with players for example like how Taarabt was for QPR when they got promoted a few years back.

Ideally as all managers say they want 2 players for every position, Bailey, Williams, Upson, Abdou as out two in the middle doesn't sound too bad does it? You have a leader in there in Bailey, two youngish players who want to make a name for themselves in our league then you have Jimmy who will run his socks of for the team. I'm not even counting Chaplow who if replicated his form for Saints a couple of years back would also be superb.

So as I said.. Leave Jimmy out of this! 😉

• June 11, 2014 at 12:12

@Omer Ronayne: Have to agree Jimmy's work rate alone is worth 2 of the likes of Josh Wright! He doesn't score but that goal against Leeds in theplayoffs excuses him!! probably our best buy in the last 10 years!

• June 11, 2014 at 12:16

@Omer Ronayne: I never said you were deluded and I respect your opinion.I just have a different view and opinion.I think jimmy splits opinions down the middle.I will leave it at that.

• June 12, 2014 at 00:31

@Omer Ronayne:
        But yet had a better pass completion rate than bailey, this myth that jimmy can't pass is getting boring.

• June 12, 2014 at 08:05

@82wall: Which also backs up my point about him winning the ball then giving it to the more gifted player to try the riskier pass. When have you ever seen Jimmy ping the ball 60-70 yards in a game? He can't, however as I've said that isn't his role in the side and I for one think he does a superb job in the team.

• June 12, 2014 at 15:26

@Omer Ronayne: when have you ever seen any wall play ping it 60-70 yards?

• June 11, 2014 at 12:27

@Longfield Lion: Agree with all those you mentioned. I don't know how Easter keeps getting contracts. For a striker his goalscoring record is really poor.

• June 11, 2014 at 12:41

@Kennyp: I know,cannot believe we have given a contract to Easter.His scoring record going back a while is p*** poor.

• June 11, 2014 at 12:53

@Longfield Lion: Totally. Think he's scored around 79 goals in 343 matches, but that's bolstered by the 21 goals he scored for Wycombe between 2006 - 2008. Since 2011 he's played 90 games scoring 13 goals. Abysmal.

• June 11, 2014 at 11:11

Leave jimmy alone.

• June 11, 2014 at 19:10

@benzo: so say I ,,, gives his all for our shirt , Would much rather rely on Jimmy than some of the other wage bandits on the payroll ,,,,,onwards ,,,,,C O Y L .

• June 12, 2014 at 15:27

@benzo: ditto, give the man an ice cream Ollie!

• June 11, 2014 at 11:17

Why leave Jimmy Alone. Good player, loyal servant and all but he is out of his league in the championship.

• June 11, 2014 at 11:23

@Chipplefuddywick: agree with you about Abdou shame because he gives 100% hopefully under IH Chaplow will come good

• June 11, 2014 at 11:33

@eddiebrewer: Chaplow will break down in training!
        Time to get the broom out, cut our losses, and get some players in who aren't doing pension forecasts or making crutches their best friends.
        This all sounds ominously like a lack of signings on the horizon to me.

• June 11, 2014 at 12:13

@NICKOLA: Shame about Chaplow, if we could keep him fit he'd be like a new signing for us, but alas he is the epitome of a glass cannon!

• June 11, 2014 at 12:28

@NICKOLA: Yes, I'm afraid time has now passed and still no REAL Good signings, another bottom area of the championship seems to be LOOMING! ( Millwall fans deserve better ) it will be a Big Shame to have always bought a Season Ticket, and still no future for success on the pitch.

• June 11, 2014 at 14:22

@BUSHWACKER14:

So if we kept on playing like we did at the end of last season you would be diss appointed with the players we have. The squad needs tweaking it doesn't need destroying. Why panic like Rotherham are buying everything in site didn't lomas do that last season?

• June 11, 2014 at 15:56

@BUSHWACKER14: We saw every match Millwall played last season ( including friendlies ) , and We were disappointed, Yes! That most clubs played better than Millwall for the season, in 'FACT' - Only about 4 x teams played WORSE ! ( we do not want to start playing TEAMS in Lincolnshire, do we ? , LOL ).

• June 11, 2014 at 13:10

@NICKOLA: I agree about lack of signings on Horizon.
          I said recently that I was waiting before deciding getting a ST,on how signings go.
          And was slated for that - Well I am glad at the moment I have done that.
          Very worrying no significant signings yet - if at all ?
          And now this clean slate !!!

• June 11, 2014 at 13:17

@NICKOLA: Agreed. Even non league Lee Gregory Isn't busting a gut trying to sign for us and Forde and Martin signing contracts has had more deadlines than a middle east ceasefire. The ones that go to Portugal will form the basis of our season with a couple of players no one else wants. I think Ollie and we as supporters will be responsible for lifting, with motivation, an average team as high up the league as possible.

• June 11, 2014 at 11:58

We've got players who are not up to Championship football. We all know it. And there's no room for sentiment, or we will end up in League One. I appreciate the players who have put the effort in and give 100%, but there comes a time that is just not good enough if you want to compete. Honestly thought we would have seen much more or a clean out than we have.

• June 11, 2014 at 12:04

@Kennyp: Agree but problem is that they're still under contract thanks to our illustrious record in signing s***. Looks like Ollie can't shift them hence the 'clean slate' quote. I reckon we need five players coming in or we'll have another season like the last one. These players have had their chance. If they want to stay in the reserves, then let them.

• June 11, 2014 at 12:09

@NICKOLA: Yeah, amazing isn't it, we sign good players and give them short contracts, and the crap players seem to all be on long ones. In fairness who would want players like Wright? Ollie should be on the phone to clubs trying to give the deadwood away. Totally agree, unless we make 5 or 6 good signings we're going to be in the crapper again. I have faith in Ollie to make the good signings, just frustrating waiting, and even more frustrating to think we might be lumbered with the same deadwood as last season.

• June 11, 2014 at 12:07

Thats more like it Ollie, weird analogies is what we want, preseason is too dull. haha. I state again, we haven't what Josh Wright is capable of yet and I think he is the type of player that would fit into Ollie's system. I know I'll get slaughtered for saying it, but I think he is a decent player even in the Championship.

• June 11, 2014 at 12:36

@glyngo: I have to agree I believe his as good as Upson and Williams, I read something last season that Ollie liked the look of him and wants him in his future plans, I don't no why his getting slated so much

• June 11, 2014 at 12:30

Might be worth a look!! - Chris O'Grady's move to Charlton from Barnsley is off after he failed to agree personal terms, Sky Sports understands.
    Despite Barnsley's relegation from the Championship, the 28-year-old enjoyed an excellent campaign with 15 goals for the Tykes.
    Charlton were quick to make their move at the end of the season and they agreed a fee with Barnsley.
    However, following talks between O'Grady and Charlton, the deal has hit the buffers after the two parties failed to agree personal. terms.
    It remains to be seen whether Charlton will make an improved offer to the striker.

• June 11, 2014 at 12:45

@lancslion: why give the scum who put us in the mire a free pass ,.the players who done well have probably got the right hump watching shittu hoyte running to the ice cream van

• June 11, 2014 at 19:46

@lancslion: I reckon Charlton budget is not much different to ours, if Belgium Bob couldn't sign him maybe he needs to reduce his demands or face playing in League 1 next season.

• June 11, 2014 at 12:41

Why give these players a clean slate they've proved time & again they either can't be bothered to play for us or are just s*** get rid now. & start building for the future.

• June 11, 2014 at 16:40

@block 28: Well and Bravely said Block28.

• June 11, 2014 at 13:01

Come on when are we going to see some new signings? Fed up with all the hyped up chat.

• June 11, 2014 at 13:30

@Peckhamlad: I agree with you. We were supposedly interested in Newton but he signed for Rotherham. We were reported to have agreed terms with Webster but he still hasn't signed. Interested in Gregory but our bids are short of the Halifax valuation. Has IH made the "clean slate" comment because he is finding it more difficult to sign new players than he anticipated? With Easter, Marquis and McDonald as our only current senior strikers we are certain to struggle again next season. COME ON IH EVEN IF WE DON'T SIGN ANY ONE ELSE WE AT LEAST NEED 2 MORE STRIKERS!!!!!

• June 11, 2014 at 13:54

@denslions: calm down mate, still 2 months to go until the start of the season!

• June 11, 2014 at 16:48

@Peckhamlad: You are right, Peckhamlad. We want to win more matches then we lose, this season.

• June 11, 2014 at 19:41

@Peckhamlad:

So what does that say to the likes of Fred, o brien, pavey etc

The players who took us into a relegation scrap are gonna go again forget the last eight weeks what about the other 30 odd weeks of s*** !!

Hoyte give the fat c*** all the McDonald's vouchers he can get in his pockets if a professional footballer is told to lose weight and puts it on to me that's misconduct

Wright send him back to TOWIE as a extra his acting as a football should be his reference

Marquis !! Don't get me started

Chaplow if we lose him we can make a physio redundant win win

It's actually a shame about Chaplow as I think he is a decent player

But the other three what do we reckon combined 6-7000 a week so 300-350 a year saved on three players that won't get game time

Clean slate knowing hoyte he would f****** eat it

And before any ones says I know it's 2 months before start of season but the noises coming out are not postitve to taking this team forward

• June 11, 2014 at 13:08

No mention of ability, talent or a football brain from Ollie, which I suppose would rule out a lot of the present squad I guess, but if he can strengthen if a couple of key places (goals) and a holding midfeileder& a playmaker we could have a good mid table finish without all the worry we have had for the last two seasons.

• June 11, 2014 at 13:30

I love how everyone thinks they know better than a tried and tested manager at championship level. In Holloway we probably have the best manager in the league in my opinion and yet im reading comments about how he shouldn't give certain players a chance, that they are s**t etc. Who at the end of last season thought that the team he would go on an unbeaten run with for the last eight games were good enough to do so?? no one......but Ian brings out the best in players you cant knock that. let Holloway get on with doing what he does best and im sure, unlike a comment I read earlier that we will be at the right end of the table next season. This isn't championship manager people its the real thing. And as for signings........theres still a couple of months to go before the season starts. im sure we will have a lot to look forward to so just chill out instead of worrying what other clubs around us are doing.

• June 11, 2014 at 13:46

Fair play to ollie giving players a clean slate "before" the transfer window opens! You dopey donuts saying there hasn't been any signings, well there won't be until players contracts run out etc and Ollie and the like can approach players they want who are still under contract, the transfer window opens 1st July. Even bloody ginger ninja lomaxs signed a bunch of players in a short space of time, ollie has time so he will use it!!!

• June 11, 2014 at 13:50

@sketchybean: Well of course, it is possible to sign players now.
      They just don't technicallly become ours until July 1st.

• June 11, 2014 at 13:56

@NICKOLA: Quite right.We are not all "dopey donuts" ?

• June 11, 2014 at 14:28

@NICKOLA: @NICKOLA:?? May I remind you, we are Millwall. Any players we want have been targeted by not just us. So any potential singings will delay as long as possible to sign to get the best deal@Longfield Lion: I didn't say couldn't, but remember who we are.@Longfield Lion: @NICKOLA: I'm not specifically saying it's impossible, just think theres no point shouting about who we want. We can't even agree a deal for a player from Halifax

• June 11, 2014 at 14:30

@sketchybean: "We can't even agree a deal for a player from Halifax".

Or even tie up Forde or Martin to new contracts.

• June 11, 2014 at 14:13

@sketchybean: "Even bloody ginger ninja lomaxs signed a bunch of players in a short space of time"

Yeah, and look where that got us last season. Don't want to be in the position of signing all the dregs nobody wants again. Suppose all the managers already making signing in the Championship are Dopey Donuts too?

• June 11, 2014 at 14:20

Ees @Kennyp touch a nerve did I? I'm sorry for stating the obvious. Any transfer stuff now is all rumours and umost clubs don't declare signings until they have gone through!! And you're completely missing my point, what I'm saying is lomaxs had less time and bought rashly, holloway has time so will use it.

• June 11, 2014 at 14:29

@sketchybean: Erm, no, you haven't touched a nerve at all. I just gave my opinion, the same as you. Other clubs are already making good signings and I want us to as well, otherwise it'll be yet another year of pain for me having shelled out my hard earned for a season ticket. Hope we make five or six good signings.

• June 11, 2014 at 14:36

@Kennyp: Yea I agree, also worried about Forde and Martin too as I remember holloway saying he's concentrating on tying their contracts down before he looks elsewhere, which might leave it too late :-(?

• June 11, 2014 at 14:10

theres something Fuhrer-like about Ollies picture at the top of the article :D. Looks like Robbo will struggle to get any 'ice cream' this year unfortunately, with Dunne/Beevers/Shittu/Webster??/Williams also in the fold. Although I don't rate Williams at centre-back. Looking for Upson to push on this year alongside Bailey, needs to try and offer something going forward like Trotter (very rarely) used to do haha

• June 11, 2014 at 14:14

Have faith in Holloway and the board, they supplied everyone that Lomas requested last year (albeit some were sh*t) and spent lots of money. They will be willing to do the same this year, if i am not mistaken. They've got months till the season starts, so just relax...

• June 11, 2014 at 19:49

@Shittu's Hankey: absolutely, stop panicking Cpl. Jones we haven't even reached the halfway point yet.

• June 11, 2014 at 14:32

Anyway, my posts all went funny. Let's just hope we can sign at least 4 new players (goalscorers) because we have no goals in us at the moment. Can't rely on Malone to hit anymore dodgy strikes!

• June 11, 2014 at 14:44

@sketchybean: That is my main concern, goals. Let's face it, that's what let us down last year (along with conceding stupid goals which Holloway managed to sort out). We'd have been mid table if we had converted the chances we had. Holloway obviously knows that's where we are lacking, so I'd expect 2 strikers to come in, but who is another matter as it's not easy to sign goal scorers, unless the club are willing to shell out for them. We can only but hope and wait and see.

• June 11, 2014 at 14:48

@Kennyp: I know, most games we created enough chances, I lost count of the amount of open goals we missed, never seen anything like it. Fingers crossed Ollie comes good on the striker front

• June 11, 2014 at 15:35

Can't criticise Easter, works hard and a very good pro. Rather him than players like McDonald, hoyte... All the wage thieves.

• June 11, 2014 at 16:30

It's very noble to wipe the slate clean but some of these players are rotten to the core and others just aren't good enough,we will continue to struggle unless the squad is revitalised.We should never accumulated so much deadwood,if we are shopping in the bargain basement we have got to have a much more discerning recruitment policy.

• June 11, 2014 at 16:42

@norris: Keep it up Norris! You make sense.

• June 11, 2014 at 17:44

Holloway is no mug. Mid season he banished Bailey to the sidelines to improve his fitness, when most managers would want their top players in the squad when facing a relegation battle. That turned out to be a shrewd move. He wants a motivated camp for when the players return so he has to be seen to be giving everyone a chance. Don't forget Woolford was a lost cause before the season started and he turned out to be a revelation. I agree there are some lost causes, but who knows what form they will show when they come back for pre season.

Whatever happens i cant f****** wait.....NOLU

• June 11, 2014 at 18:10

@Windy:

... and how many times has Dunne been written off on this and other boards in the last few years?

And every time he comes back ... and then, for someone who isn't the most articulate, he manages to stir the troops with some tough words, change his role and become captain and the rest, as they say, is why Lions are still in the Championship...

There will be a FEW who are seen currently as 'has beens' and 'deadwood' who will make good - but we all know we need strikers. Give Ollie time - they'll come.

'Keep calm. This is Millwall'

• June 11, 2014 at 18:48

@kitch:
        KEEP CALM! KEEP CALM?
        After last season I need counselling!

But you are 100% right in your post.

If you look at Upson, Williams and Edwards who Ollie has bought in we need at least 3 forwards of the same standard and I'm sure Ollie will get them because people want to play for him.

• June 11, 2014 at 19:51

@MillwallGra: upson and Williams are superb signings who I am sure we will eventually sell on for a profit, hopefully after they have helped us get some success.

• June 11, 2014 at 20:19

@glyngo:
            It's their calmness on the ball and their ability to make the right pass then push on.

The rest of the team are buying into the Ollie way of doing things.
            He came in, stopped the rot and kept them up.
            They even went on an unbeaten run.
            Having achieved that I'm sure the players are 100% singing from the same (Ollie) hymn sheet.
            We just need the forwards who can play the Ollie way.
            (But they need to be young and with a bit of height on them)

• June 12, 2014 at 16:16

@Windy: who knows Windy, by the end of the season Hoyte and marquis could be vying for player of the season.

• June 11, 2014 at 18:54

Does anyone know if Ambler made any bids for players when he went to Portugal

• June 11, 2014 at 19:31

This sounds like, to me, he didn't get rid of everyone he wanted to and didn't get everyone he had hoped for. So fair enough, they stick to his rule then.

• June 11, 2014 at 19:58

4 get about the players we have ATM they will either come good or get dropped. Where r all the new signings, we still haven't made 1 signing yet. Fingers crossed we manage 2 get a few in.

• June 11, 2014 at 20:13

What do you guys think of Burke and zigic both out of contact soon an don't look like renewing I'm not a massive zigic fan but oil likes a target man and he is definitly a target

• June 11, 2014 at 20:28

Think zigic was on 80k a week ex premier contract

• June 11, 2014 at 20:35

@Millwall1979: Zigic is pants on top of pants. Dreadful. No no no. Burke a better call, but I would imagine he earns too much.

• June 12, 2014 at 16:17

@Millwall1979: he was on £60k and they offered him £5k lol

• June 11, 2014 at 21:07

I would always keep Jimmy, not just because he scored that goal, he is and has been a great servernt to the club, he must stay, even if it is just back up, same as Paul Robinson.

• June 11, 2014 at 22:00

@Big Millwall: A great servant yes. Up to Championship standard? No.
      Divided opinions on here about him. He did score that goal, but then I could have scored that goal.
      No-one else seems to have made an offer for him, Wright, Smith, Hoyte etc.etc. which for me sums it up.

• June 12, 2014 at 16:22

@NICKOLA: right place, right time. We've had players miss similar chances for us last season so let's leave Ollie to decide if Jimmy is up to it or not.

• June 11, 2014 at 23:41

Our team for next season..keeper p.isswater..lwb bugsy..rwb dustbin hoyte..cbs 100k beevers..dunno(really dont)..mid..the wand(williams)shy lad upton ..rumpole(bailey)..the wolf....strikers...........?........?

• June 12, 2014 at 06:40

@Jim28: Ha,ha,ha- that's why we love reading this Site, Jim28, always gives you a good laugh, leaving a smile on your face.

• June 12, 2014 at 08:56

@Jim28: What about Buster Edwards?

• June 12, 2014 at 08:30

What a fascinating read this thread has been. However think back to last summer when some quality players came in. We were starting to get excited. Then they didn't perform and we all slated them. Most of them players are still there and are still quality but now have a coach to guide them. This will be Ollie's season and I think it will be a fun ride. Final point, I will speak the taboo subject. Robbo, is way up there in amongst lions legends, but his race at MFC is now run. We'll see you again when your coaching badges are done.