Millwall striker Easter vows to return from break at his peak

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

JERMAINE EASTER has vowed to return from his summer break fitter and sharper than ever before.

Having scored some important goals for the Lions in the first half of last season, Easter was hampered by suspension and injury after the turn of the year.

That meant he made just six appearances after Ian Holloway's appointment in January, starting only twice.

But with a new one-year contract under his belt, Easter is determined to play a more prominent role in the 2014-15 campaign.

The 32-year-old said: "With regards to Ollie's reign, it all started to go wrong when I got sent off at Southend in the FA Cup.

"That was the worst possible time for something like that to happen because I missed his first three games in charge through suspension.

"When I eventually did get in the team, I went away on international break, came back and got injured just before the run in.

"I didn't play a lot in the second half of the season and it was stop-start for me – it was like that all year really.

"It's very important for me that I have a good pre-season and make a good impression.

"My new deal was triggered by a clause in the contract that Kenny Jackett gave me but Ollie told me within weeks of walking through the door that he wanted me to stay.

"It was pleasing to get everything sorted out and now I can concentrate on working hard over the summer, getting in good nick and coming back injury-free."

Easter is currently on international duty with Wales and says that meeting up with the national side will help him prepare for pre-season.

"You can't replicate football training on your own, so this helps," he said. "I'd had nearly a month off before I met up with Wales and the first few days were really tough – your body feels like it's missed four weeks.

"It's good to have this time with my country because it keeps me ticking over.

"I'll have another three weeks off before pre-season but I always look after myself and hopefully it won't take too long for me to get back into peak condition."

Easter added: "If I can come back super-fit and raring to go, I'm sure that will impress the manager.

"He's definitely going to sign other strikers and we need to sign strikers, but that's not really an issue for me. I'm focused on myself and making sure I can hit the ground running."

50 thoughts on “Millwall striker Easter vows to return from break at his peak

• June 6, 2014 at 19:18

Just the spirit we need. Good on you Easter and hopefully if you keep working hard, you can score a few goals next season. COYL

• June 7, 2014 at 16:08

@Jim28:

This feels like a filler run out by NaD until a real story comes up.

Clearly, there isn't much to reprt until Forde and Martin make their minds up or Ollie gets a decent striker.

I suppose NaD can't make them up ...much as they might want to sometimes

• June 8, 2014 at 17:09

@Alex Aldridge.:so the last 2 articles were a windup

• June 9, 2014 at 00:14

@Jim28: how do you think you guys will go in the World Cup Jim ?? F***, sooner or later it's gotta happen for ya!

• June 9, 2014 at 07:15

@Jim28: Gives us a hint..!!! we need to know if we are bidding for rejects from other championship clubs.... looking at young guns looking to prove a point at a higher level then the currently play.... or hasben's from the premiership which are 40 years old now...???? If

• June 8, 2014 at 22:19

@Alex Aldridge: enjoy the holiday mate, get freshened up and entertain some ladies on the workbench if ya get the chance!

• June 6, 2014 at 19:20

great attitude Jermaine!!!!

We need you to step up and hopefully gain form which i am sure you will with more minutes on the pitch.

• June 6, 2014 at 19:52

@JONO: does this mean he will play more than 20mins

• June 6, 2014 at 20:07

Never has been a goalscorer at his 10 other Clubs,never will be.
    I want to read about new signings - hopefully a goalscorer.
    Just saying.

• June 6, 2014 at 20:44

@Longfield Lion:
      Agreed. Very nice to hear that you're committed Jermaine but if you don't know where the goal is your berth could be filled by someone who does.

• June 6, 2014 at 20:12

Geeza has a good attitude and will defo be useful next season if he has a bit more luck regarding injury /suspension.

• June 6, 2014 at 20:13

you've always had a great positive attitude easter! good luck i hope you can make it back sharper and better than ever. coz we f****** need it tbh! not one of our strikers last year was anywhere near good enough. but that being said we need at least two brilliant strikers to come in asap. as we only have you, marquis and mcdonald which is not exactly a dream team status is it! heard we're looking at lee gregory halifax striker! got a great goal to game ratio. whether he can do it at championship level remains to be seen. morison managed it so fingers crossed!

• June 6, 2014 at 21:16

@steveomfc5: Worth a punt. I can't see why we don't muscle in and sign him asap. Could be a revelation. If not, not a fortune spent.

• June 6, 2014 at 20:56

He never be better than an impact sub. Can not understand how he got an extended contact

• June 6, 2014 at 21:09

Never rated him. Don't dismiss his passion but he'll be no more than a sub most of the coming season.
    I hope.

• June 6, 2014 at 21:18

What a total load of b*******. A 'professional footballer' quote : "I'd had nearly a month off before I met up with Wales and the first few days were really tough - your body feels like it's missed four weeks."
    His lack of intelligence almost matches his lack goalscoring ability. "Work hard over the summer, get in good nick and COME BACK INJURY FREE" So what the F**k else is expected from a pro ? ...Last time he could be considered half-decent was back in 2009/10 with MK Dons although I don't know which poxy division they were in at that time. This bloke couldn't hit a cow's a*** with a banjo ! Remind me, who's reject was he ?

• June 6, 2014 at 21:31

@frank: Dunno. But on a tangent, when we signed Hoyte he presumably passed a medical. How is that when Ollie took over he was in the 'red' with regards to his body/fat index? What do the medical team do? Make sure he can stand unaided?

• June 6, 2014 at 22:16

Always liked Easter. Great attitude. I'd take him over that knob Keogh every time

• June 7, 2014 at 00:44

@junkmale: neither manager last season gave him many games when they did it was for 20mins tops ..apart from harris fa cup .we know wot happened there...he's got a lot to pay back

• June 7, 2014 at 01:28

A striker will never find form playing 20 minutes here and there... We changed things up front week in week out last season. Strike partnerships are built on consistency and bouncing off each other every week so they can gel.

Easter and McDonald are not no mugs and i think would do better than last if they played more.

But saying that we do need a couple more up front.... A hungry lower league goalscorer and a proven championship goalscorer (which might be hard to come by)

McDonald plays better behind the front two, saw him play some great through balls last season but Jackson muffed them up, he has a good football brain.

• June 7, 2014 at 09:25

I don't feel that I can judge Easter as he has been in and out of the team since he joined us. He does seem to be a finisher but quite frankly he needs to play regular before I can tell.

• June 7, 2014 at 09:37

I think the comment made by Easter has been misunderstood and worded terribly, I don't see why people are getting on his back about it?

I'm pleased to see him stay personally, he does try and give 100% when given the chance and how many of you were slagging him off after the last minute goal v QPR or the winner against Wigan? Not many of you I bet. He won't be first choice, we all know that. We'll get a couple of strikers in and he'll be on the bench and I'd back him to nick a few goals through the season coming off the bench.

• June 7, 2014 at 11:38

The problem jermain is that your peak is 5ft 2in.

• June 7, 2014 at 14:02

@dragonflymfc: Haha true! Height is certainly an issue now with both Morro and Hoff gone - I wouldn't put money on Easter or Mcd scoring any headers.... A big issue last season - what's the point in playing for corners, if no one can get their head on it?????
      Very much looking forward to see who Ollie can get in... Someone with height, pace, not too old and can score..... that Toure fella will do...!
      But seriously, the striker spot should be an easy sell for Ollie - to the right sort of player. We've got a more settled core of the team with better tactics = better delivery... just looking for someone who is ready to step up and become a hero! A dream job if you've got the talent..... COYL.

• June 7, 2014 at 13:09

Easter marquis o'brien all would do well in the conference

• June 7, 2014 at 15:52

@wallchef: strikers ..in the eyes of mfc fans.have to score everytime they get a chance..in a ideal world it would be great.come on put your hands up who has applauded a scoser then 2mins later slated the same player

• June 7, 2014 at 20:27

@Jim28: I have never applauded a scouser...I always slate them off the work-shy, benefit claiming, shell suit wearing c***s

• June 8, 2014 at 00:29

@MFHC: too many bnnrs i meant scorer

• June 8, 2014 at 13:12

@MFHC: no one on benifits or wearing sportswear in South London is there. 😉 lol

• June 7, 2014 at 17:11

Easter's got a great attitude and work ethic. Not naturally gifted at all. But , he's a Millwall player for the next 2 years , let's back him ???? He deserves that at least , I've never seen him throw a strop. He may surprise us all given a run in the side , who knows

• June 7, 2014 at 22:43

@Big Millwall: @Block 8: Agree with you, jermaine may prove his critics wrong and just needs a bit of confidence and a few good games.

• June 7, 2014 at 18:40

I like Easter but all that chocolate is no good for my teeth.

• June 7, 2014 at 19:27

vows to return at his peak. 10 years ago.

• June 7, 2014 at 20:42

Easter would not get in the gillingham side....

• June 7, 2014 at 20:57

Give the lad a chance, if he could manage 5 goals in our first 8 or 9 games he will go on from there. One decent signing alongside and we have the basis of a decent partnership.

• June 8, 2014 at 00:04

Do any of you people see a chance that Scotty Mac can be reborn under Ollie's guidance , I thought for sure he,d be gone by now either of his own making or with Ollie's big toe firmly up his a***! Maybe there is some love ? If you want to punch the f*** out of me for this comment that's fine but these pages are my main source of imformation. Maybe Ollie sees some value in some of the old timers?

• June 8, 2014 at 11:07

@grassgrower: I thought Scotty Mac played some decent football last year. He could do with a boost of confidence hopefully Ollie will do that. He created some good moves and goals in a team thriving with confidence he could be vital. He always chased the ball down got back to help can't question his commitment for the team, he encouraged his team mates against Ipswich when they needed it. He applauded every miss placed pass and missed chances which is needed to get your team mates to play for eachother rather than moaning. I got goose bumps when Lee Martin missed the sitter from 6 yards out, he dragged him off the floor as if to say "come on lets go again"

Our current strikers will never find form being in and out of the squad each week let alone the starting 11. Problem was we had too many strikers last season.

• June 8, 2014 at 12:44

@JONO: thanks mate, appreciate ya views. Hope everyone can play a positive roll and I'd love to see macca get right in amongst it. Cheers!

• June 8, 2014 at 11:22

I swear I have heard him say this kind of thing before. Thats fine Jermaine, its all very well you wanting to return at your peak. The question is, is your peak good enough?

• June 8, 2014 at 12:39

The last time Easter scored regularly was bk in 2009-2011 playing for mk dons. 50 games 15 goals. Which just proves he's s***

• June 8, 2014 at 13:12

@block 28: As far as I am concerned he is a 30+ year old journeyman striker that was never a goalscorer but is OK for Millwall ???

• June 8, 2014 at 13:46

@Longfield Lion: if he was never a striker whats the point in him being here

• June 8, 2014 at 13:59

We've heard from Easter and we've had news from the groundsman. when are we going to hear about these signings?
    Christ, I'm bored.

• June 8, 2014 at 15:05

@NICKOLA: ha ha very true Nic I also heard the lines in the car park and toilets are to be reprinted

• June 8, 2014 at 16:39

@JONO: Well let's hope they all end up between the goalposts.

• June 9, 2014 at 08:05

Since we signing up a few oldies here n there the recruiting boys should've had a look at David villa the spaniard who has just signed to play for Melbourne victory in the australian a league for season 14/15. F*** knows why he,s bobbed up in the land of oz but at 33 he,s prob still got sum goals left in him. Anyway , can't you blokes make up sum b******* so we can all start communicating again, I miss you!

• June 9, 2014 at 11:13

@Kiwimillwall.:we were told ambler went to portugal to have face to face meeting about a couple of players..dont think the article was completely accurate ..the real reason he is there cos the football league haue got there general meeting there..we still dont know if websters actually signed