Time running out for Forde and Martin to sign Millwall deals

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

MILLWALL are cautiously optimistic that David Forde and Lee Martin will agree new contracts in the coming days.

After a month of negotiations, the Lions have now drawn a line in the sand and made the duo take-it-or-leave-it offers.

Manager Ian Holloway has told both players that he will move on to other targets unless they finalise terms before the start of next week.

NewsAtDen understands that Millwall have cleared a significant hurdle in their talks with Forde and are now confident that he will stay.

And Martin's agent will meet with chief executive Andy Ambler at the earliest opportunity with a view to thrashing out a deal.

"It's got to be done by the weekend because if David and Lee aren't going to sign, we've got to move on," Holloway said.

The Lions' hopes of keeping Forde were seemingly fading over a disagreement about the length of contract being discussed.

The 34-year-old, who has been linked with QPR, had been chasing a four-year extension but may now settle for a shorter deal which includes future incentives.

"We've got to the stage now where David has told us what he wants and we've made our final offer," added Holloway, who has lined up Blackpool's Matt Gilks as a replacement.

"It's about the club being in control, that's all. Players need to earn new contracts – they shouldn't be getting paid for doing well in the past because I'm more worried about the future.

"I want us to get towards the top of the Championship and I believe David can do that with us. And like all of us, he can be looking to earn his next deal.

"David knows how I feel about him and hopefully he'll meet us because it needs to be a commitment from both sides.

"We've tried to do as much as we possibly can because of how much I rate him. I hope David appreciates that I'm at my maximum. If someone else offers him a better deal, I can't have done any more."

Holloway has held a final round of talks with Martin in an attempt to keep him at The Den for next season.

And a source close to the winger, 27, confirmed that negotiations were now "moving in the right direction."

"I had a chat with Lee on the phone on Tuesday and I also expect that one to be over by the weekend one way or the other," Holloway said. "I'm hopeful that he'll want to stay.

"There are other things in the pipeline that I haven't really chased yet because I'm only going for my main targets."

36 thoughts on “Time running out for Forde and Martin to sign Millwall deals

• June 5, 2014 at 09:11

I want Forde to stay, but Gilkes would be a great replacement, but with Keepers it is important to keep the player you have if his form is generally good. I would say that Forde isn't quite hitting the standards of the first season in the Championship with us, but he is still an 8/10 player almost every game. If Ollie can get an extra 10% out of him I think he is a very valuable asset to the club.

• June 5, 2014 at 09:12

I do not blame player's for going for what they can get,but you are going the right way about this ollie player's do have to earn what they get'other player's will look at your attitude and know exactly where every one stand's.I am impressed with IH on this issue

• June 5, 2014 at 09:38

@jim1222: Don't blame someone like Fordey either. Just looking for long term stability which is clearly understandable however a four year deal is a bit ridiculous! Happy if he stays because I do think he is one of the best GK's outside of the premier league and has improved himself since being at the club.

As for Martin I'm not sure how he feels like he has some bargaining to do after spending half the season in the physio room. I like Martin and happy to see him stay on if thats the case but I'd love it if we got a player like Kazenga LuaLua who was released from Brighton. Exactly what we are missing from our side which is out and out pace! And he always seemed to score against us every game! (Or get Dunney sent off either way!)

BUZZING FOR THE SEASON! COYL!

• June 5, 2014 at 09:58

@Omer Ronayne: Lua Lua would be a good squad signing but he was released because he was Feeney's equivalent at Brighton.... great pace but loved hitting that 1st defender and rarely an end product.

• June 5, 2014 at 10:21

@Bradders: Disagree completely with you on that one. Everytime I've seen him play (a fair few) he is the spark in the game and at 23 has much more time to develop. Also for me fits a similar mould you would find when Phillips and Ince were with IH at Blackpool and Bolasie and Zaha at Palace. Has a decent eye for goal too.
          Feeney was just a dreadful player who couldn't hit a barn door from 5 yards out!

• June 5, 2014 at 10:35

@Omer Ronayne: I think we will just end up disagreeing with each other.... if he was as good as you say he is then Brighton would have kept him.... simple!

I like you have seen him a fair few times, his positioning isn't great, doesn't track his runners when he loses the ball, doesn't really bother with defensive duties and has only scored 1 goal this season (hardly a decent eye for goal).... but makes up for it with his pace.

He is only 23 so can be moulded by Holloway, I'd have him but only as a squad player.

• June 5, 2014 at 10:31

@Omer Ronayne: I thought LuaLua's contract was extended with BHA???? Would be great if he was available. Same goes for the ex Arsenal Kid, Chucks Aneke. Strength and pace is what is lacking.

• June 5, 2014 at 10:33

@Windy: Is what 'We' are lacking

• June 5, 2014 at 09:19

Does anyone agree with me but this is getting ridcolous on and on these talks are going and wastingprecious time if we need it to get new players in. Sign now or leave!

• June 5, 2014 at 09:32

@paulsanders22: I agree.Cannot understand the big fuss of getting Forde to sign.Go get Gilks or the Coventry goalie.

• June 5, 2014 at 09:33

Forde has been a great servant for Millwall, but after this messing about I actually want us to get a new keeper... a younger one like Gilks or Westwood who will be at the club for the next 5 years, rather than Forde who is keen to get 1 final big payday!!

I think Forde was at his best a couple of seasons ago, daylight robbery with the player of the season award and will always go down in Millwall history as a good solid keeper but it's time to move on and get a new No.1 keeper!! The messing about will leave u fans with a bad taste because of the delays & taking his time over signing a new deal..... it's easy, Millwall or No Millwall.... sign now or leave?

• June 5, 2014 at 09:52

Ollie has now laid his cards on the table and it's now up to both players to make their decisions. If they choose to stay, great if not then we move on.

• June 5, 2014 at 10:37

@harry2310: i dont blame either player..it would seem millwall was trying to get them on the cheap & a 1 year..martin wanted 2 ...fordey will probably get 2year with a view to extend...try were never gunna take the insulting first offer,would you

• June 5, 2014 at 10:42

@Jim28:

See what your saying but from a business point of view would you offer a 34 yr old a four year deal

Also with the amount of games Martin has missed he can't be dictating a two year deal

Right stance by club for me

And also right now to set a deadline

• June 5, 2014 at 10:09

I won't lose any sleep if both leave. Martin especially. He only put in half decent performances in his last 10 games - when his contract was up for renewal. As for Forde, he makes some great saves but also comes up with some howlers and is too weak on long shots which he never seems to anticipate and moves too late. Move on!

• June 5, 2014 at 10:34

Decent servant for the lions but he aint no brian horne or kasey keller!! Let him go & build for the future now..how he got player of the year after conceding so many goals is crazy! Coventrys westwood for me all day long

• June 5, 2014 at 10:42

@LionforLife: And he certainly is no Bryan King - CLASS.

• June 5, 2014 at 12:52

@Longfield Lion: you are so right mate king was the class f@@k forde off bring back bryan king he would still be better than forde.

• June 5, 2014 at 10:39

Any one heard what's happening with this Webster deal ?

• June 5, 2014 at 10:42

Martin was unlucky last season, Lomas didn't fancy him at the start of the season, picked up an injury mid season, come back under Holloway and was a big contributor in the way the team played at the latter part of the season. He's still young and with a bit of strengthening training this boy will be key for us next season(IF he stays). Everyone wrote Woolford off the season before last and now look at him. You cant afford for players like Martin and Forde to leave because you cant always guarantee you will find a better replacement.

• June 7, 2014 at 20:50

@Windy: Agree with you there Windy, Martin really showed what he was made of towards the end of the season and if he can stay injury free, he could make further progress and be a very exciting player for us.
      Also think Forde is a safe bet for 1 or 2 seasons- I feel more confident in his abilities than maybe 2 or 3 seasons ago... (Pressman deserves credit....) and in that time we could be looking into replacing Bywater with another youth/keeper and/or developing Denzel.
      If it ain't broke - don't fix it.....

• June 5, 2014 at 11:03

"It's about the club being in control, that's all. Players need to earn new contracts - they shouldn't be getting paid for doing well in the past because I'm more worried about the future". - Amen to that Ollie.

Would like to see Martin sign, I really rate him. He can fill the position that he said himself he prefers and that is just behind the main striker. Garvan played there and utilized to some effect but I think Martin could be just as effective - if not more effective there (As long as he stays injury free). Forde will sign I suspect but the club certainly shouldn't be held to ransom over his contract renewal. Gilks would be an excellent replacement otherwise.

• June 5, 2014 at 11:07

Makes no sense offering Martin a one year deal. If he plays well he can walk next summer without us getting a penny. As for forde I think his agent is in dreamland if he thinks he can get a four year contract for a 34 year old. Wot a plank also glad to see Ollie putting a deadline on the deals

• June 5, 2014 at 11:16

I wish something would happen on the transfer front to give the fans something to look forward to next season and add a few thousand to the gates. No has-beens, but pacey forwards, that put the bite back in our attack.

• June 5, 2014 at 11:38

p***** off with this ongoing circus now!!! sign or go it's simple. just go and get gilks ollie or even better almunia! and martin although a good player is on the bench injured more than the f****** pitch so wouldn't be the biggest loss.

• June 5, 2014 at 12:17

I'd say it's more important Lee Martin signs than Forde - been pretty average in a s**** team last year and easily replaced but we need our wide players and under IH I thought Martin looked a class act!!

• June 5, 2014 at 12:25

I'm getting the pox with these two, forde's not the best keeper I've ever seen anyway in fact forde just go, as for martin don't care aswell replace both.

• June 5, 2014 at 14:16

Seems like Oswald is taking his time and making sure he does the best he can in the negotiations. He,d be a shrewd operator me thinks! It's like a game of chess, does anyone know if hoffenburger has been signed by Real Madrid yet??? If he hasn't is there still a chance or is he completely emptied his locker? As long as the team balance and character of the blokes is good then roll on Ollie.

• June 6, 2014 at 00:09

@grassgrower: if olly dont get a big bloke and the hoff aint got a club..i dare say we may (& i put the emphasis on may ) see the hoff again

• June 5, 2014 at 19:35

We need to do what's best for Millwall, end of.

• June 6, 2014 at 10:32

Perhaps we should sign Manuel Almunia, available on a free from Watford, as a replacement for Forde. My only concern is that Almunia is 37, though it's not too old for a keeper. Thoughts?

• June 6, 2014 at 16:51

Not sure about Almunia but it looks like Forde and Martin haven't signed by Ollie's deadline so we are looking for another couple of players. I like the Blackpool keeper but he just renewed his deal with them.

• June 6, 2014 at 19:57

I don't want either to stay tbh. Both won't set the division alight. Fresh faces needed.

• June 9, 2014 at 06:24

Spoke with forde at the Italy v Ireland game, wasn't very positive have a feeling he is still playing us againist other clubs. Whilst he has been a good servant, if he can't make is mind up by now, time to move on.

The club are right take it or leave it now, time is running out and the club is bigger then anyone man. All can be replaces, my view would be with an up and coming keeper more long term.

• June 9, 2014 at 11:23

So I take it both deals have been taken off the table today ?